Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Cholesterol and Heart Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2013, 06:45 PM   #271
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ATM Fan
Quote:
Ratios: 300 divided into HDL: 3.79 (Anything over 4.4 is a warning)
Trigs divided into HDL: 52/97: 1.86 (You want 2 or below) This is an indicator for free insulin levels I believe.
LDL divided into HDL: 176/97: 1.81 (ideal is below 4.4)
Using data from post 264 here is my recent numbers.

Cholesterol ...........269
HDL......................60
TRI.......................65
LDL......................167 Using the Iranian formula

Ratios: TTL/HDL. 269/60........4.48. Borderline

TRI/HDL. 65/60..........1.08. Below 2

LDL/HDL. 167/60........2.78. Below 4.4

LDL is high but more than likely large fluffy pattern. Would like to get a VAP test sometime to check.

LC for about a year now no cheating. No sugar or refined carbs about to drive the wife nuts..wish I could get her on board as she's borderline diabetic. That's what turned me on to LC in the first place.
What say everyone?
ATM Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #272
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Confused about Cholesterol tests

The nurse practitioner wasn't very forth coming even though I kept asking.

All she would say is
Your Good Cholesterol is 75
Your bad is 115 and should be at 100
total of 200 which should be a bit lower but your not in a danger zone.

Are these good numbers
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #273
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: E.W.
Stats: 318/297/ a lot less
WOE: Fast5
Start Date: restart again 1/17/2014
Some people might even call those numbers perfect. There is a webpage
called hyperlipid that has the result of a verry large chlosterol study. It was
verry interesting that the overall death rate was about the same from about
185 to 220 total chlosterol ( I could be a few points off this is from memory )
Now when you get lower than about 180 your risk of a heart atack does go
down some BUT your risk of CANCER and stroke goes up.
E.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #274

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
Some people might even call those numbers perfect. There is a webpage
called hyperlipid that has the result of a verry large chlosterol study. It was
verry interesting that the overall death rate was about the same from about
185 to 220 total chlosterol ( I could be a few points off this is from memory )
Now when you get lower than about 180 your risk of a heart atack does go
down some BUT your risk of CANCER and stroke goes up.
Thanks. The only red flag she said she saw was that I am low on vitamin D. I asked her what I should take and she shrugged and just said any supplement will do? So I got some Caltrate.
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 AM   #275
Major LCF Poster!

You might get a second opinion on that. Most supliments will have 400 to 2000 units. But ofton Dr's are perscrining one 50,000 unit pill a week for
a few weeks ( I forget the number of weeks think it's in the 4 to 8 range ) and then retest.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #276
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.W. View Post
You might get a second opinion on that. Most supliments will have 400 to 2000 units. But ofton Dr's are perscrining one 50,000 unit pill a week for
a few weeks ( I forget the number of weeks think it's in the 4 to 8 range ) and then retest.
i was on a 50,000 unit for 6 weeks i took one dose per week, then i take 4000 units per day---my D was 13 now its 35, but should be better, its on the low end of normal---i sometimes forget to take it, so have to get better at that----yes, if your D is very low, i don't think just any thing will do
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 172/162/150
WOE: Atkins influenced
Start Date: restart January 5, 2014
Hi...
I see this thread has not been active for awhile. I have "cholesterol issues" and after losing 30 lbs on Atkins last winter went into a tailspin when my tests came out crazy high...blood pressure and everything else was perfect. I am on vacation right now so do not have my numbers. Suffice it to say, I tried to make a compromise between the doctors low-fat orders and eating low-carb and low-carb lost. I cannot do low-carb low-fat. Period. I ended up gaining the 30 lbs back and here I am again...starting over with low-carb and needing to deal with the cholesterol issue also. My high cholesterol is genetic. I do not want to go on a statin because of the side effects...would love to get into some discussions concerning this issue.
healthywealthywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #278
Major LCF Poster!

Just what do you call crazy high ? And here is at least one large study saying the popular call for our chlosterol to be below 200 may be in serious error. And this graph doesn't even call in the fact that if you are on low carb your triglecerides are probably low and your HDL is probably rather high.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg J-LIT all cause.jpg (11.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #279
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: way too much/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Just got mine done today. How long should I wait to get them checked again? Six months? A year? Or less than those?

Quote:
My high cholesterol is genetic. I do not want to go on a statin because of the side effects...would love to get into some discussions concerning this issue
I absolutely WON'T go on a statin. I don't think it makes a dang bit of difference. To me it's as simple as WHY would I take a pill when it's my body that produces 80% of my cholesterol and the pill won't affect that. You're taking a pill to make at most a 20% difference?

I wouldn't begin to know how to change my diet at this point and be able to stay on it. I am eating now how I would like to eat (without the sugar and grains) which means it's sustainable. I can't and won't cut out eggs and red meat. I dunno my calories but I know by volume, I am not eating that much. I never get stuffed anymore. There simply isn't a way to cut out enough that would make a difference that wouldn't leave me hungry and miserable.
LDL: 191

Last edited by Madmarsha; 01-15-2014 at 05:15 PM..
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #280

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmarsha View Post
Just got mine done today. How long should I wait to get them checked again? Six months? A year? Or less than those?

I absolutely WON'T go on a statin. I don't think it makes a dang bit of difference. To me it's as simple as WHY would I take a pill when it's my body that produces 80% of my cholesterol and the pill won't affect that. You're taking a pill to make at most a 20% difference?

I wouldn't begin to know how to change my diet at this point and be able to stay on it. I am eating now how I would like to eat (without the sugar and grains) which means it's sustainable. I can't and won't cut out eggs and red meat. I dunno my calories but I know by volume, I am not eating that much. I never get stuffed anymore. There simply isn't a way to cut out enough that would make a difference that wouldn't leave me hungry and miserable.
I thought I read a very reputable cardio doc say 9 months. Allow yourself time to get your body in good health and get your numbers squared away.

Are you taking supplements as well? I know there were a lot of good articles/posts on niacin, vit D, fish oils with a high DHA to help. But most important is to eat real foods and off the grains/processed foods.(like you posted. Great! And I agree, eat the eggs and red meat.) And a break a sweat each day

Well wishes.
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 07:34 AM   #281

Gallery: Stevie Renee
Start Date: July 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthywealthywise View Post
Hi...
I see this thread has not been active for awhile. I have "cholesterol issues" and after losing 30 lbs on Atkins last winter went into a tailspin when my tests came out crazy high...blood pressure and everything else was perfect. I am on vacation right now so do not have my numbers. Suffice it to say, I tried to make a compromise between the doctors low-fat orders and eating low-carb and low-carb lost. I cannot do low-carb low-fat. Period. I ended up gaining the 30 lbs back and here I am again...starting over with low-carb and needing to deal with the cholesterol issue also. My high cholesterol is genetic. I do not want to go on a statin because of the side effects...would love to get into some discussions concerning this issue.
I am with EW. What is crazy high? Do you care to share your entire panel?

30 pounds in the cold Alaskan winters seems reasonable! hahah. I would probably gain a lot more! And for what its worth, your doctor cannot force the issue on low fat. Its old, outdated. Your doc is on the old, main stream pipeline. You have to be your own advocate and being a female, using statins is an issue. Lots of articles out there on that subject.

Low carb, healthy fats....go for it

You do have a choice of what you consume
Stevie Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:28 PM   #282
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaM
Stats: 188/170/140 5'1
WOE: lower carb watch calories
Start Date: 01/14/2014
I am concerned about my cholesterol. Last week had my blood test was good except my
total cholesterol is 238 the hdl only 45 and the LDL 174 and don't know where the rest of the numbers are that doesn't total 238. But he said 45 isn't protective has to be 50. Got a prescription for welco. I have a problem with my muscles and balance from inner ear problem. I won't take the other cholesterol meds because they can cause muscle problems. The thing is this medicine is 400 a month without insurance. I have insurance so didn't have to pay that. Still if all this money and medicine is not necessary it makes me mad. I just started low carb 1/14/2014. So my blood test wasn't done when i had been low carbing but a couple weeks. I am concerned when I go back in 3 months it will be way higher. He is sending me to a heart doctor to have a catheter go through my leg and look at my heart. He said with my obvious markers talking about my weight 179 and cholesterol level. He thinks I am at risk. My father had to have a stent when he was 60 I am almost 58. My father was a heavy smoker though. But his sister my aunt had to have a stent also when she was 70 she isn't a smoker or anything very religious woman who had good life style still alive. My father died at 70 of lung cancer even though he quit smoking at age 60 because of the heart situation. I am just wondering if I should expect my numbers to be worse in 3 months or what. I also had high on the inflammation test not a couple years ago differnt doctor. Just wondering if others take asprin he said nothing about asprin but thought that was something we were suppose to do. Feel like I am a ticking time bomb ready to have a heart attack or stroke.
Old 02-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #283
Major LCF Poster!

Here is why the numbers don't add up. The figure for total cholesterol also takes in your triglycerides. Like this total cholesterol = HDL + LDL + 1/5 triglycerides. So in your case it looks like your triglycerides were probably about 95 which is fairly GOOD it could be a little lower to but it's still good. As you continue to lowcarb your cholesterol numbers will probably change. Most of the time total cholesterol comes down now sometimes it will go up some but in this case usually the HDL goes up more than the LDL which ends up being better even if the total is a little up. By the way when you go back in 3 months your Dr. may not check your cholesterol. I am a 63 year old, 160lbs overweight and have diabetes so go in for lab work every 3 months but they only check my cholesterol every 6 months.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the information. Couldn't figure it out.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 AM   #285
Major LCF Poster!

There is a type of dietary fiber inulin-fos. It seems to lower your hunger and therefore your food consumption just a very little. But when it's doing this it may lower your cholesterol and triglycerides a little.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #286
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for reply will read on it.
LindaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #287
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I've read through most of these links. My overall cholesterol came back at 273 and Dr. suggested statins which I refused. I've lost 50 pounds. Everything is good except LDL.

So overall... what is the final conclusion on how to lower cholesterol. The only thing I found is to cut back on coconut oil. Any other suggestions?
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #288
Major LCF Poster!

Here are a couple of things you may want to look at. You may want to get the special test that looks at LDL particle size. If the particles are large it turns out they aren't harmful. Then there are a couple of things you may want to reed up on and consider using. Vitamin E comes in 4 different forms when taken by itself the delta-tocotrienol form will lower cholesterol. Then there is the active form of pantothenic acid Pantethine seems to lower cholesterol also. Then there is Red Rice Yeast which has a natural statin which is supposed to be tolerated a lot better than the regular statins. Of course i am not suggesting you take these things just mentioning you may want to read up on them. Now I have the opposite problem my cholesterol is a little to low I guess I will just eat more bacon .....
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #289
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SpikersMom
Stats: 180/159/140
WOE: Atkins and primal
Start Date: restart in November 2013
I just had blood work done too! The October fasting glucose was an eye opener for me. I bummed around for a few weeks, but got serious with LC about Thanksgiving. I've lost 8 pounds since then.

In October my numbers were:

cholesterol - 250 total
HDL - 63
LDL - 168
triglycerides - 88
cholesterol/HDL ratio: 4.0
fasting glucose 136

Last week I retested and numbers were:

241 total
HDL - 73
LDL - 144
triglycerides - 120
cholesterol/HDL ratio: 3.3
fasting glucose: 116 ac1 was 5.8 I did not have an ac1 test in October, so I don't have a number for comparison.

Overall I'm pleased but know I have more work to do. I figure the triglycerides are higher because I'm eating more fat.

My doctor recommended I take FLUSH NIACIN to lower my cholesterol. Not non-flush, but flush. At bedtime.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:10 PM   #290
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: squash
Stats: 206/171/145
Start Date: November 2013
the above poster is right.
The name Niacin is being used to refer to both Nicotinic acid and Nicotinamide. Nicotinamide lacks the pharmacological activity Nicotinic acid. Nicotinic acid causes flushing and can lower cholesterol.
You can buy this at health food stores or get a prescription version from your DR.
Nicotinamide does not lower cholesterol or cause flushing.
HIGH OR CHRONIC DOSES OF NICOTINAMIDE CAN CAUSE LIVER FAILURE.
And dont trust me, talk to you doctor.
squash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM   #291
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Grammy G
Stats: 235/185/150
WOE: Paleo
I just had my cholesterol retested after 3 months. Last reading was high at approx. 273. The only change I made is to back off of the eggs and when I did eat eggs I used mostly egg whites with an occasional yolk for color.

Maybe I'm just weird but it worked for me. I didn't want to go on cholesterol meds! YAY!
Grammy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:09 AM   #292
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: werkn'it
Stats: 187/133/125
WOE: Atkin'ish
Start Date: 8/13 (this time around)
I've had higher cholesterol numbers for the last several years. I have a great doc who, although he mentioned statins, was willing to work with me and suggested some supplements. He was excited with me that I'd lost weight w/ low carb. Just got my cholesterol numbers back:

Total: 194
HDL: 85
Tri: 57
LDL: 95

So that puts my ratio at 2.3/1 right?

I take Garlic, Omega 369, Flaxseed oil, Cinnamon plus Chromium, CoQ10, and Vit C specifically to help with cholesterol. I also eat oatmeal occasionally and flaxseed muffins and am still able to remain in ketosis. I actually ate quite a bit of oatmeal and muffins the two to three weeks prior to my lab work. Not sure what really worked for me; the supplements, eating lower carb and higher fat, eating fiber, or even the increased exercise, but I'm glad for the good results. I'm thankful for the LCF family that has helped me!
werkn'it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Quote:
Originally Posted by werkn'it View Post
I've had higher cholesterol numbers for the last several years. I have a great doc who, although he mentioned statins, was willing to work with me and suggested some supplements. He was excited with me that I'd lost weight w/ low carb. Just got my cholesterol numbers back:

Total: 194
HDL: 85
Tri: 57
LDL: 95

So that puts my ratio at 2.3/1 right?

I take Garlic, Omega 369, Flaxseed oil, Cinnamon plus Chromium, CoQ10, and Vit C specifically to help with cholesterol. I also eat oatmeal occasionally and flaxseed muffins and am still able to remain in ketosis. I actually ate quite a bit of oatmeal and muffins the two to three weeks prior to my lab work. Not sure what really worked for me; the supplements, eating lower carb and higher fat, eating fiber, or even the increased exercise, but I'm glad for the good results. I'm thankful for the LCF family that has helped me!

wow, those are some pretty dang good numbers, if you ask me........awesome
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote