Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #241
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: marylouise
Stats: 300 / 154.8 / 150-5'3"- 61 YR.
WOE: 72` DADR with the List!
Start Date: March 1, 2011
SweetLeaf 100% Natural Stevia Sweetener SweetLeaf
100% Natural Stevia Sweetener

SweetLeaf 100% Natural Stevia Sweetener is a completely natural, no-calorie, no-carbohydrate supplement that's sweeter than sugar. It's loaded with inulin, an all-natural vegetable soluble fiber found naturally in fruits and vegetables, which nourishes the body's good intestinal flora, improving digestive health and immune function. Ideal for diabetics, weight watchers and everyone else, too. Unlike chemical sweeteners, it is great for cooking and baking. No saccharin, aspartame, refined sugar, maltodextrin, fructose or artificial sweeteners of any kind. The shaker bottle is a very convenient way to use SweetLeaf. The 4-oz. shaker bottle comes with a shaker side and a lid to insert a measuring spoon.
marylouise is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #242
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: capricapers
Stats: goal 150
WOE: Ketogenic 85 F/12 P/3 C
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Well nuts! I just bought some about two weeks ago - I think I'm OK, but maybe I could be doing better? I only use maybe two packets a week at the most - not a big sweet tooth here. Take those things back to the store - if your store is like my chain - they will take it back even without a receipt and if it is Walmart (which has a strict policy) maybe they will give you store credit?

That is our pool - trying to get out and do water exercises every day. Thanks! You can splash anytime!

Yeah, that video is amazing for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylouise View Post
Exclamation Warning: Stay away from Stevia in the Raw

Grrr, I'm so mad! I just discovered (after buying 2 boxes) that Stevia in the Raw contains dextrose, which is a form of sugar!! I was careless and didn't read the label because I figured stevia was stevia. I've been using this for at least a week and wonder how much it has affected my losses. I've actually emailed the company asking for my money back--we'll see what they do. In the meantime, stick with SweetLeaf brand as it has nothing else added.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found this while searching Stevia. I have been using the Stevia in the Raw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is BADDDDDDDDDDDDDD
This makes me MADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I have been trying my very best to get my weight loss restarted. I have been working my butt off to figure this stall out!
This is the very first time I have heard about the Sweet Leaf brand! I dont think I have ever seen that BRAND
capricapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:09 PM   #243
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricapers View Post
The good news is that your LDL looks WAY BETTER! Have you had a VAP test to see if your LDL is the large fluffy kind? You want large fluffy LDL - not a big deal if #s are high if that type A.

Off the top of my head I would say put unrefined coconut oil into your diet if you are not already - start slowly and work up to three to four TBLS a day. Put Omega 3 into your diet if not already. Mega Red Krill oil, salmon oil, fish oil that type thing along with chia seeds - two TBLSP a day.

Cut carbs drastically - that will bring the tri numbers down - did for me. Stay away from fried foods - those transfats and hydrogenated oils will kill us all yet if we are not on our toes.

Research on this forum and other places - how to raise HDL and lower LDL and trigs. An LC WOE brought my lipids into amazing new healthy places!!!

Gotta do 20 minutes of exercise a day that gets the heart going - there's just no way around it.

You can do this! Talk with your DR to see what he/she says.

Some folks take Red Rice Yeast (to combat high cholesterol) - but it is reported to have some of the same effects as prescribed station - do your research first.

Firstly I would say to scroll back and watch the video below entitled 'The Oiling of America.' It's two hours long - but worth every minute!!
Thanks for your feedback. Earlier in this thread, you'll see where my numbers where wayyyy better when I followed LC. I have since been off plan, and have done hcg where I cut sat fats and added carbs, like bread and fruit. Then because the diet was so low in cals, I would binge on any and everything including fat + sugar (deadly combo). I have since spoken to Fawn, and she suggest that I go back to sat fats, cut carbs. I am going to start exercising daily like I use to and take oils. I have CLO (liquid + caps) in the fridge and will start taking tonight.

Thank you so much. The sad part is the nurse at work who did my blood work thinks my numbers are great!!! And when my HDL was 75, tri 88, ratio 3.49, my doctor wanted to put me on statins, but I refused to take them. I saw a cardiologist, said my heart and everything was good, no blockage, nothing, and he didn't want to put me on statins. he just suggested i get on oils, cut out animal fat, and start eating better and working out.

bottom line, i don't want to develop heart disease. that is my biggest fear, so from this point, i am making the necessary changes to become healthy.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #244

how do i up my HDL without increasing my LDL and trig to much? I'll go back and watch those videos you mentioned. Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #245

Quote:
Oh my gosh :-(
why you say omg? u scaring me
Old 07-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #246
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Oh my gosh :-(
I said OMG because it upset you. I went back just now and read what you have wrote since I was last here. My computer crashed. I am on my husbands.

I am working hard to get those numbers in good standing with the docs protocol. I don't agree with the number's they are using. Nothing this wee self can ever do to change the mines of old farts. Notice I said mines.

Any-who I was just responding with the first thing that popped in my head. I sounded upset, but I see now why your numbers are out of whack.....

You went off the LC plan and ate bad things. That is the biggest thing on my mind constantly.

If one is on LC and eats off plan all that you have ate or drank is instantly converted over to sugar burn and there for will be stored for energy. You will release sugar and other such things into your blood stream.
Your numbers will be wacky.........
Dangerous too...Worse for old woman like me...Scary.....

I have been eating SF products. I have stopped all eating like that. I have gained. I changed my stats. I was 157. For several months I was that weight. Now because of too many SF carbs I am paying the piper.

Clean 72 induction.
Eggs
meat
cheese
no more than 8 green olives
I will list my new complete vitamin intake tomorrow.

It is too late to do it now. I think it is very important to add the supplements. Dr. Atkins did too!

Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #247
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JuneCC
Stats: 223/147/124, 5' 3.5"
WOE: Dr. Bernstein; Last A1C=5.5
Start Date: Dx 12/2010 w/A1C=13.3 & FBG=303
Quote:
Originally Posted by @iamMeekness View Post
how do i up my HDL without increasing my LDL and trig to much? I'll go back and watch those videos you mentioned. Thanks again.
I started taking MegaRed Krill Oil, one 300mg capsule a day. In 6 months my HDL went up 17 and my trigs went down 21. (I also lost another 20 lbs.) This, of course, changed my TG/HDL ratio. It went from 2.76 to 1.76 in 6 months. Less than 2 is considered ideal and means you have predominantly the large, fluffy LDL type of particles. (My all-time high was 4.45 at time of type2 dx. That changed to 2.76 from going low-carb & from losing weight.)

Pretty good easy-read article here by Dr. Sears:
The Heart Attack Culprit: Cholesterol Isn't to Blame

If you don't want to read the whole thing, just do a Ctrl+F search for "TG/HDL ratio" (w/o parentheses) but the whole thing is worth reading.
JuneCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:57 AM   #248

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneCC View Post
I started taking MegaRed Krill Oil, one 300mg capsule a day. In 6 months my HDL went up 17 and my trigs went down 21. (I also lost another 20 lbs.) This, of course, changed my TG/HDL ratio. It went from 2.76 to 1.76 in 6 months. Less than 2 is considered ideal and means you have predominantly the large, fluffy LDL type of particles. (My all-time high was 4.45 at time of type2 dx. That changed to 2.76 from going low-carb & from losing weight.)

Pretty good easy-read article here by Dr. Sears:
The Heart Attack Culprit: Cholesterol Isn't to Blame

If you don't want to read the whole thing, just do a Ctrl+F search for "TG/HDL ratio" (w/o parentheses) but the whole thing is worth reading.
WOW, I am impressed by how quickly your numbers changed. That's for the encouragement. I'll check out the article now.

Thank you.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #249
Blabbermouth!!!

Capricapers how are you doing? Hope you are gettng some swim time in. I love the way your pool is closed in with that wrap around screen! I just noticed the screen. I bet it is awesome. No flying bugs!!!

Be several days since I have been able to post. Computer problems.

I went to Whole Foods and was able to get 2- 29 ounces of Nutiva CO

FOUND SOME MORE DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS TOO!!!

Here is my complete list. If you seen anything I dont have that you think I need to get please tell me.

1. Niacin from TwinLabs. Crystalline Pure. 500 mg. This will FLUSH you! I am taking the other so called Niacin back to Walmart. It will not make you Flush. About that flush. I kind of was scared the first time. But now it kind of feels good! Take it after you eat and it is not too bad.

2. L-Arginine 1,000mg. Supports vascular health.

3. D3 IU, From natural fish oil.

4. Potasium Chloride 10 mcg. Precription.

5. Ubiquinal 50mg. cellular Active CoQ10

6. Mega Red

7. L-Lysine 500mg.

8. Chromium Picolinate

9. Melatonin 2mg for sleep aid...and it works!

The first 1,2,3 and 5 I got at Whole Foods. Good stuff. AS soon as I take the others I will be getting them from Whole Food. Well I may take the other stuff back to Walmart too and gettign the real stuff.

The brand of the things I got at Whole Food is TwinLabs and Blue Bonnet.

Got a new hair brush too
Old 07-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #250
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Capricapers how are you doing? Hope you are gettng some swim time in. I love the way your pool is closed in with that wrap around screen! I just noticed the screen. I bet it is awesome. No flying bugs!!!

Be several days since I have been able to post. Computer problems.

I went to Whole Foods and was able to get 2- 29 ounces of Nutiva CO

FOUND SOME MORE DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS TOO!!!

Here is my complete list. If you seen anything I dont have that you think I need to get please tell me.

1. Niacin from TwinLabs. Crystalline Pure. 500 mg. This will FLUSH you! I am taking the other so called Niacin back to Walmart. It will not make you Flush. About that flush. I kind of was scared the first time. But now it kind of feels good! Take it after you eat and it is not too bad.

2. L-Arginine 1,000mg. Supports vascular health.

3. D3 IU, From natural fish oil.

4. Potasium Chloride 10 mcg. Precription.

5. Ubiquinal 50mg. cellular Active CoQ10

6. Mega Red

7. L-Lysine 500mg.

8. Chromium Picolinate

9. Melatonin 2mg for sleep aid...and it works!

The first 1,2,3 and 5 I got at Whole Foods. Good stuff. AS soon as I take the others I will be getting them from Whole Food. Well I may take the other stuff back to Walmart too and gettign the real stuff.

The brand of the things I got at Whole Food is TwinLabs and Blue Bonnet.

Got a new hair brush too
Hey ML! How's everything?

Great! So you did find the amount of Niacin that will give you that flush.

Wish we had a Whole Foods here - nearest one is about an hour away.

We already chatted about the Vit. D supplement - but do what your Dr says for sure.

The new ones we've added are:

ACETYL - L - CARNITINE

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Ubiquinol

Melatonin 6mg (me) OR
5 - HTP (me) never both on the same day

Mega Red 300

That pool screen is very very common in Florida - the bugs just will eat you alive sometimes. There's one that still is a pest called a No See Um, so at dusk and in the evening we light citronella candles, lamps and tiki torches... that firelight on the water at night is magical.

Is the Potasium Chloride you take for a specific issue? I looked it up and it says make sure you drink a lot of water.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #251
Blabbermouth!!!

I bet it is Magical! Sounds dreamie :-)

I forget about the V-D? Can you tell me again.....

I take the Pot because I take lasix. And if I drank extra water it would just make me retain more water, wouldn't it?? I have been told it is hard on the heart, though...

Let me tell you about the Niacin!!! OH my goodness. Do you take Niacin?? Well if the answer is yes trust me the one you are taking does not work if you haven't felt the flush. I need to read up on that stuff some more. I thought I was goiing to die today.

The first time I took it I took it on an empty stomach. Big mistake. next several times I took it while I was eating. Well today I wanted to make sure that is what happened to me the other day soooooo I took it again on a empty stomach. I almost didn't make it to my bed. And I thought I was dying. I called my DH in the bedroom. It is only about 3 steps from the living room. we are in our travel bus. it is a 1948 Grey Hound Bus. Kind of stuffed in here like sardines. We have a house in Tennessee we are trying to sell. And until it sells this Sardine is home. :-(

He was scared to death too! I ant kidding here. Never ever take it on a empty stomach! Flush. ha-ha is a gentle word!

Last edited by marylouise; 07-10-2012 at 03:27 PM..
Old 07-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #252
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh I dont have a doctor...

I see a nurse prac. at the health dept. No doctor..
Old 07-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #253
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I bet it is Magical! Sounds dreamie :-)

I forget about the V-D? Can you tell me again.....

I take the Pot because I take lasix. And if I drank extra water it would just make me retain more water, wouldn't it?? I have been told it is hard on the heart, though...

Let me tell you about the Niacin!!! OH my goodness. Do you take Niacin?? Well if the answer is yes trust me the one you are taking does not work if you haven't felt the flush. I need to read up on that stuff some more. I thought I was goiing to die today.

The first time I took it I took it on an empty stomach. Big mistake. next several times I took it while I was eating. Well today I wanted to make sure that is what happened to me the other day soooooo I took it again on a empty stomach. I almost didn't make it to my bed. And I thought I was dying. I called my DH in the bedroom. It is only about 3 steps from the living room. we are in our travel bus. it is a 1948 Grey Hound Bus. Kind of stuffed in here like sardines. We have a house in Tennessee we are trying to sell. And until it sells this Sardine is home. :-(

He was scared to death too! I ant kidding here. Never ever take it on a empty stomach! Flush. ha-ha is a gentle word!
No, I do not take niacin. Due to taking Motrin 800 daily for years turns out my kidney numbers are nothing to brag about anymore. Dr. says I'm good to go - but niacin I've read is tough on kidneys - so I figured I could do without it. I did take it years and years ago and remember well that flush - that mighty reddening flush. Don't really miss it. If I was working on a cholesterol problem right now - I might be taking it for a while - never say never. Sounds like on an empty stomach is a HUGE NO! NO!!

Re the Vit D - I just had related that recent news articles on TV and in print had issued warnings about taking it anymore - that and calcium - it's said that we should not.

Have a happy day ahead ML!

Last edited by capricapers; 07-11-2012 at 10:07 AM..
Old 09-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxiemom
Stats: 208/166.2/160
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 9/9/11
bump for all the good info here.

Just found out my total cholesterol is 340 and HDL is 74. No other info on my tests results about cholesterol. I am low carb. Doctor wants me on statins but I'm afraid of them. Any advice? I have made a list of all the supplements listed here.
Doxiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #255

I've heard on this board that being on HCG puts Cholesterol on the move which is why yours might be high. I am commenting based on your stats!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #256
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doxiemom
Stats: 208/166.2/160
WOE: HCG
Start Date: 9/9/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by @iamMeekness View Post
I've heard on this board that being on HCG puts Cholesterol on the move which is why yours might be high. I am commenting based on your stats!
You are right. I was on hcg when my blood was drawn. I am now on JUDD/ marylouise style. She has taught me a lot about lowering protein.
Doxiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #257
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scutters
Stats: 5'10" 252/160/155
WOE: low carb but with steel cut oats , fruit, fage
Start Date: dec 3, 2002
can anyone please give me some insight?!!! My numbers 2010 after 8 years low carb, very little cheating if any,, total 221, tri-40, hdl 90, chol/hdl 2.5, ldl-123, vldl 8, and ldl/hdl 1.4. fasting glucose 88.fast forward to 2012..menopause, diagnosed with interstitial cystitis...had to give up a lot of foods including coffee...have been cycling between very low carb and then eating very high carb....cravings have been bad on elavil which i take for ic....anyhow been back and forth trying to lose weight and then caving into cravings...new numbers...total 271, tri 113, hdl 79, chol/hdl 3.4, ldl 169, vldl 23, ldl/hdl 2.1, fasting glucose 99. Don't see doc till next week..he wanted my ldl to drop below 100..ha ha.. I exercise 4 days a week and have for 10 years.my weight has stayed within 5-7 pounds either way...5 foot nine and weigh 161...will dropping the sugar and staying with low carb(no cheating) decrease the triglycerides...what will drop the ldl....just need some reassurance that i need to really do low carb and not switch to low fat...how quickly after strictly staying on low carb should i have blood work repeated..sorry so long, i am afraid he will want to start me on meds...no cardiac risk or history thanks you so much
scutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #258
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: scutters
Stats: 5'10" 252/160/155
WOE: low carb but with steel cut oats , fruit, fage
Start Date: dec 3, 2002
Anyone! Please!
scutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cactusrose63
Stats: 156/156/130 - 5'4", Age: 53
WOE: JUDDD 1900/800 or less if I can!
Start Date: JUDDD restart June 2014
Subbing....
cactusrose63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #260
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LafitteLady
Stats: 190/187/130
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Feb. 10, 2013
I have just started back this week on low carb after just over a year off. My doctor told me last week ago that she wants to put me on cholesterol medication because of these lab readings:

Total cholesterol: 283
HDL: 60
Triglycerides: 213
LDL: 180

I have been pretty sick for most of this year. I had the flu which, for some reason, sent my blood pressure through the roof. (My highest reading was 201/156.) It took 4 ER visits and a hospitalization plus a lot of medication adjustment to get it back to normal levels. Last week, she changed my medication again and my blood pressure is finally normal. I have been able to start exercising again and am feeling great.

My doctor wanted me to go for more lab work to check my liver, then she'll call in a prescription for the cholesterol medicine. I was going to do that until I saw this thread. I've started niacin (800 mg. once a day) and I started fish oil twice daily about a month ago. I expect her to be unhappy but I'm going to insist on giving it a few months before going on any medication.
LafitteLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:40 AM   #261
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SharonB61
Stats: 168/132/135
WOE: VLC / IF
I posted this in another thread, but figured it may get more views here:

After almost a year on a keto diet, I went to get my lipids checked and am somewhat shocked at the results.

Before:

Total Cholesterol 211
HDL 79
Triglycerides 62
LDL 117

After:

Total Cholesterol 300
HDL 97
Triglycerides 52
LDL 176

As is apparent here, my total cholesterol shot up dramatically. My Dr was very concerned and had me take an NMR profile, and the results of that were interesting to say the least. My LDL number was made of up predominately large "fluffy" cholesterol particles.

Is this normal with a low carb WOE? From my understanding most people report a drop in cholesterol levels. Now I'm concerned that perhaps all the fat I'm eating is having an effect. I'm really confused as this is not what I expected.

Anyone have any insight?!?!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #262

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonB61 View Post
I posted this in another thread, but figured it may get more views here:

After almost a year on a keto diet, I went to get my lipids checked and am somewhat shocked at the results.

Before:

Total Cholesterol 211
HDL 79
Triglycerides 62
LDL 117

After:

Total Cholesterol 300
HDL 97
Triglycerides 52
LDL 176

As is apparent here, my total cholesterol shot up dramatically. My Dr was very concerned and had me take an NMR profile, and the results of that were interesting to say the least. My LDL number was made of up predominately large "fluffy" cholesterol particles.

Is this normal with a low carb WOE? From my understanding most people report a drop in cholesterol levels. Now I'm concerned that perhaps all the fat I'm eating is having an effect. I'm really confused as this is not what I expected.

Anyone have any insight?!?!
From my very minimal understanding of lipids, I say....Wow! Forget the total number.I know that is difficult. Look at your HDL! I have never seen that before. Wonderful! And your trigs? Awesome. LDL...big fat particle A. It is a winner!

I was reading Jimmy Moore's facebook and he eats super high fat, low carb. Keto diet...I bet he would jump for joy with these numbers.

The kicker is the total....very hard for mainstream to stop focusing in that number. There is an interesting youtube video out there from the Weston Price crew, Sally is her name, and she says that the "establishment" should not dictate what each individual cholesterol is. (hence trying to stay under 220) Each of us is unique. There are also studies that people with high cholesterol live a long life...as long as they don't have whacked out HDL/LDL and you have stellar numbers!!

I do no know if you have read any of Dr William Davis stuff either...he is big on lipids and says he likes this target - 60/60/60/60....that would be 60 (or higher HDL), 60 for LDL, 60 for trigs and 60 for vit D...however, I do recall he said the LDL is tricky to get the 60....ad that we have inherit factors and in the end, check the particle size. You did, they are "A" pattern. So there you go.

Fat consumption...like coconut oil? Usually raises our LDL. However, it also raises HDL which is awesome. Some people get off the coconut oil and test 6 months or so later to see how that changes.

By the way, kudos for the doctor getting you that NMR test. My doc cannot read one nor a VAP test. I read it and break it down myself! lol

Ratios: 300 divided into HDL: 3.79 (Anything over 4.4 is a warning)
Trigs divided into HDL: 52/97: 1.86 (You want 2 or below) This is an indicator for free insulin levels I believe.
LDL divided into HDL: 176/97: 1.81 (ideal is below 4.4)

Do your own research but these are my chicken scratch notes in my lipid file. lol

If I did the math right, you are in fab health!

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 02-16-2013 at 08:54 AM..
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #263

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by LafitteLady View Post
I have just started back this week on low carb after just over a year off. My doctor told me last week ago that she wants to put me on cholesterol medication because of these lab readings:

Total cholesterol: 283
HDL: 60
Triglycerides: 213
LDL: 180

I have been pretty sick for most of this year. I had the flu which, for some reason, sent my blood pressure through the roof. (My highest reading was 201/156.) It took 4 ER visits and a hospitalization plus a lot of medication adjustment to get it back to normal levels. Last week, she changed my medication again and my blood pressure is finally normal. I have been able to start exercising again and am feeling great.

My doctor wanted me to go for more lab work to check my liver, then she'll call in a prescription for the cholesterol medicine. I was going to do that until I saw this thread. I've started niacin (800 mg. once a day) and I started fish oil twice daily about a month ago. I expect her to be unhappy but I'm going to insist on giving it a few months before going on any medication.
By your screen name, you are female. I would read, read, read about the side effects of statins and women. Also, the thing that jumps out at me is your Trigs..they are screaming high carb. You have the power right in your hand. Supplements help so they say. I take niacin, Vit D, krill oil, magnesium. But diet is the best tool. And work up a sweat a few times a week. Walk, dance, swim,. Do something you love. Then test in 6 to 9 months.

Read up on Dr William Davis ( Wheat Belly book) and his web sites too. So much info.

You can win this!

PS: Yes, docs don't like to to be told you want to try to fix on your own but they work for you., Good for you for being here and for taking your own health into your own hands...sorry about the blood pressure. I bet once you get your diet cleaned up....your bp will improve big time.

Get a game plan on

Last edited by Stevie Renee; 02-16-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maddierose
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Jan. 2013
Hi! I received my cholesterol results from my doctor. I am looking for advice on how to raise HDL. I have recently started walking briskly 30 minutes a day. I am sure this will help and I plan on increasing my activity. Below are my numbers.
LDL 109
HDL 33
TG 62

Any advice is much appreciated.
Maddierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
You may want to do your own search about this but your chlosterol can be to low. I think some studies point to total chlosterol below ~ 180 starts to make you a little
more prone to depression, cancer and one type of stroke. And by the way with your
TG as low as it is your LDL will probably be the large fluffy type that are not realy bad.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
I hope people still read this thread...I am looking for advice.

Ok little history. Last year I started doing JUDDD and went from 207 to 159lbs felt great looked great. Then beginning of the year all heck broke lose with my body. I gained 25lbs almost over night (despite exercise and diet), grew some peach fuzz on my face, night sweats, TOM irregular, etc etc....I honestly thought my thyroid blew up. Nope not the case. I am instead in premature menopause at 38! My gynie I think had a clue by symptoms and ran a few tests lipids included. Well they were normal not to long ago and have now gone nuts. She sent me to my GP for further care for lipids.

My blood pressure is very high now where it was within normal range before (last year). In his office it was 161/98. He prescribed Losartan 50mg. Which I did happily take. I run daily, that hasnt changed but despite exercise my BP is getting higher and higher and making me nervous. I told him I was scared I would induce a heart attack or stroke by how high my BP has been getting. At home my BP runs around 150/90. Havent taken it since the losartan, but only have taken a few days so sure its not working yet.

So another affect of premature menopause is the lipids go up, due to lack of estrogen. My blood draw was:

Cholesterol 264 (High)
HDL 34 (low)
LDL 183 (High)
VLDL 47 (High)
Trig 234 (High)
Glucose 97 (normal/higher range)

Right away he started writing out script for lipitor. I have it but didnt fill it. I did fill the losartan 50mg though. I would prefer to go natural and not depend on a statin. Like I said I am only 38 and I plan to live til atleast 80 and thats 40+ years on a statin?!?! So yeah, no!!!

I read this thread and have an idea of the supplements I want to look into taking, but my question is with those numbers above is it a good idea? I really dont know much when it comes to lab results, but I do know most doctors are happy to give scripts instead of natural methods.

I have to have blood re-drawn in OCT to recheck all the blood work I had orginally had taken. My gynie is watching the Fsh and Estrogen levels and now my GP wants to watch all the other levels. My Fsh was 47 and my Estrogen was 15. Which that estrogen is really really low and most likely the cause of all this from what I can tell from reading. However she doesnt want me on any HRT until next blood draw. Which is another reason I dont want to start on a statin now. I mean there is a chance once I am able to start HRT my levels go back to some what normal. I have 6 months to try on my own and hopefully see results.

I am really out of my scope here and was hoping someone can advice me and tell me honest thoughts, as I dont want to do something stupid and pay for it later, you know?

My GP said he would like me to stop JUDDD and go back to Atkins. Which I had done for years but the results and things I could eat on JUDDD kept me on it. My GP said with Atkins I will be more able to reduce my carbs and sugars where JUDDD allowed me to have it. I think I will go back to Atkins for atleast 6 months and see if there is a difference. He is worried about my blood glucose level. I was borderline high when I was pregnant and he said its a precurser for years later. And since diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and thyroid are all in my family history, I need to be even more careful since the premature menopause diagnosis. Which is why he really really was pushing Atkins back on the table for me!

Anyways the cholestrol and trig levels worry me, but I dont know enough about them to freak out. But as I said I want to make an informed decision and was hoping someone here can help. What supplements do you think is best? Or should I do the statin at my age because of those numbers?

TIA!

1st goal 163 puts me at Overweight!
2nd goal 139 puts me at Healthy weight!
3rd goal 125 puts me at Goal!

Long term, realistic goal....no medications!
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #267
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
So you said your thyroid hasn't blown up but what were the lab results, with ranges by each? TSH, Free T4, Free T3 and TPO Antibodies. Were Free T's run???

On the high BP I'm surprised you weren't put on hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) before the Losartan, or along with the Losartan (unless you take it and forgot to say so). HCTZ many times is the very first med people are put on, by itself or with another med for high BP.

A short story about HCTZ. My DH takes a few meds for high BP, since the late 90's. It took a few different tries with different meds at first to finally get the right 'combination' which happens. When the Cozaar (at the time, the Brand name for the now generic Losartan) was added, it was like magic. His doctor said he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread for a HBP meds when it came out. We had to agree. Now, a couple of years ago they stopped the HCTZ for some reason. I don't remember the reason now but it was right around the time Cozaar went off patent and they started using the generic Losartan. His BP started going up, which was weird - he'd been stable for years. We thought it was the brand vs. generic thing that sometimes happens, where the brand literally works better than the generic. So this goes along for a few months and his BP doesn't go lower where it used to be in a good range. So he has a BP check and he was asking about why it wouldn't go down. The nurse asked if he was taking HCTZ like before and he said no, they'd taken him off it 4-6 months earlier. She said to start taking it again. Well, voila - his BP came down again, just from that simple little HCTZ 25 mg. pill. Such a simple thing.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 AM   #268
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: krow134
Stats: 207 starting weight in 2012
I wasnt given a HCTZ. Just the losartan. He didnt really want to give me any of this he said but due to the premature menopause he did. He said I was in a different catagory at this point. He did tell me to buy a mild diuretic to go with it which I did. That was all that was given though.

My thyroid, I know she ran the full panel, but the only results I had listed on the paper I had to give my GP was:

TSH 1.930 (range 0.3-3.74)
T4 1.07 (range 0.76-1.46)
T3 Uptake 31 (range 31-39)

She said it was all (blood work levels on thyroid and most hormones) with in range. The FSH and Estrogen is what was concerning to her and thats where she spent most of her time talking. I have to have blood work redrawn for my GP in july and I am going to have him put the full panel thyroid back on the paperwork. Then when I go back for more blood work for my gynie in OCT I will allow her to do it again. I still think my thyroid is an issue here. I dont understand how I could just have my body give up like this almost over night.

Anyways reading the good calories bad calories book at the moment and really really leaning towards no statins. I just worry over that BP. Why if I eat healthy and exercise daily why that went up also.......
krow134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 AM   #269
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: watcher513
Another good book is The Great Cholestrol Con by Dr. Kendrick.

Early menopause is more common than people think. My mom went through it, I thought, at 37. Come to find out she was 34. I went through it in my early 40's. I'll be 64 next week. It took me 5 years to find out because everyone kept saying "you're too young" even though I'd bring up my mom. Finally, I went to a different doctor and he tested me (such a simple thing, a blood test), something no one else would do. I kept saying that there must be Something they could do, but they didn't because of my age. It's more common than we think.
watcher513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:30 AM   #270
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: rosedec21
Stats: 215/190/137
WOE: WW Points Plus
Start Date: April 1st/2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by watcher513 View Post
Another good book is The Great Cholestrol Con by Dr. Kendrick.

Early menopause is more common than people think. My mom went through it, I thought, at 37. Come to find out she was 34. I went through it in my early 40's. I'll be 64 next week. It took me 5 years to find out because everyone kept saying "you're too young" even though I'd bring up my mom. Finally, I went to a different doctor and he tested me (such a simple thing, a blood test), something no one else would do. I kept saying that there must be Something they could do, but they didn't because of my age. It's more common than we think.
When I was 37 ( 67 now ) I started getting all thick , my bra size and chest and upper arms just kept getting bigger and bigger , like I had some disease and it scared me just awful and I kept going to doctors and all they said was quite smoking and lose weight. I was losing a little weight at the time , but I think I went up 2 or 3 bra sizes in a period of 3 months. I would even cry at night because I was all thick and spongy and didn't know why. I thought I was going to end up on the national Inquirer with this rare element ? My thyroid checked out to be in the low normal , but I talked them into meds anyway .Iit stopped progressing , but I never did go back to normal? Now I have fat upper arms , where before that happened , they were nice and trim . I weighed 137 during this event, I went from 34B to 38C in less the 3 months.
But your thread reminded me of this awful time.