Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Children's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/childrens-health/)
-   -   Best way to treat eczema in kids? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/childrens-health/792770-best-way-treat-eczema-kids.html)

bobbi 01-03-2013 06:34 PM

Best way to treat eczema in kids?

My son has a touch of this, though it is rare that I see any indication. Lately, it has been showing more on his body. Does anyone have a good lotion or potion to use on it? Also, he has been taking more bubble baths lately - would that be aggravating it? If so, are there any other bubble alternatives to use - or just no bubbles? He usually takes a lot of showers but loves his bubble baths.

TIA,
bobbi

Heab 01-03-2013 06:52 PM

My kids have it so bad they only bathe once or twice a week. Pat dry, and put lotion on while still damp. They lotion once or twice a day depending on how dry it is. We also use soap with no fragrance. When it gets really bad we use olive oil instead of lotion.

Mystic 01-03-2013 06:54 PM

My daughter's pediatrician said to use cortisone cream and then as a daily thing after a bath/shower, to use Cetaphil lotion.

Just saw a commercial for a new product from Neosporin that is for eczema. May try that next since I'm just about out of cortisone cream.

bobbi 01-03-2013 07:16 PM

Wow Heab - that sucks.

I'm mad at myself because i had a bottle of expensive eczema lotion ($10) that I threw out. I was cleaning out my cabinets and he hadn't used it in a long time and hadn't had any dryness that I just threw it out because I didn't like it for myself.

You guys think the bubble baths could be irritating it?

greybb1 01-03-2013 07:36 PM

No bubble baths or baths at all. Short showers in tepid water, not hot. Try not to use soap on the affected areas. Look online for some oil rubs you can make for him. They usually involve olive oil.

Just tell him as soon as it goes away he can take his bubble baths again!

Purple Sage 01-03-2013 08:02 PM

I have eczema and my nieces and nephews and one of my kids have it. We had noticed a pattern that everyone gets it in the winter, when we are covered up more and not in the sun so much....also the doctor recommended treating mine with UV therapy - what amounts to a VERY high priced tanning bed in the doctors office. I got curious and started doing research and found out that some dermatologists believe it is related to a vitamin D deficiency, started taking mega doses of vitamin D - 3000IU for myself per day and 800IU for the kids per day and for 2 winters now we have had no eczema - a total of 8 people have responded to this exact treatment...worth a shot!

Potaty 01-03-2013 08:06 PM

steroid creams only suppress it and then it can manifest as asthma, I would not use them.

Definitely switch to scent/dye free soaps, no bubble baths, good probiotic, vitamin D3, and a lotion called CeraVe. It is available behind pharmacy counters but does not require a prescription.

lkim 01-03-2013 08:18 PM

No bubble bath. Olive oil after. It breathes which baby oil does not. Biotin cream is good too. No soap. Unless he is dirty just baths two or three times a week. Trader Joe's sells clean shampoos with no sodium lauryl sulfites or whatever.

and no bubbles in the bath is huge. You're just drying him out

killerblues 01-03-2013 08:30 PM

I've had several kids on my caseload with this issue and many have tried gluten free diets with great results.

Mimosa23 01-04-2013 12:34 AM

From personal experience, I would try the following:

wheat and sugar free diet, at best a low carb diet, with lots of fats.
Olive oil on skin
Soap free washes only
Sunshine/ vit D3
Seawater/salt baths once a week once skin is not broken (it hurts otherwise)

KeirasMom 01-04-2013 10:43 AM

One thing I haven't seen already mentioned is, in addition to scent/dye free body soaps, use scent/dye free laundry detergent as well. My daughter's eczema acts up whenever she uses towels or wears clothing that has been laundered with "regular" detergent.

jenericstewart 02-25-2013 06:53 AM

I have eczema. What takes mine away is applying true apple cider vinegar to the affected area. Just, like, maybe 1/4 t on a small spot. It burns, though. I don't know about putting it on a young child. Maybe dilute it (?).

Cortisone cream works, but that's stuff's not good for you.

Stardust 03-06-2013 05:03 AM

One thing that worked great with my eldest was porridge oats! In the bath though, not eating them lol.

It was recommended to us by a lady who was doing my then partners laser tattoo removal and said it was really effective for her. My son got it on inside of elbows and behind his knees.

I would use a muslin wrap / square and put a few handfuls of oats in the middle (just cheap generic ones from the supermarket) and I would then wrap it up and secure with an elastic band. Then while the bath was running I would leave it floating in the hot water, giving it an occasional squeeze. It would make the water go cloudy.

Then when he was in the bath would gently press the bag against the bits that were sore, it would feel a bit slimey but easily rinsed away.

It really helped take away the itchiness and redness. I don't know if it actually cures it or just soothes it but just using a couple of times a week in the bath really helped with my son.

tttmom 03-23-2013 10:55 AM

I have read a lot of information lately that there is a very strong link between many skin conditions, vitamin D deficiency and gluten intolerance. The link being that gluten destroys the gut so badly that many vitamins and minerals are not being absorbed, therefore causing not only deficiencies (vit D) but also major inflammation in the body, resulting in a varietly of different skin problems. Just something to check out if interested :)

Speck333 03-23-2013 11:03 AM

I really think this is something that needs to be treated from within rather than topically. Like others have mentioned, I've read numerous accounts of people successfully ridding or reducing their (or their kids') skin problems by eliminating wheat and sugars from their diet. In some cases, it's almost immediate, in others, it takes several weeks.

OH, and I'd use coconut oil topically. It seems to work on everything else!

snowdancer79 04-05-2013 05:22 AM

My 11 year old DD has severe eczema all over her body. It's the worst on her hands and feet, where her skin is so damaged it flakes, cracks, and bleeds constantly. Her pediatrician keeps prescribing her steroid creams that don't do anything. We finally got a referral to the Children's Hospital in Denver the end of this month. I decided to have her try to eat (relatively) gluten free, and she's been doing pretty well with it, but I haven't seen any change in her skin. It's very frustrating for her because appearances are starting to matter, and her hands and feet embarrass her.

coffeelover 04-07-2013 06:37 AM

My son has it and we were told by the derm to take a daily short shower, pat dry and put the cortisone cream on. He said that the shower would soften the spots and allow the cream to work more effectively. We also find applying Jojoba oil to the areas to be effective for mild flare-ups.

That is so interesting about the Vit. D link. He is the family member that is the least out-doorsy. Must start him on supplements right away.

CK31040 01-12-2014 06:37 AM

I see this is an older thread but wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I found a really good website by searching "solve eczema" on google. There are a lot of good first hand suggestions on the site. In our household we mostly eliminated detergents and it seemed to help some. I personally couldn't give up my shampoo since I dye my hair all the time but i feel better about my clothes, dishes, soap, and water softener being detergent free. Its good food for thought if you are looking for different things to try.