Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Cholesterol and Heart Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/cholesterol-heart-health/)
-   -   cholestrol test back (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/cholesterol-heart-health/804580-cholestrol-test-back.html)

Sunny7 05-21-2013 04:17 PM

cholestrol test back

just got the results back from my cholesterol----

total----286
LDL-----163
HDL-----113
Trig-----51

would like the LDL to come down a little more----but i have had it as high as 197----so i am happy with these results----

Lokarbiebarbie 05-21-2013 05:13 PM

STELLAR!!! yeeha! Actually, the only reason my LDL WAS high at one time was cuz I was hypothyroid and that really raises LDL...a red flag so to speak. I'd be asking for a Free T4 and Free T3 test (and take the TSH if offered, but say no way if NOTHING else is offered...) :)

rubidoux 05-21-2013 07:43 PM

Wow! I didn't know you could have an HDL that high! And your triglycerides are awesome, too! I'd be very pleased with those numbers. :)

Sunny7 05-22-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokarbiebarbie (Post 16434572)
STELLAR!!! yeeha! Actually, the only reason my LDL WAS high at one time was cuz I was hypothyroid and that really raises LDL...a red flag so to speak. I'd be asking for a Free T4 and Free T3 test (and take the TSH if offered, but say no way if NOTHING else is offered...) :)

what are some of the other symptons you had from your thyroid besides the higher LDL---i have had the regular test they usually give you, and it came back normal, but nothing more than that

thanks

SkeeterN 05-22-2013 02:11 PM

Sorry to threadjack your post but could someone also look at mine? One of the posters said that they thought this wasn't bad.
Triglycerides 70
HDL 76
LDL 110
VLDL 14

total 200

My Doctor acted like this was bad. Told me to lay off the Pastries. When I told her I had not eaten one bite of sugar in 9 years she just stopped and didn't say anything else.

My vitamin D is like a 12 Which I know is low.

My bun/creatinine ratio was kinda high suppose to be no higher than a 25 and mine was a 28 but I have also been in ketosis so could this be a factor.

Sunny7 05-22-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16435878)
Sorry to threadjack your post but could someone also look at mine? One of the posters said that they thought this wasn't bad.
Triglycerides 70
HDL 76
LDL 110
VLDL 14

total 200

My Doctor acted like this was bad. Told me to lay off the Pastries. When I told her I had not eaten one bite of sugar in 9 years she just stopped and didn't say anything else.

My vitamin D is like a 12 Which I know is low.

My bun/creatinine ratio was kinda high suppose to be no higher than a 25 and mine was a 28 but I have also been in ketosis so could this be a factor.

i think they look very good---i need your LDL----most docs just look at the total, the important numbers are the HDL and the Trigs, i have always heard, and yours are great--i dont know about the Bun/C ratio

your vitamin D is low, mine was 13 last year and was put on the vitamins, and i came up to 35, but now this year i see she didn't have it checked, so don't know where i am at----the normal D is 30-100 or so----you probably will have to go on some vitamins

i

SkeeterN 05-22-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny7 (Post 16435901)
i think they look very good---i need your LDL----most docs just look at the total, the important numbers are the HDL and the Trigs, i have always heard, and yours are great--i dont know about the Bun/C ratio

your vitamin D is low, mine was 13 last year and was put on the vitamins, and i came up to 35, but now this year i see she didn't have it checked, so don't know where i am at----the normal D is 30-100 or so----you probably will have to go on some vitamins

i

LDL is listed at 110 which she said is too high

Sunny7 05-22-2013 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16435908)
LDL is listed at 110 which she said is too high

i don't think so, on mine it says 130 is desirable, so yours is very good, also, when you have low trigs and higher HDL, your LDL is the fluffy particle size not dense----did she say what she wanted your LDL to be, mine is 163 and i am not worried about it---- my doctor wanted me to go on meds, but i would never go on them, i have heard a lot of bad things about them---as long as my HDL and trigs are good, i am not going to worry about it---i think your numbers are stellar also

kristenaz 05-22-2013 04:16 PM

You both have excellent HDL levels :) I'm jealous. My doctor said that my LDL needs to be below 90 at my age (30). According to the lab report it should be below 130.

SkeeterN 05-23-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny7 (Post 16435945)
i don't think so, on mine it says 130 is desirable, so yours is very good, also, when you have low trigs and higher HDL, your LDL is the fluffy particle size not dense----did she say what she wanted your LDL to be, mine is 163 and i am not worried about it---- my doctor wanted me to go on meds, but i would never go on them, i have heard a lot of bad things about them---as long as my HDL and trigs are good, i am not going to worry about it---i think your numbers are stellar also

Thanks. She said she wanted my LDL to be below 100 and I was 110. Total cholesterol was 200 which is suppose to be lower than that. I am not worried about it. But did think it funny when she told me not to go out and eat a bunch of pastries. :hyst:

I too will never go on meds

A&F 05-23-2013 06:11 AM

I want your doctors! My LDL was 100 three months ago and my doctor was all concerned and wants it between 55 and 75. All the other numbers are great, but I don't remember them. When we rechecked last week (after no dietary changes or meds - maybe a bit more walking) it was 94 and he is still insisting that we continue to bring it down.

Sunny7 05-23-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A&F (Post 16436700)
I want your doctors! My LDL was 100 three months ago and my doctor was all concerned and wants it between 55 and 75. All the other numbers are great, but I don't remember them. When we rechecked last week (after no dietary changes or meds - maybe a bit more walking) it was 94 and he is still insisting that we continue to bring it down.

my lab report says desirable is 130, i have never heard of LDL to be that low, i sure wouldn't worry about it being 94 -----i just had my blood test this week, but my physical is this next tuesday, i know she will say something about my LDL being 163, but it has been high as 197, so i will be iinterested in what she has to say, i like her a lot, but we don't agree on the chol. test, she wants me on meds, she really does not mention how good my trigs and HDL are---i have a friend whose trigs are 300----

lterry913 05-23-2013 08:05 AM

Isn't the ratio a good judge of weather your numbers are good....take total cholesterol and divide by HDL...example 286 /113= 2.5

In terms of the ratio of HDL to the total cholesterol ranking, the "average" range is between 3.9-4.7, with 6.0 being dangerously elevated.

So your numbers are lower than average which is good.

Sunny7 05-23-2013 08:16 AM

yes, the ratio is very important, forgot to mention that, thankyou!!---- and-yes, mine is good, thanks for figuring it out for me---the dr never mentions ratios

lterry913 05-23-2013 03:55 PM

I mentioned it because at our work health screening my total cholesterol was pretty high and the lady working there seemed concerned until she figured out my ratio...then she was all like you must be doing something right. Haha, I just smiled and I guess so.

lisabinil 05-25-2013 11:59 AM

Skeeter I just read your recent posts about slightly high cholesterol and low D levels-these are both indicative of thyroid disease. Have you had your thyroid checked completely including free T3 and free T4 levels? Google the thyroid-cholesterol connection for good articles and check out stopthethyroidmadness website.

MaryMary 05-25-2013 12:46 PM

I got mine back at last physical.
Total chol 148
Trig 56
HDL 64
LDL 73
Chol/HDL ratio 2.25

Glucose Fasting 89
My BUN / Creatinine were a little high and would like to know what it means
BUN 22
Creatinine 0.65

My HDL has comeup from 37 in 2001 to 64 in 2013. That makes me happy.

SkeeterN 05-26-2013 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisabinil (Post 16439972)
Skeeter I just read your recent posts about slightly high cholesterol and low D levels-these are both indicative of thyroid disease. Have you had your thyroid checked completely including free T3 and free T4 levels? Google the thyroid-cholesterol connection for good articles and check out stopthethyroidmadness website.

One my tests it states they did a simple thyroid test called a reflex TSH Thyroid Stimulating Hormone that tested normal at 1.1

scintillady 05-26-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkeeterN (Post 16440771)
One my tests it states they did a simple thyroid test called a reflex TSH Thyroid Stimulating Hormone that tested normal at 1.1

They should do the Free T3 and Free T4 levels. A TSH doesn't always show the complete picture and it can come out normal sometimes even if the other thyroid tests are not.

Sharon 05-28-2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunny7 (Post 16434520)
just got the results back from my cholesterol----

total----286
LDL-----163
HDL-----113
Trig-----51

would like the LDL to come down a little more----but i have had it as high as 197----so i am happy with these results----

There is a cholesterol board you might want to check out. Just go to Bulletin boards and scroll down until you find it.

Sunny7 05-29-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon (Post 16443908)
There is a cholesterol board you might want to check out. Just go to Bulletin boards and scroll down until you find it.

Thanks Sharon, will do----