LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luvmybabyhead
Stats: 342/288/275 (2nd goal)
WOE: LC/HF
Start Date: 7/17/13
low carb & little kids

I've lost 45 pounds and currently my diabetic hubby is suffering on day 4 on induction. WHOO HOO! He's a firm believer in LC but his cravings and stress eating habits usually derail him early on. We have discovered a few sugar free items and recipes that are helping though. Anyway...

We have a 4 year old. She's tall and sturdy...but not in a euphemistically meant way. She's just tall, very active, and solid with lots of muscle on her. DD is 91% for height and 97% for weight, and our pedi says she's perfectly healthy. She's outside 2 or more hours a day. We've never done juice, she drinks almond milk, and we rarely do candy, treats, or desserts. She's happy to eat most of what's given to her so she's happily devouring liver, broccoli, coconut flour pancakes, tuna salad, and berries like I've been eating. Daddy can't believe she eats what I eat cause he's a picky eater. She is not.

Now that Daddy is on the LC wagon she's eating some carbs - her favorite snack is wheat thins with port wine cheese lol - but not much at home except for a daily apple and orange. However, at daycare she eats a state mandated "balanced" lunch with 2 snacks. We had to move heaven and earth for them to agree to give her only almond milk from home and NO juice. I actually had to bring several doc notes to OK her to have sippy cups of breast milk when she was over 12 months old for God's sake...so changing her diet radically at daycare would be very difficult.

I know that an adult should pick a way of eating andstick with it...either a "good" low fat diet or a high fat/low sugar diet because fat+sugar=bad. Is it OK for a 4 year old to eat about 25% of her diet as the SAD and the other 75% LCHF? My feeling is that she's always eaten very well and relatively low sugar and has no metabolic issues so a higher carb meal every day isn't going to damage her. She rarely eats much of the snacks they offer but is pretty good about polishing her lunch off daily. I don't restrict veggies or fruit with her but would like to lower her grain intake. I just worry about the daycare lunch that she's going to be eating until next fall when we can pack a lunch without battling the State of NC daycare nutrition regs!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I am a laid back sort . . . my guess is she will be just fine.
It's a matter of how much you want to fight the system.
Juice seems just like sugar to me, but in small amounts I wouldn't worry.
Not everyone has problems with more carbs.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Oh we don't do any juice...that's just liquid sugar. Changing that with daycare was so difficult that i cant imagine how hard it would be to change her lunch!
luvmybabyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
That's messed up that the state has so much say on what your child should eat. If your Dr. was agreeable with the juice, could you get a pass on grains too? Then maybe, you could pack her lunch? If you can get the Dr. on board it'd be a fight I'd take on.

Maria has a slew of recipes for kids, and big kids, You could check her out. Like she said in an interview with Jimmy Moore, if someone is handing out cookies a carrot stick isn't going to cut it!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: theredhead
Stats: 229/152/150
WOE: Atkins/hCG/maintaining EASILY with JUDDD
Start Date: 09/04/03
My 3 year old granddaughter started out sugar and grain free, for the most part, but has gravitated toward more of the stuff since her parents aren't low carbers. It was really hard for me, at first, to see her have stuff that I don't think is good for her, but I've stepped back in recent months and tried to look at the big picture. (I also try not to interfere.) She eats a nice variety of healthy foods, with very limited junk, and she's just perfectly in the 50% height and 50% weight zone on the chart. I think a moderate approach, without too much emphasis on any one thing might be the way to go. It sounds like your little girl is a good eater, and a good size, so I wouldn't fret.

And congratulations of your awesome loss, and having your DH on board. It's so much easier to do this when you're not alone. My DH has been with me through all the crazy iterations of low carb I've done, and never complained. And he looks mighty FINE!
Click here for our fatties pics!
And another old one

Click here for a new picture.
And another newer one

Last edited by theredhead; 10-20-2013 at 01:33 PM..
theredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredhead View Post
My 3 year old granddaughter started out sugar and grain free, for the most part, but has gravitated toward more of the stuff since her parents aren't low carbers. It was really hard for me, at first, to see her have stuff that I don't think is good for her, but I've stepped back in recent months and tried to look at the big picture. (I also try not to interfere.) She eats a nice variety of healthy foods, with very limited junk, and she's just perfectly in the 50% height and 50% weight zone on the chart. I think a moderate approach, without too much emphasis on any one thing might be the way to go. It sounds like your little girl is a good eater, and a good size, so I wouldn't fret.
That's reassuring. DD eats very little junk too. I really don't want to so strictly limit her foods that she ends up having issues or unintentionally turn it into a battle.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
It sounds like you are doing very well with her. It is hard with daycare and school. Even if DS brought his lunch to school they still serve high carb snacks at his after school program. He's overweight but his weight has stayed the same since last February, so that's a real accomplishment for us. He's 11 and is learning to make his own healthy choices. He is not low carb, but "lower" carb than he used to be. Sometimes he skips the afterschool snack if it is too junky. But other times it is hard for him to resist. I think if she eats low carb most of the time and gets "balanced" but SAD foods at day care you shouldn't stress about it too much. If you teach her well some day she will be able to decide on her own what is a healthy choice and what isn't.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
My children eat a whole foods diet that is moderate in carbs (quite low compared to their peers, way too high for me), and it is truly a mix of what I'd consider my dietary fare (meats, cheeses, veggies), stretcher meals (lots of porridge for breakfast, grain served at dinner), and what their daddy likes (cheap cookies and pizza).

All are healthy as horses, within normal weight limits, nice and active, and their doctor complimented me on their diet. I'm very much an 80/20 rule person with my kids - their bodies aren't broken and aren't full of metabolic issues like mine, so I don't treat them like they are. Almost all of what they eat I cook from scratch at home, and it is supplemented with things like a weekly pizza night, the occasional dessert, and frozen chicken nuggets once or twice a week.

They are thriving and eat in a very balanced way. Nothing wrong with that, I don't believe most children need to be LC to be healthy, when just moving toward their base diet being homemade and reasonably unprocessed is probably enough to mitigate most of the damage we see in their peers. It all balances out, you know?

Today, for example, was Sunday. My husband always makes pancakes for them for breakfast, which I'm not a huge fan of but it's his one breakfast with them per week. However lunch was carrot sticks, apple, almonds, and a hardboiled egg. Dinner will be mixed veggies, chicken tiki masala, and some rice. No dessert. The pancakes and rice aren't automatically body-killing poison in controlled quantities when the rest of the day is filled with nutritious fare. Truly don't overthink it, just make the core of your kid's diet solid and the little treats and junky detours will have far less impact than if the root diet was a mess

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Taryl...I appreciate your thoughtful response!
Old 10-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I try to keep my toddler low carb, but if I restrict things, he wants them more. He is lower than most kids, but I think he eats way too many!
I gave up on my ten year old, lol.
But, they both love the port cheese too,
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote