Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MSN08
Stats: sizes 18/6 calling goal!
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2012
How can a child gain weight eating lowcarb?

I have googled and I cannot find what I am seeking. I have my insulin resistant underweight children eating lowcarb and its keeping blood sugar stable but that also means they can go 5 hours without even realizing they haven't eaten and it is a challenge to get them to eat enough because of that. Coconut oil adds good fat and calories but also suppresses their appetites. I need a fool proof plan to put some weight on them that will also keep their sugars stable. Dr's and nutritionists I have seen have not been any help! it is as though they want them to be diabetic and then they will know what to advise. Or does a lowcarb diet normalize weight for underweight people eventually and I should just stay the course and see what happens?
MSN08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
Children generally do better with slightly higher carbs than adults, unless there is a medically indicated reason they must keep their blood sugar low and highly stable.

For my kids, they get moderate carb instead of low carb. That means things like porridge with cream for breakfast, and fruit with nut butters. Their metabolism isn't thrashed like mine, and likely won't be, so adding in slowly digesting carbohydrate sources doesn't do anything deleterious (I'd argue they benefit from it, actually).

If you're dead set on keeping them quite low carb, make a concerted effort to get significant amounts of fat into their diet to keep their calories higher. Servings of nuts and cheese, for example. Or the aforementioned adding cream to things like sauces and desserts. They may still have issues getting enough calories if their appetites are weak, but that should help.

I would make sure they're hitting 50-70 net carbs per day, as a minimum to shoot for unless they absolutely have to be ketogenic (like in seizure management). That should be low enough to keep their insulin in control while allowing a little weight to be put on, if they're appetite allows. But this may be a case where the appetite stimulating and fat storing effects of carbs could be more beneficial than not.

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Children generally do better with slightly higher carbs than adults, unless there is a medically indicated reason they must keep their blood sugar low and highly stable.

For my kids, they get moderate carb instead of low carb. That means things like porridge with cream for breakfast, and fruit with nut butters. Their metabolism isn't thrashed like mine, and likely won't be, so adding in slowly digesting carbohydrate sources doesn't do anything deleterious (I'd argue they benefit from it, actually).

If you're dead set on keeping them quite low carb, make a concerted effort to get significant amounts of fat into their diet to keep their calories higher. Servings of nuts and cheese, for example. Or the aforementioned adding cream to things like sauces and desserts. They may still have issues getting enough calories if their appetites are weak, but that should help.

I would make sure they're hitting 50-70 net carbs per day, as a minimum to shoot for unless they absolutely have to be ketogenic (like in seizure management). That should be low enough to keep their insulin in control while allowing a little weight to be put on, if they're appetite allows. But this may be a case where the appetite stimulating and fat storing effects of carbs could be more beneficial than not.
Thanks! DS8 has low blood sugar so my plan is to keep it from being high or low. They basically eat no processed foods other than cheese and peanut butter so I dont have a carb limit just no simple carbs and complex carbs are eaten with a fat or protein.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

I'd look into adding dairy and animal fats (butter, lard, cream) before more coconut oil - they tend to suppress the appetite a bit less. Just hide calories where you can. Shakes are great for this - you can make a 500 calorie snack pretty easily with a protein shake with cream and some berries! It may blunt their appetite a bit for the next meals but likely not as much as actual food they chew. Beverage calories add up quickly and don't stick with us as long (most folks get a cue for more food intake sooner after drinking the same quantity of calories as compared with chewing them).

Frequent eating would be my other recommendation. I'd have a child showing hypoglycemia graze more than a normal child, to help stabilize them further. Just my .02
Old 11-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
If they can tolerate yogurt on their plan, a nice treat is Greek-style yogurt, plain, with added cream stirred in. Top with berries and maybe a drizzle of SF jam or syrup.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Perfect advice thank you both!
Old 11-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
I have googled and I cannot find what I am seeking. I have my insulin resistant underweight children eating lowcarb and its keeping blood sugar stable but that also means they can go 5 hours without even realizing they haven't eaten and it is a challenge to get them to eat enough because of that. Coconut oil adds good fat and calories but also suppresses their appetites. I need a fool proof plan to put some weight on them that will also keep their sugars stable. Dr's and nutritionists I have seen have not been any help! it is as though they want them to be diabetic and then they will know what to advise. Or does a lowcarb diet normalize weight for underweight people eventually and I should just stay the course and see what happens?
I am not surprised you cannot find doctors to help. I think they are few and far between.

I have read that low carb will normalize weight (Life Without Bread). It is also probably good to note that children on ketogenic diets do fine. That is because there are no essential carbohydrates.

I must ask how it is that you know your children are insulin resistant and what their blood sugars are?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am not surprised you cannot find doctors to help. I think they are few and far between.

I have read that low carb will normalize weight (Life Without Bread). It is also probably good to note that children on ketogenic diets do fine. That is because there are no essential carbohydrates.

I must ask how it is that you know your children are insulin resistant and what their blood sugars are?
DD11 Had the fasting glucose testing done and it showed insulin resistance because her sugars were 174. DS8 has had fasting sugars in 50's so his Dr. said that shows insulin problems as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Wow, that is good it was caught. I would not worry about what their low weight is and just concentrate on really good nutrition.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Poor kiddos, I'd be concerned and working on the dietary angle, too. Definitely worry less about carbs than calories, then, and work fats into everything you can. Smoothies are going to be your friend regarding this, and don't overlook simple things like homemade LC icecream, either
Old 11-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jedswife
Stats: 220/160/140
WOE: Body By Atkins
try baking with milled flax seeds - it is high in fat and calories with no carbs
jedswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Spanilingo
Stats: 130 now 102 5 ft 1
WOE: Lost Atkins/mod carb. Maint-HFLC
Start Date: Feb-March 2011
Children on ketogenic diets to control seizures are monitored carefully for growth and bone density. Children don't gain on keto diets for the same reasons ketogenic diets work to maintain weight for adults.
Spanilingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Now my DS is complaining of stomach aches,pale and weak I just wish somehow I knew what is going to get his health on track. Basically if I let him eat whatever he wants then he feels bad and if I regulate his diet he feels bad. I have an appt set up for today to see what is going on. I have not limited the amount of vegetables or fruits they can eat and I have also been letting them have lowcarb desserts so I don't see why he would still be feeling so lousy with adequate carbs and no processed garbage foods.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #14
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
If he is sick that is another matter, but I wouldn't worry too much about going 4-5 hours without eating if all else is well.

That was the norm until recently. Breakfast and 7:00, lunch at noon, small snack after school (maybe), then dinner at 6:00. I can't remember anyone having snacks at school after kindergarten.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
What does he eat in an average day?
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
What does he eat in an average day?
Breakfast 1 scrambled egg with a slice of cheese, 3 slices bacon 2 tbs coconut oil

Lunch 1/2 cheeseburger bunless with about 5 broccoli trees

dinner about 10 pieces of some grilled meat either pork chop,chicken or fish and more broccoli
Old 12-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSN08 View Post
Breakfast 1 scrambled egg with a slice of cheese, 3 slices bacon 2 tbs coconut oil

Lunch 1/2 cheeseburger bunless with about 5 broccoli trees

dinner about 10 pieces of some grilled meat either pork chop,chicken or fish and more broccoli
I have read many times of people saying CO kills thier appetite and causes extreme stomach discomfort, even to the point of vomiting for some
How tall is he? What is his weight?

Last edited by girl81; 12-20-2013 at 01:23 PM..
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:13 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LucilleMcgill
Stats: 235/235/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/5/2014
that is a lot of coconut oil if he is not used to it. it may be causing a belly ache.
LucilleMcgill is offline   Reply With Quote