Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #121
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medjoub
WOE: LC/Paleo
@ Dogman -

Thank you very much for the positive feedback -- I think you're right and wish I had a better doctor. Treatment in the Czech Republic is a bit difficult. Anyway, he can't force the damn statins down my throat, now can he?

Any thoughts from anyone about the connection to hypothyroidism?

Thanks!

Ben
Medjoub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2010, 06:32 AM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Wow, Medjoub, Czech Republic? Greetings! The closest I've been "near" your neighborhood was Germany and Austria.
My wife also has hypothyroidism and I'm convinced that a lifetime of high carb consumption has contributed to that problem. I'm hoping that our LC lifestyle will make a positive difference. For me it's maybe almost impossible to find a different dr who's thinking has not been tainted by pharma and its influence. I'm also convinced that the vast majority of drs actually don't mind if their patients are a little sick in order to provide a steady stream of income. I've been off the cholesterol med for several months since my lipids made a dramatic improvement because of LC . My Dr. even approved the discontinuation ! Now, how's that ?
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: icandoit
Stats: 250/237/150 Female 5’ 7'
Please take a look at me and my husbands results. Thanks!

Me: gained all my weight back! Got omega 3-6-9 with flax fish and borage oil and flush free niacin yesterday
Total: 228
HDL: 44
LDL: 149
Tri: 175

Husband: on lovastatin for over a year and now on niacin since 2 days ago
Total: 150
HDL: 33
LDL: 70
Tri: 234

Last edited by icandoit; 11-03-2010 at 08:25 PM..
icandoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

OK, you asked for it...

To be honest, those numbers are pathetic, especially when you consider the meds and the supplements you're taking and to add insult to injury the weight gain...
I'm not familiar with the WOE with Stillman to elaborate but I know what worked for me. Your husband's low HDL and high trig should be a wake up call and make the both of you run to Dr. Bernstein WOE. Many public librarys carry the book, so no excuse there.
Also, Niacin and all those supplements are a total waste of money. I know, because I've done all the stuff and it didn't do a darn thing. A year on lovastatin, and that's the results? You could flush the money on meds and supplement down the toilet and get the same results as what you're getting now..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

I just got the niacin the other day so I didn't take it before. My doctor wants me on lovastatin but I'm not taking it. I never heard of Dr. Bernstein before so I will look that up. I will post my cholestrol numbers up when I was on Stillman's. I thought Niacin would work dang it lol. I think he wants to see my numbers again in Janurary. I wonder if I can get it down that fast!
Old 11-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Total: 220
HDL: 50
LDL: 157
Tri: 66
I was taking fish oil only with these results.

Off to look for Dr. Bernstein...
Old 11-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #127
Senior LCF Member

icandoit,Your last lipid profile is so much better than the previous one.
Should you need a more tangible reference for the book you need to read it's "Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution: The Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars" by Richard K. Bernstein.
And, while you're at it, get "George Stella's Livin' Low Carb: Family Recipes Stella Style" by George Stella

So, there's your homework.Test On Monday Morning !
Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM   #128
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Icandoit, those readings you just posted are perhaps better than you think. There is
some discusion somewhere here about not all LDL is bad. It seems like that when your
ratio of HDL to trig. is 2 or lower most of your LDL will be large fluffy particles which arn't
realy bad. So with a HDL of 50 and a tri. of 66 your LDL is probably the non harmful type.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #129
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
So what does one do to raise their HDL? Krill oil? Red wine?

Please don't say exercise.

Kidding. I'm gong to start an exercise plan today! Aside from that my eating plan is exemplary. I never consume sugar or white death (rice, potatoes, pasta or flour). No hydrogenated fats.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:51 AM   #130
Senior LCF Member

icandoit, E.W. 's right and I agree. Incidentally, cholesterol meds really only lower LDL and do very little else when the real problem is high trigs and low HDL.

Emerald, OK, I won't say the E word. BTW forget about that baloney about those magic potions. Ex-lax will probably get you better results.
Gym memberships are so inexpensive it's inexcusable not to have one, similar to someone not having a public library card.
For that matter you don't need a gym membership only your own body. " You Are Your Own Gym " by Mark Lauren.
Amazon.com: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight...Amazon.com: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight...

Last edited by dogman; 11-08-2010 at 05:57 AM..
Old 11-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/166/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart in November 2013
Hello all. I think my new numbers are good but I would love some confirmation!

November 2009:
Total: 215
HDL: 59.8
LDL: 136
Tri: 87

This year, same employee health fair, November 2010:
Total: 212
HD: 74.3
LDL: 116
Tri: 87

Better, right? Been low carbing since March of this year. Totally fell off the exercise wagon this summer - bad knee. But I'm ready to get back to the gym. I was really nervous about getting this lipid panel done, but I needed to know how I was doing.
SpikersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #132
Senior LCF Member

SpikersMom, whatever it's worth, I sure do like those numbers, especially your HDL and Trigs. You did that well without regular exercise in the summer? Is this without taking cholesterol meds too?
I started LC mid April 2010 and I saw dramatic results in only a few months and had another check a couple of months after that. Again there was an improvement and that's without cholesterol meds.
You know, I've read some interesting articles by Mark Sisson. In a nut shell, he believes that brief but forcible weight exercise is what matters. Sometimes we tend to think that exercise, especially aerobic is good for our health. Apparently, that may not be true...

Great to see how you've done so well...
Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #133
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dogman - nope, no cholesterol meds! I am very pleased with that HDL number too. To be honest my trigs have never been terribly high - even years ago when I weighed 20 pounds more. I'm giving all the credit to the bacon and eggs I eat every day!

But I miss the exercise and was thinking of weight training - just like you suggested. I'll have to find me a trainer so I won't hurt myself, but it's something I've been pondering for a while. I also have the Primal Blueprint book - just haven't read through it all yet!

Thanks for responding - I sure have learned a lot just reading all these posts on LCFs!
Old 11-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #134
Senior LCF Member

SpikersMom, Dang! That's what I'd call a success story. Before I began the LCing my trigs at one time hit 700+( a worlds record for me). When I had a test done back around about a year ago my trigs were 385. At my last check in August 2010, trigs were 75. My HDL before never went above 40 now at last check it was 53. The before (bad) numbers were while taking cholesterol meds the after ( good) numbers were LCing and without cholesterol meds. My dr was stunned and speechless. She took me off the meds officially even though I had decided to stop them when I began the LC lifestyle.
Back in April 2010 I started real exercising and I had a really great trainer for only a month, it really made a big difference and I achieved my personal goal. Now, I set another goal. We'll see what happens...Keep up the fantastic journey.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:50 AM   #135
Major LCF Poster!

This is embarising. I haven't been low carbing latley I have been on an eating spree
lucky to say saterday is the last holliday party I have to go to. Sunday I will go back
on induction. Now here comes something strange I can't understand. I have Cardiochek
closterol meter. During times I am bingin, eating a lot of icecream and other junk my
total chlosterol goes up some BUT my HDL goes up a lot. So this month I gained ~6 lbs
and my chlosterol went from 210 total with a HDL of 57 to 224 with a HDL of 77.
My triglicerides were just about the same ~ 97 I just don't rember the exact numbers.
This just seems strange by the way I am a type 2 diabetic and have used some insulin the past month. Again I am not proud of this benge I am on and sure am not recomending icecream to help your chlosterol I just wonder why this could have happened in my case!
Old 12-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #136
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HeatherMarsh
WOE: modified Gabriel Method
well - I prefer the approach of the Weston Price Foundation........the connection between cholesterol and heart disease is similar to that between traffic accidents and skid marks.

Cholesterol is supposed to increase as we get older - and people with overall higher cholesterol usually live for longer.

From what I have read it appears that triglycerides are connected to VLDL and C-reactive protein, all of which decrease if processed foods are removed from your dietary intakes.

Myths & Truths About Cholesterol
HeatherMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

E.W. if you need real information that's short and to the point to what's really happening with your lipids, check out this book at your public library. Men's Health TNT Diet: The Explosive New Plan to Blast Fat, Build Muscle, and Get Healthy in 12 Weeks: Jeff Volek, Adam Campbell: see page 238. Ice cream per se is not bad for your health it's the sugar it contains if it has any, NOT the fat. In fact the fat in the ice cream will affect your HDL in a positive way.
The cholesterol connection and heart disease is pure BS. Half the people who die from heart attacks have "normal" cholesterol. LDL has two components , A and B. One is said to be good while the other bad. And again, eating saturated fat results with higher levels of the better component.

Last edited by dogman; 12-03-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #138
Senior LCF Member

Hi Dogman - just getting back to this thread and seeing your response! Thanks for your feedback. And your own numbers are looking good! I've started back at my gym this week - going to get a little stamina built up before I get a trainer! I'm looking forward to it!
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Hi SpikersMom great to hear you've started back at the gym. I know it's not all that easy sticking to the gym schedule especially when the weather's is lousy like here in the North East. I don't let it stop me completely though. I've got inexpensive "tools" to help me.
A chin-up bar on my sun deck, cost next to nothing. Push-ups using just the floor or sometimes one or two balls from a yard sale. Try doing push-ups on one ball if you haven't done it before tell me how your arms feel after.
Then there are squats and on and on for the price of next to nothing.
Need some ideas? Check your public library for "You are your own gym / Mark Lauren and Joshua Clark " . It's the The bible of bodyweight exercises men and women" After reading this book, all my excuses for not exercising are bogus...

Last edited by dogman; 12-29-2010 at 11:33 AM..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #140
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
Okay peeps in the know...............can you assist me?

I'm in The Great White North (Canada) and we use different measurements.

I'm thinking that my readings could be better.

Cholesterol: 4.2mmol/L

LDL Cholesterol 2.6mmol/L

HDL Cholesterol 1.2mmol/L

Chol/HDL (Risk Ratio)3.5

Triglycerides 1.0mmol/L[/B]
I am so frustrated I could cry. I just got my blood work done again today and my numbers have gotten worse. How I don't know? I exercise, I ahve not eaten one ounce of sugar, no hydrogenated fats, no processed foods at all! I have only eaten low carb veggies and meat, not even processed meat (well except a few times I have eaten bacon).

Here are my readings this time: And the last ones are from three months ago. Scary that the readings are getting worse instead of better.
Cholesterol: 5.0
LDL 3.2
HDL 1.3
Cho/HDL 3.8
Trig 1.0

I'm at a loss of what to do..............

I have been losing a lot of weight. Could that spike my cholesterol?

Last edited by Emerald; 01-17-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #141
Senior LCF Member

OK, for now, let's try to see what really matters here...Cholesterol isn't really the end all of what's good or bad. LDL from your previous to your present reading has gone up but you could have and increase in the "A" the good component and less of the "B" the bad component. Statistically speaking about 1/2 of the people who have "normal" LDL levels have heart attacks. So what really matters is the amount of A to B component you have and not just the non-descrip LDL. Your HDL has gotten better so that's good and your Trigs haven't gone higher which is also good there. So considering these things don't drive yourself batty. From your stats you're lost a heck of alot of weight and that's to be a huge plus for your health.
You didn't mention if you were taking medication though. Sometimes, blood pressure meds can elevated blood sugars. Also, if your not monitoring your BG regularly your really missing the boat no matter how well you think your eating. This is so important, that not to check your BG is like flying a plane without a fuel gauge...
Old 01-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #142
Blabbermouth!!!

I'm on natural desiccated thyroid. That is the only medication that I take daily.

I'm assuming BG is blood glucose? I have no issues what so ever with my insulin levels. I get tested for it as well. I get a whole panel done every three months. The doctor checks everything from folic acid, vitamin levels, my thyroid panels, cholesterol, urine, etc.

I also check using my moms blood glucose tester. I have never had a high or too low reading. Even after I eat.

I have my blood pressure checked and it is always good/ getting better. But never high.

The only thing that concerns me is that my cholesterol is going up and I have no explanation as to why?
Old 01-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #143
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: lisabinil
Stats: 287/Restart 206/177/160 5'6"
WOE: Healthy Carb for Optimum Health
Start Date: 2/4/10
I am wondering if it is thyroid related due to the rapid weight loss and you had a meds change too indicating something was going on with your thyroid. Rapid weight loss of any kind slows the thyroid down and high cholesterol is a symptom for some. I would post a thread in the Thyroid Forum explaining everything, the wls, rapid weight loss, meds change and see if this could be causing the slight jump in your numbers.
lisabinil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

Emerald,Sounds like you're doing all the right things. You say your cholesterol is going up. By that do you mean LDL? If so, you really need to read some information on that subject.
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes. Ask your doctor if he's able to check for the "A" and "B" components in the LDL other than that you might be too concerned for little reason.
Also, since your mentioned your insulin levels are good have you ever had your A1C just to be sure that's ok
Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #145
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabinil View Post
I am wondering if it is thyroid related due to the rapid weight loss and you had a meds change too indicating something was going on with your thyroid. Rapid weight loss of any kind slows the thyroid down and high cholesterol is a symptom for some. I would post a thread in the Thyroid Forum explaining everything, the wls, rapid weight loss, meds change and see if this could be causing the slight jump in your numbers.

Okay I will. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
Emerald,Sounds like you're doing all the right things. You say your cholesterol is going up. By that do you mean LDL? If so, you really need to read some information on that subject.
Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science of Diet and Health by Gary Taubes. Ask your doctor if he's able to check for the "A" and "B" components in the LDL other than that you might be too concerned for little reason.
Also, since your mentioned your insulin levels are good have you ever had your A1C just to be sure that's ok
My LDL and my Cholesterol are both going up which concerns me. A and B? I need to Google along with A1C. Google is my friend.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #146
Major LCF Poster!

This is discused on another thread but LDL is not always "bad" . LDL comes in 2 particle
sizes small and large fluffy. The large fluffy kind of LDL is neither good nor bad. I believe
the rule of thumb is that if your TRI is 2 or less your HDL you probably have the large fluffy non harmful LDL. So with your outstandingly low TRI you probably have this non
harmful fluffy LDL.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #147
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
This is discused on another thread but LDL is not always "bad" . LDL comes in 2 particle
sizes small and large fluffy. The large fluffy kind of LDL is neither good nor bad. I believe
the rule of thumb is that if your TRI is 2 or less your HDL you probably have the large fluffy non harmful LDL. So with your outstandingly low TRI you probably have this non
harmful fluffy LDL.
Interesting. Can you show me where this thread is? I'm limited for time right now as I'm at work but in my quick search I can't find anything that talks about LDL having two different aspects to it.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 AM   #148
Major LCF Poster!

Here is one article.

http://www.centerforpreventivemedici..._messenger.pdf
Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

I agree with E.W.'s comment especially about the ratio of Trigs to HDL being less than 2.
I'll have to go and try to find where I found that info. In one of my previous threads I mentioned that you should read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" it covers so much information that it would be well worth reading it. Also helpful, check out Blood Sugar 101 , Jenny Ruhl's web site (not sure if I'm allowed to refer to another web site)
Old 01-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #150
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: csmith1957
Me To

Been on Atkins three months lost 33 pounds
Before HDL36 LDL 105 Triglycrdes 295

After three months on Atkins
HDL 54 LDL179 Triglycrdes 118
Been running 3 miles 4-5 times a week
said I need meds
Told me I should never do lo carb not healthy and would gain the weight back anyway. Told the Doc I was 53 but feel like I am 20 again so I must not be very unhealthy. How do you tell someone stop The Atkins because you are losing weight and feeling better than you have in years. Looking for a new doctor. At first I was upset and shocked but then realized this is what I have been reading about. She gave me a low fat diet plan, yea right add in all the sugar again told her no thanks.
csmith1957 is offline   Reply With Quote