Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #31
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Yes, I had a dramatic increase in my LDL when I began using coconut oil--exactly 40 points that dropped when I stopped using it--as my doctor advised.

Like this poster, substituting CO for my regular EVOO was the only change I made, so it was obviously the effect of the CO--as was evident when my LDL dropped after I stopped using it.

Also, although my LDL is 100% the 'large. fluffy' Pattern A, my cardiologist and primary doctor BOTH say that elevated LDL is dangerous regardless of the type. Keeping the LDL within limits is important, and mine has been fine since I eliminated CO.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nmb472
Stats: 180/169/145
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: April 1, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
Yes, I had a dramatic increase in my LDL when I began using coconut oil--exactly 40 points that dropped when I stopped using it--as my doctor advised.

Like this poster, substituting CO for my regular EVOO was the only change I made, so it was obviously the effect of the CO--as was evident when my LDL dropped after I stopped using it.

Also, although my LDL is 100% the 'large. fluffy' Pattern A, my cardiologist and primary doctor BOTH say that elevated LDL is dangerous regardless of the type. Keeping the LDL within limits is important, and mine has been fine since I eliminated CO.
I was quite shocked at my LDL going up 100 points but to have my HDL lowered was just as bad. I did not notice any other benefits happening for me that are listed on many of C.O. websites.

I am glad to hear that your numbers returned to normal and I won't worry over these next 90 days till my next test.

I think it is a good idea for anyone starting a new diet additive whether it is C.O. or herbs, vitamins, etc that they have a blood workup done prior to starting to see how these things work for or against them.
nmb472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Mine went up, too!

I never paid much attention to cholesterol because I have been healthy and fit. I went low carb a year ago. Before that total cholesterol was under 200 ( don't have breakdown.).

Now it is 293. LDL almost 200. HDL 90. Triglycerides 31.

From this discussion, it sounds like my first move is to cut CO. I eat 1tsp in my broth twice a day, and I have a fat bomb once a day that contains roughly 1 tbsp each. I have a few tbsp of coconut manna as a snack a couple times a week. I feel good on high fat, so I'm not sure what I'll substitute but it is worth experimenting.

My doc didn't even tell me my results, so I guess he isn't too concerned, but I asked the receptionist so I could at least see them.

I'm open to any insight here!

Yvonne
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #34
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amagus
I'm glad I found this thread and I'm not the only one. Previous blood work from a year ago was LDL 66, HDL 61, Triglycerides 44. I had been roughly at this level for 3 years straight. A couple of weeks back my results came back at LDL 113, HDL 70, Triglycerides 43. Needless to say I was a bit shocked.

One of the biggest changes I made in my diet in the last year was changing my breakfasts from cereal/berries/nuts to (in an attempt to eliminate grain from my diet) whole fruit/vegetable/fat smoothies, which included avocado/coconut oil, which had not previously been a regular part of my diet. Sugar intake is roughly the same as before, and I can't imagine avocados having this effect, so after reading this thread I'm convinced it's the coconut oil.

I'm going to dump the coconut oil and see what my blood looks like at the next checkup. I know people who say if the increase if from the large fluffy LDL type, then it's not necessarily a negative thing, but I can't imagine this being a positive development as my LDL/HDL ratio got significantly worse and my other stats didn't really change (blood sugar, blood pressure, BMI all roughly the same and in a healthy range).

Last edited by Amagus; 08-12-2013 at 10:41 AM..
Amagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nmb472
Stats: 180/169/145
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: April 1, 2002
Yvonne,

My cholesterol had been great for many years and changed within 2 months and the only dietary change was the CO. I am sure you will find cutting it out will bring your numbers back in line. Low carb eating improved my cholesterol. The LDL was very low and the HDL was high but the CO changed all that. I am surprised your doctor was not concerned at the 293 number since most was LDL.
nmb472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:00 AM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Amaqus, you may want to do a google search for the dangers of verry low chlosterol. Verry low chlosterol like you used to have with a LDL of 66 puts you at a higher risk for hemorrhagic stroke, cancer and infections. A couple of years ago when my total chlosterol got down to 132 my Dr. told me to stop taking my statins! Here is a graph looking at this. It fails to mention
that verry low chlosterol is also linked to an incresed risk of depression too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J-LIT all cause.jpg (11.9 KB, 4 views)
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmb472 View Post
Yvonne,

My cholesterol had been great for many years and changed within 2 months and the only dietary change was the CO. I am sure you will find cutting it out will bring your numbers back in line. Low carb eating improved my cholesterol. The LDL was very low and the HDL was high but the CO changed all that. I am surprised your doctor was not concerned at the 293 number since most was LDL.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I'm surprised I didn't hear from the dr. Maybe he doesn't even check the labs?

So, I've cut the CO from my broth, that's easy. I had stocked up on some coconut manna, so I'll have to figure out what to do with that. I also was eating a fat bomb as a morning snack, and I'm still figuring out what to replace it with. Maybe an ounce of nuts.

I'm grateful for the info and support here! These are my only post low-carb labs, and it's so disappointing.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvonnem2000 View Post
I never paid much attention to cholesterol because I have been healthy and fit. I went low carb a year ago. Before that total cholesterol was under 200 ( don't have breakdown.).

Now it is 293. LDL almost 200. HDL 90. Triglycerides 31.

From this discussion, it sounds like my first move is to cut CO. I eat 1tsp in my broth twice a day, and I have a fat bomb once a day that contains roughly 1 tbsp each. I have a few tbsp of coconut manna as a snack a couple times a week. I feel good on high fat, so I'm not sure what I'll substitute but it is worth experimenting.

My doc didn't even tell me my results, so I guess he isn't too concerned, but I asked the receptionist so I could at least see them.

I'm open to any insight here! Yvonne
You doc, like mine, probably looks at ratios. Yours are ideal. From everything I've read, the trig/hdl ratio is the new, best indicator of risk of heart disease.
I think my total was 263 last check. My doc said not to worry about it, and was surprised that another doc wanted to put be on a statin.
I played the other doc's game once and cut back on saturated fats, ate leaner proteins, salmon, evoo... and retested. Mt HDL went down and my LDL went up.
Keep us posted.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote