Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PoetJess
Stats: 275/223/150
Start Date: 4-4-2012
Kid on LC...what do you buy?

My son is 11 and is struggling with his weight. I have told him that he just needs to wait for a growth spurt and handle his portions, but he is still very frustrated. All school year, he's wanted to do LC with me, and I've said no because it's too hard to do lunches, birthday parties, etc. while on LC (especially for a kid...I mean I'm 34 and it can be tough for ME). But all the while, I've been stuck with my advice to him...knowing that what I'm telling him isn't what I believe. (Like eat a piece of fruit, or have some Special K). Honestly, I've been torn with what to do.

School ended today and I told him if he wanted to try LC with me, he could. My question is, since he's a kid, should I buy the LC substitutions? I don't buy any of that for myself...I do it clean...but maybe it would make it easier for him?

What do you think? And if I do, what are some basics of what I should get?

http://www.mamasnarky.com
PoetJess is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lilbeetle
Stats: 165/127/125(5'4)
WOE: Primal with intermittant M&E
Start Date: March 2013
I dont buy substitutions for my family. They eat what I do. Im more leanient about portion sizes for them though.

You might want to make/bake some of the LC 'treats' for him and portion them out so its not all being 'good'. And there's a lot of entirely legal LC food that comes across as treats without breaking the carb balance. In our house pancakes with whipped cream and/or yogurt, and berries; or bacon, eggs and halomi is boring everyday food

Lunch is a platter they pick out for themselves of foods I have in containers. So at lunch time i put on the benchs a dozen containers containing things like olives, nuts, grated cheese, boiled eggs, shredded lettuce, beetroot, diced tomatoes, 3 kinds of sliced meat, steamed or raw veges (carrots, brocoli, peppers, cucumber) as well as a choice of dressing or mayo. They like it because they can pick what they want, and I like it because its easy for me. A couple of the containers have the recommended portion size written on them

Dinner is whatever I make, and we have two dessert nights a week. Add in a LC baking snack once or twice a day and its not so bad.

Last edited by lilbeetle; 05-31-2013 at 08:31 PM..
lilbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
What kind of subs are you thinking about? I feel like my kids would heartily reject ones I've tried. I would say do if as cleanly as possible, though.

My kids don't eat LC but their diet has changed quite a bit w mine. I don't ever buy bread anymore, for example. I don't want them relying heavily on grains or eating a ton if sugar. So there are a few LC items that they eat a lot, almonds and olives (good ones, not the flavorless canned ones) and MEAT are everyday things. They really like chicken strips or rolled up roast beef w some mustard or BBQ sauce for dipping. For a treat, I'll give them sliced apple w some peanut butter w a packet of truvia and some salt mixed in (maybe use celery if apple's too carby). My kids LOVE the blue diamond BBQ habenero and salt and vinegar almonds, trader joe's mesquite almonds and roasted macadamias.

Also, check out the egg cream recipes, yum!

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding

Last edited by rubidoux; 05-31-2013 at 09:54 PM..
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
My ten year stays low carb most of the time. He eats a lot of cheeseburgers. Eggs for breakfast. Deli meat or devil eggs for snacks. He also loves veggies and mayo dip.
But, if he goes to a party and they serve pizza, he eats that.
He only drinks water.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JKat
Start Date: December 2003
My daughter is 11 too. She has hit that puberty time where she has gained a bit of weight. I have handled it kinda like u with portion control but I know it's not working and I also know she needs a growth spurt. I am afraid to restrict her because I do not the way she talks about her body.

Not reall sure what to do ? Already talked to pediatrician and its normal to talk about body and also not normal. I am watching and observing. It's tough thing!
JKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:13 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I think what might be crucial is to find recipes they love. Finding a pizza crust that is LC I think is a good idea, even if it means that you but a readymade product, but keep it for the days when he has friends visiting. That way he will not look different in the eyes of other kids.At worst he will be known as the kid whose Mum makes terrible pizza .
Other than that there is a ton of stuff that will not even feel different to kids, the cheesecakes for example so I would not make a big deal about changing over to them. Just a new recipe that's all .

Jkat, I wonder if your daughter needs to know that the changes are for her weight benefit. How about you going on an autocratic health kick, throwing out some stuff of your own, for example replacing Splenda with Stevia ,something small on your part and casually throwing out pesticide laden potatoes and pasta etc for the whole family as well. However as you do feel that they should not suffer too much you also make them some nice locarb treats to recompense them for your "health nut craze".

[SIZE="1"CMy journal : http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...626-50-go.html

Everything and nothing is poison. The amount alone decides whether it becomes a poison or not -Paracelsus[/SIZE]
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea View Post
My ten year stays low carb most of the time. He eats a lot of cheeseburgers. Eggs for breakfast. Deli meat or devil eggs for snacks. He also loves veggies and mayo dip.
But, if he goes to a party and they serve pizza, he eats that.
He only drinks water.
My children are grown now but this is how I would handle it if I had it to do again.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
My son is 10.5 and I wish he wanted to do LC! But it is hard. Lower carb/low glycemic is our goal for him for now. He's overweight and sees his pediatrician every three months for a weight check and we have seen a nutritionist several times. He is eating substituions just fine without even knowing. I need to work on our summer plans as he will bring lunch to summer camp every day, whereas in the school year he buys school lunches. I buy Sara Lee 80 Calories & Delightful hot dog and hamburger buns (8-9 net carbs each) Sara Lee 45 Calories & Delightful bread (also low net carbs), La Tortilla Factory low carb tortillas (3 net carbs). I let him eat Atkins bars on occassion. I let him drink splenda, erythritol or stevia sweetened beverages. He's maintained his weight for about 3 months and his BMI has gone down as he's gotten a bit taller, so I agree maintaining weight is a big accomplishment at this age. We don't necessarily want him to lose weight but stay where he's at. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 06-01-2013 at 06:24 AM..
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shespeaks
Stats: 5'2" & 42
WOE: Atkins-based LC, "eating to my meter" for Diabetes
Start Date: Restart 8/4/2014 - 207/192.5/135
Focusing on nutrition instead of weight loss will help you both make good decisions. If it's full of chemicals or simple carbs, is it really fueling the body properly? When the body is properly fueled the weight loss will come.

Having a treat now and then - but ONLY now and then - is something we should all have learned how to do. Some of us never learned, others of us forgot. It's a good lesson for children and adults alike.
shespeaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:45 AM   #10

I make pizza for lunch with oppsie rolls. If he eats hamburgers or hotdogs, he does it without a bun. If we go to mcdonalds he gets a double big Mac, takes out the middle bread. No fries no soda.
Remember, you are in control at home, so start there. Make lc meals. It takes two minutes to make an omlette with cheese in the morning. I make piles of bacon, it is always available. Sugar free jello. Berries and heavy cream. Linda sues white castle hamburger pie.
There are so many options. Make one change at a time. They add up.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: halos
Stats: (275)256/240/140
Start Date: 9/24/2013
Just getting "lower" carb may help him. If he is a big bread eater I would buy LC bread or tortillas. Get some romaine lettuce it has nice big leaves for lettuce wraps.

Definitely do some LC snacky stuff. Mostly I would wait and see what he has trouble with and buy according to what he is missing most.

By the way, minute muffins made in a bowl instead of a cup can be sliced in half and toasted. Add a little butter or cream cheese and you have a great substitute for your morning toast.
halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #12

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I'm not a parent but I often have a couple of lowish carb kids over for meals.

I always set out a veggie tray with a couple of dips--- hummus, salsa, or ranch. And then I'll do a fruit bowl or platter with lower GI fruits, heavy on the berries. or sometimes just strawberries. They all love blueberries,too.
And a meat platter, sometimes with cheese.
Any of these would be great to pack for lunches.

Oven-fried chicken drumsticks breaded w/a mixture of almond flour, pork rinds, and parmesan. and the leftovers are good cold for lunches. Or grilled chicken parts with an italian dressing type of marinade.

Fried pepperoni instead of crackers or chips.

FOr breakfasts, one guy loves sausage links with fried cauliflower. Two other ones won't touch the cauliflower, but they like the sausages. I cook extra sausages for them to have for snacks that day.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PoetJess
Stats: 275/223/150
Start Date: 4-4-2012
You guys have some great suggestions! I might actually have to go to the Recipe Room now...my typical meals are pretty uncreative...eggs, turkey or roast beef slices, cheese, and steak. But I've been stalling, so this change will be good for both him AND me!

Someone said something about body image, and that's so where I'm at on this. I grew up with a borderline anorexic mother, and I had/have a much different body type than her. I was always on some sort of diet and heard awful things ("You must really need to lose weight if you can't lay down in bed without wheezing." We were on vacation in Virginia and it was really humid...turns out it was asthma. Thanks, Mom.) I refuse to let my kids grow up like that, so they've never heard me say one bad thing about my body or theirs. When DS brings up his concerns, I always tell him that he's fine but if *he* is not feeling good about the way he looks, we can figure something out together.
PoetJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #14

I eat hamburgers, maybe a steak once or twice a week. I am the most boring eater ever! So, I really had to learn a lot of lc to get my son interested.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:16 AM   #15

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
And for a treat---
black bean brownies.

Here's one recipe....
1 whole can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 eggs, beaten
3 squares of unsweetened baker's chocolate, melted
1 cup granulated Splenda
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp instant coffee powder, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

smoosh everything but the walnuts in a food processor or blender. add nuts. bake 350 for 35-40 min. 8x8 pan, line it with foil and then spray the foil with pan spray. 1/8 of a batch is 12.8 carbs, 5.2 g fiber, 7.6 net carbs

and Caroline F's recipe from LCF awhile back. http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...nies-cake.html

But I tweak that one quite a bit, and I believe the first recipe is lower in carbs. One good thing about the 2nd recipe is that you can use coconut oil in place of the butter or oil, and when I add extra chocolate, I make the chocolate out of coconut oil and cocoa.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetJess View Post
My son is 11 and is struggling with his weight. I have told him that he just needs to wait for a growth spurt and handle his portions, but he is still very frustrated. All school year, he's wanted to do LC with me, and I've said no because it's too hard to do lunches, birthday parties, etc. while on LC (especially for a kid...I mean I'm 34 and it can be tough for ME). But all the while, I've been stuck with my advice to him...knowing that what I'm telling him isn't what I believe. (Like eat a piece of fruit, or have some Special K). Honestly, I've been torn with what to do.

School ended today and I told him if he wanted to try LC with me, he could. My question is, since he's a kid, should I buy the LC substitutions? I don't buy any of that for myself...I do it clean...but maybe it would make it easier for him?

What do you think? And if I do, what are some basics of what I should get?
I would keep it simple and stay natural. Examples of options:

Breakfasts: veggie omelet, uncured bacon, mini quiche muffins
Lunches: turkey roll-ups, chicken vegetable soup, taco salad, chicken wings
Dinners: baked/broiled/grilled/fried meat or seafood, side of non-starchy veggies, salad w dressing
snacks my 2yo niece and 4yo nephew love: fresh green beans, cherry tomatoes, lunch meat roll-ups, string cheese, raw veggies w dip, roasted veggie kabobs, hard-boiled or deviled eggs, pickles
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
He may be a little old for the story, but the book "Eat like a dinosaur" has great, kid friendly Paleo recipes. They are not necessarily low carb but they are certainly lower carb and healthful. If he eats healthfully and stays active, weightloss will follow.

I would steer clear of some of the low carb food traps we adults can fall into--Frankenfoods, artificial sweeteners, and polyunsaturated oils. Kids don't need that. Your own approach of simple foods makes much more sense. Skip fake breads and pizzas, concentrate on real whole foods.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
Does he still drink soda? Juice? When my son was 14 he dropped soda and dropped 10 pounds in a month. Also, i agree with everyone here to keep it clean and find things the whole family will enjoy. Maybe he will learn to cook with you!
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janknitz View Post
He may be a little old for the story, but the book "Eat like a dinosaur" has great, kid friendly Paleo recipes. They are not necessarily low carb but they are certainly lower carb and healthful. If he eats healthfully and stays active, weightloss will follow.

I would steer clear of some of the low carb food traps we adults can fall into--Frankenfoods, artificial sweeteners, and polyunsaturated oils. Kids don't need that. Your own approach of simple foods makes much more sense. Skip fake breads and pizzas, concentrate on real whole foods.
For me it's about "pick your poison". I agree a paleo or primal diet would be most healthful for just about everyone. But I cannot do a low carb paleo/primal diet at this time. It would be too much depravation for me. So in order to regain my health and lose weight I choose to use artifical sweeteners and eat some processed foods that help make this a workable lifestyle. My 10 year old son is carb addicted. It's my fault, of course, but when he was underweight for the first two years of his life I just wanted him to eat, and I didn't know that we should be eating low carb (I was more into "traditional foods" at that point, which emphasized specially treated whole grains). Unlike the OP's son, my son is not ready to completely lose the sweets and treats. So I choose to let him have some artificial sweeteners rather than sugar. For us, sugar is much more dangerous than using artifical sweeteners. If the OP's child is willing to give up sugar and all sweet treats, more power to him. But even I can't do that yet, so I can't ask my child to.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: DownSizin'
Stats: 282/261/ now 242/170 5'10"
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: restarted 7/15/13
My daughter is soon to be 11 years old and has been "chunky" since she was a baby. She's been vocal about her displeasure about her weight, so we decided to go lower carb. We ditched most of the sugary crap from her diet.

For breakfast, I cook the OMM recipe with almond flour as a pancake and sometimes a couple of eggs. Sometimes, eggs and sausage will do for breakfast. She is starting to eat smaller servings and asking me to cook less for breakfast. I cook all of the above in EVCO.

Instead of fruit cups, apple sauce, pudding, etc. in her lunch box, she takes a romaine salad sprinkled with almond slivers and real bacon bits and Ceasar dressing on the side. She takes either a sandwich (with full fat, real cheese, mayo and lunch meat) or leftovers from dinner the night before in a hot thermos. I also pack a cheese stick and a thermos of 2% milk, as that is what she prefers.

Dinner is generally whatever I cook for myself, sometimes with a little of the added carbs I make for DH. More often than not, she refuses the carby stuff.

Desert used to be a nightly affair. Now desert is a rare treat, usually a milk shake or some other delight while out on the town. I don't buy sweets anymore. Once in awhile, she'll have a pb2 fat bomb with me, which is super decadent.

While her carb levels are definitely much higher than most here, it generally falls somewhere under 100 grams a day. Somedays, it's much lower, somedays higher. Such is life. I figure she is growing and not metabolically damaged like me.

While we don't make an issue of actual weight on the scale or even take measurements, she has had some really nice NSV's. Today, she put on a little pillow case style dress I made for her a couple of years ago. I had put it into the Good Will bag, but then pulled it out to stuff into the Memories bag. It was way to tight during the summer. Today she snatched it out of the bag and put it on and it fit like a dream. You should have seen her smile

She still eats sugary crap at school when the teacher hands out treats (which I wish she wouldn't do) or someone brings in cupcakes for a birthday. She will tell me about it on the way home from school. It just amazes me how cutting out all of the "healthy" snack stuff I used to put in her lunches and having her eat salads and stay away from sugar most of the time has really helped her lose some circumference and feel better about herself.

She also goes out to play most evenings these days, whereas before she would sit inside on the internet or watching tv. I think her eating has influenced her energy for the better. I am pleased and you can see she is so happy!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #21

I do my best to feed James low carb, but I never make it an issue.
He loves hard salami and nuts as a snack.
Andrew who is ten likes devil eggs, salami, bacon, cheese...white castle hamburger pie or crustless quiche would be good for lunch. Or deli meat to dip in mayo.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:09 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
Downsizin,
I am happy to hear about your daughter. Just a thought.... for lunch, I prefer both turkey roll-ups and lettuce wraps in place of sandwiches. Leftover chicken cut into strips (with or without dipping sauce) in a ziplock with a coldpack are also an option. Does she like tuna or salmon? If so, the pouches might also be useful options.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote