Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2014, 05:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LCShan
Stats: Lost 22 lbs... 20 to go.
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 16, 2014
Cholesterol tests - very worriesome... Can LdL-p be reduced by LCHF?

Hi All. Glad to find this site as I make my way into the world of low-carb!
So, I saw a new doc who scared the living daylights out of me. “Your numbers are really, really bad. It’s scary. If you don’t get on a statin right away, you could have a heart attack anytime! You have no choice." Yet, everything I read about statins seems so scary… and from what I’m finding out, they don’t even decrease LDL-p, which is the number she was focused on, so what’s the point?

I am 43, 5’8″, about 40 lbs overweight, BP 110/70, EKG was great, glucose 93, do not smoke, no meds, moderate exercise 4 times a week, enjoy beer periodically. I believe my maternal grandfather died from heart disease at about 80 years old… other than that, no heart disease in the family and grandparents on both sides live into late 80s/early 90s. I have always eaten mostly healthy, though high carb food.

Tried taking the doc’s advice and stictly following the diet she gave me... low-carb, focuses heavily on fruits/veggies and lean meats, relatively low-fat, and instructs me to eat 5 small meals a day. That lasted about 5 days.

Been doing LCHF since - started 4/15. The first 2 weeks I lost 10 pounds. However, the last 4 weeks I haven't lost a pound. Don't care as much about that though. I feel really good and think I'm doing the right thing to get my numbers in check. Read Cholesterol Clarity and learned a ton!

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm not taking a statin. But I hope this woe helps my numbers. Can't help but worry a bit, as there is so much conflicting information out there and really hard to know what to do.

LDL-P 2185 (this was apparently the disturbing number, as it should be <1000)
LDL-C 156
HDL-C 45
Tri 126
Total 226
HDL-P 29.9
Small LDL-P 1439
LDL size 20.1
Large VLDL-P 2.2
Large HDL-P <1.3
VLDL Size 42.9
LDL Size 20.1
HDL Size 8.3
LP IR Score 62
LCShan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

And I never really asked what I wanted to ask here. Has anyone specifically seen their LDL-P decrease after changing to LCHF?
Old 05-20-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan 2014
Yup. Mine did. I had a physical a year ago and had high chol. I had another physical this year after 4 months on LC and my numbers all were better, including the LDL. HDL was up (which is good) and trigs were down too.

My chol is now very close to yours, except for trigs which are lower.
frteach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks frteach. Do you know your LDL-P (particle count)? That's the one I'm most concerned with, as it should be <1000. It's nice to know that your LDL and triglycerides decreased!