Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dobie
Heart rate is 44....help!

...and I'm freaking out reading the possibilities. I never thought it was an issue, and thought that (like BP), low was good. Just left the OBGYN office though, and he made me promise to go to my Cardiologist.

I'm 56, just lost 100 lbs., but am obese at 197. Not active, and sure I get light-headed sometimes. I have ear issues, so attribute it to that. Seeing the Cardiologist tomorrow, but it's not soon enough for me, after reading online about blockages/pacemakers.

Any feedback out there?
dobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Just stay calm and see the cardiologist.

There are a zillion reasons this may be occurring, and there's no way to know. Likely your cardiologist will have to run tests, so you may not get an immediate answer.

My own heart rate plummeted when my hypothyroidism was undiagnosed for several years--and I suffered no ill effects. Fortunately, thyroid treatment corrected the problem.

Just try to relax and work with your doctor.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I had this when I first started low carbing

thread here

As far as we can tell, it was a case of my circulartory system being under less strain so not needing to work as hard. Because my system was 'used' to working much harder, periods of exercise or gettng overly warm were difficult for my body to adjust to - the new nomal homostasis. Now I have adjusted to it I am fine. I still get tiny dizzy spells if I move suddenly, but nothing like those initial ones.
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your responses. I'm actually no longer LCing; although I did lose (and regain) 120 lbs with Atkins back in 2001-2002. This time has been with WW.

Wearing a heart monitor tonight, and having labs done tomorrow. I'd "like" to think that my body thinks I'm an athlete, since life is so much easier 100 lbs lighter, but I don't think that 's the case. Anyway, I'm less freaked out tonight than last night, and will just lay low and keep you posted with next week's results.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Okay, so I was freaking out last week when I found out that a heart rate of 44 was too low. I'm 56, female, just lost 100 lbs, but still near 200. I lost a lot of hair the end of last year, depressed this year (definitely have reasons to be depressed though), cold at work, foggy, and then there's the low heart rate.

I wore a heart monitor last Thurs-Fri, and it confirmed the rate, and minor discrepancies, and my blood-work (cardiologist) reflected a TSH of 1.18. While that's in range (although on the low end), I'm wondering if should get the other battery of tests. What all should I ask to have ordered? I see my GYN tomorrow, and I know he'll order whatever I as for.

Need your help, because if not hypothyroid, I'll be getting a pacemaker....I'm not ready for that...
blood sugar? Diabetes gone; BP 95/58
297/195/whatever
Old 05-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
Ask for thyroid antibodies blood tests. My TSH was normal, so my family doctor checked me thyroid antibodies which were through the roof. The antibodies attacking my thyroid caused it to dump hormones into my bloodstream all at once which caused hyper symptoms at first, but then my thyroid stopped working all together, so I was hypo. So, if it wasn't for the antibodies test, it would appear that my thyroid was normal based on my TSH. Please keep us posted and good luck to you.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I dont understand why you're being recommended for a pace maker for have bracycardia. My HR has settled down at 50 and my doctor has zero problem with it. My electrolites, thyroid, etc came back in the normal if low range. All she said was to make sure I eat regulary, and that as far as she was concerned I am a healthy, realitivy young woman She certainly wasnt interested in doing anything to speed it up.

Have you considered a second opinion? There are people who have HR much lower. Heck, theres an athelete who has the Guiness record for lowest rate at 30 something!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Ronnie51
I also have a slower heart rate, usually around 54, sometimes lower. My doctor also is not concerned. I have exercised consistently my entire life and my doctor attributes my slower heart rate to being fit. It's only a problem if it causes symptoms, like intolerance to exercise, breathlessness, extreme tiredness and in those instances, I assume the heart rate is due to something wrong (e.g., non functioning thyroid), not from being physically fit.
Ronnie51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/27/13
Do you by chance take meds for high blood pressure? I took Lopressor and it really slowed my HR. I wore the heart monitor too and as a last resort, doctor took me off L and gave me another kind of med. My rate increased and I have had no problems since. My HR is normally around 58 to 65. You might just have them check any side affects of your meds. Hope all is well.
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote