Old 06-12-2007, 07:52 AM   #271
Are we there yet?

Gallery: Jewelthief
Stats: 200+/150
WOE: Low- to Moderate-carb
Start Date: APR 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1960 View Post
I have a really strange question..................does anyone out there know why a blood sugar reading would be high in the morning?!?!?!?

I noticed that my blood sugars are pretty stable throughout the day, before and after meals, etc....., usually in the 90's, but some mornings I will wake up with a reading of 92, 88, 96, etc., and other mornings it will be 114, or 133? I am totally confused. I did have a very late-night snack the other night, and when I woke up and tested 8 hours later, it was in the 130's. Could the late-night snack be the culprit, even though I slept for 8 hours before testing?

I'm totally confused...............any help would be greatly appreciated.
[COLOR="SeaGreen"]That's not a strange question at all! I think a lot of us have experienced higher morning readings at one time or another, and I sometimes struggle with it myself. It's frustrating wondering what in the world??? and not knowing for sure...

Here is a good site with a name & explanation that may help you (dawn phenomenon), and if you'll read through this thread you'll find others talking about having the same problem with possible solutions or suggestions.

http://www.healthcentral.com/diabete...8/taming-dawn/

Karyn[/COLOR]
Jewelthief is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #272
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pescacat View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if the folks on here could help me with ideas/suggestions-I know no one is a doctor and these are just ideas but I welcome comments.
I've been having wild swings in my blood sugar-really low (below 40) and had to eat carbs to bring it back up. My typical situation is l**** this morning-I woke up with a blood sugar near 300 this morning but by noon it was low (near 40) and had to eat carbs to get it back above 70. Trying to stay on induction has been a daily failure and source of stress and unhappiness. My blood sugar always rises alot overnight and I don't get sugars in the 90's like other folks have reported on here when I stay on strict induction. I have to take insulin -both short and long acting (R and NPH) and I have very high insulin resistance with a long delay in my body's response to the insulin I do take (my peak for "fast acting R insulin" is 4 hours when it should be 30 mins) so it's a constant juggling act to not take too much when I wake up being so high in the morning and then preventing a blood sugar low/crash by lunch. Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Laura
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi, Laura

As I read your post, I also wondered if your meter could be at fault... How old is it, are your testing strips fresh, what about the battery?

Have you got two meters so you could test one against the other? (I know testing from one finger to the next can yield different results so I wouldn't expect two meters, even the same brand, to give the same reading but even readings within a few points of one another should tell you if the readings are good or skewed.)

One day I was getting a reading wildly off from what I expected, and it turned out to be my batteries. I put in a new pair and suddenly my numbers were looking a lot more like I expected.

Have you changed meds? Increased or decreased something you've been eating/taking, etc. that might account for such a wide range of numbers?

Are you FEELING these highs and lows? I mean, if my sugars were as high as 300 or as low as 40, I think I'd be reeling, I'd be so sick... What are you experiencing when this happens, and have you spoken to your doctor about this?

If this is unusual for you, it might be worth a mention to him/her to see if there's something they might consider that hasn't occurred to you yet...

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Linda1960
Stats: 246/201.2/145
WOE: Atkin's Low-Carb WOE
Start Date: Restarted at 205 lbs/Highest wt: 246
I want to thank all of you for the great info you submitted. I have really been pulling my hair out trying to understand what my body is doing.

I had tested my bs last week, and the one day it literally was at 80 first thing in the morning, and stayed pretty stable in the 90's throughout the day (before and after dinner, after working out, etc.....). The VERY NEXT MORNING, it was 133! Go figure!!!!!! Talk about confusion!

It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this strange phenomenon. I was so afraid of what it might be this morning, (because due to unforseen circumstances, I had a very late dinner at approx. 10 pm last night, and had to be up at 4:15 this morning for work), that I skipped checking it!:blush: I didn't even WANT to know! So I just avoided it altogether; (I know I shouldn't do that, but I was so frustrated, and it would have ruined my day completely if it came up high again this morning). Okay, so now that I confessed, I feel better! I can only imagine what it would have come up as this morning........... Guess I'll never know, so I'll just pretend it was 90.....

Feb 1998 - 246 lbs.-Highest weight Pre-Atkins. Lost 70 lbs on low-carb, and kept it off for years. Then gained some back when I stopped doing low-carb). I'm baaaaack!!!!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:10 AM   #274
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mermaid
Stats: 244/145 (highest weight ever 293)
WOE: HCG homeopathic Atkins/fat fast
Start Date: restart 12/24/13
Pescacat, I think it might be your meter too. If it's anything made by Abbott labs throw it out. I think Karyn covered it all. A blood sugar of 40 probably would have laid you out, like not even able to stand up or take a blood sugar reading, so if you were functioning well at that time, it's really suspicious for a false reading.

Diana, I missed your post where you asked about the water fast for diabetics. Probably some diabetics can do it, but I know I can't because if I go more than a few hours without protein during the day, I start feeling really foggy. It happened to me yesterday when I did not eat lunch until 3pm. I felt drugged. BS was 104, so it was some other reason I was feeling out of it. After eating some tuna salad, I perked right back up in about 20 minutes. But that's just me. If you want to try it, just pay attention and stop if you feel too bad. Really, I think K/E or ******* bootcamp is effective and challenging enough. I have not had any crashes on ******* as long as I eat 3-4 times a day, and have at least 20 grams protein each time (Lost 4 pounds in 4 days too!!).

For people with the high morning blood sugars, do go back on this page and read about the dawn phenomenon and gluconeogenesis, plus the links provided by other people. It's really important to understand it and not beat yourself up over it. You can change it over time, but not overnight. I do believe that diabetics should not eat after 6-7 pm if you are having problems with high morning blood sugars.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:21 PM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: pescacat
Stats: 332.3/263.7/170
WOE: VSG/Low Carb
Start Date: Oct 19, 2011
Hi,
Thanks Karyn and Lorena. I have 2 meters -one is an accu-check and the other is a one touch- and the batteries and supplies are fine. They read within a few points of each other when I double check using both of them. When I have these wild swings/bounces I feel horrible for a long time-and I definitely feel shaky, nauseated, sweaty/hotflash and bad when I am in the 30-40 range. I've had readings that low since I was diagnosed 9 yrs ago-and it always scares me terribly when that happens. Sometimes it takes a long time and lots of carbs to get it to rise which is also scary. Sometimes it then bounces really high-and this can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours. This unpredictability is one of the more frustrating parts of dealing with my body and how it is effected by diabetes.
I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. I was on induction but have fallen off due to the lows. TOM just left and it always messes with my sugars-just before it comes my readings go sky high even with strict low carb adherance and then somewhere within the first day or two I plummet to an unexpected low-I'm sure it has to do with hormone changes and such. Anyway, that rollercoaster ride each month is no fun and right now I'm still fishtailing/swerving all over the blood sugar chart trying to get stable again.
I can wake up high OR as someone else mentioned, wake up with an ok reading (like 109) and then my sugar will shoot up 50-90 points within an hour or two before my insulin kicks in and then I stay high because I don't have enough insulin to counteract the new higher blood sugar. My doctor here is at a loss about what to do with me since I can't take actos (and don't want to since the big warning came out the other day), I can't take glucophage and I'm allergic to all artificial sweeteners. I just use diet, exercise and insulin to try to manage my sugars. I'm very frustrated at the moment and feeling down because I can't even stay on induction one day without brekaing it due to having lows.
--Laura
pescacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:58 PM   #276
Major LCF Poster!

Oh Laura, I feel for you so much!! I've heard about "brittle" diabetics who have radical and unpredictable blood sugars, and I think it would be terrifying. Losing weight would probably have a positive effect, but that's what you're trying to do, and the blood sugar lows are interfering. Ack.

The only things I can think of are these:
You have other allergies/sensitivities that may be messing with you.
Other hormones need to be balanced.

If I were in your shoes, I would be scouring the internet for information on what other brittle diabetics are doing that might be successful.

Hopefully, someone on this thread will have some better ideas. I'm sorry it wasn't a meter problem--was really hoping.
mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 PM   #277
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LBishop
Stats: 151.5/144/125-129 5'4" 48yo
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Restart November 2010
Maintaining on ATkins

Hi all, I have a question. My dh has never been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, but he has classic symptoms, shaky, irritable, have to RIGHT now, sort of feeling when he hasn't eaten in a couple of hours. However about 3 months ago, I convinced him to go low carb with me after my doctor recommended it to me. He has not had a "low" since and is completely sold on low carb. He's lost 30 pounds, but doesn't need to lose anymore. (6'0", 184 or so, medium build) What we need to do now is maintain his weight by adding in some foods that will help do that without causing him to start having the low spells again. I hope someone can give me some direction. One other thing, he drives a truck (long haul) so he's on the road all the time, can't cook, but when he's home I make a lot of stuff to send with him in his fridge. Hope someone can help. thanks, Leisa
Old 06-15-2007, 03:35 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shespeaks
Stats: 5'2" & 41
WOE: Atkins-based LC, "eating to my meter" for Diabetes
Start Date: Restart 3/3/2014 - 199/191/135
Outing Myself :)

Hello all! I finally de-lurked today to post in another thread so I thought I would join you all in more than just spirit.

I'm an Atkid from way back, dropping from a size 18-20 to a 4-6 in 2004. I was able to stick to my guns for about a year and a half before becoming sick with something my fleet of doctors could never diagnose. For about six months all I could keep down was mashed potatoes and Sunkist orange soda.

I'm sure you can imagine what happened next.

So fast forward 18 months to April/May of this year and I'm back up around a size 16, figuring I have my whole life to take that off, especially since my husband and I are starting fertility treatments and I don't need to be doing anything drastic right now. But lo and behold, what should my pre-flight checklist contain but a fasting blood glucose test? No problem, right?

[COLOR="DarkRed"]
[/COLOR]

Oh for Pete's sake.

My GP told me to cut the carbs and thank the gods, I already knew how to do that! Two weeks later my FBG was down to 160, though my A1c came back at 10.8.

I'm still solidly on the wagon, and except for my morning numbers (stupid dawn phenomenon) I'm doing well. No meds, and by lunchtime I'm usually around 110, and in the 90s by dinner. I love Atkins!

Anyway, that's my story, and I've been glad to read yours lately as well. As soon as I heard the news I started reading here again, and have been following your stories for support through the initial shock and depression - you've already meant more to me than you know. So thank you for being here, and I look forward to getting to know you!
Juliet

Last edited by shespeaks; 06-15-2007 at 03:36 PM..
shespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 PM   #279
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi, Juliet, welcome!

Mashed potatoes and Sunkist, huh? Sounds yummy. I miss mashed potatoes occasionally and will still treat myself to a bite if as friend is having them...

Yikes on that a1c! Did you freak out? My doctor did an a1c on me initially to diagnose me and mine was 7.8, which she said was not good. I hover around 4.5 nowadays so she's much more pleased! I don't do straight Atkins but I do eat pretty low carb, trying to stay around the 20-25 mark.

Keep it up, sounds like you're doing what you need to to pull yourself back in line... It's not "fun" but it definitely works, and personally I find that I can eat so many foods people deny themselves to eat "healthy" so I don't truly feel deprived. If I crave something I shouldn't eat, I'll try to fill the hole with something on-plan, and if I simply can't get it out of my mind, I'll have 1 or 1 bite, depending on what it is (usually a biscuit, why is that?! ).

Anyway, glad you dropped in. We post infrequently here in this thread but generally encourage and applaud one another's efforts. I think I learned more about getting my blood sugars on target from these people than from everywhere else I read stuff.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 06-15-2007, 11:11 PM   #280
Are we there yet?

Riddle me this, folks

[COLOR="Purple"]Hi, y'all... I have a question I'd like your thoughts on.

I know it runs the gamut what foods each of us can tolerate in what quantities, like some of us do better on low, low carbs while others seem to function well on as high as 60 carbs a day (or more?).

I am puzzled by something that has happened to me a few times in the last year. I occasionally have a biscuit--typical white flour, shortening, etc. biscuit "like mom used to make"--and I occasionally have say, a cupcake--typical cake-mix type cupcake with a frosting. (Very rarely, okay? )

What I notice is that seemingly the cupcake does not run my sugar as high at a 2-hr mark as the biscuit will. I can't find any information in my searches that would explain it. Does this make any sense to you, or is it just some anomaly that I experience and nobody else knows what I am talking about?

Thanks,
Karyn[/COLOR]

Last edited by Jewelthief; 06-15-2007 at 11:12 PM..
Old 06-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
Just a guess, but it may be that you get a quicker spike with the cupcake and by the time the 2 hour mark arrives and you check, the bs is on it's way back down. I'm thinking way more sugar with the cupcake than the biscuit. Have you ever checked at other intervals (say 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 3 hours). Could also be that it is a slower but longer spike with the cupcake and at the 3 hour mark you could see the higher mark.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 AM   #282
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
Just a guess, but it may be that you get a quicker spike with the cupcake and by the time the 2 hour mark arrives and you check, the bs is on it's way back down. I'm thinking way more sugar with the cupcake than the biscuit. Have you ever checked at other intervals (say 1/2 hour, 1 hour, 3 hours). Could also be that it is a slower but longer spike with the cupcake and at the 3 hour mark you could see the higher mark.

Sheryl
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Hmm, nope, I am a stickler for that 2-hr mark... I will have to remember to test at those intervals too and see how it differs because I hadn't thought about that.

Thanks, Sheryl. I figured since I couldn't find anything in searching the web, etc. that maybe it was just a fluke thing with me, thanks for not calling me crazy. (Psst, doesn't mean I'm not crazy, but thanks for not telling me you think I am! )[/COLOR]
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #283
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SLynnB
I learned about testing foods at the various intervals from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. He's a very lowcarb practicing Type 1. A search for his book will bring up his website which has some very informative information from his books. It was from him I learned that tomatoes are a no-no food for me and it was after I almost totally eliminated tomato-based meals from my eating that I finally saw my blood sugars start to go down and started losing a little weight. Still have a long way to go. That and learning that maltitol and most of the other sugar alcohols cause an unacceptable bs rise (good-by to Judy's SF candies).

Anyway there are foods that will quickly escalate your blood sugar and then it will start dropping, there are foods that have a slow rise affect. Always good to know what foods do to you at the various intervals. And, as always, those foods differ for everyone.

Sheryl
SLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #284
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlynn9 View Post
I learned about testing foods at the various intervals from Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. He's a very lowcarb practicing Type 1. A search for his book will bring up his website which has some very informative information from his books. It was from him I learned that tomatoes are a no-no food for me and it was after I almost totally eliminated tomato-based meals from my eating that I finally saw my blood sugars start to go down and started losing a little weight. Still have a long way to go. That and learning that maltitol and most of the other sugar alcohols cause an unacceptable bs rise (good-by to Judy's SF candies).

Anyway there are foods that will quickly escalate your blood sugar and then it will start dropping, there are foods that have a slow rise affect. Always good to know what foods do to you at the various intervals. And, as always, those foods differ for everyone.

Sheryl
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I test more often than my doc thinks I should (started out 4 times a day then she said I could do it once daily & stagger the times/meals I check) but I try not to obsess (her words) about it. I always test more on higher carb days or when I've had something new that I don't know will affect me negatively or not.

What I haven't done is extend the "extra" testing to different intervals than the 2-hr mark.

I have read the information at Dr. Bernstein's site; I need to hunt down a copy his book and read it all! Tomatoes were my downfall originally too, I them and could eat them at every meal (and in summertime I did!). AND haven't we always heard how good & low fat they are for us? But, not so good for diabetics, no.

I still buy tomatoes but I only have 1 a day of the Campari-sized ones when I buy them... We weighed the biggest tomatoes in the package and all came in at about .6 ounces or less (.8 carb count by my food program) so I indulge and get a pack about every other week or so.

Oh, and Sheryl, if you miss those candies, you could try this fudge at Netrition. Carb Counters Ready-to-Eat Fudge

I broke down and bought some of the chocolate, but several people have tried the others too and thought they were good. I think the mint chocolate was least favorite of the bunch.

Read my review on the site if it's something you think you'd like... It isn't like our traditional, sugar-filled treats, but it is yummy and NO bs spike for me.

Karyn[/COLOR]
Old 06-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #285
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: carrielyn
Stats: 186/177/140
WOE: SBD
Start Date: restarting 1/18/11
I went two weeks ago for blood work (cholesterol and thyroid, mainly) but this past Friday the doctor's office called and told my husband they wanted to put me on glucophage and were sending me a prescription. Monday morning I phoned and asked why. I had not seen any of the numbers. I was told everything looked good but my A1C was 6.9 and should be in a range of 4.8-5.9. (Thanks to this thread I now have an idea of what an A1C is.)

I told them not to send the prescription I was going to see if I could correct this with diet and exercise and was told that was good. Come back in six weeks for blood work.

Friday, after my husband called me at work with this wonderful news I went on line to see what I could find out. I came across information on Fenugreek and as I looked thru this thread I didn't notice where anyone is using it. Because of what I read I went to Whole Foods and bought some to see if it will help. I'm also using apple cider vinegar (a diabetic friend of mine has had wonderful success using this) and cinnamon. I am also taking glucogannam prior to meals to help.

I'm doing a more South Beach Diet Phase 2 right now but may switch over to LC based on some of what I've read here.

In my rather clumsy way I'm wondering if any of you have heard about fenugreek or have used it to help lower blood sugar?

Thanks,
Old 06-19-2007, 03:36 PM   #286
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: soon
Stats: restart 07
WOE: whatever works
Carrielyn what is glucogannam sounds alot like glucophage is it a prescription?
soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #287
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
Just popping in to say 'hi' to everyone. My blood sugars are looking good this week which is a good feeling. I lost 5 more pounds when I went to the doctors. Not a much as I was hoping for but I guess it's better than gaining 5. So I lost 6 pounds total in a month. I just can't seem to stay away from the Sugar Free Pudding with Whip Topping or the Mock Cheesecake Bites. I'm not even trying to avoid them because the more I avoid them, the more I will want them. I allow myself to have 1 of each per day but some days I find myself snacking on them twice a day They aren't making my numbers go up but I know they probably aren't helping me with losing weight and they aren't helping me learn to stop leaning on food either.

I will measure myself a week from Saturday, hopefully I've lost some inches.

Hope everyone is doing well!
in the origin of your Light.
Matthew 5:14-16

ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #288
Senior LCF Member

Sorry, misspelled, Glucomannan is a dietary fiber (not a presciption). It has been recommended that if taken about 20 minutes before meals it will help to keep portions under control so that one eats less. With my crazy life I only seem to get it used prior to lunch at the office but it does help me to not overeat. I guess some have had success with it but it probably needs to be used with more frequency then I use it.

I guess no one has heard about fenugreek. After reading about it I felt it's worth a try. It's an herb used in Indian curry dishes and other countries in that general area. Some studies have been done on it that strongly suggest that someone with pre-diabetes can have a blood sugar drop of about 20 and that a diabetic can have the same drop but also have an improved cholesterol reading. If you google diabetes and fenugreek there is some information out there.

I'm hoping that between diet, exercise and fenugreek I get an improved reading in August when I go back.

This is a very informative thread and please if anyone can think of something I should do as a newly diagnosed diabetic please don't hesitate to let me know or if I'm doing something I shouldn't be I need to know that also.

Thanks,
Carolyn
carrielyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:59 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

One of the links I found does have advisories if one has conditions or is taking medications for a condition. I'm attaching it

http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH...l?d=dmtContent

As with any informational site on the internet we definitely have to use our good sense.

Carolyn
Old 06-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #290
Senior LCF Member

For those curious about glucomannan please read the following site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucomannan

This is very good information regarding glucomannan and it's effect on obesity, constipation, diabetes type 2. It is limited but it's a good starting place for obtaining information.

If you read up on glucomannan and fenugreek I would love to know your opinion of what you've read.

Carolyn
Old 06-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #291
Major LCF Poster!

Carielynn, I cannot find your original postso forgive me if I am repeating anything:

Glucomannan is what they make shirataki noodles with. I also have it in powdered form (Starwest brand) that I use as a thickener for sauces, soup, and yogurt. I am very grateful for glucomannan, but I have noticed that if you eat it when really hungry, it can slow absorption of food too much so that you remain starving even after eating and are then at risk for binging. I recommend that it be eaten when one does not have low blood sugar and when you're not too hungry. Another fun superfood to fool around with is chia seeds. They make a gel when put in water that is very high in fiber and omega 3 fatty acides (similar in profile to flax) but does not have the strong taste that flax does, so it's more versatile. Also more expensive. My daughter now asks for her yogurt "with the seeds in it" and she's a tough critic.

Fenugreek did no good whatsoever for me. I read that it must be defatted husks of the seeds, but I could not find that form in my searches, so it could be why it did not work. Geromatrix Glucose Balance is still the most powerful blood sugar formula I have found, followed by progesterone cream and alpha lipoic acid. Of course, everyone is different.

Diana, you really are doing great. Any weight loss at all combined with stable blood sugars is wonderful. As for those cravings, we all have them and it's a struggle. I think you are doing the right thing having a little right now, and trying to wean off of them at some point. The way I would handle it is to find alternative recipes that are similar but may not contain triggering ingredients. Have you tried making mousse with cream and chocolate whey protein powder? I don't really know what's in the fake cheesecake thingies, but I do know that many of us need to completely steer clear of cheesecake due to not being able to stop eating it.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #292
Senior LCF Member

Lorena, thanks for the response. This is all new to me. I take Glucomannan in a capsule form prior to a meal but perhaps not often enough. I also have the fenugreek in a capsule form. I won't know if they are doing anything until I have blood testing done in August.

I have some ALA at home and, based on what you've said start taking it. I also have a progesterone cream called ProsteCare or something like that. Have you found one to be better then another?

My doctor has told me nothing. He only wanted to put me on glucophage, no explanation, nothing. There are times when he drives me crazy.

Thanks again....I'll just come online and read more on this thread and learn all I can.

Carolyn
Old 06-20-2007, 12:36 PM   #293
Major LCF Poster!

Hey Carolyn,
Too bad about your doctor not telling you anything--all too common. So, you do have to just educate yourself through books, etc. Fortunately, there is plenty of reliable info out there.

I am on my fourth month of using Progestacare, and the results have been very good for me. It really reaffirmed for me the link between female hormone imbalance and blood sugar problems. My one container of Progestacare has lasted all this time, so I have not tried any other brands. When this runs out, I plan on trying other brands to see which works best. I've heard that they do differ.

Do read through this thread for a wealth of practical information. I think it has helped a lot of people.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 PM   #294
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: ChristiansMom
Stats: :( :| :)
WOE: HFLC
Lorena you are so uplifting with your words, I hope you know how special you are to those of us still new to the whole diabetes world.

The mock cheesecake bites are from a recipe on this site.
The ingredients are:
16 oz of cream cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract

Mix everything together and bake in a muffin tin. I add a 1/2 teaspoon of SF Strawberry Jam to the tops before baking or I mix in pumpkin pie spice instead. I also ground up sliced almonds and place a tiny bit in the bottom of each muffin cup before adding the filling. They are REALLY good but I've been doing pretty o.k. with not eating them all at one time. That recipe makes 12 muffins and that will last me a week (but I share with my son and DH too).
I was never a big cheesecake eater before now and they are good but 1 will satisfy me and any desire to have something sweet is gone after I eat one.

I think the bigger issue is the SF pudding and whipped topping. I'm going to look into your suggestion. I haven't seen a rise in my blood sugars after eating a little 1/2 cup serving but they are addicting and the whip topping isn't a good idea, I would imagine. They have very low carbs and maybe 1 sugar per serving but I could eat two cups a day and still want more - that's not good.

Thanks for your encouragement!
ChristiansMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #295
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="DimGray"]Hey, everyone! So nice to see some new faces and more people posting.

I have heard of fenugreek although the glucomannan isn't a name I've familiar with, thanks for posting those links. I always find lots of interesting things when I follow the paths others suggest. I have been taking cinnamon (1g per day) for about a year now and I believe it helps me. There have been a couple of weeks here and there when I've run out, and I saw a noticeable difference in my readings.

I have recently decided to try R-ALA. I haven't finished my first bottle yet, only a couple of weeks into taking it. No fireworks so far.

When you start a new supplement, how long would you think you'd use it before you decided it wasn't really doing anything for you? Some medications, etc. take a little while to become as effective as they will be, you know?

After only a couple of weeks I'm not really noticing anything... Was just wondering what your experiences might be.
[/COLOR]
Old 06-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #296
Are we there yet?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Diana, hi, good to hear your sugars are coming on down... Congrats on the weight loss too, I really think that helped me a lot when I'd lost a few pounds.

I struggle with treats too; that SF pudding & cream cheese I suggested earlier in the thread is SO good it is a challenge to not have more. So far I have managed to always only eat the one serving per day or so, but where I get into trouble is with the really carby stuff.

Every so often I eat off-plan, a small piece of the bread they serve as an appetizer in the restaurant... half a piece of cake or cupcake... Just a taste as compared to LBD (life before diabetes), but this past couple of months I am feeling temptation so heavily! A small taste must be worsening it for me now rather than appeasing.

I'm going to see if I can get myself going in the right direction again... Don't want to sabotage how far I've come! I am not as hungry when my carbs are super low, looks like I need to revisit some old menus and see where I'm going wrong. (Yeah, I know the bread is one "wrong" path, but I used to pass it up much, much easier. It's not feeling so easy these days.)

My BS readings are pretty good still, it's my appetite and fear of gaining that's bothering me...

[/COLOR]
Old 06-21-2007, 06:41 AM   #297
Senior LCF Member

Quick question. I've been eating carefully, no sugar, no white/refined flour or white rice. Some processed foods. I had what felt like a sugar crash early yesterday evening. I had some leftover salad and some nuts and it passed but is this something I should monitor? Since I have only just been diagnosed and not given any instruction by the doctor (except for wanting me to take another pill) would any of you recommend I buy one of the monitors you've recommended and check myself to see how foods/exercise are affecting me?

Any/All information is much appreciated....

Carolyn
Old 06-21-2007, 07:11 AM   #298
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dreamerdee
Stats: 232/163/140-150ish
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6-14-03
Hi Carolyn,

I think having a monitor is an excellent idea. I've always had mine paid for by whatever insurance I've had. And they pay for the test strips, which end up being the biggest cost. Check with your insurance. You may need a script from the doctor to have them pay. One insurance company I had sent me their "preferrred" type of monitor. It was fine. Then my new insurance sent me a newer version, even tho the old one was still working fine. I saved the old one as a back up.

I have to check in with their diabetes nurse every 2 months, and in return they send me free strips, lancets, etc. Works for me.

Last edited by dreamerdee; 06-21-2007 at 07:16 AM..
dreamerdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 08:24 AM   #299
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Dee.

Since the doctor has not done anything except offer a glucophage prescription, and has made no mention of testing I will probably have to wait until I see him in August to get a script.

The idea of sticking myself deliberately is not something I look forward to (I'm sure this is a shared sentiment). I generally poke myself at least once when I'm sewing and I always try to avoid it.

I guess it's time to have a different mindset...

Thanks again,

Carolyn
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #300
Major LCF Poster!

I have read about and heard about diabetics having more hunger and cravings than the average person. I most surely experience that myself, even in deep ketosis, and I'm really seeing it in a lot of your posts here. There is no easy way around that issue, really. Hoodia can help--sometimes and for some people taking some brands. Avoiding sweet treats, even low-carb can help for some people, but for other it just magnifies the cravings. For some people having some low carb treats every day keeps them satisfied, but for others it just causes more cravings. I myself am different at different times, and on TOM days, look out! During that time I almost have to spend a few days in manacles to not overeat.

Carolyn, I think that cream cheese is a bigger weight loss staller than whipping cream for most people, but neither raise blood sugar much. Just something to think about. Don't know why that is. I think you really should have a blood sugar monitor. It is the best way to stay safe and learn about how different foods affect you. I randomly test throughout the day to see what is going on. Even after a year of doing it I am learning new things.

Dee, the R.ALA did not have much effect for me either, but the 600 mg of regular ALA taken once in the morning and once at night really helped. It also helps make me less puffy in the morning and I can get up earlier without feeling groggy.

Here is my experimental recipe for the day: I am going to mix glucomannan powder and splenda into chocolate unsweetened almond milk and refrigerate it awhile to see if it makes a decent pudding. I might also put a splash of cream in it. I saw on the internet that some people put diet pop in it, but that didn't sound very good to me. I am avoiding soy and whey protein right now, because they seem to cause cravings for me. The only treats I've had in a few weeks have been tea with splenda and a little cream and almond milk. I did manage to lose 6 pounds.