Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
LDL/HDL 'ratio'?

My LDL/HDL ratio is 3.3.

Can anyone explain what the meaning of this is??

I posted in an earlier thread about my numbers today, but Ill give them to you again:

Cholesterol- 263
Triglycerides-119
HDL-55
LDL-184
VLDL- 24.0
Chol/HDL ratio- 5
LDL/HDL ratio-3.3
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2010, 10:38 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Griffen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM View Post
My LDL/HDL ratio is 3.3.

Can anyone explain what the meaning of this is??

I posted in an earlier thread about my numbers today, but Ill give them to you again:

Cholesterol- 263
Triglycerides-119
HDL-55
LDL-184
VLDL- 24.0
Chol/HDL ratio- 5
LDL/HDL ratio-3.3
Fortunately, I have a template for dealing with this kind of question....

Cholesterol Ratios

The ideal ratio of Total/HDL is 4.4 for women and 5 for men. Also, according to http://wwww.yourmedicaldetective.com/public/532.cfm and several other sites, the ratio of your trigs to your HDL will indicate whether your LDL is small and dense (bad) or large and fluffy (neutral). A larger number indicates smaller LDL particles and a smaller number indicates larger LDL particles. It's an inverse relationship.

Your Total/HDL ratio is 4.8. That's not wonderful, but it's not as bad as it could be - I've seen much worse. The best way to fix that is to lower your trigs and raise your HDL, and other people have posted about ways to do that - I'd do a search.

The ideal ratio of Trig/HDL is 2 or below. 4 is high. 6 is "danger!!" Yours is 2.16, which is great.

Additionally, a low ratio of Trig/HDL is great because it's a semi-reliable indicator of lower free insulin levels. Lower free insulin is good. However, this doesn't appear to work for those of African descent, so take that with a grain of salt.

The ratio of LDL to HDL is considered to be a marker of carotid plaque, or how much plaque you have built up in your arteries. The ideal levels are below 4.4; 4.4-7.1 is average risk for developing heart disease; 7.1 to 11 is a moderate risk of heart disease; and greater than 11 means you have a high risk of developing heart disease.

Your LDL/HDL ratio is 3.3, which is well below 4.4, and that means you're doing fine.

Also see: Low-carbohydrate diets increase LDL: debunking the myth | The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. for more information about cholesterol generally, and http://www.atherotech.com/images/vap...sterolTest.pdf for more information about the specific results of a VAP test. Lipids Online: Educational Resources in Atherosclerosis has an article about the LDL/HDL ratio, and What Does LDL And HDL Ratio Mean? has the numbers I cited for LDL/HDL ratio level meanings.
Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MichelleM
Stats: no ideaaa what I weigh:)
WOE: atkins
Start Date: did Atkins successfully in 2010.Got to goal.
thanx so much griffin. Nice of you to take the time to explain that!
MichelleM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:37 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: chiody
Stats: 245/153/165 6'0" Diabetic T2, No Meds 22 yrs.
WOE: LC/Paleo/IF (Maintenance) HbA1C 4.5 2011
Griffen, looked at your reference for LDL/HDL ideal ratios:

"One should lower LDL thereby raising the HDL level. If the LDL/HDL ratio lies within 3.3-4.4 then the patient is at low risk. If it is within the value range 4.4-7.1 then there is average risk for developing the heart disease. If the ratio lies within the range of 7.1-11.0 then there is a moderate risk. If the ratio is greater than 11.0 then there is high risk of developing the heart disease. Absolute cholesterol treatment is useful for the treatment rather the LDL/HDL ratio."

My question is "low risk" not as good as ideal? And from what I've researched below 3 is more the range fitting that parameter?

Thanks... and with as much time as you've researched and spent, my mind would be boggled with all the data! FWIW my data point is what is currently utilized by Lab Techs when advising interns/residents at a major teaching hospital in Chicago with interpretation of cholesterol screening ratios.

Last edited by chiody; 02-17-2010 at 04:40 AM..
chiody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Griffen
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiody View Post
Griffen, looked at your reference for LDL/HDL ideal ratios:

"One should lower LDL thereby raising the HDL level. If the LDL/HDL ratio lies within 3.3-4.4 then the patient is at low risk. If it is within the value range 4.4-7.1 then there is average risk for developing the heart disease. If the ratio lies within the range of 7.1-11.0 then there is a moderate risk. If the ratio is greater than 11.0 then there is high risk of developing the heart disease. Absolute cholesterol treatment is useful for the treatment rather the LDL/HDL ratio."

My question is "low risk" not as good as ideal? And from what I've researched below 3 is more the range fitting that parameter?

Thanks... and with as much time as you've researched and spent, my mind would be boggled with all the data! FWIW my data point is what is currently utilized by Lab Techs when advising interns/residents at a major teaching hospital in Chicago with interpretation of cholesterol screening ratios.
Okay, with cholesterol the goal is always to be at or below the ideal (except in the case of HDL, where you want to be at or above the ideal). If the ideal is 3.3 to 4.4, then 4.4 is the top end of "ideal" and anything below that is better.

Thank you for the compliment on the work I did!
Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote