Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 04:06 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cassie
WOE: Moderate carbs
Start Date: January 2013
My chol results are just a bit concerning...

Hi fellow low carbers.

I got my results back for my first cholesterol test since starting low carb and I'm shocked.

Previously, my total was a bit high, but as the doctor explained to me, my good cholesterol was higher than my bad cholesterol. So she wasn't overly concerned.

Well, my total is still a little high, but what alarmed her and I was that my LDL is a lot higher than my HDL now. I can't believe it and I'm not happy about it.

She advised me to cut down on the sat fat (since doing low carb, I haven't been using any low fat products, but I will be now) and do more walking.

I have a sneaky suspicion the main instigator of this increase is coconut oil. I've been having a teaspoon of it every day in my coffee. So I'm stopping that and I'll see if there is an improvement.

I'm also going to put a spoonful of oat bran into my smoothie each day, because I've heard good things about oat bran lowering cholesterol.

My triglycerides were 1.1, is that good?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Old 05-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Several years ago when I tried coconut oil, my LDL shot up, and my doctor told me to drop it and see what would happen. My LDL went back down--and I haven't used it since.

This may be a reaction tht occurs with only some people. A few months ago, I discovered "coconut butter" and was eating that (as a special treat), but my LDL immediately went up. So I've given that up, too.

My cholesterol is good--and my LDL is 100% Pattern A (the supposedly 'good' kind), but both my endo and cardiologist say there's no 'good' LDL, and any substance that causes it to rise a lot should be avoided.

I use EVOO and butter liberally--with no problems at all.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Thank you for replying Leo, I was beginning to think I'd never get a reply to my concerns!

Yes, I think it may be the coconut butter somehow. I only use it now in a recipe for oat cookies that I make fairly often (because they are the best!) I've also included oat bran in my smoothies, see if that helps at all.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
what are your numbers, LDL is usually higher than the HDL, i think the important numbers are your trigs and HDL, they say total is meaningless----if you have high HDL and low trigs, your LDL if the large fluffy particles and not the dense sandy type----hope some more knowledgeable people come in and comment
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote