Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
Help with numbers-upcoming appointment

I have an appt with my dr next week.. and she's a statin believer...
my labs currently are

total - 259
LDL 167
HDL 73

3.5 ratio
non HDL 186?

should i be on a statin? Thanks... with the new guidelines now.. its confusing..
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: poe2you
sorry.. also my trigs.. were 95...
poe2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I'm no expert, but I see no one has replied so I will. Your doctor didn't do an NMR which would have given you much more information as to your LDL particles, so I can only address the numbers you've posted. Depending on any other risk factors you may have such as family history, your blood pressure, age, weight, glucose, overall health, your LDL is high and some doctors treat with a statin based on LDL alone. Your HDL is very good as are your triglycerides. I know many people on this board are anti-statin; I've been on 20 mg Zocor for many years and while my numbers are good, I do suffer from lower leg pain and cramps when resting which I think are a side effect of the statin. But my sister has coronary artery disease so I feel lowering my LDL outweighs the risk of developing that disease. Latest research shows that statins can increase the risk of diabetes in women, plus higher doses may cause kidney disease so I've been revisiting taking this drug (although 20 mg Zocor is not considered a high dose). So far I haven't said anything to my doctor about stopping the Zocor, but I'm thinking about it. So, you will need to decide if the benefits of a statin outweigh the risks since based on your LDL, I feel you doctor will suggest you go on a statin.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mikeparker
WOE: Ketogenic, extremely limited fruits, 5% veggies.
Start Date: March 2011
Hi Poe.

Your numbers look great! Doctors are required to get you to take a statin if your total cholesterol is over 200. They can get into trouble. Tell them you don't want any statins. The side effects can be extremely bad. Not to mention, they shut off a lot of cholesterol formation at your liver - and every cell in your body needs it.

This all boils down to the old lipid theories of the 1960s. The only individuals that seem to benefit (possibly outweighing the side effects) from statin scripts are those who have already had a heart attack, and those individuals who refuse to change their diet to LC.

As long as you are on a true LC lifestyle, your LDL should be the correct type A, which reduce atherogenicity. The best ratio to look at is HDL:Trig and yours is great.

Everyone's total cholesterol varies, and it varies by genetics, ethnicity and age (aside from diet). However, total cholesterol is not the cause of anything - it is just present and reducing it increases your cancer risk. Studies show that over half of all individuals that have had heart attacks had normal or low total cholesterol levels. There is no increased risk of heart disease or attack.

Most doctors know squat about nutrition, and thus go verbatim on what they're told about total cholesterol and prescribing statins. A good way to test your doc is by explaining some of this information to them and see their reaction. I bet you they will also recommend cutting down on cream, butter, fat and red meat.

Last edited by mikeparker; 12-06-2013 at 12:04 PM..
mikeparker is offline   Reply With Quote