Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2006, 04:45 AM   #31
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: JONAH'S GRANNY
Stats: Way too much/115 lbs.
WOE: Low Calorie
Start Date: 01/03/2008/Originally 2003
Just got my results on my cholesterol. Doctor says my numbers are "beautiful" with a ratio of less than 2.

Last edited by JONAH'S GRANNY; 03-04-2006 at 04:47 AM..
JONAH'S GRANNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
I just received cholesterol test results and it looks to me like I need some help.

Cholesterol 268 <200 *** Problem here
HDL 62 >39 OK
LDL 201 <130 *** Problem here
VLDL (very LDL) 23 <30 OK
Chol/HDL Ratio 4.6 <5.0 OK
LDL/HDL Ratio 3.24 <3.25 OK
Triglycerides 115 <150 OK

So cholesterol and LDL are high, but the ratios are OK. Do I need to worry about cholesterol and LDL? I'm already exercising and taking fish oil and garlic. Should I add flush free Niacin?
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: maysfan
Stats: 162/152/140
WOE: Modified LfL
Start Date: Restart 1/1/2007
LDL and Total Cholesterol

Here's my story:

I'm 51, been taking Levoxal for thyroid for about 4 years. I need to lose about 20-25 pounds. I was a long distance runner until about 3 years ago when my knees said no more. For the past 6 months or so I havent' done much cardio, although I do yoga twice a week.

Just got the results back from my annual exam. Total cholesterol was 288 (not good), HLD was 75 (good), LDL was 189 (bad), Trigycerides were 229 (also not good).

I eat a fairly low cholesterol diet for a low carb woe. Very little red meat (maybe 2x month), no pork, skinless chicken, occasional fish (mostly tuna), no eggs, low fat cheese, low fat milk, not a lot of fried foods.

My MD wants me to go on a prescription med for the cholesterol, but I've read quite a bit about the side effects. Besides adding more cardio exercise and finally losing these 20 pounds, are they any other suggestions?

thanks in advance.
maysfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: edelweiss
Stats: 135/128/120
WOE: Basic Low Carb everything
Start Date: approx. 1999
After a long stint on LC woe, my ldl went sky high also. My doctor has worked with me over the past year and recommended several supplements that have helped. I take policosinol, red yeast rice, omega III's. I have altered my woe quite a bit - adding more complex carbs (oatmeal for breakfast - daily.) My ldl went from 176 to 110 without going on meds. The other numbers all improved, too.

I workout several days a week but I should do more. My weight has held - yet I really eat a variety of foods that aren't typically LC anymore. More vegetables, fruit and complex carbs (oatmeal - every day.) Very little red meat and low-fat dairy.

I share you feeling about prescription meds - so I am happy with my results. I am due for my 3-month check but feel that I've learned how to keep my numbers in line.
edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 AM   #35
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Location: MANHATTAN NYC - click on ''MAMZELLE" directly below for more photos.
Gallery: MAMZELLE
Stats: LIFETIME MANTENANCE
WOE: ATKINS "ORIGINAL" DIET - why tamper with success!!
Start Date: as Patient when the Maestro's FIRST book came out
DISGUSTED.... first blood tests done after a lifetime on and off Atkins, but last 2 years strict induction, since knowing diabetic and surprised Cholesterol so high.... can anyone analyze. I just copied exactly from test results paper sent to me. I don't know how to eat any other way than Atkins, and can't cut fats, but thought we're not supposed to HAVE to on low carb and NO sugar at all. HOW bad is this in your opinion? I'm NOT good at math or calculating, and this is all GREEK to me and have a doctor that I cannot talk to beyond her 5 general words about it, which I don't want to write here YET [looking for another one with my 'plan' but hard to find]. I've only read page 1 of this thread so far, not this one above, yet. How many days do you think I have to live lol......>

chol..... 247

trig.....174

hdl chol., direct.....49

hdl as % of chol....20

chol/hdl ratio.......5.04

ldl/hdl ratio.......3.35

ldl chol...... 164

Like 'maysfan' above, [I've read this page too, now] I ALSO won't go on meds, and am not even on sugar lowering meds, just diet. I USED TO eat only 2 spoonfuls of whole oatmeal [not the instant but I just nuked them in water a couple minutes and love them crunchy] but stopped that immediately over two years ago and was upset that I had to stop, and of course afraid to do it again.... it will make my sugar soar even though I don't eat other carbs aside from veg and salad. I haven't even tried it again, but it's supposed to lower chol, but i'm afraid. I don't even know if that lowered my cholesteral all my life, because I wasn't tested and only have results NOW, two years after I stopped the oatmeal and am on Atkins induction for the last 2 years, and 'ALMOST' induction in the last 6 months but back to rock bottom now again. Even when I added a little extra, it was mostly of the legal foods, it was even MUCH lower than maintenence level, and only a HAIR above ''induction''. So I'm really disappointed in Atkins, although I did cheat when going out to dinner in the last 6 months only.... but even so, why should it skyrocket from ONLY that, because it was so seldom, only 5 times, far apart because my thyroid problems are indicating WHY I feel too lousy to EVEN go out much.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-10-2006 at 09:49 AM..
MAMZELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #36
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Dec.1997
When you say "strict induction" what exactly are you eating? Give us a sample, daily menu.
Your triglycerides should NOT be that high if you are eating only natural proteins and dark green vegetables.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #37
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

that's exactly what *I* said. SHOULDN'T be that high. Strict induction means exactly that... strict induction, self-explanitory. And I'm on this WOE since the 70's so know what's right and wrong to eat and was a patient of atkins with my diabetic mother, that's why I went and even she kept an Atkins' kitchen before his book ever came out when I was growing up, and before anyone even heard of him, which is why she dragged me with her to him way back then when it did. I asked for an analysis of my NUMBERS.... not foods. I'm only a novice at cholesterol readings not of Atkins' diet, and am always instructing everyone ELSE and correcting THEM on what to eat for decades.... friends, family, former co-workers and on these boards, pointing out THEIR mistakes for over 2 years too. lol So what I'm seeking is an evaluation and opinion of only my numbers, which is what is new to me.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-10-2006 at 12:45 PM..
Old 04-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #38

Sorry, There is no need to get huffy.

I started doing Atkins in the 70's too, but went off after my first loss. I started it again over 9 years ago, and haven't stopped doing it since then, so I know a great deal about the plan and do it properly also..

All I said was that it was highly unusual for Triglycerides to be that high if the plan is followed properly and your ratios are far too high also..

My HDL is 140 and triglycerides are 54. Not that I think it matters. I'm one of the growing number of Cholesterol skeptics. Most people who have heart attacks have normal or low cholesterol levels.

Have you had a complete thyroid panel done? Thyroid disease can cause cholesterol to sky rocket.

Anyway, maybe someone else will see this and give you their opinion.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:45 PM   #39
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

My thyroid story is all over the thyroid boards. Too long to write here again.... but I'll say like most, i can't get the FT3 two doctors have already refused to order it [even the Endo who swore up and down that he would as he was ordering the TPO, FT4 and whatever else I pleaded for that most doctors won't do.. then he didn't, to my shock after I even TOLD him that's the main thing I'm HERE for. My TPO is 574 and he didn't even MENTION that on the phone and said EVERYTHING is NORMAL as they all do when TSH and FT4 are.. so that's what I've been dealing with and having to change doctors to even GET a FT3, I had to notice my TPO when it came in the MAIL! As I said, the whole story is on THOSE other boards.

PS.... My first doctor told me my numbers are high but not VERY high, and a very knowledgable friend here told me in ongoing private emails that my ratios 'aren't' bad, which counts the most...and yes, I'm hearing all over that cholesterol isn't the real culprit for heart attacks.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-10-2006 at 04:50 PM..
Old 04-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #40

Welcome to the wonderful world of Hashimoto's thyroditis. I was diagnosed in December and have gone through a couple of Endocrinologists but finally found a great one at Upstate Medical Center in Syracuse,NY. It's a PITA to doctor shop but worth it in the long run.

My TPO antibodies are not quite as high as yours, but these doctors at the Joslin Diabetes and Endocrinology center will treat if symptoms warrant it.

Sorry your doctors won't order those tests. I asked my family doctor to order everything I thought I needed and , bless his heart, he did. I think you need to shop for another one. After all, we HIRE them to take care of our health care needs, much like we hire an electrician to take care of our electrical problems.

Here are some links you might find informative.
http://www.forbes.com/archive/forbes...MTIgKzAwMDA%3D

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

http://www.americanheart.org/present...dentifier=4648

http://www.medicalconsumers.org/page..._skeptics.html

I have many more but am in the middle of packing. We leave for a few days first thing in the morning.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #41
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

I was told by several people who have it that it's not 'absolute' without the FT3 and I only MAY have it, including also my fiancee's daugher in law [3000 miles away who studied all 5 pages of blood tests so far, urine, chest exrays [clear as a bell]] who is a doctor and other professionals who are on my side but don't take my 'plan' [and about to send everything to my uncle in AZ. who is a surgeon, for his opinion....so I'm very restrictd. If I wanted to spend $1000's out of my own pocket, I'd make a B-line to Bernstein for his 3 day first visit. Many have TPO in the 1000's so it could be worse. I gave the Endo a whole LIST of the tests I wanted including FT3, c-peptide, whole iron panel including Ferritin, estrogen, progesterone, testerone, and went over each one, and WHY, and more and he doesn't trust T3 he said that it's not accurate and won't do it after I was surprised and called confronting him very upset after he PROMISED and embarrassed him which he DESERVED, and refused to do it even if I went BACK... nor did he do the others, and only all the other t3 and t4 versions except the "FREE" T3. I have already called 20 or 30 doctors to ask if they ARE on my plan, and also those I've gathered that I know ARE on it, and if they would do the tests I want or I'm not coming, and have been doing nothing else. I don't drive, [my car being stored at my fiancee's home in Ca., and living in Manhattan all my adult life and not needing one] nor do I take public transportation so it's very complicated and I can't get around.

I even called my mother's former doctor as a last resort and who IS on my particular plan, to hold in the wings just in case, and who kept my mother alive with diabetes ALL her life....or all MY life with NO complications, then breast cancer and alzheimers the last 5, 6 years during which *I* kept her alive for the last two till age 83, a normal expectancy.. But even HE said if TSH and FT4 are normal, then my problem isn't thyroid so he's also of that school, but I haven't yet ASKED him if he would specifically promise to take the rest of the tests I want..... but will MAKE sure he does if I have to resort to him. He didn't adjust my mother's insulin and is of THAT school, when she was going too high, and that alone turned me against him but then he finally did, after I made such a stink with her visiting nurses backing me up, and then she was doing fine again BECAUSE of it! So he's tough too. They're all idiots and it's a crap shoot. I'm at my wits end all around.

Last edited by MAMZELLE; 04-10-2006 at 08:03 PM..
Old 05-11-2006, 11:28 AM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Pcola Girl
Stats: Start-325 Today-225 Goal 160
Start Date: Sarted Nov. 2000---Restarted New January 2008
I was having a vitamin deficiency and my bad cholestrol was up to so I was put on medication for it. My uric acid was also up and was put on medication for that to.
Now I am eating some fresh fruit, more fiber and whole wheat products. I am not eating fat at all, I cut it off all meats, reduced my red meat intake and eat more fish and chicken.
Don't know if it was due to low carb or not because I have been on it since yr. 2000 and lost over 100 lbs. and I never had any problems with it before until now.
I think its just my age getting to me thats all.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:16 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dori30
Stats: who cares? I am a runner!
WOE: Healthy Whole Foods
Start Date: February 2004
I hope people are still reading this board. I come for guidance!

I had a fasting lipid profile done at the school where I work (travelling hospital crew came and we lined up like cattle to have our blood drawn). I fasted for exactly 11.5 hours prior to the blood being drawn and I did have a bowl of low-carb ice cream the night before (at 8pm and blood was drawn at 7:30am). I also ran 6 miles that morning before the blood being drawn.

The basics of me:

I have not eaten one OUNCE of potato/flour (of any kind)/rice/sugar/starch since Feb. 04. I am 37 and run 5 days a week (between 20-35 miles per week and I have done this for the last 15 years) and do weight training 2-3 days a week. I do not have a stressful life/job, though I am a type A personality all the way. I have not eaten red meat of any kind in over 15 years.

My diet is basically lots of eggs/avocado/meats (ground turkey/pork/fish) green veggies and just recently, berries and nuts. I also eat plenty of full-fat dairy (yogurt almost every day). I do have heavy cream whipped on top of a home-made egg custard almost nightly. I basically eat whole foods and do not ingest splenda on a regular basis. The low carb ice cream was a rare treat. OK, here are my results

Total Cholesterol = 441 (can this be??)
HDL = 95
LDL = 338
Triglycerides= 42

I am so freaked out right now. I thought I was pretty healthy! Is there any way that this is just an incorrect reading or should I buy funeral insurance today?

ANY help is much appreciated.

dori
dori30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #44
MAJOR LCF POSTER!

Didn't you ask your doctor about this when getting the results? I'm no expert on cholesterol, wish I could help you [I'm always on Atkins but my chol is a little high too on my first blood test, but relieved not higher]...... but what did your doctor say. Seems you haven't spoken to 'anyone' there about your results?
Old 06-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dori30
Stats: who cares? I am a runner!
WOE: Healthy Whole Foods
Start Date: February 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMZELLE
Didn't you ask your doctor about this when getting the results? I'm no expert on cholesterol, wish I could help you [I'm always on Atkins but my chol is a little high too on my first blood test, but relieved not higher]...... but what did your doctor say. Seems you haven't spoken to 'anyone' there about your results?

Thank you for your response.

I had the blood test out of curiosity, not because it was ordered by my doc. They held a "health clinic" where I work and we lined up and had our blood drawn by lab techs. There were not docs present. The results were mailed to us and I received it tonight (Friday) after my doc has gone home. This is why I started here...... (I will of course, be calling my doc on Monday).

dori
dori30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:58 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rrosser
My doctor has been trying to put me on a statin, but I flat out refuse. These are dangerous drugs and they have never saved anyones life!

The public has just accepted that cholesterol is bad for you. The best thing to do is educate yourself about statins and prepare to battle with your doctor over them.

I have read everything I can about cholesterol and statins. The best book out here now is 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Anthony Colpo. It's definitely worth buying IMHO.
rrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: livin' thin
WOE: Schwarzbein Principle nutritional plan
Want to lower your bad cholesterol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkwood Sharon View Post
Thanks for all this information. I'm sure that there are others out there too that didn't know how to calculate ratios and what to use to lower LDL's. I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK TO MY QUESTION. I will try the niacin, flaxseed and garlic. Yes, I am a woman.

BTW last night I told the guy that said I couldn't lose weight at my age about the readings. His comments "but you're eating fat - why would your numbers be good?" He kept focusing on the 276 "but you're at 276". I kept saying it's the ratio not the total number. My husband was in the background laughing as I explained it over and over to him. He is a College Professor who just didn't get it.
Also, eat to keep your blood sugar steady. High blood sugar leads to high cholesterol (and other health problems) because in that state, your body will make cholesterol from anything you eat, including carbs. So, keep it steady and watch it drop. I use an extended release chromium (5oo mg) For more information on the relationship between blood sugar and cholesterol production, read The Schwarzbein Principle. Thanks to all for the tips on no-flush niacin, flaxseed and garlic. I also heard that some supplement called red rice yeast (?) can lower cholesterol. A friend and her husband used it and got really good results on the cholesterol reduction. Is anyone else familiar with that? I think that's what it's called. She got it at the health food store.
livin' thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 07:39 PM   #48

Quote:
The best book out here now is 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Anthony Colpo.
That is one of the best books I've read on the subject. The cholesterol myth is a huge con and only making the drug companies rich.

Psst....buy stock in those Statin drug producing companies.. They are a hell of a money maker.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:04 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

thanks

I believe it! The pharma companies can't make money from natural healing and using sound nutrition to heal the body.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:10 PM   #50
Junior LCF Member

Say hello to fat again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryT60 View Post
I was having a vitamin deficiency and my bad cholestrol was up to so I was put on medication for it. My uric acid was also up and was put on medication for that to.
Now I am eating some fresh fruit, more fiber and whole wheat products. I am not eating fat at all, I cut it off all meats, reduced my red meat intake and eat more fish and chicken.
Don't know if it was due to low carb or not because I have been on it since yr. 2000 and lost over 100 lbs. and I never had any problems with it before until now.
I think its just my age getting to me thats all.
Yikes! Cutting out fat is unhealthy. Your body uses fat to regenerate nerve endings, repair tissue and make hormones. If you are on a low-fat diet, it's just a matter of time until you "pay the piper". Have you read The Schwarzbein Principle? She explains why you don't get high cholesterol from fat. Instead, you get it from high blood sugar and carbs/sugar. I'm just concerned about you, that's all. Would you consider browsing that book and consider the info? Wishing you the best of health!
Old 04-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #51
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Caveman
If you want to lower your cholesterol naturally (i.e. without taking drugs) then you'll want to take a water soluble fiber. Water soluble fibers (WSF) have the capability of lowering cholesterol (specifically LDLs) when added to the diet. In fact, WSF is as effective or more effective than statins in lowering cholesterol! And the medical college at the University of Florida has clinically proven that WSF not only reduces cholesterol, it also reverses artheriosclerosis, reduces CRPs, and in many cases, reduces blood pressure.

So, how does WSF reduce cholesterol? Well first of all, cholesterol is one of the components of bile, and bile produced by the liver. Bile is then stored in the gall bladder and then relased into the small instestine when we eat food.

Why do our bodies produce bile?
Because bile allows our intestines to absorb dietary fat.

What happens to the bile after it helps process the dietary fat?
The bile (and the cholesterol) get recycled through a biological process known as enterohepatic circulation. Enterohepatic circulation refers to the circulation of bile from the liver, where it is produced, to the small intestine, where it aids in digestion of fats and other substances, and then back to the liver.

Now, when you eat WSFs (such as ProFibe, glucomannan, guar gum, fruit pectin, or psyllium), the WSFs absorb the bile/cholesterol and prevent it from being recycled back to the liver. Instead, the cholesterol is eliminated and this lowers your cholesterol.

For my WSF, I prefer ProFibe which is the guar gum/pectin mix developed by the medical school at the University of Florida.

OK, so eating WSF is not a lot of fun. However, it's quite palatable if you mix small amounts in coffee, cola, fruit juice, etc. Since I walk around with a cup of java all day anyway, it's a trivial matter for me to add a level teaspoon of fiber to my 16-oz cup. I have also blended it into eggs for a great omelette and mixed it up to make a pancake batter.

At one time my TCH was 330 and my doctor wanted me to take statins. I decided to take ProFibe instead, although any WSF would have helped.

My TCH is 165 with my HDL hovering around 65 and I have been taking WSF for the past ten years after reading Miracle Cures by Jean Carper.

ProFibe is sold by netrition.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peony
Stats: Down 26
Start Date: March 2007
I had my cholesterol checked about 5 months ago and it was:
Total Cholesterol - 231
HDL - 53
LDL - 161
Triglycerides - 83

My doctor suggested Red Yeast Rice and CoQ10 to bring it down. I also started back on Atkins because that always worked in the past for me.

Now, this week, he had it tested again, but he only tested for LDL and it is now 165. I am wondering why he didn't do the entire profile if it is the ratios that really count.

He is now suggesting that I add phytosterols. I've looked at them online and they are VERY expensive. But here I read that flush free niacin works and is only $4 a bottle at Walmart. Do you think that I could just get the niacin and forget what he suggested? From what I've read on this thread, my numbers weren't all that high to start with so maybe the ratio is improved, but I'll never know because he didn't check for them.

What do you who know about these things think? Niacin or phytosterols?
Peony
Peony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Snowangel81598
Stats: 205/153/145
Start Date: Jan. 2003, Restarted (after 2 babies) Oct. 2006
For those of you cholesterol experts, can you help me here? I just got my results, but haven't talked to the doc about it yet. Here are my numbers:

Component - Your Value - Standard - Range Flag
CHOLESTEROL - 230 - <239- mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDE - 63 - <199- mg/dL
HDL - 50 - >45- mg/dL
LDL CALCULATED- 167 - <129- mg/dL - H

What does this mean? It looks to me like everything looks good except the LDL. Trigylcerides are really low, so does that balance things out? I'm confused!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by Snowangel81598; 05-06-2007 at 08:24 PM..
Snowangel81598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cabrioluvr
Stats: 18/12/6
WOE: Atkins!
Start Date: 03/2000
I got my chol. results this week too - after fasting.

Chol - 254
Trig - 51
HDL - 104
LDL - 133 (I think)

My idiot Dr. also wanted to put me on statin drugs - I said NO WAY. My ratio is less than 1.4 - and even though my total chol number went up from last year (240 something to now) my HDL also went up. My trig. stay low. I'm not worried.
cabrioluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #55

Gallery: SuSUN
Stats: 159/145.6/135 (5'1")
WOE: Moderation
Start Date: LC 02/02 Dukan 06/12
From reading posts here and elsewhere.

I have discovered that people suggest taking:-

Niacin
Lethicin
Omega 3
Garlic
Psyllium
Oatmeal
Flaxmeal
Red Rice yeast (new to me)
eating less red meat
exercising more
keeping blood sugar even
get Thyroid checked

If anyone has any further Info to add.
I would greatly appreciate it.

DH has high levels even on Crestor.

Susan
SuSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 AM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: medical 2933
To keep your cholesterol under control:

* schedule a screening
* eat foods low in cholesterol and saturated fat
* maintain a healthy weight
* exercise regularly
* follow your healthcare professional's advice
medical 2933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #57

Wake up people.

Quote:
Quote:
The best book out here now is 'The Great Cholesterol Con' by Anthony Colpo.

That is one of the best books I've read on the subject. The cholesterol myth is a huge con and only making the drug companies rich.

Psst....buy stock in those Statin drug producing companies.. They are a hell of a money maker.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #58
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: beachguy
Stats: 320/210/220
WOE: Starting Leptin Rx Nov 2011
Start Date: July 4, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSUN View Post
From reading posts here and elsewhere.

I have discovered that people suggest taking:-

Niacin
Lethicin
Omega 3
Garlic
Psyllium
Oatmeal
Flaxmeal
Red Rice yeast (new to me)
eating less red meat
exercising more
keeping blood sugar even
get Thyroid checked

Susan
The red yeast rice used to contain a natural statin, but the drug companies got the government to force producers of red yeast rice to remove the natural statin. COQ10 was usually recommended with the red yeast rice because of the effect of the statin, but since there isn't a statin in the red yeast rice anymore, this combination isn't of any help in lowering cholesterol.
beachguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:23 AM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Jewels
I can attest that Niacin didn't help me. In fact it even went higher.

I wouldn't worry about it.
[COLOR="Red"]Get out and exercise for 30 minutes a day/7days a week.[/COLOR]
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #60
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 1400 cals/70g carbs/85% Primal
I was reading this article and find this sentiment very, very scary!

Quote:
"The safety and efficacy of statins is superb," says Plutzky. "They may be one of the greatest medical advances we've had in recent years."

And Blumenthal predicts that soon they may be taken like preventative aspirin is now -- even in people who don't have high cholesterol by today's standards.
Medicating just for the sake of medicating? That's scary!
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote