Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Augie Doggie
Stats: 225/209/185 (5'10)
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: April 2, 2013
Cholesterol Concerns - Adkins

All:

I apologize if I'm introducing a topic that's already been covered extensively, but my search generated more responses than I had time to examine. Please be patient with me.

I'm into Phase II of Adkins. Through induction, I saw a weight drop of 15 pounds which is exactly what I wanted to see. The weight loss has decreased in rate, but I'm still losing weight.

I don't crave sugar anymore, and I don't pass out mid-day like I used to. I don't need coffee to get going in the morning. Generally, I feel pretty good.

In Dr. Adkin's book, there was a discussion that the diet actually leads to a reduction in cholesterol over time.

When I was 225 pounds, my Cholesterol was 231. High, certainly - but probably not dangerous. Triglycerides were the worst part of it, as my LDL and HDLs were actually in normal ranges.

I wanted to hear if anyone noted a marked decrease in Cholesterol after starting a diet high in fat and protein (specifically Adkins.)

My intention is to move to a more vegetable based diet over time, avoiding the calorie dense food that put the weight on to begin with. In the meantime, I'd like to know whether I'm giving my body huge amounts of Cholesterol it really doesn't need.

Your frank responses are appreciated, and thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

- AD
Augie Doggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie Doggie View Post
My intention is to move to a more vegetable based diet over time, avoiding the calorie dense food that put the weight on to begin with.
- AD
Brother, 'calorie dense' food isn't what made you gain weight. Since you are putting some forethought into what you will do at goal you should put some time in now getting to know the science behind LC. Good Calories Bad Calories is probably one of the best books available for that. It is long but well written and information dense. Why We Get Fat is much shorter and does not cover as much ground but still a good primer for why how you are looking at this is not the best way to view it.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
or search 'fathead' on you tube
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Dietary cholesterol has almost no bearing on circulating cholesterol in the body. And quite frankly, most of what moder medicine teaches about cholesterol is completely wrong.

Dr Mercola has a great little primer on this that might ease your mind. My cholesterol has been steady or higher on Atkins, as far a my panels indicate, but the actual levels are in the excellent to ideal range, even with my total cholesterol being high. The way they calculate the entire thing is senseless!

Hopefully this helps you out a bit:
Google: Mercola Cholesterol is Essential for a Healthy Life.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kiwistars
Stats: 205/192.5/150 (6 foot tall)
WOE: atkins 1972
Start Date: 1st march
the 67% of the population with the _lowest_ cholesterol have 72% of the heart attacks.
kiwistars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
CTH
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CTH
Stats: 267/212/190
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Watch the documentary "Statin Nation" on YouTube. Look for the 1:04 full movie, should come right up.

The levels of "acceptable" total cholesterol levels were set, then lowered by a panel of physicians where most of them were on the AstraZeneca payroll. One reason: sell more drugs.

Then they did the Jupiter study to supposedly show that perfectly healthy people should be on statins to reduce their risk of cardiac events. Once again funded by AstraZeneca.

The original study that "linked" cholesterol levels to coronary artery disease was rigged!!

I loathe conspiracy theories with a passion but that movie really makes you think...

Last edited by CTH; 04-22-2013 at 08:26 PM..
CTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I second Statin Nation and the Taubes books (Why We Get Fat or Good Calories, Bad Calories), or watch one of Taubes lectures on youtube.

I have had higher LDL and lower HDL since I started losing weight. I have a feeling that I'm going to have these bad numbers until I stop losing and that's frustrating bc at this rate I may be losing for another year and a half or two years. But I'm willing to see it through until I reach a stable weight before I make any decisions about it. I am also doing things that might make the numbers a little better like taking fish oil and exercising and apple cider vinegar. But mostly, I am trying to bring the numbers down a bit to make my doctors more comfortable. I am mostly on board with the idea that the whole cholesterol thing is a big mistake at best and a horrible scam at worst.

Is your name Augie? My son's name is Augie, and I love it, of course. I call him "Augie Doggie" all the time and then recently a girl at school started calling him "Augie Doggie" and now he says he doesn't want to be called that any more. He wants to be called "August!" He's four.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Hi and welcome to LCfriends.
You will get alot of eye opening information here.
Much of what you may have believed to be true regarding dietary health
will probably be challenged. The people on this site are great for providing
eye opening facts and backing them with the research to support the LC lifestyle.
Now to your question...I have been taking lipitor for high cholesterol and tricor for high trigs for over 10 years...after going lc I stopped the tricor. 3 months later I was tested and my trigs were way down and all my other values were improved.
Wow! I thought this was great so continued not to take the tricor, then took only half of my 40 mg lipitor....3 months later my next blood test ....BAM numbers were through the roof.
Every value went up except for my hdl which went down. Very disturbing....I went back to my tricor, and the 40 mg of lipitor...
I get tested again in another month. My personal belief is that my weight loss has poured fat into my blood stream and this is what is showing up on the tests, but I have to get my ratio's back on track so it's back on the meds for me.
Hope you do well with your LC woe.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #9

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
and specifically, triglycerides will probably drop like a rock if you are truly low carb. good luck.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Augie Doggie
Stats: 225/209/185 (5'10)
WOE: Adkins
Start Date: April 2, 2013
Sorry all. I should have been more specific. "Calorie Dense / Nutrient Low" ... i.e. donuts, candies, things made with refined sugars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
I second Statin Nation and the Taubes books (Why We Get Fat or Good Calories, Bad Calories), or watch one of Taubes lectures on youtube.

I have had higher LDL and lower HDL since I started losing weight. I have a feeling that I'm going to have these bad numbers until I stop losing and that's frustrating bc at this rate I may be losing for another year and a half or two years. But I'm willing to see it through until I reach a stable weight before I make any decisions about it. I am also doing things that might make the numbers a little better like taking fish oil and exercising and apple cider vinegar. But mostly, I am trying to bring the numbers down a bit to make my doctors more comfortable. I am mostly on board with the idea that the whole cholesterol thing is a big mistake at best and a horrible scam at worst.
Rubi - Name isn't actually "Augie"... I just use it as a nick name for grins. Tell your son that is one cool name! He should be proud.

I am using the Fish Oil as well. I like the 1200 mg Nature Made Fish Oil with 360 mg of Omega-3. It's cheap and they sell it in large quantities. I take two of these a day for a total of 720 mg of Omega-3.

I also take another supplement called CholestOff, made by the same company. I'm not sure if this stuff is any good, but it has a plethora of plant sterols and stanols in each pill. Figured I give it a go.

I take those two each day with a vitamin supplement.

The doctor saw my cholesterol results and immediately reached for a prescription pad, then looked shocked when I refused the Lipitor. I told him I would control it with diet rather than medications. I'd rather destroy my liver with booze than with meds... it's certainly more fun

I know there is research to suggest that I shouldn't be worried about it, but at the same time I know most healthy adults have normal or low cholesterol levels. I don't see any harm in bringing it down into a normal range.

- AD
Augie Doggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
That was what my post was about, Augie. There actually IS some harm in aiming for lower numbers, depending on what your ratios actually are. Total cholesterol, for example, is useless and the number far too low for many healthy bodies. Do read that link if you haven't.
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Jannybunny
Stats: 175/110/115 restart 187/146/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/4/2008 restarted for the last time 1/3/2013
It's Atkins (not Adkins)
Jannybunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
My hubby takes Cholest-Off along with a Red Yeast Rice and a garlic pill, all of them 2x/day. He can't take a statin. He did in the past a few years ago but got an almost immediate sore upper arm. It took us 3 months to figure out the reason. Believe me, they kept trying to make him take different statins and he finally told them to put it on his allergy list because of the side effects.

Those 3 things seem to have helped him for the last 1-2 years. Hopefully what you're doing works.