Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Dark Gypsy
Stats: 148/135/129
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: March 2008
Kids are low carb 1/2 the time-good or really bad?

If you have kids going between 2 households-one low carb and the other no, what is the effect? I don't want my kids to be consuming extra fat/calories in my household which will result in negative side effects because they do eat a significant amount of carbs in the other.

I thought at least being "lower carb" over all would be good, but maybe not...Anyone with any experience/knowledge?

PS, I try to sneak in low carb subs when I can for them--low carb waffles, Dreamfields, pork rind coating, carb chopper tortillas...
Dark Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
BloodSugar101 has information on this and her take on it is that high fat is indeed dangerous when people eat over 150 grams of carbs a day. that could be less for a child's metabolism, of course. I would say you have reason to be concerned and should probably take a med carb/med fat approach for them if they will be high carbing part of every week.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Reducing carbs is never a bad thing even if it is only a portion of the time. Over all it is a reduction and that is a good thing in my opinion.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
It never hurts an older child's metabolism to be given a break from sugar and starch, from all I have read. Their carbohydrate needs, especially the younger subset (2-8 year olds), are higher than an adult or older child, but even then, getting them sourced with fat from whole foods is a better idea than highly processed sugar and grains.

I wouldn't switch them between a ketogenic diet and a SAD diet, that is rough on the body. But just serving them nutritionally dense veggies, fresh fruit in moderation, cheese and meat for main courses? Good stuff!

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
I wouldn't switch them between a ketogenic diet and a SAD diet, that is rough on the body. But just serving them nutritionally dense veggies, fresh fruit in moderation, cheese and meat for main courses? Good stuff!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Can you have a sit down with the ex and let him know that they are on a gluten free diet?! (Most everyone has heard of this its all over the place now days) You don't have to explain all of you dietary choices, just a simple breakdown.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
I vote that it's a good thing. I see any decrease in carbs as a plus. There are low carb diets that include carb days.

Quote:
BloodSugar101 has information on this and her take on it is that high fat is indeed dangerous when people eat over 150 grams of carbs a day.
She may be right, but there are two things to note.

1. I know of no good studies that show that high carb/high fat is bad. We have few enough good studies on low carb alone. We just don't know what happens to this level of detail.

2. Are the kids eating high carb and high fat at the same time? If not, Ruhl's arguments may not apply.
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lioness0455
Stats: 256.5/170/125
Start Date: 1/3/07
This is just my own personal experience, but after my husband's brother had a heart attack and double by-pass about 3 years ago, we had our arteries checked out for calcium. At that point in time, I'd been low carb for 3 years and he'd been eating "lower" carb. While it wasn't the type of bouncing described in this thread, he didn't (and still doesn't) eat as low in carbs as I do. His tests came out "very good" and mine were "excellent."

Most low carbers have metabolic issues and as such we tend to forget that if your metabolism works properly, then carbs are not a problem. They are only problematic when your body doesn't react to insulin the way it's supposed to. My husband's blood sugar NEVER goes over 100 no matter what he eats, including cane sugar.

The problem with the typical diet isn't necessarily the carbs, but "what" most people eat.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't give a normal-weight child a low-carb diet, but under your circumstances (where the kids are getting excess carbs and calories elsewhere), I think they need to eat low carb at home in order to get the protein and nutrients they need to grow properly.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness0455 View Post
This is just my own personal experience, but after my husband's brother had a heart attack and double by-pass about 3 years ago, we had our arteries checked out for calcium. At that point in time, I'd been low carb for 3 years and he'd been eating "lower" carb. While it wasn't the type of bouncing described in this thread, he didn't (and still doesn't) eat as low in carbs as I do. His tests came out "very good" and mine were "excellent."

Most low carbers have metabolic issues and as such we tend to forget that if your metabolism works properly, then carbs are not a problem. They are only problematic when your body doesn't react to insulin the way it's supposed to. My husband's blood sugar NEVER goes over 100 no matter what he eats, including cane sugar.

The problem with the typical diet isn't necessarily the carbs, but "what" most people eat.
Ordinarily, I wouldn't give a normal-weight child a low-carb diet, but under your circumstances (where the kids are getting excess carbs and calories elsewhere), I think they need to eat low carb at home in order to get the protein and nutrients they need to grow properly.
While I do think this is true, I do think that the constant overload of a diet too high in carbohydrate will erode a normal functioning body and some faster than others. This generation of children are going to be challenged like none other due to the excess and greatly refined carbs that are everywhere and impossible to avoid.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I do my best to keep my older son low carb. I do all the grocery shopping, so that is a big help. But, my husband eats carbs, so they may go out to eat together and eat pizza. He eats carbs at his friend's houses too.
But, it is not like he is high fat either. Today, he had an omlette with cheese for breakfast. Hamburgers for dinner. Probably some ham and cheese for lunch. He has veggies for snacks or cheese. That is a good day.
Last night he did have ribs for dinner, but then grandma took him out for ice cream.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:40 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamabear6
Stats: 145/140/120 (previously 175/115)
WOE: LC/VLC
Start Date: Forever ago and still going
I wonder about this too, but I figure I've been feeding my daughter well since birth so her metabolism is pretty awesome. She eats breakfast and lunch at school and she is only 6 1/2 but knows what the better options are since we've had talks about it. She knows to choose the other option besides cereal for breakfast, and that I expect her to take a fruit and vegetable with her lunch(they only require the children to take one or the other). At home we don't have starchy carbs for dinner unless I make sushi, then hubby and her have some rice.
Unless your children have metabolic problems or are inactive I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure they have a good balance and their nutritional needs are met. I hope their dad is making sure they get their vegetables and protein! In my humble opinion without knowing a ton about their diets either way, I think it's better for them to be low-to-moderate carb while they are with you than not at all.
mamabear6 is offline   Reply With Quote