Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: onyourmark
too much fat I guess

I thought I was doing a low carb diet. My understanding was that I could eat foods that are high in fat like cream, bacon, etc. My cholesterol went way up though. I have been doing this for about 3 to 4 months. I have lost about 13 lbs. I want to lose about 18 more.
I have been eating a lot of cheese and using cream in my coffee. I eat almost zero carbs. I haven't had bread, rice, alcohol, nuts, beans, condiments, and so on. I do use garlic powder on eggs in the morning. I drink a lot of coffee and use coffee a liquid coffee creamer frequently. I sometimes take a few sips of raw cream after a meal. I have found that I don't get hungry at all when I eat this low carb, high fat, and high protein. I try to have salad everyday and usually some other green vegetable like broccoli or asparagus.
I live in Japan but I am American. I am 59. My cholesterol is 350 where it used to be 180. I obviously have to change. Can anyone suggest some information on this?
THANK YOU!
onyourmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
In The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living the authors explain why blood cholesterol goes up during weight loss. Basically your fat cells store cholesterol. When you lose weight you end up with a lot of extra cholesterol to excrete. This isn't an instantaneous process - it has to be excreted in bile. The authors say people eating LC shouldn't be concerned about higher cholesterol during weight loss. After the weight is gone the cholesterol should get cleared and your blood cholesterol should return to a lower baseline.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Also, I want to point out that eating enough fat is crucial to excreting the cholesterol. The cholesterol gets excreted when the gallbladder contracts and releases bile into the digestive tract. The gallbladder contracts in response to dietary fats. People who lose weight rapidly without eating enough fat tend to have gallbladder attacks.

It sounds like you are doing well on this eating plan. If you are still concerned, you might want to do some reading about why blood cholesterol doesn't really matter anway, such as a book like The Great Cholesterol Con or The Great Cholesterol Myth.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
If I had a total cholesterol of 350 I would be worried too.
I had a similar situation. After first going lc my numbers were good, then got bad
REAL BAD...I was eating way too much fat and have been cutting back.
In August I'll have results from a sophisticated lipid profile that will really me and doc a clearer picture.
I'll post the results. I had wanted it sooner but doc said we had to get the numbers back down first...
I know there is alot of controversy regarding fat intake and the value of cholesterol measuring, but I trust my doctor and we work well together as a team to keep me healthy. So far so good.
Good luck to you.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emily1965
Stats: 320/179
WOE: VSG 5/10/11 plus healthy choices
When one starts eating low carb, the cholesterol numbers usually go up temporarily, then drop down around the 6 month mark.
emily1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by emily1965 View Post
When one starts eating low carb, the cholesterol numbers usually go up temporarily, then drop down around the 6 month mark.
I wish that were my experience. Alas, it was at the 6 month mark that my numbers went off the chart. Even at 9 months they were improved, but still pretty high, and that was with me back on meds.
It never ceases to amaze me how YMMV this metabolism business is.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I wish that were my experience. Alas, it was at the 6 month mark that my numbers went off the chart. Even at 9 months they were improved, but still pretty high, and that was with me back on meds.
It never ceases to amaze me how YMMV this metabolism business is.
But you were still losing weight at 6 and 9 months, correct? If you gave it a few months after you stopped losing weight for the excess cholesterol to be excreted you might have seen a further decline. On meds you won't be able to tell if a decline now is the natural clearance or the meds.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 07-12-2013 at 07:50 PM..