Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
VAP Test

Has anyone asked for one? Does most health insurance cover it? Also do you ask for a VAP (that rhymes with Zap) test or V.A.P.?

I went off Lipitor 2 months ago after about 7 yrs of taking it. I started low carb eating Sept/2013 and Nutrition Ketosis Jan/2013. I had blood test last week and my numbers are terrible and now my doctor wants to put me back on statins.

I'm not going to take the statins, but I am confused as to why my numbers are so bad. I wonder if chewing 2 tums 7 1/2 hrs before testing could have made a difference? My ratio is 3.5, which I was hoping would be lower.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
My endo suggested it when I mentioned it to him--and we both referred to it as VAP (rhymes with sap), and other doctors have used it that way with me, too.

My insurance covered it, but I don't know about 'most' because they all differ.

If you have trouble getting one, here's something my endo told me. My LDL was 100% Pattern A, the large, fluffy kind that's supposed to be 'good.' My endo told me that he's noticed that if his patient has a high HDL (mine is always 90+) and low trigs (mine are usually 50-60), then the LDL is always the 'good' kind.

This might help you if you can't get a VAP test.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:46 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I also say VAP and my insurance covered it.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
My endo suggested it when I mentioned it to him--and we both referred to it as VAP (rhymes with sap), and other doctors have used it that way with me, too.

My insurance covered it, but I don't know about 'most' because they all differ.

If you have trouble getting one, here's something my endo told me. My LDL was 100% Pattern A, the large, fluffy kind that's supposed to be 'good.' My endo told me that he's noticed that if his patient has a high HDL (mine is always 90+) and low trigs (mine are usually 50-60), then the LDL is always the 'good' kind.

This might help you if you can't get a VAP test.
Thanks. I have no idea if asking for one will be a problem, but I'm assuming it will be...sigh. I found an equation to use to see the ratio between trig sand HDL, which is supposed to be helpful if no VAP test. Below 3.5 is supposed to be good. Mine is exactly 3.5, so what does that mean?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
I also say VAP and my insurance covered it.
Thank you. I thought that was how to say it, but didn't want to embarrass myself. I've been known to make up my words on occasion.