LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: casey112986
Stats: 230 current 150 goal
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: April 27 2014
six year old son severely obese

My six year old son weighs over 130 pounds. He definitely needs to lose weight. So do i. I have started the family on low carb as of Sunday April 27. He hates vegetables and will fight me tooth and nail over them. I have started making his breakfast and packing his lunch. I do not know if he is eating all of the lunch I send him with. ( so far I have been making meat and cheese roll ups and salad with ranch and bottled water). He gets snack at school which is usually animal crackers. He gets home at four and we eat dinner at five. We have been taking 15 minute walks everyday. Are there any suggestions to help? He was born with tibial torsion and could barely walk before having surgery last September. This plus food choices is the reason he is so big. Please Dont judge just offer suggestions.
Here is what I have fed him this week:
Breakfast: car master yogurt with T walnuts
Lunch: roast beef and cheddar roll ups, cup romaine with two cherry tomatoes and T ranch
Dinner: Linda sues Italian casserole and green beans.
casey112986 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
If he is satisfied with this menu, sounds good to me.
The walks are a great idea!
Children that age like to garden, if you can keep it simple.
Could you let him pick a couple of vegetables and plant them?
With my children, the first one who gardened with me was by far the best veggie eater.
Nothing like eating what you grow!
Green beans and greens are easy, but let him choose.
Start with a very small garden.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/146.4/145, 5'9", 41 y.o., Hypothyroid
WOE: Back to JUDDD!
I'm not sure LC is the way to go if he's still getting carby snacks at school or day care. I'd probably let him pick most of his foods with your direction, so you know he'll eat them and so he has some sense of control.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

We just started a garden and he likes to help. I've made a sticker chart and he gets a sticker each day that he eats his vegetables at dinner. He only gets the one snack at school so I really want to try low carb with him. He eats just as much as his brother (who us five and only 42 pounds) but seems to just gain weight from looking at food. My husband has agreed to go lc too so its a family affair. We have told our son we are trying to get healthy. We never say diet.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: makrida
Stats: 142/132/125
WOE: low carb
Start Date: 4th Jan 2011
poor little guy, thats a tough thing for all of you, especially as he has a trim sibling. maybe you can work in some low carb treats so that he doesn't feel deprived ?
makrida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: shamblyn
Stats: 212/146/140 - 5'8"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 09/07/2012
If he likes berries I would offer strawberries and blueberries with a little cream as a treat. My kids love them.
shamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
What does your son drink during the day?
(Mine is almost 7 years old, and I have cut back on this milk some and transitioned him to water half the day. Juices have a laxative effect, so we steer clear of those anyway, but there are lots of calories that can come from whole milk, juices and sodas.)
No diet sodas of any kind, and mine only gets a few sips of a soda only very very rarely. While I disagree, he is still considered 'obese' at 69.2 pounds and 4 feet tall.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
It sounds like you are on the right track. School will be out soon, so you can have more control of his diet.

One thing I think I would do is make eggs instead of yogurt for breakfast. I am unfamiliar with that brand, but it sounds like it would have artificial sweeteners. If he really likes yogurt you could mix up unsweetened greek yogurt with berries and some stevia if it isn't sweet enough.

My teens have low carbed when they want to drop a few pounds and they do well with LC breads and tortillas (even though I don't). The bread I buy is Sara Lee and called something like 45 Calories and Delightful.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:28 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

He used to drink a lot of diet soda but I cut out all caffeine two months ago so its only water now. Carbmaster is Kroger brand of low carb yogurt but I will switch to egg whites since he hates yolk I bought some strawberries but since he started taking the lc lunch to school he hasn't asked for any snacks. He hasn't been finishing his dinner either. He says he's full- never heard him say that before. Will try the Greek yogurt. I bought unsweetened almond milk but neither of the boys will drink it. I bought some of the Sara Lee bread and hid it in case he cries for bread, so far he hasn't. Hopefully lc will work for him. Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #10
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

It sounds like things are going very well. Congratulations.

Does he like eggs scrambled? When my kids were little I would sometimes put a bit of blue food coloring in them and served them with ham for a Dr Seuss breakfast.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

GME I will try the food coloring. He loves Dr. Seuss books. I am glad I posted this you all have been great help. I am also gonna try the berries and cream that shamblyn mentioned. He tried raw spinach yesterday and said he liked it (doused in ranch if course) but its progress
Old 05-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Mskitty that's crazy your son is no where near obese. My son is 4'5" and twice his size. He wasn't considered obese til he hit 90 lbs. Everyone has said he's so tall he will grow out of it bit the only growing he's done so far is grow out. I've waited so long because I didn't want him to think he was different, but he is different. He's twice the size of his classmates.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey112986 View Post
GME I will try the food coloring. He loves Dr. Seuss books. I am glad I posted this you all have been great help. I am also gonna try the berries and cream that shamblyn mentioned. He tried raw spinach yesterday and said he liked it (doused in ranch if course) but its progress
Those are awesome ideas. Also, I was surprised to find out a few weeks ago that my 9 year old LOVES raw kale. She tried some, and now likes to snack on it plain. Who would've known? Expose your son to all kinds of different veggies, then let him pick what he likes. You might be surprised. I sure was!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:25 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey112986 View Post
Mskitty that's crazy your son is no where near obese. My son is 4'5" and twice his size. He wasn't considered obese til he hit 90 lbs. Everyone has said he's so tall he will grow out of it bit the only growing he's done so far is grow out. I've waited so long because I didn't want him to think he was different, but he is different. He's twice the size of his classmates.
Yes. It IS crazy, and I don't believe it for a second.
My parents had a comment for anything I put in my mouth and weighed me constantly. For this reason, I offer my son healthy options and hope to be a better example to him for diet and exercise, but I will NOT torment him about everything he eats and bully him by weighing him constantly. Mom packed things like apples and oranges, so I tossed those and bought cookies, ice cream, shakes and snacks at school. In other words: their tormenting backfired significantly, and their better intentions were lost in the shuffle. I don't blame them. They honestly tried their best, and my weight issues are my own and I blame no one else for them.
Because of all this, I hope to teach my son to recognize when he's hungry vs when he just 'wants' something because it tastes good... and why. I also hope to teach him to stop when he is satisfied and not just shovel it in because whatever "it" is will be scarce/banned or otherwise limited in his future. It's been killing me to have candy/cookies/chips/nuts and various other things in the house, but I want these things around for him. He doesn't "binge" on anything, and I would like to do more teaching before he is inclined to eat for reasons other than fueling his body. I think these are some skills that will better help him manage any weight issues throughout his life.
Your son may very well gain some height and better distribute that weight. Offering healthy choices, and better yet - leading by example - is still the best thing you can do, imho.
All you can do is do your best at any given moment as a person and as a parent.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dgcashier
Since the weather is warming up he will have more chance at being active outdoors. Does he have a bike? Kids can burn lots of calories riding a bike.
dgcashier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

He can't ride a bike. Although he can walk because of his surgery, he has trouble with balance and wears a leg brace. We tried making a custom bike with extra full size tires on the back but he still has trouble. He is signed up for t ball and I hope to get him into swim lessons. On our walks, we do challenges. Basically the challenges are running from one neighbors mailbox to the next without stopping. So far so good.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #17
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Swimming sounds like a great idea. Will he have to wear his brace in the water?
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:23 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

No he won't have to wear it in the water because he won't be putting any weight on his leg. I think swimming will be his best excersise. I just have to find a swim class that won't interfere with t ball.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Well as of Sunday, he us down six pounds.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:58 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: momof3heathens
Stats: 388/315/150
WOE: Atkins/JUDDD/IF?
Start Date: Always a startdate
Good job kiddo.
momof3heathens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Swimming is excellent for him. And awesome job on the weight loss-you're doing a great job!

Another thing I would suggest is to take him to the grocery store with you and let him make a few healthy choices. It's so important for kids to learn the right way to eat, for them, and seeing how you shop might help him, since you're taking care of yourself too. Make certain aisles off limits....stick to the outside so he doesn't get tempted.

There are so many cool fruits and veggies that he can try, and maybe things like string cheese or natural beef jerky for snacks. One of my lc staples is olives, and my daughter, the pickiest eater on the planet, loves black olives. Maybe you could try those too.

Keep up the good work!!

Last edited by earthcrosser; 05-06-2014 at 12:09 PM..
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

The other day I packed his lunch with celery and almond butter and it came back empty. He said he loved it. So this means he will eat lettuce celery and spinach now. I can't believe it. He likes helping me pack his lunch and loves telling family that he is on a low carb lifestyle. I think we are definitely on the right woe now. There have been a couple times where I have wanted to give up because it is hard watching my husband eat bread and cake (he decided lc didn't work for him). But seeing my son's results and now my own (officially lost ten lbs) has kept me going. Thanks for help.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #23

That's fantastic! Now that he's on board and feeling good about it, I hope it's smooth sailing.