Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: asad
High Cholesterol with LCHF

I have just received my latest lipid results and they are:

Tot 263
LDL 187
HDL 38.6
Trig 88.5

My doctor wants to put me on statin but i am refusing as my HDL and Triglycerides are ok and since LDL is a calculated number. I cannot afford an LDL particle test as it has to be done outside my country. I feel my health is much better now with LCHF and don't want to quit LCHF.

I need to discuss my numbers and may be improve diet accordingly but its difficult if not impossible to get an RD or physician who believe in low carb diet here where i live. Does anyone know of someone i can chat with to give me some guidance
asad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it is not unreasonable to ask for a direct LOL test before medication.

I feel for you on this. not sure what to suggest. just remember no matter what the dr. says, they are not holding you down and forcing you to take the pills.

best of luck
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Actually, your HDL is low for both sexes (especially for a woman). Your LDL-C is quite high but an LDL-P test would give you a much clearer picture. Since that's not doable, would you consider taking an OTC Niacin, like Slo-Niacin, (which is the best OTC I've read about)? If you do try Niacin, don't take a "No Flush" type as they're useless. Or you can try Red Yeast Rice which is also a supplement which works similar to a statin. Even with low carbing, this can be a genetic issue which wouldn't be helped much by diet anyway.
Ronnie51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/193/150
WOE: Westman Plan LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 2014
Seeing a lipidologist helped

I was lucky enough to find a good lipidologist, and she has monitored my lipids though the particle test. She discovered that my very high LDL-P (small particles—bad!) was due to genetics, so no matter how great my other numbers were (HDL 85), no matter what I eat, no matter the kind of exercise I do, my LDL-P will remain high. She put me on 40 MG Atorvastatin (Lipitor), and the LDL-P is now optimal. I am feeling great on it, and it's now been over a year.

LCHF is awesome for me. I had to get to the point where I could give up all artificial sweeteners because I was not losing weight, and I am positive that they caused me to not only not lose weight, but also made me eat more. I was addicted to sweet, and now I'm not affected by it.
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mr_Geiri
Stats: 209/170/170
Start Date: December 2013
LCHF does not worsen cardiovascular health but rather improves it.

Cholesterol is your friend not your enemy. Despite common belief it has never really been proven that high cholesterol (including LDL) damages your health. It is actually such a important chemical that your body produces 80% of it, and every cell in your body is capable of this. A large part of your brain is cholesterol so it's not surprising that common side effects of STATINS is worse memory. People on STATINS are more likely to get diabetes and Alzheimer and they do not live a day longer than people who chose not to go on them.

Here is a good documentary about saturated fat and cholesterol. It's amazing how these theories have become such facts when there has never been any strong science behind the claims.

Mr_Geiri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:54 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperTop
Stats: 178/131.2/130
WOE: Moderate carb/protein/fat
Start Date: January 15, 2006
Six weeks ago my #'s were:

Total 343
LDL 253
HDL 66
TRIG 122

Dr wanted to put me on Lipitor. I filled the prescription but then came home and researched. I decided that I didn't want to be on a statin but the #'s really concerned me.
I had been low carb/moderate fat (with a few lapses here and there) for many years but had recently increased the fat considerably. I had been enjoying BPC's almost every morning.
So I made a few changes to my diet. I cut way back on the fat, increased my veggies and started having fish a couple of times a week. I have used flax sporadically over the years but now I add it to whatever I'm eating almost daily.
I am also taking krill oil.

My #'s from last Friday:

Total 230
LDL 158
HDL 55
TRIG 84

I was also diagnosed as hypothyroid and started taking Synthroid six weeks ago. That probably helped to bring my #'s down some but I don't think it would have come down 113 points without the dietary changes added.

Quit smoking Jan. 10, 2007
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Wow CopperTop...way to go! I was doing the LCHF and eating the cheesecake muffins for breakfast and my cholesterol went up as well. I am going to cut out those muffins even though they fill me up for hours and I love them. I cannot imagine all that cream cheese is good for me huh? Is krill oil any different than fish oil? Would you take both - krill oil and fish oil? Thanks !
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CopperTop
Stats: 178/131.2/130
WOE: Moderate carb/protein/fat
Start Date: January 15, 2006
I really don't know what the difference is between krill oil and fish oil. I did a google search on ways to lower cholesterol and taking krill oil was one of the ways. I would think you could take either one but I don't think you need both.
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:03 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NAT&RD
Stats: (5'4") 138/116/116
WOE: MODERATE CARBS
Start Date: 2008
25 Years ago I had cholesterol total 325. Went to @240 when I stopped taking birth control pills. Years later when I finally quit smoking my HDL went up quite a bit while total stayed the same.

Unfortunatly for me diet, low fat- low carb- vegitarian- junk food (I'm 60, lots of time to try differrent diets and suppliments) never seemed to make a bit of difference on my cholesterol.

I had bad experiance with Lipator very high liver enzymes. My dr is trying to talk me into a different medication. Not sure if I will take his advice

For me health advice I listen to my drs. But always keep in mind that they don't always keep up with the latest research. Bottem line is I'm the one that has to live with the results.
NAT&RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caseyjmc
Stats: 235/193/150
WOE: Westman Plan LCHF Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: August 2014
I seem to be doing ok on Atorvastatin (Lipitor) after almost a year. I'll have my next big particle test in May and see what gives. I started using coconut oil in Jan., and my inflammation/oxidation went high risk despite all my other numbers being low risk, so I gave coconut oil up except on occasion, and I'll see if that changes things in May.
Caseyjmc is offline   Reply With Quote