Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jennyl
Start Date: manana
tell me why low carb is good for lowering cholesterol

I've heard that low carb is good for lowering cholesterol, but for so long a lower fat diet was prescribed for this problem. Does anyone have any experience with low carb affecting your cholesterol?
Jennyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Slinky
Stats: 213/195/160
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 6/18/14
Check out that movie Cereal Killers. It's free until tomorrow on a Dr. Mercola's site. I think it would answer your question.

Someone had posted aboutnit and I was glad I watched it.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
if all you wanted to do was lower your total and LDL cholesterol numbers, low carb doesn't help much. but the fact is, those are not very accurate measures of your heart risk.

low carb changes your LDL from small hard particles which are dangerous to large fluffy ones which are fine. and it lowers most people's triglycerides a LOT and they are probably even more important.

it gives you a more healthy lipid profile, even if your basic numbers don't seem to be improving.

if your LDL seems too high after you have low carbed carefully for awhile, get your doctor to run a VAP test to see what your LDL particles look like. this is pretty advanced for most doctors, so be gentle but firm in asking for it and explaining why you need it.

good luck.

Last edited by ravenrose; 07-03-2014 at 05:30 PM..
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Low carb MAY not lower your total cholesterol or LDL (good explanation by Ravenrose above). It WILL lower your triglycerides, which are markers of inflammation. Those are probably the best indicator of risk, despite the emphasis on LDL, which, it turns out, does NOT correlate to cardiovascular risk. LDL has gotten so much attention, I think, because statins will lower LDL, and the data has been manipulated to make it appear that that has a significant impact on risk. The drug companies have managed to control doctor's opinions--they pay for the research, they educate the medical community, their message is the one heard.

In reality, statins do not reduce cardiovascular risk, except for a small segment of the population (males under 65 who have had at least one cardiovascular event already).

Keep in mind that the typical way of calculating LDL-C becomes inaccurate when triglycerides are lower than 100. So you may appear to have a higher LDL than you really do. Meanwhile, your triglycerides will be down and HDL up--exactly what you want to see.

And when triglycerides go down, HDL goes UP. HDL is known as "good cholesterol" but it isn't even really cholesterol (neither is LDL for that matter), however, higher HDL is protective and lowers cardiovascular risk to a degree. Since total cholesterol counts HDL and LDL, that's why your total cholesterol may go up, but that doesn't mean your risk of cardiovascular disease goes up, it may just mean that your HDL is up--a good thing.

Fun fact: Post menopausal women with higher cholesterol live LONGER and are more healthy than women with so called "good" cholesterol numbers.

So the easy way out is to believe that total and LDL cholesterol correlate to cardiovascular risk (they don't) and therefore believe that using low fat highly inflammatory oils to replace saturated fats (Omega 6 oils lower LDL but they are highly inflammatory), high carbs (sends triglycerides through the roof and lowers HDL) keeps cholesterol numbers low but does NOT translate into better cardiovascular health (50% of people who have cardiovascular events have LOW cholesterol). People hung up on the numbers for LDL and total think they've done a great thing to lower LDL and total, but it's not the case. However, it sells a lot of statins and carbs, doesn't it?
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Great post Jan! Should be a sticky for all the times that people get freaked out about their 'cholesterol'. Or we could all print a copy and send it to our physicians!!!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
Low carb MAY not lower your total cholesterol or LDL (good explanation by Ravenrose above). It WILL lower your triglycerides, which are markers of inflammation. Those are probably the best indicator of risk, despite the emphasis on LDL, which, it turns out, does NOT correlate to cardiovascular risk. LDL has gotten so much attention, I think, because statins will lower LDL, and the data has been manipulated to make it appear that that has a significant impact on risk. The drug companies have managed to control doctor's opinions--they pay for the research, they educate the medical community, their message is the one heard.

In reality, statins do not reduce cardiovascular risk, except for a small segment of the population (males under 65 who have had at least one cardiovascular event already).

Keep in mind that the typical way of calculating LDL-C becomes inaccurate when triglycerides are lower than 100. So you may appear to have a higher LDL than you really do. Meanwhile, your triglycerides will be down and HDL up--exactly what you want to see.

And when triglycerides go down, HDL goes UP. HDL is known as "good cholesterol" but it isn't even really cholesterol (neither is LDL for that matter), however, higher HDL is protective and lowers cardiovascular risk to a degree. Since total cholesterol counts HDL and LDL, that's why your total cholesterol may go up, but that doesn't mean your risk of cardiovascular disease goes up, it may just mean that your HDL is up--a good thing.

Fun fact: Post menopausal women with higher cholesterol live LONGER and are more healthy than women with so called "good" cholesterol numbers.

So the easy way out is to believe that total and LDL cholesterol correlate to cardiovascular risk (they don't) and therefore believe that using low fat highly inflammatory oils to replace saturated fats (Omega 6 oils lower LDL but they are highly inflammatory), high carbs (sends triglycerides through the roof and lowers HDL) keeps cholesterol numbers low but does NOT translate into better cardiovascular health (50% of people who have cardiovascular events have LOW cholesterol). People hung up on the numbers for LDL and total think they've done a great thing to lower LDL and total, but it's not the case. However, it sells a lot of statins and carbs, doesn't it?

I think you need to question the conventional wisdom that lower cholesterol is a good thing. In general, it isn't. If you read "Grain Brain" by David Perlmutter and "The Big Fat Surprise" by Nina Teicholz you will realize how we have all been lied to about the meaning of blood cholestrol levels. Higher cholestrol is actually better for long-term health for the vast majority of people.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I remember reading somewhere (Taubes I think) that at the same time researchers in the US were tying high cholesterol to heart attack (erroneously) Japanese researchers tied low cholesterol to cancer. Japanese patients were being told to keep their cholesterol UP to prevent cancer at the same time we were being told to stop eating eggs. They were eventually bowled over by the diet-heart hypothesis like everyone else, but now it looks like they were right.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
GME

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
There is a cartoon segment in Fathead that has a basic explanation of cholesterols work in the blood.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:48 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meme
WOE: Atkins-2002 New Diet Revolution
This is great info...
Thanks
Meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #11
Red
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Red
Stats: 181/164.3/150
Start Date: December 2013
You are absolutely correct Jan. I had a heart attack at 40 which was followed by a quadruple by-pass. My doctor said my chloresteral wasn't high to have that kind of blockage but he put me on statins anyway for "Maintenence". I took them for about 7 yrs until I started reading up on low carb woe. Grain Brain and Cereal Killer are two very informative books. Needless to say I took myself off of the statins. I don't trust what the governments guidlines are. There is to much money being made and changing hands for those guidlines to me in "my best interest." I feel much better since I have been on lc woe. I haven't lost a lot of weight, only 17 lbs in 7 months. But I don't care, the main thing is I feel SO much better over all. I'm not saying everyone should do as I am doing, I just no what is working for my health.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCShan
Stats: Lost 22 lbs... 20 to go.
Start Date: April 16, 2014
This is a duplicate post, as I posted it last week on another thread, but thought it may be useful here. I had a more in-depth cholesterol panel done in April, then again just a couple of weeks ago after I had been doing LCHF for 3.5 months. All of my numbers improved... even my LDL and total cholesterol!

My doctor scared the heck out of me about my LDL-P (2185) and wanted to put me on a statin because she has never seen anyone bring this number down with diet/exercise. I didn't want to go on a statin and, after lots of research, decided to give the low carb/high fat diet a try. I was kind of nervous about what I was doing though, after being so brainwashed about fat being bad my whole life. So I was thrilled yesterday when I received my test results after eating low carb (20-30g) and high fat for 3.5 months. Here are the before (April 2014) and after (July 2014) values:

LDL-P 2185 1878
Small LDL-P 1439 976
LDL-C 156 130
HDL-C 45 45 (stayed same but was fine before)
Triglycerides 126 102
Total Cholesterol 226 195
HDL-P 29.9 37 (higher is better)
LDL size 20.1 20.4 (higher is better)
LP IR Score 62 52
LCShan is offline   Reply With Quote