Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 225/225/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 05/05/2014
Cholesterol

I just had my yearly physical last week and they ran bloodwork and my cholesterol was really high. She wanted to put me on medication or do diet and exercise to see first. I opted to try diet and exercise first. I asked her what is best low calorie or lower carb diet (I did atkins years ago and lost but over the last 6 years have gained it back ) She said definitely not low calorie and low carb was better. Which was nice to hear. Both dr and nurse suggested limiting carbs.

My question is has anyone had the numbers go down doing low carb? Also, which did you follow Atkins or South Beach?

I am thinking of doing the low carb again.. I knew I did it once I can do it again but I want to know it will help lower my cholesterol numbers.

Thank you in advance for any advice and responses.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mimivac
Stats: 160.4/131.4/132 -- body fat % 42.2/31.8/24
WOE: Back to low carb
Start Date: July 1, 2012
Many people have had their cholesteral numbers go down with low carb. I'm sure you will receive lots of helpful posts. Good luck.
mimivac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
My levels went down doing Atkins. I know they were high in the past but don't have exact numbers, I was in denial. But after 5-6 months on Atkins, everything came back within range. I don't know enough about the South Beach diet to say which would be better.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: leeloo
Stats: 222/186/140
WOE: Atkins/whole foods/KISS
Start Date: 1/15/2014 (this time)
My cholesterol levels have dropped from borderline high to normal after a couple of months of low-carbing. This happened this year (2014) and also the last time I did low-carb, in 2001-02.

I do Atkins, pretty much by the book.

I'm not sure that low-carb would "cure" high cholesterol for everyone, but I'm pretty sure that you can at least improve it. Good luck!
leeloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: frteach
Start Date: Jan 2014
Mine went down a lot! Last year at my physical they were high enough to trigger the "you need medicine" talk. This year I began LC in Jan. Had to have my yearly physical last month. They came down 21 points just with LC diet! No more talk about meds (which I wasn't going to take anyway).

LC will bring trigs down but it also boosted my HDL and lowered LDL. It can happen. I hear that for some people it can take longer though.
frteach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:28 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Well, aside from arguing what high cholesterol REALLY means, I think it SHOULD be controlled only by diet and exercise. It's been since January for mine. Been thinking I should get it checked again. Maybe at mid May since that'll be exactly 4 months.

Okay, I can't help myself. 80% of our cholesterol is produced by our body. Yes, our bodies can betray us; but by and large, the body knows what it's doing even when we don't. I don't like the thought of interrupting that process artificially by medicines that may carry with it far greater contraindications than what we're trying to "improve" in the first place. High chol. has long been sort of the "gold standard" benchmark of risk factors in our cardiovascular health. However, it's not the only factor AND perhaps not even the most significant after all. There are plenty of people with cardiovascular health issues with normal or even low chol. And indeed, the body NEEDS chol. which is why the body produces it. The overall total of chol. tells us little of what's going on. Tho I am indeed anxious to see my numbers and ratios improve (you know, I guess just in case I'm wrong or just to gig people when they are sure I am one piece of bacon away from a heart attack), I am far more concerned with the visceral fat that just LOVES to hang around my belly.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: flappa1016
Stats: 320/245/150
WOE: Started on Atkins; transitioned to Primal
Start Date: September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Well, aside from arguing what high cholesterol REALLY means, I think it SHOULD be controlled only by diet and exercise. It's been since January for mine. Been thinking I should get it checked again. Maybe at mid May since that'll be exactly 4 months.

Okay, I can't help myself. 80% of our cholesterol is produced by our body. Yes, our bodies can betray us; but by and large, the body knows what it's doing even when we don't. I don't like the thought of interrupting that process artificially by medicines that may carry with it far greater contraindications than what we're trying to "improve" in the first place. High chol. has long been sort of the "gold standard" benchmark of risk factors in our cardiovascular health. However, it's not the only factor AND perhaps not even the most significant after all. There are plenty of people with cardiovascular health issues with normal or even low chol. And indeed, the body NEEDS chol. which is why the body produces it. The overall total of chol. tells us little of what's going on. Tho I am indeed anxious to see my numbers and ratios improve (you know, I guess just in case I'm wrong or just to gig people when they are sure I am one piece of bacon away from a heart attack), I am far more concerned with the visceral fat that just LOVES to hang around my belly.
Yes! My sentiments exactly!

The only number I really worry about are triglycerides, which I think directly correlates to inflammation in the arteries and its relation to CVD. I was in a similar situation where my GP wanted to put me on a statin (never!). LC worked for me. While my total cholesterol is now considered in the high range, my triglycerides dropped like a rock and my HDL went up. My GP has since backed off on pushing the statin. And I've noticed that when I've been less strict with being LC, my triglycerides increased during the time that I was being less strict. Now that I'm more diligent again, my triglycerides have gone back down.

I suggest you read the book Cholesterol Clarity by Jimmy Moore. There's also a subforum here that deals strictly with cholesterol and heart health. Check it out: Cholesterol and Heart Health - Low Carb Friends
Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post

Agree!!! I saw a great video on youtube that was all about cholesterol and the over perscribing of cholesterol meds, it was an excellent video but I watched it awhile ago and the title escapes me....
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

For some reason the Cholesterol Primer thread that I found so informative doesn't show up on the Cholesterol and Heart Health subforum anymore, so I did a search for it. This is the best place to start if you're looking at cholesterol health and how it ties into LC eating:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ch...ol-primer.html
flappa1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Yes low carb will drop your cholesterol. But, I don't worry about it anyway. The number they want is just pulled out of a hat. And they are thinking of lowering it again!!??

And, what Marsha said!!!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappa1016 View Post
Yes! My sentiments exactly!
Quote:
Agree!!! I saw a great video on youtube that was all about cholesterol and the over perscribing of cholesterol meds
Of course, I know I'm "preaching to the choir" on LCF here, but I still love to be agreed with and it keeps my "game" up when I get sucked into the next futile argument.
Quote:
The only number I really worry about are triglycerides, which I think directly correlates to inflammation in the arteries and its relation to CVD. I was in a similar situation where my GP wanted to put me on a statin (never!). LC worked for me. While my total cholesterol is now considered in the high range, my triglycerides dropped like a rock and my HDL went up. My GP has since backed off on pushing the statin. And I've noticed that when I've been less strict with being LC, my triglycerides increased during the time that I was being less strict. Now that I'm more diligent again, my triglycerides have gone back down
Excellent ... and precisely how I feel, too. My trigs were just okay so I am looking to see them improve. I will never go on a statin either. People may disagree but the way I look at it is it is an "informed" decision on my part, whether I'm ultimately right or wrong. You can, of course, make an informed decision TO take them. But either is better than blindly following advice which may then end up harming you. I take responsibility for it, I don't hand it over to someone just because they wear a white coat.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: carla70
Stats: 225/225/150
Start Date: 05/05/2014
Thanks for all the responses and information. My dr did suggest medication but said that diet and exercise would be first tried which I was glad that it was an option and not just medication. Not ready for that.
carla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

There's an article in the NYT today about overuse of statin in women and how a growing number of cardiologists are questioning the efficacy of prescribing them for women, given the higher risk of side effects. It's titled A New Women's Issue: Statins, and was written by Roni Rabin.

I find it humorous that the one dissenting voice in the article was from a doctor that has ties to the pharmaceutical industry.

Quote:
Although women represent slightly more than half of the population, they have been vastly underrepresented in clinical trials of statins. As a result, evidence on the benefits and risks for women is limited.

Women tend to develop heart disease about 10 years later in life on average than men; women’s risk begins to equal that of men when they reach their mid-70s.

Studies have found that healthy women who took statins to prevent cardiovascular disease did experience fewer episodes of chest pain and had fewer treatments like stents and bypass surgery. But statins didn’t prevent healthy women from having their first heart attacks and didn’t save lives.

Last edited by flappa1016; 05-05-2014 at 06:19 PM..
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Stats: SW:310 CW:266 GW:130
WOE: LCHF/Keto
I think I should add that it usually takes 6 months or more for diet to really start to make an impact on cholesterol levels. There is some individual variance, though, so you and your doctor may want to keep monitoring.

Keep in mind that if you're losing weight (particularly a significant amount) it also may cause your cholesterol levels to increase temporarily.

Also, not to hijack the thread but I'm curious to see what level of carbs people were eating at to reduce their cholesterol. I've read that you have to go pretty low. My father is eating around 20g, all in veg. He is happy with that but I'm curious to see if this can be relaxed a bit without problems.
backseatadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 09:16 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I initially did an extended induction, but now I'm eating between 50-75 net. When I was in my less strict phase I was probably eating 150-200 net, and my trigs went up to 130. Now I'm back down in the low 90s.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:49 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: soonergal76
Stats: 388/332/150
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 01/12/2014
My cholesterol has greatly improved since I started eating LCHF less than 4 months ago - I started 01/12/14. I have lost 39 lbs. in this time.

My LDL cholesterol was 165. Last bloodwork I had done (2 weeks ago), my LDL was 105. I don't remember what my trigs were, but the doctor wasn't concerned one way or another.

I do remember he said everyone came down... unfortunately, including my HDL. So now he is having me add a niacin supplement to help increase that back to where it needs to be.

Also, my blood pressure, which was running about 145-150/80-90. This last time I was in there, it was 128/70.

My blood sugar has never been high, but at my weight and having diabetes on both sides of my family, it was a concern that I lose weight.

Edited to add: My carb intake is between 30-45 carbs per day.

Last edited by soonergal76; 05-07-2014 at 09:50 AM..
soonergal76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: luvs3pugs
luvs3pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:24 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
Anything with the carbs low enough will do I think
Mr_Geiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Removed. Posted in wrong thread.

Last edited by flappa1016; 05-28-2014 at 02:40 PM..
Old 05-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Galoutofdixie
Stats: Back up to 156 :(
WOE: Atkins-Induction
Start Date: March 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by frteach View Post
Mine went down a lot! Last year at my physical they were high enough to trigger the "you need medicine" talk. This year I began LC in Jan. Had to have my yearly physical last month. They came down 21 points just with LC diet! No more talk about meds (which I wasn't going to take anyway).

LC will bring trigs down but it also boosted my HDL and lowered LDL. It can happen. I hear that for some people it can take longer though.
Same experience here. Went down about 21 points, raised HDL, and lowered LDL, and Trigs.

I do Atkins as well. I chose Atkins because for me, eating very low carb is much easier and simpler, and if following the Ladder, I can identify trigger foods faster.

I decided against South Beach, as I know that it's easier for me to stick to a plan with less carbs. For me personally, having the amount and kinds of Carbs such as sweet potato, that are allowed on South Beach, just keep me craving and hungry all the time. Almost like following a low calorie diet. Every one is different though. I do Atkins 72.

Good luck with the plan you choose.
Lamentations 3:22-23

"He has always been faithful to me; even when I was faithless, He never wavered. My life is testimony to His great mercy & love."
Galoutofdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/126/125
WOE: Atkins'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'm happy with my results (esp the ratios) so will repost it for you:

I've had higher cholesterol numbers for several years. I have a great doc who, although he mentioned statins, was willing to work with me and suggested some supplements. He was excited with me that I'd lost weight w/ low carb. Just got my cholesterol numbers back:

Total: 194
HDL: 85
Tri: 57
LDL: 95

Mostly, I'm doing Atkins. I eat oatmeal occasionally and flaxseed muffins and am still able to remain in ketosis. I actually ate quite a bit of oatmeal and muffins the two to three weeks prior to my lab work. Not sure what really worked for me; supplements, eating lower carb and higher fat, eating fiber, or even the increased exercise, but I'm glad for the good results.

Good luck and let us know how your next labs turn out!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Quote:
Originally Posted by werkn'it View Post
I've posted this elsewhere, but I'm happy with my results (esp the ratios) so will repost it for you:

I've had higher cholesterol numbers for several years. I have a great doc who, although he mentioned statins, was willing to work with me and suggested some supplements. He was excited with me that I'd lost weight w/ low carb. Just got my cholesterol numbers back:

Total: 194
HDL: 85
Tri: 57
LDL: 95

Mostly, I'm doing Atkins. I eat oatmeal occasionally and flaxseed muffins and am still able to remain in ketosis. I actually ate quite a bit of oatmeal and muffins the two to three weeks prior to my lab work. Not sure what really worked for me; supplements, eating lower carb and higher fat, eating fiber, or even the increased exercise, but I'm glad for the good results.

Good luck and let us know how your next labs turn out!
Congratulations on your great numbers! Can you share what supplements you take?

Last edited by Ronnie51; 06-06-2014 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: grammar
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/126/125
WOE: Atkins'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie51 View Post
Congratulations on your great numbers! Can you share what supplements you take?
Thank you!

I take Omega 369, Garlic, CoQ10, Cinnamon (w/ chromium), Flax Seed oil, Vit C and E and when I remember, Cholesterol Down. I was also taking Apple Cider Vinegar.

My previous numbers were down a very small bit, without making any dietary changes, by taking CoQ10, Omega 369 and/or Flax Seed Oil and garlic.

As I said, it is hard to say exactly how useful the supplements are and I am NO expert on supplements. I've recently quit taking ACV (bad for teeth and bones - I have osteopenia), and I'm not going to purchase any more CoQ10 when I next run out because of the price. And I've been researching E a bit more and am not convinced that it is helpful. I'll be interested to see if there will be any change in my numbers. I'll have to wait over a year until my next labs...

Some people suggest non-flush niacin and red rice yeast as well.

Hope this helps.
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote