Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: BulldogMom
Stats: 231/ 185.8 / 135
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 2013
Question about cholesterol results

Years ago my cholesterol levels were up but I was in denial and didn't do anything about it. I don't know what the exact levels were. I've been LCing since March with some cheats here and there. I just had a check up and cholesterol levels drawn. I'm relieved but have a question about the LDL calculation levels. Didn't I read somewhere that LCing can cause an (harmless) increase in levels? My doctor doesn't know about my diet. I just told him that I cut out sugar and processed food. I didn't mention that I eat half a dozen eggs a day and lots of bacon. But here's my results:

Cholesterol........176 (normal 100-199)
Triglyceride........99 (0-149)
Total HDL Cholesterol......53 (>39)
VLDL Cholesterol Cal......20 (5-40)
LDL Calculation.......103 (0-99)

And this is something only you guys can relate to, but I've been nervous all week waiting for results because I thought I might have to give up bacon.
BulldogMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greengeeny
Stats: 226/167.2/135
WOE: Eating less than 20 carbs a day
Start Date: September 13, 2013
ha ha, my cholesterol has always been mildly high bad...and mildly low good...I just had my bloodwork drawn last week, and my doctor said my numbers look better than they ever have!!!
greengeeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Your numbers look very good (i.e., well within reference range). The calculated LDL is essentially meaningless. You really need a direct LDL test to really see what LDL is. If that's still high, you need an LDL particle size test. And yes, blood cholesterol can temporarily go up during any weight loss, as your fat cells store cholesterol and when you lose weight they release the cholesterol to the blood stream, and it takes a while for your body to clear that out, as it has to exit via bile (this is one reason why it is important to eat sufficient fat during weight loss). Detailed info on this can be found in The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Phinney and Volek.

In addition, studies have shown that higher blood cholesterol levels indicate better health outcomes than lower blood cholesterol levels. There is virtually no scientific evidence showing that high blood cholesterol is bad for your health. In fact, cholesterol is extremely important for many cellular processes, and what you eat has very little to do with how much cholesterol is in your body. Grain Brain by Dr. David Perlmutter, which I am reading right now, has a good treatment of this subject, but there are plenty of other books out there on the myths about cholesterol.

In short, no need to give up your bacon.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 10-13-2013 at 08:52 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote