Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Lovinfiftys
Stats: 142/134/125
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Nov 2012
Wine is a problem! Look at my Lipids..

Hi Everyone!

I finally decided to register instead of lurking everyday. I have been doing Low Carb off and on since 2001. At that time I lost what I needed to quickly (15 pds in 8 weeks.) But what really got me excited was that my lipid blood work came back so wonderful that my doc was blown away! Even though she complained about ketones in my urine and told me Atkins was deadly! Ha! I always through the years kept my weight within 15 pds by going off and on when needed.

In 2002 I filed for divorce after 26 years of marriage. I discovered during this horrible time something I never knew...or rather, never endulged in. WINE! Starting with a glass once in a while to gradually through the years increasing. Increasing to the point that I should actually be posting on an AA forum instead of this one! Long story short, here is my lipid test on Oct 19, 12 and my follow up on Jan 17, 13. Started back on low carb on Nov 15, 12 but NOT giving up my daily consumption of wine.

Oct 2012 Jan 2013

Chol-287 250
Trig-403 346
HDL- 54 73
LDL-182 108
VLDL- to high to count 69

TSH- 5.800 0.06 (range 0.35-5.50)
Total T3- 42 58 (range 60-180)
Vit D- 15 68
Glucose-94

Conclusion, low carb works! Even though I only lost 7 pounds in 8 weeks, my blood work turned around except for the triglycerides, which are horrible. Time to stop the wine. I drink 4 to 5 glasses a day, 5 days a week. I started on 5000 units of Vit D daily after seeing my level at 15..Yikes!

Of course, my doc wants to start me on a statin and thinks that my wine is NOT a problem since my liver test came back perfect. She never addressed the wine issue even though I was honest. She said my lipids are genetic and I will never get them in check without meds!

After my test in Jan, I told her to look at my HDL and LDL, they are great! She said, you will never get you're Triglycerides down without meds, period. I refused. I have given up the wine and will hopefully shove the results in her face when I re-take in a few weeks.

I am hypothyroid along with Hashimotos. Taking 125mcgs for years till I low carb and then, boom, I go the opposite way. Low carb seems to correct it and my doc gets lost on what to do, so she tells me now to skip a pill on Wens and Sun. Still haven't figured out what to do there?

She also complained about my weight being to low at 142 (I'm 5'3) and told me I needed to gain weight even though my bodyfat is at 30% and all on my belly. I lifted my shirt and showed her my 35 inch belly roll, matching my 35 inch hips. Waist to hip ratio is pretty bad...don't ya think? She said, no.

Anyways, thanks for reading! I wanted to introduce myself and see if anyone else has had this issue with thier thyroid levels bouncing around after starting low carb? Hopefully my trigs will go much lower without the wine
Lovinfiftys is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
What you're talking about is not moderate amounts by any measure so I think it’s a bit unfair to wine to say it’s a problem. Welcome!
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #3
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
First off, welcome to the forum!! Second, I am appalled she told you to gain weight!! And she doesn't seem to be managing your thyroid as your T-3 isn't even low end of normal and now she wants to cut 2 days of meds?? You would probably find a lot of guidance in the thyroid threads on that here: Thyroid - Low Carb Friends. Your triglycerides are high, that's for sure. I am anxious to see your next labs. One thing that dropped my LDL and total cholesterol to ridiculously low levels was the addition of fiber in my diet (I went from 170 total to 114 total). I don't know how much fiber you get but I get between 30-40 grams a day. Sometimes from veg but a lot from fiber added LC products. There are a lot at Netrition I like. Mama Lupes and Jospeh's Pitas are great for a wrap. It's a thought to try. You may try fish oil also.

My Avi is my horse Chakka and me Longview horse trials 5/14

"Go sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

Official freer of canned worms

Find me on Facebook: Cindy Cavanagh
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
I do see that your triglycerides went down though. In my experience they will continue to go down. But I would recommend reducing your wine intake. Is there a reason your doc thinks high trig are genetic? I have a friend who says that. But then I see her diet and wonder if she's not using it as an excuse. She is fairly trim, maybe 15# overweight if anything. So mostly I'm curious about that for my friends sake, who is trying to be healthier lately.

I'm sort of remembering something about the thyroid function and low carb. It might have more to do with stable blood sugars and increased nutrient intake. I'm glad for the info as DH is about to go low carb, and he takes thyroid meds. If I run across anymore information about it, while I/m reading up this week, I'll gladly share it here.

Also Welcome
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the kind, "welcomes"! Yes, I agree that my wine intake is not considered even close to moderate! My post meant, wine is a problem for me. Meaning that I know many others whom also drink in excess wine everyday and thier lipid levels are fine.

As far as doc telling me genetics are a cause of my high Trig. She see's my sister as a patient, my brother has had 2 heart attacks by 55 and triple bypass, mother died at 62 of heart failure, Dad died of a stroke in 83. And my lifetime of high Chol, Trig, etc. EXCEPT when I am eating low carb. Which she will never agree on.

Fiber...oh boy, ya got me on that one! I eat low fiber even knowing how important it is. I did in the past buy St. Joseph wraps and lavish for years and loved them. Also made flaxseed muffins for breakfast. Then I read, wheat belly. So I try to get my fiber by veggie intake, maybe 10 grams a day which I know is not enough. I was eating under 15 to 20 carbs a day due to allowing me those glasses of wine. So I stuck with salads, chicken, tuna, turkey, cheese. I know this helped my HDL and LDL and was hoping I could drink a couple glasses of wine in the evening and still see a drop in Triglycerides.

I have always taken krill oil and super DHA/EPA every day along with many, many more supplements including, Alpha Lipioc Acid, Ubiquinol,astaxanthin,zyflamend (anti inflammatory),Gugulipid, Multi V, B complex, Red yeast rice, probiotics Milk thistle and magnesium.

I eat only organic (even organic grass fed meat) and have for years. Even been a wine drinken vegan and I work out 5 days a week. It's the wine. It will kill me like it did my mother if I don't kick it. I was borderline diabetic 6 months ago.

I will do this! And I will prove to my doctor that this low carb life style is the only way to eat for a healthy life. Then I will find a new doctor whom agrees.

I will check out the thyroid forum. I know I need to figure that part out since my doc threw her hands up and told me to find an endo.

Again, thanks for listening!! Much appreciated! Renee
Old 03-11-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Is your doctor aware that hypothyroidism can also contribute to high triglycerides and metabolic syndrome (like the larger waist to hip ratio you mentioned)?

If your doctor doesnt know how to increase your thyroid medication, then yes - find an endocrinologist!

I do agree with you that the wine is a huge contributor to the high triglycerides you have... its known to cause that.

Medications often dont help much when there are underlying factors like untreated (or only partially treated) hypothyroidism and alcohol intake.

Have you thought about a strategy for how to stop drinking wine? I'm sure it will be challenging. I hope we can help support you through it.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

I am sorry I did not reply to each reply, instead I put everything in one response...I need to learn how to use the forum!
Old 03-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Its all good.. I dont think there is a way to reply to each person individually. (or at least I still havent learned it LOL!)
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

@Strawberry.
Thank you! I appreciate you're reply and the question on how I am going to deal with my wine intake. I spent 2 weeks with my daughter and grandchildren in AZ in Feb. and never had a drop of booze or cared to, as I was busy and very happy to be there. My daughter and grandchildren are raw vegans and that is how I eat when I go there. I felt great! My daughter has no idea of how much wine I drink and thought that my eating raw vegan was why I felt so well...I arrived home and bought a bottle of wine and started feeling like crap again.

I use wine as all addicts as a solution to my issues in life as I am one of those who get silly, happy, motivated, not depressed or down like some others. But I know I'm making excuses here as to why I like it.

I'm doing well the past couple weeks without it. I never drank till I was 45, not a drop! My mother was an alcoholic and it scares the hell out of me. I don't ever want to be like she was. But after raising my children and them leaving the nest, divorce, I found myself addicted to a bottle that I swore I would never touch due to my childhood. I am a closet drinker and none of my family really knows. Maybe now that I have admitted my problem, I can get it together and cure the one single thing in my life that is so un-healthy.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I really admire you! I'm glad you are able to stop cold, without getting the "shakes" or anything.

A lot of us use this Board as a place to come when we are feeling really stressed or depressed or craving something bad.... so hopefully you can log on here and chat with us if you start to feel a real craving for the comfort of wine.

And no shame in having to admit you are overdoing something or addicted to it.... most of us are here because of a food addiction of some sort - whether its addiction to sugar or overeating or an eating disorder like binge eating.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Thank you Strawberry. You are right, many of us have an addiction to some substance that is not healthy. I will beat this especially with kind affirimations, as from you! This seems like a very helpful, informative forum that I will partake in. Thanks again and all the best!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Good for you for taking control back of your life...hopefully giving up the wine will show in your blood work next time...If it doesn't I hope you don't go back to drinking as much of it. I have many friends who can not admit they have a problem with wine consumption because "it is wine" and socially acceptable. Good luck and I admire you for going cold turkey to improve your blood work.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

@lterry913

Thanks so much! I agree with the "it's only wine" statement. I hear it from my fiancee all the time whom I feel is actually a little scared of my stopping, as he likes his wine also and I think might be afraid that I might put "controls" on him. Which might be true! I love support and feel we all need it whether it's a food addiction, drugs, alcohol or whatever. Thanks again for the kuddos! Renee
Old 03-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Oh, and hopefully soon I will change that avatar of mine to me toasting with one of my kale green smoothies instead of my Chardonney! Here's to a healthy heart and long life of watching all 4 of my grandchildren grow! Thanks all...and if any of you have any tips, suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Welcome to the boards. Glad you decided to quit lurking
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I thought I would post a link to this part of the board... apparently you are in good company of people working to abstain from alcohol!

Addiction Support - Low Carb Friends
Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovinfiftys View Post
I am sorry I did not reply to each reply, instead I put everything in one response...I need to learn how to use the forum!
You'll get there! Nothing but love here!

Quote:
Oh, and hopefully soon I will change that avatar of mine to me toasting with one of my kale green smoothies instead of my Chardonney! Here's to a healthy heart and long life of watching all 4 of my grandchildren grow! Thanks all...and if any of you have any tips, suggestions, I would love to hear them!
Ok, I didn't even notice that in your Avi!!. Being a calorie counter, all I was thinking was, "5 (glasses of wine per day) X 175 (avg calories in a glass) = too dang many calories on alcohol. My rule is don't drink your calories!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Welcome Lovinfiftys! I am looking forward to seeing your test results after abstaining from alcohol. I too had a heavy indulgence of wine for many years and gave it up 18 years ago. Hard to believe! I am one of those that has an additive/compulsive personality so have to be careful of excess in all things fun in life such as alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, shopping,etc... Sigh! Some how I missed out on the exercise bug though! Good luck, keep us posted.
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I'm looking forward to your next labs too.
I never considered a link between alcohol and triglycerides. Duh. I have not had lab work done since I quit drinking, so my next ones will be interesting.
Liz1959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
Another thought entered my mind while I was sleeping, and that is to be aware of the fact that when you quit drinking you are no longer getting the mass amounts of sugar from your alcohol and will have strong cravings for other sources of sugar, usually in the form of candy, cakes, ice cream, etc...
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Welcome to the boards. Glad you decided to quit lurking

Thank you!!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haferchamp View Post
Welcome Lovinfiftys! I am looking forward to seeing your test results after abstaining from alcohol. I too had a heavy indulgence of wine for many years and gave it up 18 years ago. Hard to believe! I am one of those that has an additive/compulsive personality so have to be careful of excess in all things fun in life such as alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, shopping,etc... Sigh! Some how I missed out on the exercise bug though! Good luck, keep us posted.
Thank you! .
Old 03-12-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I thought I would post a link to this part of the board... apparently you are in good company of people working to abstain from alcohol!

Addiction Support - Low Carb Friends
Thank you, I will check it out!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz1959 View Post
I'm looking forward to your next labs too.
I never considered a link between alcohol and triglycerides. Duh. I have not had lab work done since I quit drinking, so my next ones will be interesting.
I will post my lab work here in this thread. I want to wait a few more weeks hoping that by not drinking, my labs will come back showing that my trig were high from alcohol and not genetic as my doc suggest.

Let me know also how you're labs turn out and do you have lab work results from when you were drinking to compare?
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haferchamp View Post
Another thought entered my mind while I was sleeping, and that is to be aware of the fact that when you quit drinking you are no longer getting the mass amounts of sugar from your alcohol and will have strong cravings for other sources of sugar, usually in the form of candy, cakes, ice cream, etc...
I have already noticed this! I am not really a "dessert" type person but find myself searching the cabinets looking for something sweet. I took the orange rind off an orange, rolled them in sugar, put them in the dehydrator and dipped them in 86% dark chocolate. Devoured they entire thing!

I need to be more mindful and stay away from it! Thanks!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #26
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
First off, welcome to the forum!! Second, I am appalled she told you to gain weight!! And she doesn't seem to be managing your thyroid as your T-3 isn't even low end of normal and now she wants to cut 2 days of meds??
Thank you! This comment made me think and kept me up till 3:00 am last night. Which is a good thing because I did research on learning about thyroid conditions. I think my doctor who is a family prac, not an endo, assumed that my low tsh was from me going into hyper from hypo and wanted to cut me back. I haven't even been back to get new bloodwork for my problem and reading last night made me realize that this condition is not something to take lightly. My doc needed to run many other test instead of just saying, take 2 less a week because of my tsh being low. I am calling new docs today to set up an appt. SO, thank you!!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #27
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Thank you! This comment made me think and kept me up till 3:00 am last night. Which is a good thing because I did research on learning about thyroid conditions. I think my doctor who is a family prac, not an endo, assumed that my low tsh was from me going into hyper from hypo and wanted to cut me back. I haven't even been back to get new bloodwork for my problem and reading last night made me realize that this condition is not something to take lightly. My doc needed to run many other test instead of just saying, take 2 less a week because of my tsh being low. I am calling new docs today to set up an appt. SO, thank you!!
Yes, the big thing is to find a doc that looks at your levels of Free T3/T4 and not chase TSH. TSH says nothing about your T3/T4 levels. My TSH is <0.005 but my Free T3/T4 levels are in the middle of the scale. Optimally, your Free T3 should in the upper 2/3 of the scale.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Yes, the big thing is to find a doc that looks at your levels of Free T3/T4 and not chase TSH. TSH says nothing about your T3/T4 levels. My TSH is <0.005 but my Free T3/T4 levels are in the middle of the scale. Optimally, your Free T3 should in the upper 2/3 of the scale.
Thank you again! I have learned a little today reading online. Now to find a new doctor.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
One thing my endocrinologist told me is that my high triglycerides would go down if I stopped drinking alcohol (wine and whiskey for me). She was right, too. They went down quite a bit when I stopped, so you will definitely see that if you can avoid the alcohol and the sugar stopping drinking makes you crave! Hang in there and a warm welcome to you!!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote