Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: larrsz
Stats: 240/237/203
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Not happy with Blood test

I got my most recent blood results back today. I am sure my Doc is going to want to talk to me about LCHF, as he wasn't too happy about it when I went on it- which I have been on for about 2 months now.

For full disclosure, I am on statins and prescription strength fish oil. Help me make sense of this and what I should do next. I have done Atkins before with good results, but this time I tried to skip induction and have been somewhere between OWL and maintenance. I have not lost much weight but feel much better and have lost inches because clothes are fitting much better than when I started.

Total Cholesterol 183
HDL 36
LDL 94
Triglycerides 303
Glucose 106

What I am struggling with is where I went wrong. As I said, I have done Atkins before with good success and this time I am not seeing it.

I suspect a couple of things that I'd like input on, namely diet drinks, fried vegetables and low carb breads/roll/tortillas- which I have never had on Atkins before. Although we do not eat them much we do have one tortilla or other low carb bread item every couple of days and I have been frying turnip fries or rutabaga fries once a week. I also did have a large meal the night before the test of low carb enchiladas made with low carb tortillas filled with beef and cheese followed by some chocolate dessert made with cocoa, cream cheese and splenda although I had nothing for 11 hours before the test. I have also been drinking 3-5 diet drinks a day (2 diet sodas and 3 glasses of iced tea); are these things the culprits?
larrsz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
normally triglycerides are pretty much dependent on carb intake. I am surprised yours is that high if you are holding your carbs at all low... have you ever had a better triglyceride number?
ravenrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: larrsz
Stats: 240/237/203
WOE: Atkins/Primal
Start Date: March 17, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
normally triglycerides are pretty much dependent on carb intake. I am surprised yours is that high if you are holding your carbs at all low... have you ever had a better triglyceride number?
Yes, but I have had trouble with Tri's for many years. The first time I remember having an issue they were 1300 about 20 years ago. LCHF brought them down to 85 that time. Also about 5 years ago they spiked to 800 at my annual physical and I got them to 100 again on LC. Last time (about a year ago), they were at 183 and my cholesterol was a tad better as well.

I am finally prepared to go LC forever now as my SO has finally seen the LC light and we can do it together. However, now I am struggling with these numbers. Unfortunately, I do not know where they were 2 months ago as I was starting the plan. My thought is to start back on induction, strict Atkins '72 and get another test in a couple of months.

What befuddles me and makes me think it has to be the things I added that I have never done during LCHF (listed above) is the glucose levels- I have never had an issue with this while on LC before.

Last edited by larrsz; 04-02-2014 at 12:16 AM..
larrsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Statins have been shown to increase the risk of diabetes in women. For that reason, I'm planning on talking to my doctor at my next appointment about maybe stopping the statin, which I've been on for 15 years. But now that I'm post menopausal, my A1c has been creeping up and so has my fasting glucose. If he okays it, I may try SloNiacin instead to see how that affects my numbers (assuming the side effects don't do me in). I see you're also on a statin; maybe that is affecting your glucose numbers.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote