Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Children's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/childrens-health/)
-   -   Morbidly obese children (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/childrens-health/809867-morbidly-obese-children.html)

Natalia 08-12-2013 07:48 AM

Morbidly obese children
 
I was with my children this weekend, enjoying my SF iced coffee and cruising LCF while they were playing, and I saw a little girl, 3-4 years of age, very very large. So large she had trouble walking because her thighs were hitting each other.. She had to almost limp. It was heartbreaking to see someone so young be disabled by weight. :(

My older son is at "that age" , 10.5, grade 5. This is the age hubs and I both started gaining. He just saw his pediatrician for his yearly, and she said he grew 9" this year and most kids have a chubby spurt before puberty.

What makes it tougher is he has food texture aversions and is a super taster so very limited diet. He could live on Cheerios !

Have any of you changed your family's eating while you LC?

suzanneyea 08-12-2013 08:20 AM

I have tried to change my sons eating, but it has not worked. He is thin and can eat whatever he wants, so the motivation is just not there for him.
He loves the lc food I make, but still eats other junk.

BulldogMom 08-12-2013 08:34 AM

My kids are 4 and 7 yrs old and thin. My youngest is a very picky eater and won't touch meat or veggies aside from lettuce. The pediatrician says as long as she eats fruit she is still getting her vitamins. But there are only a few fruits that she will eat. I'm going to start experimenting with some recipes that I found on Pinterest that use pureed chick peas in choc chip cookies and black beans in brownies instead of flour. I don't want the girls to become obsessed with food or feel like anything is off limits. Instead I hope to teach portion control and change their tastes to healthier fare. For the most part, they aren't big eaters but they do like their carbs.

clackley 08-12-2013 08:38 AM

I think many children are suffering the obesity symptom because of their genetics, their mother's diet and their own diet. It is disease.

It's called metabolic syndrome and even if some people are thin, it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

KeirasMom 08-12-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 16556037)
I was with my children this weekend, enjoying my SF iced coffee and cruising LCF while they were playing, and I saw a little girl, 3-4 years of age, very very large. So large she had trouble walking because her thighs were hitting each other.. She had to almost limp. It was heartbreaking to see someone so young be disabled by weight. :(

My older son is at "that age" , 10.5, grade 5. This is the age hubs and I both started gaining. He just saw his pediatrician for his yearly, and she said he grew 9" this year and most kids have a chubby spurt before puberty.

What makes it tougher is he has food texture aversions and is a super taster so very limited diet. He could live on Cheerios !

Have any of you changed your family's eating while you LC?

We aren't LC anymore, but my daughter has recently put on a few pounds. She's 8.5 and just got diagnosed with early puberty. The doctor isn't concerned AT ALL with her weight because she's sure she's heading into a growth spurt and it'll even out.

This is something that concerns me as well, having been obese myself, and having a husband who was obese and is still overweight.

When I see children who are obviously obese, I always assume (and hope) there's a genetic or metabolic issue. It's heartbreaking to think it could just be bad parenting. I also have a friend who is as skinny as can be and she has two children. Her daughter is overweight and has been from a young age. Her son is very fit, bordering on thin. She feeds them the same foods and has had them both evaluated, and it's just their "normal." They are both involved in sports. :dunno:

cfine 08-12-2013 01:22 PM

I am in total agreement with Clackley. Until carbs stop being the main foods that we eat there are going to be major problems in this country. Going back to real food is the solution,IMHO.

Catzmom 08-12-2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16556091)
My kids are 4 and 7 yrs old and thin. My youngest is a very picky eater and won't touch meat or veggies aside from lettuce. The pediatrician says as long as she eats fruit she is still getting her vitamins. But there are only a few fruits that she will eat. I'm going to start experimenting with some recipes that I found on Pinterest that use pureed chick peas in choc chip cookies and black beans in brownies instead of flour. I don't want the girls to become obsessed with food or feel like anything is off limits. Instead I hope to teach portion control and change their tastes to healthier fare. For the most part, they aren't big eaters but they do like their carbs.

Let me introduce you to a cookbook/website called "The Sneaky Chef". Lots of free recipes. You would not believe how many veggies you can slip into food and they will never notice! My daughter will not touch almost any veggie with a 10 foot pole - to her knowledge. hee hee :laugh:

rubidoux 08-12-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16556494)
I am in total agreement with Clackley. Until carbs stop being the main foods that we eat there are going to be major problems in this country. Going back to real food is the solution,IMHO.

I'm so frustrated bc I'm not confident enough to feed my kids full on low fat or low carb and then everyone here says (and, well, I guess I'm starting to believe that it might be true) that I can not feed them lower carb because if I feed them fat I gotta not feed them carbs. :cry: OMG, it's making me crazy!!!! Then I have my husband to deal with who is gluten free not because he is celiac or even thinks he's sensitive to wheat but bc he thinks its bad for him and makes him feel bad, but does not think it's "fair" to stop giving the kids wheat. :stars:

Anyway... my kids are both slim, but my older one I guess is at that age, too. I don't actually think he's all that close to puberty. But he's turning ten in a month and I have noticed that a lot of his friends, kids who were always slim until recently, are getting a little puffy looking. And then I have noticed just in the last few weeks that he's getting just a little extra chub. I don't want to worry about this as I think it's probably pretty normal. But I think it's hard not to worry in this climate where childhood obesity is the topic du jour and I have had some pretty serious weight issues. Sigh...

I am really curious, though, to hear what you all think would be a good way to feed kids. If I had my way (ie, didn't have to butt heads with hubby over it), I'd probably be modeling their diet on what Peter Attia feeds his kid. And I'd have no wheat in the house and very little to no grain. But I would be very worried about the thing everyone keeps saying about how it's gotta be either low fat or low carb, but if you feed them any carbs, you gotta lower the fat.

nolcjunk 08-12-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfine (Post 16556494)
I am in total agreement with Clackley. Until carbs stop being the main foods that we eat there are going to be major problems in this country. Going back to real food is the solution,IMHO.

Carbs are real foods.

Starchy whole foods are not the problem- it's the processed cereal bars, fast food burgers and fries, and kid snack foods that are the problem.

Plus, it's our whole snacking culture. We had breakfast, lunch (maybe), an afternoon snack (piece of fruit), and dinner. That's it. Nowadays kids and adults eat from the time they get up until they go to bed.

I am so thankful that my mom fed us so well- she cooked, we had lots of vegetables and fruits, meats, full fat dairy and butter, water to drink, fast food only on vacations, and snacks like chips only rarely. I got fat for a few years when my thyroid tanked and I decided to use that as a reason to stuff myself with junk but I never lost my taste for healthy foods, so it was super easy to go back to them.

The best thing you can do is model healthy behavior. We ate how our parents ate and everyone was thin, healthy, and athletic. Center meals around protein and vegetables, don;t push finishing everything, and drink water as your main beverage. Don't make food the main focus of celebrations and holidays. Do active things as a family.

lterry913 08-12-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16556514)
I'm so frustrated bc I'm not confident enough to feed my kids full on low fat or low carb and then everyone here says (and, well, I guess I'm starting to believe that it might be true) that I can not feed them lower carb because if I feed them fat I gotta not feed them carbs. :cry: OMG, it's making me crazy!!!! Then I have my husband to deal with who is gluten free not because he is celiac or even thinks he's sensitive to wheat but bc he thinks its bad for him and makes him feel bad, but does not think it's "fair" to stop giving the kids wheat. :stars:

Anyway... my kids are both slim, but my older one I guess is at that age, too. I don't actually think he's all that close to puberty. But he's turning ten in a month and I have noticed that a lot of his friends, kids who were always slim until recently, are getting a little puffy looking. And then I have noticed just in the last few weeks that he's getting just a little extra chub. I don't want to worry about this as I think it's probably pretty normal. But I think it's hard not to worry in this climate where childhood obesity is the topic du jour and I have had some pretty serious weight issues. Sigh...

I am really curious, though, to hear what you all think would be a good way to feed kids. If I had my way (ie, didn't have to butt heads with hubby over it), I'd probably be modeling their diet on what Peter Attia feeds his kid. And I'd have no wheat in the house and very little to no grain. But I would be very worried about the thing everyone keeps saying about how it's gotta be either low fat or low carb, but if you feed them any carbs, you gotta lower the fat.

I would think the only bad thing to do would be to add extra fat to their foods.
Alot of people add fat just to keep thei fat ratios up...so jsut don't add extra to theirs.
So maybe just moderate carbs, and no added fat just to ad it per say.

nolcjunk 08-12-2013 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16556514)
I am really curious, though, to hear what you all think would be a good way to feed kids. If I had my way (ie, didn't have to butt heads with hubby over it), I'd probably be modeling their diet on what Peter Attia feeds his kid. And I'd have no wheat in the house and very little to no grain. But I would be very worried about the thing everyone keeps saying about how it's gotta be either low fat or low carb, but if you feed them any carbs, you gotta lower the fat.

I think the best way is leaner protein, eggs, vegetables, and fruits. I wouldn't push a ton of fat on kids like hwc, fatty meats, etc if they are eating higher carb and eating mainstream junk foods. They can still have things like butter and full fat dairy but those things shouldn't make up a huge portion of their food. I think things like salmon, cup up raw vegetables, evoo, greek yogurt, walnuts, and almonds are great (I think that's like the South Beach diet)

Natalia 08-12-2013 01:52 PM

Hi Jayne!

I think there are 2 issues with low fat or low carb.

1. It's primarily an issue with saturated (and obviously trans) fats because saturated fat has a chance to cause a bunch of problems IF you have a high carb intake. So you could do moderate fat from a health standpoint if you used monounsaturated etc .

2. If someone eats a high carb high fat diet they would have greater potential for obesity because it obviously lends itself to a higher caloric intake.
OTOH , you gotta wonder bc if fat is more satiating then perhaps the overall calories would be the same.. Like a small bowl of popcorn with butter may satisfy to the same degree as a large bowl, plain. Then you get into complex questions like cuing and the addictive properties of carbs+fat...

So, I don't know. Lol

If I had my way, I would greatly reduce both sugar and wheat. I would still allow starch.
I would allow healthy fats and lots of fruit and veggies and dairy.

princessmommy 08-12-2013 03:00 PM

My kids are 16 (son) and almost 13 yr old daughter. She started her "cycles" last year and ever since she has filled out a lot. She Has gained weight too which i'm trying to curb but I gotta admit it's hard! She's been Very sensitive about her height since she was in kindergarten. She's already 5'7 so she's been taller then just about every classmate since K. She's been teased horribly over it! She knows she's gained weight but I need to know How to talk to her about it. She will bawl her eyes out if anyone says anything about her size. I am trying hard to cut out wheat and grains from her diet since I think she may be sensitive to them, constipation issues, excema, "chicken skin" bumps etc.

pocahontas 08-12-2013 03:21 PM

I am a firm believer that kids will eat as the family does.

DH and I eat healthy and so does DS but we occasionally go out for burgers or order a pizza, pick up Thai, Greek, etc. You get the jist. DS eats whatever we are eating. We dont keep any junk in the house though, for all of our sakes! :laugh: Snacks at home are fresh fruit, carrot sticks & hummus, whole grain crackers w/ pb, tomatoes & cucumbers, cashews, things like that.

I dont want food to be an issue so I dont make anything forbidden. I know that he eats healthy protein, fruit, veggies, nuts, cheese, healthy fats, etc like 90% of the time because that is how we shop so that is what we have at home. If we are on a road trip and he wants "chickens" (chicken nuggets), he can have them. He also went with his cousins to get frozen yogurt with sprinkles and that was OK with me.

My point is, if you make it healthy at home the payoff will be worth it. The rest will fall into place.

Unfortunately, we live in a "convenient" culture. Parents are feeding their children convenience foods, snack foods, soda and fast food. It's horrible IMO and something I vowed not to do with my family. I sleep better at night knowing that I have done all I can to provide nutritious healthy food to my family.

ETA: I dont buy many wheat products, just some bread for DH and some whole grain crackers. I dont add extra fats to DS's food.

Arctic_Mama 08-12-2013 03:25 PM

My kids eat a diet like Sally Fallon recommends, not dissimilar to Attia'a daughter. Moderate fat, protein, and carbs in the form of whole foods. And I don't spare it a second thought. We do 90/10 on nutritious fare vs. junkier food. So breakfast mot be porridge/cottage cheese/bacon/banana, lunch might be hot dog/peach/snap peas, dinner might be turkey soup/saltines/whole grain rhubarb cobbler.

Some fun foods are mixed in there, but most of it is minimally processed, nutrient packed stuff. The occasional homemade dessert or processed meat isn't the end of the world, just like adding butter and HWC to their porridge doesn't do anything but keep them more full, longer. Don't overthink it, unless a problem is exhibiting itself it is safe to assume their metabolisms are more normative than ours. Remember that obesity is a symptom, not the disease in and of itself. So watch for that and other symptoms - otherwise just lean toward a traditional human diet that is whole, reasonably unrefined, and let them eat to satiety. Don't structure their food interactions around entertainment for the most part (sending a kid to bed with warm milk isn't a great habit to begin, when so many adults can trace their nighttime and comfort eating to similar practices) and encourage their bodies to be active and strong. No vegging out with juice and popcorn in front of the tv, except for rare occasion.

These are common sense things, and I firmly believe that common sense plus a distinct lack of convenience/processed foods is absolutely great for most children, until their bodies indicate otherwise.

pocahontas 08-12-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama (Post 16556710)

These are common sense things, and I firmly believe that common sense plus a distinct lack of convenience/processed foods is absolutely great for most children, until their bodies indicate otherwise.

:goodpost:

Gibbs 08-12-2013 03:45 PM

Both our boys are chubby, oldest is 11 years, 220#'s, 5'8"!! Doesn't look fat until the shirt comes off, he has some serious man boobies starting. 10 year old got chubby over the summer. We're working on eating better and school starts this week, back to sports :)


Adding that I didn't get fat until puberty hit and the old man was always bigger than the average kid, but not fat until his 20's. I'm trying to get them all to eat better, it doesn't help having Pizza Hut tonight, but I'm sick and am NOT cooking :(

BulldogMom 08-12-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catzmom (Post 16556511)
Let me introduce you to a cookbook/website called "The Sneaky Chef". Lots of free recipes. You would not believe how many veggies you can slip into food and they will never notice! My daughter will not touch almost any veggie with a 10 foot pole - to her knowledge. hee hee :laugh:

Thanks! I'll look into that website. My oldest will eat almost anything, most veggies and fruits. My youngest is the carb lover that hates meat. So for her, she gets whole wheat pasta or jasmine rice. We make nightly runs to the store for whatever fresh fruit they want as an after dinner snack. But the 4 yr old has been a challenge when it comes to trying new things. Its funny though that she prefers a baked potato to French fries and will eat sushi with seaweed. My kids are strange. LOL

KeirasMom 08-12-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BulldogMom (Post 16556736)
Thanks! I'll look into that website. My oldest will eat almost anything, most veggies and fruits. My youngest is the carb lover that hates meat. So for her, she gets whole wheat pasta or jasmine rice. We make nightly runs to the store for whatever fresh fruit they want as an after dinner snack. But the 4 yr old has been a challenge when it comes to trying new things. Its funny though that she prefers a baked potato to French fries and will eat sushi with seaweed. My kids are strange. LOL

We used to have to hide avocados or my daughter would throw a fit wanting them all. day. long! (at around a year and a half!) The other day I asked her if she wanted to go to Cheesecake Factory for a date night with me, and she requested Vietnamese instead. She loves sushi and Indian food, etc. My kid's strange too! :hyst:

Trigger828 08-12-2013 04:39 PM

3-4 yrs old being very very large I bet it was some type of medical problem. kids taking steriods and other situations. but of course overeating could easily be the problem.

I also am seeing children HUGE for their ages. It is scary. What gets me is the amt. of new younger moms. the 22-30 age group. in my location in the South they are very huge. it is horrible. I know for a fact my kid won't be one of those. I am taking steps to be sure she understands obesity and what is the root causes. high carb, high fat junk. the usual SAD is just nasty. eat real food everyone :)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 AM.