Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luvabeach
Stats: 205/182/150
WOE: Atkins / VLC /Calorie Restriction
Start Date: June 2009
Red Yeast Rice

Whenever possible, it is my belief that we need to look to natural remedies for healing. Red Yeast Rice has some very interesting and hopeful studies...
Red Yeast Rice May Lower Cholesterol

Big Pharma does not have our best interests at heart, only their bottom line profits. I am not currently taking this, but plan on looking into purchasing some supplements (if they can be found) in the future.
Luvabeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2009, 08:39 PM   #92
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: redbear
Substitute for Drugs

Please do not use pharmaceutical drugs to lower your cholesterol! There is an alternative to try first.
GARLIC
I'm not kidding! It turns your cholesterol deposits into a watery substance so it can be flushed out of your body. Fresh is always best IMO. But if you cannot stand that taste, try capsules of Garlic OIL instead. Give it aat least 4 weeks try before you judge it.
No side effects with garlic!!!!!
redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:11 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: leeney
Stats: 142/136/129
WOE: low carb
Thanks so much for all the advice!

Red yeast rice and garlic---how much per day?
leeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #94
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sassy40
Stats: 303 at start 10/30 Down to 244
WOE: Very low carb
Start Date: Start again10/30/2012
Hello All went to dr. yesterday she said my hdl is 47 and ldl 102 I do not understand these numbers She said hdl was to low what can i do to get it up?
I do take 80 ml of lipitor a day. am on 2 blood pressure meds and also metformin

Last edited by sassy40; 08-08-2009 at 10:29 AM..
sassy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #95
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
If one's triglycerides are high, but the rest is fairly average, what does this mean? I am about 20-30 lbs overweight with highish body fat.

tia!
UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #96
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MACXXX
WOE: Atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomcontent View Post
If one's triglycerides are high, but the rest is fairly average, what does this mean? I am about 20-30 lbs overweight with highish body fat.

tia!
Usually means you eat too many carbs. Also, could mean you are losing weight and need to wait until your weight stabilizes before you can get an accurate reading. Fish oil can help with high triglycerides.
MACXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #97
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: UpErMei
Stats: 158/165/128
Thank you.

I lc on average about 70% of the time (4-5 days on, cheat for 2-3, then back on again, etc) but I guess it's not enough. I need to take lc seriously for my health.
UpErMei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #98
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: RyanS
Stats: 130/105/105
WOE: Modified Paleo (LC dairy subbed for fruit)
Start Date: December 2008
I need help.

My blood tests came back recently... my total cholesterol is at 299, up from the 190s last October! I'd been LCing solidly for three weeks when it was tested - I know, that's a bad time to do it, but I didn't have a choice - I don't get prescription refills if not tested. My testosterone levels are naturally very low, so I have to inject it, and my doctor mandates regular cholesterol screening. I was 188 (cholesterol, not weight - I weighed 113) in March '08 when I began meds, 191 at the end of last year, and now BANG. No change to my dosage so I can't blame that, though interestingly my blood testosterone levels came back too high this time, as opposed to normal previously, and not only is my med dose the same, but my weight is nearly the same as last March.

My HDL is low, my LDL was very high, and my triglycerides were not tested. The doctor wants me immediately on a low-fat diet, but I know that it'll just make me gain weight quickly (or else induce me to pretty much stop eating, which will get my cholesterol around 150 total if the past is any indicator, but somehow I doubt that's going to help the situation...)

I've read that levels that high basically put me at immediate risk of heart problems. I'm not sure about that, but it doesn't sound good. I'm only 29, BMI a hair under 20, and about 14-15% body fat. So I'm hoping my age, weight, and fat levels will swing the odds a little in my favor. I've been following the diet with pretty much religious precision other than not raising carbs beyond 25g/day once I found that 30 felt bad.

Will taking supplements bring it down pretty quickly, at least under 250 so the doc and nurse will relax a bit? If not, will replacing some of the animal fats with plant fats help? Or is this all pretty normal for 3 weeks in after a 12-pound loss?

I'm confused, and a little worried.

Last edited by RyanS; 09-15-2009 at 03:59 PM..
RyanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:48 AM   #99
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
Got my blood results back today too

Total chol - 330 (Dr. says is really bad)
Triglycerides -- 61
HDL -- 111
LDL -- 207 (Dr. says is really bad)

My sugar, liver, thyroid, Vitamin D, white blood count, sodium - ALL NORMAL

My ratios:
1. Total cholesterol divided by HDL should be below 4 (mine is 2.97)
and,

2. LDL divided by HDL should be below 3 (mine is 1.86)

She wanted to put me on a cholesterol lowering statin immediately - I told them I would not do it. (this is the 2nd or 3rd time I've refused) I think using some flush free Niacin, odorless garlic and more exercise will help enormously. I had taken a big break from Atkins and was eating whatever I wanted within reason except for about the past month when I have gotten back with it.

What do you guys think - does it look really bad like the Dr. says??
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #100
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: l_s_bear
Stats: 225/178/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: November 2008
Hello -- I need some insight.

I have been lowcarbing for almost a year and have lost almost 50lbs. I have also been working out three times a week for the last six months. Two years ago my cholesterol was 250. Now I am in better shape, less weight and these are my results....

Cholesterol 294
Trigycerides 183
HDL 68
vLDL 36.6
CALC LDL 189.4
CHOL/HDL 4.3

I just stared doing CLA/GLA combo but it looks like I will need to now add garlic oil.

If anyone has any suggestions feel free to share. I would appreciate your insight.

Thank you
Loo
l_s_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:58 PM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Dom77mu -- Thank you for your insight.

Right now I am not eatting any fruit. I will read #3 & #4 for more info.

When I have a sweet tooth I eat lc pancakes with no carb syrup and lc pumpkin pie & pumpkin cheese cake. I also eat a lot of almonds. No rice, sugar, or starchy foods.

I will need to look at those items I eat a lot and figure it out. I do think it is very strange. I need to educate myself because I doing something REALLY wrong!

Loo
Old 10-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #102
Junior LCF Member

Dom77mu -- Right now I am doing Curves for a workout but yes, I do need to mix it up a bit. I think I will find some in home activities since winter is around the corner. Of course in time I will be shoveling snow

I started with coconut oil on Saturday. Truly that is a taste to master.....I think next time I may buy that in pill form. Hmmmm.....you know, I am sure fish would taste good being fried in that....hmmmm.....I am not the best cook so I will need be start being creative. There may be some items I could figure out so I am not just taking it straight

Again, thank you for your insight. I honestly have not felt this good in the last three years. I become even more excited when I think I am educating myself finally at 40 years old to finally take care of my body!!

Take Care!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #103
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/8/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I am trying the krill oil capsules (Megared). However, they make me nauseous for hours. Any suggestions?
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 AM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
A couple of years ago I was eating a lot of chocolate and other junk. My chlosterol was
around 200 (from 210 to 185 depending if I took lipitor or not) but my HDL was a wopping 87! I stoped eating all that chocolate and other junk and it seems like my
HDL took a nose dive down to ~55. I hapened upon one little article about cocoa butter
may inprove insulin sensitivity and raise HDL oh! there are a lot of studies about dark
chocolate having this effect and pointing to the antioxitents but there may be something
in the cocoa butter that helps too. So I have started making my own low carb chocolate
using cocoa butter, cocoa powder and splindia. I know lots of us do this with coconut
oil but the cocoa butter may be better for us after all. Two weeks after starting this my
HDL looks like it is 8mg higher maby the homemaid chocolate is helping ?
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #105
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Whole Foods. No Sugar
I posted back in 2007.

Please review my numbers now and tell me what you all think. Thanks.

LDL: 191
HDL: 57
Tri: 92
Total=266
Ratio: 4.6%

LDL: 170
HDL: 75
Tri: ?
Total=259
Ratio: 3.45
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:34 AM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: organic_donna
Take a C-reactive protein test. It checks for inflamation.
organic_donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #107
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Beezer Louisiana
Stats: 192.2/160/160 (5'6")
WOE: Very low carb, no frankenfoods. NK
Start Date: June 21, 2010
I just got back from the dr. She wanted to put me on statins. I said no. She's giving me four more months to lower my numbers. (My blood pressure is fine, 114/66.)

Total Cholesterol 248 HIGH (0 - 199)
Triglycerides 63 (0 - 149)
HDL 60 (40-59)
LDL Calculcated 175 HIGH (30-99)

You think the flush-free niacin and garlic capsules will help? I already take flax oil and cod liver oil.

Any other advice?
Beezer Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #108
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dogman
Stats: Weight 196-166.4 ; Body Fat % 21.3 - 13.9
WOE: Dr Richard K Bernstein. Latest A1C 5.2
Start Date: April 2010
Think twice mabe even three times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer Louisiana View Post
I just got back from the dr. She wanted to put me on statins. I said no. She's giving me four more months to lower my numbers. (My blood pressure is fine, 114/66.)

Total Cholesterol 248 HIGH (0 - 199)
Triglycerides 63 (0 - 149)
HDL 60 (40-59)
LDL Calculcated 175 HIGH (30-99)

You think the flush-free niacin and garlic capsules will help? I already take flax oil and cod liver oil.

Any other advice?
IMO your Trig/HDL ratio is what really matters. You can research for your self but findings indicate a ratio of 2 or less and you're in good standing. So, for you, your ratio is 1.05 which is way better than the favorable limits prescribed.
dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #109
Senior LCF Member

Go out and have a low carb beer and celebrate !!!
Old 10-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #110
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogman View Post
IMO your Trig/HDL ratio is what really matters. You can research for your self but findings indicate a ratio of 2 or less and you're in good standing. So, for you, your ratio is 1.05 which is way better than the favorable limits prescribed.
Oh, I didn't have that ratio on my list. I already had:

1. Total cholesterol divided by HDL should be below 4.

2. LDL divided by HDL should be below 3.

I will add:

Triglicerides divided by HDL should be below 2.

Thanks!
Old 10-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, I am back from the store.

I have Flush-Free Niacin and Odorless Garlic.

I already take Cod Liver Oil capsules.

I will probably also add some psyllium seed fiber pills.

I'll let you know in four months if my numbers have gone down.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

I've been there and done all the stuff you're doing. It didn't do a darn thing for me...
The only thing that worked is carb restriction, period.
After taking niacin i.e. Niaspan for several months and eating a "healthy " carb diet I happen to get something called thrombocytopenia , that's the short name for low blood platelets. Now, after going LC since April everything's falling into place in the right direction.When I checked into the relationship it appears niacin might be implicated.

Reports I've reading say that vitamins are essentially unregulated and some are made in sleazy China.
A word to the wise...eat foods with the nutrients you need and ditch the vitamins.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #113
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
I've been there and done all the stuff you're doing. It didn't do a darn thing for me...
The only thing that worked is carb restriction, period.
After taking niacin i.e. Niaspan for several months and eating a "healthy " carb diet I happen to get something called thrombocytopenia , that's the short name for low blood platelets. Now, after going LC since April everything's falling into place in the right direction.When I checked into the relationship it appears niacin might be implicated.

Reports I've reading say that vitamins are essentially unregulated and some are made in sleazy China.
A word to the wise...eat foods with the nutrients you need and ditch the vitamins.
I'm eating clean (no processed foods and no 'convenience' low carb treats.) I'm at about 30 grams of carbs a day from dairy/vegetables. I think my thyroid has played a role also, as it has JUST gotten under control after three years of feeling bad. I've just started losing weight on LC. I lost 8 lbs on the first week of induction and then NOTHING since June. I recently had my thyroid medication adjusted and in the last three weeks I've lost 5 lbs.

So I'm just going to keep on keeping on and see what happens. (But I do feel the need to try the niacin, garlic, fish oil and fiber. I gotta' give it all I've got.)

Thanks!

"The hardest part about a zombie apocalypse will be pretending that I'm not excited."

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 10-21-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Beezer,About a year ago I was reading a book "Cholesterol Control Without Diet!" by William B. Parsons Jr
I thought at the time I had found the secret weapon to my long standing problem of high triglycerides and low HDL, NIACIN.

Imagined my dismay when I went to the doctor's office only to be told that things were worse! My trigs were 385 and I thought I was doing all the right things, like you are.
I can't blame you for trying something in the hopes of being healthy.
I'd be willing to bet that a lifetime of high carb consumption would "gum-up" a lot of things including thyroids. My wife also has hypothyroid problems... her weight is finally coming off due to LC lifestyle.
I noticed you're a vegetarian? I hope you're not doing it for health reasons but for ethical reasons.Vegetarians have no advantage over barbarian meat eaters like me.
Hope you have success.

Last edited by dogman; 10-21-2010 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: ed
Old 10-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #115
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Beezer,About a year ago I was reading a book "Cholesterol Control Without Diet!" by William B. Parsons Jr
I thought at the time I had found the secret weapon to my long standing problem of high triglycerides and low HDL, NIACIN.

Imagined my dismay when I went to the doctor's office only to be told that things were worse! My trigs were 385 and I thought I was doing all the right things, like you are.
I can't blame you for trying something in the hopes of being healthy.
I'd be willing to bet that a lifetime of high carb consumption would "gum-up" a lot of things including thyroids. My wife also has hypothyroid problems... her weight is finally coming off due to LC lifestyle.
I noticed you're a vegetarian? I hope you're not doing it for health reasons but for ethical reasons.Vegetarians have no advantage over barbarian meat eaters like me.
Hope you have success.
No, not a vegetarian anymore. I became a meat-eating low carber in June of this year. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear that I've been eating a clean low carb diet since June of this year.

I'm eating a clean low carb diet that includes unprocessed meat, eggs, dairy, a few low-carb vegetables and salads and occasionally an unsweetened frozen strawberry or blueberry. I prepare everything I eat.

So I expect my HDL to perhaps go up even a little more. My triglicerides were 63.

Thanks.

Last edited by Beezer Louisiana; 10-21-2010 at 10:28 AM..
Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #116
Senior LCF Member

Beezer,I'm on board with you there as to the foods you're eating.Sounds very similar to what I eat. And it's pretty obvious you lost a good amount of weight which can only affect you favorably. I was at about 194 pounds when I started LC, now, I'm 172. So with all that going for us I'd be willing to bet that the next trig/HDL check-up will be even better.

Before LC I was trying the whole arsenal of cholesterol meds and the numerous natural supplements unfortunately, it never made helped my trigs/HDL. I knew at the time I had metabolic syndrome(and not that my doctor told me) but couldn't figure what to do until LC. Now, my ratio is 75/53 at last check and those levels were getting more favorable since the the previous check.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #117
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Emerald
Stats: Nothing to see here folks....move along.
Okay peeps in the know...............can you assist me?

I'm in The Great White North (Canada) and we use different measurements.

I'm thinking that my readings could be better.

Cholesterol: 4.2mmol/L

LDL Cholesterol 2.6mmol/L

HDL Cholesterol 1.2mmol/L

Chol/HDL (Risk Ratio)3.5

Triglycerides 1.0mmol/L
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 AM   #118
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Medjoub
WOE: LC/Paleo
Hello all -

Apologies for this being a repost, I didn't realize there is a specific section for cholesterol woes.

Pam suggested I run my cholesterol and thyroid numbers by this board and see if there were any general suggestions.

Thyroid: (ranges in parentheses)

TSH - 5,03 (.27 - 4.2)
FT4 - 15,7 (12 - 22)
FT3 - 3,7 (3.1 - 6.8)
T4 - 96,1 (66 - 181)
T3 - 1,3 (1.2 - 3.1)

Cholesterol (the values are in mmol/l - I'll put the conversions beside the originals, but I don't know how accurate they are --)

TC - 16,10 (2.9 - 5) TC - 628
Triglycerides - .7 (.45 - 1.7) Trigs - 62
HDL - 2.8 (1 -2.1) HDL - 109
LDL - 12.51 (1.2 - 3) LDL - 488 (!!!)

The doctors, of course, seeing those numbers want me immediately on statins -- I've refused, so far. I am 28 years old and I don't have a family history of hypercholesterolemia, no heart disease, no heart attacks/MI, no stroke. I don't smoke, drink very infrequently and have 8% body fat (I've never been overweight). My fasting glucose tests are great and I've never shown signs of diabetes or glucose problems.

I understand there's likely a connection between thyroid and cholesterol, but I don't know to what extent. I'm not concerned about my risk of heart attack (I'm on a gluten-free, low carb diet -- plus the other factors I listed above) but the test results do give me pause. Just to be clear, the tests were repeated and resulted in the same levels twice.

Everything I know about statins from my readings in LC blogs and books indicate that they are useless and/or dangerous. BUT, I don't want to be a blockhead about all of this --

Thanks for any insight.
Medjoub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #119
Senior LCF Member

Body fat percent only 8%???
Triglycerides only 62 ? How low could you doctor expect?
HDL 109 !!! What more could your doctor want?
And your doctor wants you on statins?
LDL is said to have two components A and B. In a word, the amount of each is what probably matters the most not the total.

Might be time to fire your doctor...

The site below is excellent
Diabetes Update: Yet Another Drug Study Shows Lowering LDL Does Not Affect Clogging of Arteries
Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Just to be clear, about your HDL, we'll say for the sake of argument is OK but that's about it.
If it were 60 milligram per deciliter or higher that would be considered very good.

Almost 5K posts for you? OMG...

Get out and go pump some iron and get the HDL up...