Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
New lab results 10 min. Ago!!! Freaking out!!!

O.k. Folks....been back to lc since Sept. 1st. I have lost 30 pounds since then and feel fabulous. Started back because my labs were 250 for cholesterol and sugar was a tad high. The doc ordered statins and I never picked them up!

Since I'm having major surgery this coming Monday I have had a lot of lab work done this week. The first set of labs showed my fasting blood glucose at 106 or 107 but this morning it was taken again by my primary and the results jut posted on my medical portal at 90.....that's the good, no great, news!

My cholesterol is another story which is why I am freaking out!

Total cholesterol was 260.....it's gone up in the last 3 months!!!!
Triglycerides 82
Hdl 50
Cho/hdl ratio 5.2
Ldl 194

This can't be good. I have not had a drop of sugar, flour, wheat or frankenfoods since Sept. 1st. I'm worried the doc will want to put me on statins and that the doc in the hospital will put me on a low fat diet!!!!! Really freaking out here....you know how these conventional doctors are!!!

Is it possible lc is not for me even though I feel so great? And, other than cream cheese, I really don't eat that much cheese....see, I'm starting to doubt myself....

I'm just shocked....this is not what I expected and I'm floored!

Last edited by marieze; 12-04-2012 at 07:04 PM..
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
GME
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/199/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/LC/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
O.k. Folks....been back to lc since Sept. 1st. I have lost 30 pounds since then and feel fabulous. Started back because my labs were 250 for cholesterol and sugar was a tad high. The doc ordered statins and I never picked them up!

Since I'm having major surgery this coming Monday I have had a lot of lab work done this week. The first set of labs showed my fasting blood glucose at 106 or 107 but this morning it was taken again by my primary and the results jut posted on my medical portal at 90.....that's the good, no great, news!

Triglycerides 82
Hdl 50
Cho/hdl ratio 5.2
Ldl 194

This can't be good. I have not had a drop of sugar, flour, wheat or frankenfoods since Sept. 1st. I'm worried the doc will want to put me on statins and that the doc in the hospital will put me on a low fat diet!!!!! Really freaking out here....you know how these conventional doctors are!!!

Is it possible lc is not for me even though I feel so great? And, other than cream cheese, I really don't eat that much cheese....see, I'm starting to doubt myself....

I'm sorry, I don't have much advice about the numbers, but remember no doctor can "put you" on anything. You are completely in charge of our own care. Doctors offer advice.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I would give it some time. Phinney and Volek's say that around 30 pounds into your weightless there's a transient increase in cholesterol. I don't know if I think 10 points is even really an increase, though. Could just be a daily fluctuation.

Do you know if your triglyceride number is in the normal range? I think it might be which would be a good sign.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vilanteira
Stats: in maintenance
WOE: juddd/low carb
Start Date: low carb: 2008, juddd: 10/24/11
You may want to take a look at this thread, because interpreting lab results while low carbing can be a bit different than when you're eating the SAD.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ch...ol-primer.html

Also, I could swear I've read on this board and elsewhere as well that labs aren't really that accurate when you've been low carbing or actively losing weight/fat for less than 6 months (or even a year)? I can't remember the exact wording and reasoning so if anyone has a better understanding and would like chime in..?
vilanteira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Phinney and Volek's book also explain why a complete lipid profile is a lot more successful when you are on lc because these numbers are often in error, especially when you are on LC, because of the types of cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL and HDL produced. You'll want to check the book for a more thorough explanation.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susume
Stats: 140/135/120 70 yr.old 4'9"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Well I just keep starting over.
I do not know anything about this but am sorry if it isn`t what it should be. I hope you can talk to your doctor about this. You have done so very well on LC and so I do hope you get some answers about this.
susume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
The blood tests are just numbers, if you feel good that means something. I really question if blood cholesterol, etc. even mean anything especially for people eating low carb. Remember, the doctor can't "put you" on anything. You have to consent. I personally would not go on cholesterol-lowering medication, ever.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Generally for surgery, the doctors arent going to pay a ton of attention to your cholesterol levels, it just doesnt affect the surgery or anesthesia that much.

I would talk over the numbers with your primary care doctor and decide how you are going to address the problem.
I have no idea what your stats are, but according to your profile, you do still have excess weight.... so its possible that your numbers will normalize (or at least be much lower) once you reach your goal.
You could also try something like niacin or Zetia (which blocks intestinal absorption of cholesterol) if you are very opposed to statins.

I totally understand the opposition to statins, but there is also significant research out there (double blind, randomized controlled large trials) that show that reducing LDL cholesterol was the most effective strategy for reducing cardiovascular deaths, and the statins were even more effective in reducing diseased segments than carotid artery bypasses or heart bypasses to bypass the disease segments.

You can also test if you have "large" LDL particles (considered to be less risky) or "small" LDL particles (more risky= associated with worse plaque formation).
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriWants2Lose
Stats: 228.6/192/155
Start Date: October 12, 2012
There is a specific type of test you need to ask for, but I can't remember the acronym for the life of me. I'm thinking Tap or something like that. It gives a more accurate count for us low-carbers. Hoping someone else can chime in on this.
LoriWants2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
It's the VAP test that shows particle size. Definitely read that Cholestrol Primer. It'll show you how to figure out your real numbers, especially since your triglycerides are UNDER 100. It has to be figured differently (the Iranian equation).

Last edited by watcher513; 12-05-2012 at 03:52 AM..
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:18 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: dazygyrl
what were all your numbers in sept? merely going by total cholesterol says nothing. what if it was you HDL that went up? that's not GOOD! and will reflect as a rise in total cholesterol. can you post what they were back then? often times, people on lc can have higher or spike from starting, LDL (bad cholesterol), but upon further testing...VAP and/or CRP...it will show that those 'bad cholesterol' are the fluffy, non-hazerdous particles. so until you know more about that, i would not worry. and for sure do not let your dr talk you into statins!! nasty things!
dazygyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sparkysarah
Stats: 5'8" 187/187/155
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 10/20/14
I wouldn't worry about 10 points b/c that is in the realm of statistical error. 10 points/250 points = 4%.

I've never heard about cholesterol changing during weight loss but that makes sense, I can't wait to read about that.

Just as an FYI I had my cholesterol checked at a healthfair when I was 6 months pregnant....it was sky high...my OB/GYN wasn't phased at all, it always goes up in pregnancy. They rechecked it 3 months after delivery and it was back to normal.
sparkysarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:56 AM   #13

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/124.8/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
It's the VAP test that shows particle size. Definitely read that Cholestrol Primer. It'll show you how to figure out your real numbers, especially since your triglycerides are UNDER 100. It has to be figured differently (the Iranian equation).
The VAP was just on my tv this morning!!! A lab around here is offering that test for $79. Since my DH has high cholesterol I am thinking I may have him do that one. Every time he sees his family doc, he tells him to go on a statin. Even if he goes in for breathing problems, possible flu, the doc always brings up his cholesterol results. It is quite frustrating So much that we need to find him a new doc! Anyway, the doc tells him to go on a statin, and my DH doesn't. His numbers are higher than the OPs. Just saying....the doctor can tell you whatever he "has to". You can do what you want to. It just seems that this particular doc my DH sees gets a kickback every time he prescribes a statin--seems that way anyway
Old 12-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I hear you.
I completely understand you being upset.
We have been told for decades about the evils of fat.
Nothing anyone says is going to completely erase that fact.
It was with great interest that I read your post. I too have been on a
pretty strict low carb regimine since September. My first post lc blood test is
this coming Monday. It will take about 10 days for the results to get to me.
I'll post them at that time, and we can compare the changes to see if they are consistant.
I wish you all health.
thanks for posting this
Old 12-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
According to the guidelines handed out for biometric assessments required by my insurance plan, most of your numbers--fasting blood glucose, triglicerides, HDL--are in the normal to very good range. As another poster has noted, your LDL measurement may be miscalculated (calculated by the wrong formula) because your triglicerides are lower than average (which is good). In general, I'd be pleased with those results; if the HDL results worry you, look into getting a VAP test and read more about cholesterol from searching past posts on this board (my understanding is that HDL in the range you report is not such a big concern for women, anyway).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SeaMaiden
WOE: Low Carb/Gluten-Free/No Aspartame or Sucralose
Are you hypothyroid? How are your Vitamin D levels? Both of those raise cholesterol to numbers that are higher than normal. (Which I deal with). Hang in there.. you'll find out what works for you. Oh, and there's new studies that say stress also raises cholesterol, so try to relax!!! (I know, easier said than done!)
SeaMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
Triglycerides 82
Hdl 50
Cho/hdl ratio 5.2
Ldl 194

Your trig's look good, your HDL looks good. I researched this a lot when my own cholesterol went up on low-carb and it just confused me all the more. There's one video in particular that I found reassuring, I think it was called "The Oiling of America" and talked about how there haven't been conclusive studies showing that high cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease, and that the pharm companies that sell statins keep lowering the number of what total cholesterol should be. It's a confusing topic for me, but Dr. Davis is pretty set on both trigs being low and also cholesterol going up during weight loss being normal. This may be of help: I lost weight and my cholesterol . . . went up! | Wheat Belly Blog
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
Just because a doctor prescribes something doesn't mean you have to take it. NEVER FORGET THAT.

My cholesterol improved significantly in 5 out of 8 markers, including a drop from almost 300 triglycerides to just over 100 and she still wanted to put me on a statin. I said, "no thanks". My particle size is in line now, etc. So I just said no!

As far as hospital stays, can you bring your own food or have someone bring food in? Because if they start jacking you up with carbs and sugar and "healthy whole grains", you'll have to detox when you get out on top of whatever pain, rehab, etc. you may be going through.

I wish you luck in your upcoming surgery - HUGS!!
Old 12-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: HappyHappyJoyJoy
Stats: 201.8/160.6/161
Start Date: April 10,2012
One more thing: I have point blank asked my doctor why if millions of people are on statins, heart attacks are not significantly decreasing or decreasing at all? She has no answer. Therefore I call "no statins for me". The side effects are horrendous.

I'm not sure there is a direct, simple relationship between cholesterol and heart attacks. Then you get the cases where people have great cholesterol and they get heart attacks (Tim Russert, etc.).

And don't even get me started on the fact that they almost never study women and our requirements for cholesterol are significantly different from men, in some studies I've seen.
HappyHappyJoyJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mia Savannah
Stats: 136/126/120-5'4
WOE: Atkins - Restarted March 30, 2011
Start Date: April 25, 2006
I searched for some info and found this article:

http://www.preventionandhealing.com/...cience-NEW.pdf
Mia Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
This is EXACTLY why I love this board and YOU guys!!!

After reading all your responses and the links posted I have taken a HUGE chill pill. First off, NO ONE can make me take statins especially since after reading all your information I don't think the kind of teating they do is accurate for a low carber. While I didn't completely grasp the Iranian way of calculating total cholesterol, I do now u derstand that there a different kinds of LDL, ESPECIALLY when the Triglycerides are low like mine.

In the last 5 years I have lost over 100 pounds and now have no doubt whatsoever that I can and will be eating like this for the rest of my life.

All your information was very empowering and I am so grateful and not even the least bit concerned at this point! One link in particular was the Cholesterol Primer that probably every low carber should read....there is a wealth of information in that link...

Again, I'm grateful to each and every one of you for your supportive information!!

Marieze
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: deedee
Stats: 254/180/150; 5'5"
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: vlc 1/2/12 @ 254; JUDDD restart 2/26/14 @ 200
Quote:
I'm not sure there is a direct, simple relationship between cholesterol and heart attacks. Then you get the cases where people have great cholesterol and they get heart attacks (Tim Russert, etc.).
The Weston Price Foundation are big proponents of cholesterol being a good thing. They make compelling arguments for it, especially in the case of women.

marieze I'm glad you feel better about things! Doctors can really terrify you, especially when it comes to something that is SO pushed on them by pharm companies. Good luck with the upcoming surgery.
deedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sinny
WOE: atkins
Start Date: L.C 11/14/2004 WW 2/13/2013
The dr prescribed meds for me and I didn't take them .I went on LC and they went way down,but it was 6 mts in between visits. Maybe it needs little more time.
sinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Kateee
Stats: 220/162.2/155 (5'9")
WOE: Atkins Phase 3-4
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post

Triglycerides 82
Hdl 50
Cho/hdl ratio 5.2
Ldl 194

I just had my doctor visit on Nov 27th
My AC1 was 5.6
My Total cholesterol 270
Tri 96
HDL 68
LDL 183

I thought for sure she would put me on a statin, but she felt it unnessary since my HDL has been steadily improving.

My March 2, 2010
HDL 39

I told her I was doing the Dr ATkins diet, and she said fine, and to continue what I've been doing, but she would like to see my LDL lower. She advise an aspirin a day.
Kateee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: teri f
Stats: 203/127/125
WOE: High fat VLC
Start Date: Original start: January 3, 2001. Restart 6/18/2007
Your HDL and triglycerides are fabulous. If you are that worried about he ldl being high, get a VAP test done. I would never take statins under any circumstances. I bet you VAP test will show fat fluffy ldl particles. That's a good thing. Total cholesterol doesnt mean squat.
teri f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
I'm one of those that believe the cholesterol thing is a complete myth, especially for women. I seem to remember a study that stated just that, not long ago!
snowmop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Also, The Great Cholesterol Con by Dr. Kendrick is an excellent and easy read.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
" According to US research, high cholesterol in women is not a statistically significant risk " (from generic Google search)

If you do a search for "higher cholesterol protective for older women" you'll find lots of reasssurance.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
In 2010, Zoe Harcombe wrote "Cholesterol & heart disease – there is a relationship, but it’s not what you think". Google it--it will make you feel a lot better.
Janknitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 AM   #30

Gallery: heidihoopi
Stats: Hi-290/268/Current 247/175
WOE: LC-ish, LoCal
Start Date: Restart 10/20/14
How's your butter and heavy cream intake?
heidihoopi is offline   Reply With Quote