Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaybird999
My dietary change: The GOOD, the BAD, the UGLY

I'm a 40-year old white male with a family history of high blood pressure and heart disease.

I recently made a change to a "somewhat" low-carb diet, but am having some side effects I'm hoping somebody has some insight about.

About 4 months ago, I visited my doc for an NMR lipoprofile test. The results weren't great:

Total Cholesterol 230
HDL-C 40
Triglycerides 520
LDL Particle Number 1930
Small LDL-P 575
LDL Part. Size 20.0

So I have low HDL, high triglycerides and high "Pattern A" LDL. With my family history, the doc told me I had to do something if I wanted to avoid a heart attack.

I've been lifting weights about 4 days a week for the past 20 years, and I jog about twice a week. I thought the exercise was going to keep my blood profile nice and clean, but never had a good lipid profile done until now.

Uggggggghhhhhhh!!!!

I decided to make a dietary change.

My typical weekly diet and supplement plan looked like this before:

Weekdays:
- 7AM: Two bowls Cheerios with nonfat milk OR bacon, two eggs over easy, sourdough toast with butter
- 7:30AM: supplements
* Multi-vitamin
* 1200mg calcium with D3 (forgot the amount)
* 1000mg echinacea
* 1000mg Vitamin C
* 81mg aspirin
* 1200mg fish oil pill (with 180mg of EPA, 60mg ALA, 120mg DHA)
- 9:00AM: cup of green tea
- 10:30AM: cup of green tea
- 11:30AM: Choice of one of the following typical lunches
* Two slices pepperoni pizza, 30oz to 40oz Diet Coke
* Three pork tacos, chips and salsa, 30oz to 40oz Diet Coke
* bacon double cheddar burger (no mayo), fries and catsup, 30oz to 40oz Diet Coke
* about 8oz smoked brisket or spare ribs or pulled pork at a good local bbq joint, green salad w/ ranch, side of bbq sauce, cole slaw, , 30oz to 40oz Diet Coke
* carne asada plate (grilled beef, sour cream, corn tortillas, refried beans, guacamole), chips and salsa, , 30oz to 40oz Diet Coke
** about once a week I'd have ice cream after lunch
- 2PM: cup of green tea
- 3PM: cup of coffee and "creamer" (oil and corn syrup)
- 4PM: Doritos and 12oz Diet Coke
- 7PM: 8oz to 12oz grilled chicken, salad with oil/vinegar dressing, 4oz polenta or sourdough bread with butter, glass water or red wine
- 9PM: 4oz to 6oz roasted/salted almonds or pistachios OR plate of cheese and crackers OR ice cream OR dark chocolate OR dark chocolate almonds

Weekends:
- 8AM: Six strips thick cut bacon, 3 eggs cooked in olive oil, coffee with sugar free "creamer" (oil based)
- 12PM: Bacon double cheddar burger (no mayo), fries and catsup, 30oz to 40oz Diet Coke
- 1PM: Grande Caramel Macchiato at Starbucks
- 6PM: Italian restaurant - oil/bread, veal parm, red wine
- 9PM: 4oz to 6oz roasted/salted almonds or pistachios OR plate of cheese and crackers OR ice cream OR dark chocolate OR dark chocolate almonds

So I decided to cut down on carbs, reduce processed foods, and increase Omega 3 intake.

Now, this is a typical week:

Weekdays:
- 7AM: Two "Omega-3" eggs plus one egg white, cooked in olive oil. Cup green tea
- 7:30AM: supplements
* Multi-vitamin
* 1200mg calcium with D3 (forgot the amount)
* 1000mg echinacea
* 2000mg Vitamin C (twice as much as before)
* 81mg aspirin
* Three times as much fish oil as before; 3600mg fish oil pill (with 540mg of EPA, 180mg ALA, 360mg DHA)
- 9:00AM: cup of green tea or black coffee
- 10:30AM: 2oz almonds, cup of green tea or black coffee
- 11:30AM: Choice of one of the following typical lunches
* 10 pc sashimi, soy sauce, wasabi, green tea
* chicken/spinach salad, no dressing, 30oz unsweetened iced tea
* spinach/salmon salad, no dressing, 30oz unsweetened iced tea
* about 8oz smoked brisket at a good local bbq joint, green salad with no dressing, 30oz iced tea
- 2PM: 4oz cottage cheese, 4oz brocolli
- 4PM: 2oz almonds or 4oz cherry tomatoes
- 7PM: 8oz to 12oz grilled trout or chicken, salad with no dressing
- 9PM: 2oz cheese
All day: drink about two quarts of water or sparkling water

Weekends:
- 8AM: Two eggs plus one egg white, cooked in olive oil. Cup green tea
- 12PM: leftovers (fish/chicken, salad)
- 6PM: Cheat meal one day (bacon burger/fries/shake) and normal meal one day (fish/salad)
- 9PM: 2oz cheese or 2oz almonds

So now the good, the bad and the ugly.

GOOD:

I've lost about 20 pounds without changing my workout regimen. The weight lost is pretty much all fat, and that is supposedly good for my ability to metabolize food. As I understand it, less body fat means better insulin response and the undesirables (glucose, triglycerides, lipo-protein) are more likely to be sucked up by my cells for energy.

I've also gained a lot of strength and endurance in the gym. All my exercises are more vigorous, either using more weight than before or running faster than before.

But now the....

BAD:

Two strange new things have crept in.

Number one, I feel a little cold at my extremities. Not every day, but at least a couple days a week. To warm up I turn the heater on in my car aimed at the floor to warm my feet, or wash my hands for an extra few seconds under warm water. Not a major cold spell, but enough of a change to be noticeable versus before.

Another strange thing is that my tendons have been sore. After 20 years of working out, I never really experienced sore Achilles until now. Suddenly, I wake up and both Achilles are sore for a week. Similarly, I squat down to pick something up and suddenly both knees are sore for a week. Both rotator cuffs are sore to the touch for a week. The soreness has come and gone over these few months, but they didn't happen before the dietary change. Now, this could be because my workouts have gotten more vigorous and I'm just stressing my tendons - I'm not sure.

The last thing is that I sometimes get bruised very easily. This never happened before the dietary change.

But these don't compare to the....

UGLY:

I have eczema. I get flareups from time to time with itchy and dry skin, but don't usually get the heavy red patches that some people get. My eczema historically doesn't "light up", and isn't that severe.

The past 3 months my eczema has been on fire. It's been more widespread than before (legs, privates, elbow, back). And in many spots it's bright red and super scaly. Perhaps this is just an allergic reaction to something I've added to my diet, I haven't tried to figure that out yet.

The other thing is hemorrhoids. Never had them before. I got them now, and they hurt.

So overall, I hope I am making changes that will help my heart health, but it's difficult to tell until I get some new blood profile results.

Now, do any of these reactions or symptoms seem "normal" to anybody out there? Any recommendations on things to do differently? Could I be hurting my health, instead of helping myself live to be 100, by eating like this?
Jaybird999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Welcome to LCF

Wow, have you come a long way with your food. Kudos to you. I would also read as much as possible from experts on the subject of lipids and of course,get your numbers squared up as best you can.I personally love to read all of Dr William Davis stuff...websites, facebook, etc. He wrote Wheat Belly. A very active Facebook page as well and also a blog site called trackyourplaque. Very informative for all the numbers and such.

I am not sure how much you weigh now - and if you have a lot more to lose or not.

Another great read is Whole30. I rented it from the library. Anyway, simple read and some of it covers dairy and soy.

If it were me, I would ditch both and see what happens. I get occasional flair ups but gave up dairy 2 months ago. I am all ready sugar and wheat free 95% of the time.

You don't use salad dressing; I wonder if it is because you just don't like it or have yet to found a suitable replacement? Tessemae's salad dressing ( on line or at Whole Foods) is a healthy and tasty dressing (fyi)

Soy...I would ditch it...even Bragg's. An alternative is coconut aminos.

Bruising...I get that too because of aspirin and fish oil I believe.

Soreness...no idea whats going on there. Bummer, I hate shin splints.

Excema....I get that sometimes after I am in the sun. Weird, I know.

Sugar free creamer...not sure what that is but have you tried coconut milk? Its very creamy.

I would go more paleo with these numbers on the trigs/hdl...and see how you do in 3 to 6 months.

But I would never, ever, ever go back to a SAD diet (Standard American). You are eating whole, real foods and working out. That is fantastic.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Jaybird999
Hi Stevie,

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out that reading material.

I had a "cheap" blood test done.

Total cholesterol: 230
LDL=170 (calculated)
HDL=47
Triglycerides=65

So the triG went waaaayyyyy down from the result 5 months ago (over 500). HDL is up, also good.

I am not sure if the LDL directly correlates, so won't draw any conclusions until another NMR profile is done later this year. So far the blood results look good!

I don't have too much body fat left to lose.

Regarding the hemorrhoids and eczema, I haven't really increased my dairy since changing diet. And I don't ingest too much soy, just the occasional dip of my fish in soy sauce. But while I've always loved nuts, I have increased my nut intake quite a bit. Maybe almonds are inflammatory for me??????

And the soreness and bruising could be what you mentioned: too much fish and aspirin. It seems like its better to get a little bruising and maintain thee high Onega 3 intake, than to reduce Onegas.
Jaybird999 is offline   Reply With Quote