Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Children's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Autism and LC-ketogenic WOE-need advice

My oldest has high functioning autism and our doctor has asked me to put her on a GFCF diet.
I have been reading up and think a ketogenic diet will work even better.
I have also been looking into Jenny Mcarthy books and a new book called Healing Autism by Kerri Rivera.
It looks like healing the gut with probiotics and such,but the rest of it all sounds strange and scary.
Has anyone had experience in this?
did you see anything improve at all?
I am scared to start ,since she eats only a handful of foods,and they are all bread,cookies and milk!She refuses to eat anything else.
180:
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GingerAnn
WOE: Atkins
How old is she?
GingerAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: okapi
WOE: Atkins-OWL
Start Date: April 9, 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
My oldest has high functioning autism and our doctor has asked me to put her on a GFCF diet.
I have been reading up and think a ketogenic diet will work even better.
I have also been looking into Jenny Mcarthy books and a new book called Healing Autism by Kerri Rivera.
It looks like healing the gut with probiotics and such,but the rest of it all sounds strange and scary.
Has anyone had experience in this?
did you see anything improve at all?
I am scared to start ,since she eats only a handful of foods,and they are all bread,cookies and milk!She refuses to eat anything else.
I have seen many children demonstrate improvements with behavior and development after moving to a GFCF diet...the kiddos who I have seen do the best have moved more toward a whole food diet with little processed food (so, not just substituting rice crackers for wheat crackers, but eating more protein, veggies, fruit, healthy fat, etc...just like many of us here strive to do for optimal health!). I have also seen eliminating food dyes make a big difference for some kids.

Your last sentence compels me to ask if she is working with an occupational therapist (OT) for any sensory issues? It sounds like she likely has some sensory-based feeding aversions (and probably also some behavioral feeding issues that have grown from the sensory issues) and feeding therapy can be a very big help with that. Just make sure to find a good OT who has a strong background in sensory feeding difficulties and autism. Sometimes the feeding therapy is done by speech-language pathologists (SLP) too...or sometimes even a team with an OT, SLP, nutritionist/dietician, psychologist, etc. This would be something you would have to seek outside of school...school services very rarely get involved with feeding issues.

Best wishes to you as you strive to make positive changes with your daughter's diet!

**I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.** (Patrick Henry)

Last edited by okapi; 11-11-2013 at 10:36 PM..
okapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I have no experience with autism, but I read that a GAPS diet can also be of benefit. I think it probably is pretty similar to the GFCF diet, not sure though.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Since your doctor is interested in dietary issues, isn't this something you should be discussing with him/her?

I really doubt that any of us has the type of expertise to advise you, since your daughter's issues are surely complex.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Last edited by Mimosa23; 11-12-2013 at 03:55 AM..
Old 11-12-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
She is 8.I have had mixed results with ABA therapy,I am not sure I want to continue.For me it was a waste of time money efforts.But I am sure there are good therapists,I just have to find the right one.
Katie you are right,she is an extremely sensory child,scored 118 out of 120 for SPD.I haven't been able to find a good OT in our area.We live somewhat remote,away from town,so that has been difficult.I am looking to get her on OT during summer so I can travel far if needed to.The school therapies arent much help either.

I will definitely consult with my doctor,I just wanted to know if someone had firsthand experience with this.As with everything else in life,parents of autistic kids are the true experts.

I will check with GAPS too.For a child,being compliant to the diet is an issue,and I don't want to complicate anything further.there is very little,if any,info on the effects of such diet on these children,and I was wondering if anyone had experience or articles/info/studies on the effects of ketogenic diet on Autism that I may have missed.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:18 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Here's an interesting article on the GAPS diet by the Dr. who 'invented' it...

http://gapsdiet.com/uploads/GAPS_Autism.pdf
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I believe Dr. Purlmutter author of Grain Brain discusses autism in his book.

I personally think Jenny Mcarthy knows nothing and because of her position as a 'celebrity' has spread some untrue information about immunizations as if it were a scientific fact and it is most certainly not. She is dangerous in my opinion.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote