Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Children's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

WOE: Healthy Low Carb
Taking their lunch to school...

Thought this might be a good idea to share our ideas. The triplets take their lunch everyday, so I know I could use some new ideas.

here are a few we have done so far:

pepperoni/cheese cubes
broccoli w/ranch
always a thermos of ice water

ham/creamcheese/pickle rollups
mandarine oranges

hotdogs
veggie "chips" w/ranch

leftovers

chicken strips w/marinara
salad

tuna pasta salad

I look forward to hearing ideas.....
Its me - WENDALINA is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tracy210T
Stats: 194/163/150
WOE: Atkins, baby!
Oh my dear lord, triplet girls!

I have 2 girls left at home and they take their lunches all week. My youngest buys cafeteria pizza on friday only.

We keep two gallons of Crystal Lite made up (we mix and match all kinds of crazy flavors) and the girls have their favorite thermoses. Since my kids are not (currently) overweight Im a little more slack on them than me. They take lunchables, but only the ones with cheese, ham, turkey and crackers.. none with the juices, smoothies or candies. We keep a bowl of black grapes and strawberries, sometimes watermellon in the fridge and they take those. ....bananas..walmart has the little carrot packs with ranch that we like..turkey breast and cream cheese rollups..we like PB&J sandwiches, but only on the whole wheat "Rounds"... mozzerala cheese sticks, dry cheerios, and red and green apples..sometimes the plan 100 calorie pack pringles are good too.
Tracy210T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

oh and my 14 year old loves homemade salads. They each have several small ice packs and she will pack a salad w/ ham, cheese, tom's, cukes and full fat ranch in a little bowl, packed in ice packs and will include sandwich bags of grapes on the side...
Old 08-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Tracy!

Good ideas for the salad... my girls absolutely love salad and I hadnt thought of that. We kinda do our own version of lunchables - I bake chicken or whatever left over meat and pack some cheese cubes or string cheese and a couple of triscuits..... never a dull moment though I tell ya! They dont eat at school, but on friday I do give them money for icecream and that seems to be ok with them. Actually, the other kids are starting to like our food and try to sneek bites from the girls lunches eh whaddaya do?
Old 08-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

see... we love leftover ham, turkey, chicken or roast beef, cold.. on salads and for sandwiches or in the LC wraps.. perfect grab and go snack!

Oh, do your kids like egg salad, tuna salad, turkey salad..?
I usually keep this stuff made up too.. great over a large tomatoe or a salad or in a wrap and totally LC.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vjsibley
WOE: dont have a clue, in research mode.
These are great ideas, my son just came home and told me he is done with this free lunch program here and he wants a lunch box and normal food! I'm just so proud of him and only 11 to boot His report of the food just floors me, breakfast at (mind u he eats two,one at home and the free one at school, at home its yogurt laced with organic granola of his choice, vanilla soy milk, fruit, and sometimes salt rising toast) school breakfast consists of sugar cereal, choc milk, cinnamon sugar grams and maybe a fruit once a week, and he couldn't even identify lunch! We just moved here from Rochester and what a huge difference! I thought oh maybe its just the first week of school chaos, nope this is just how they do things here! I told him yup baby we'll go get you a lunch box this weekend!

Last edited by vjsibley; 09-17-2012 at 03:55 PM..
vjsibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Things are going great here with lunches. The other kids want the girls lunches every day. I am very thankful that we are able to teach the girls about nutrition and good food choices this early on.

Now, we have a different kink in the chain....we are going to go 90/10 grain free! Time to really get creative. I think I will be spending some time on Pinterest to get some good ideas. Thankfully its hopefully starting to cool down and they can take some warm things like soups and such in their other thermoses.

Lunch today was:
chicken salad w/grapes in it
baby carrots and cucumber slices to dip
then some homemade trail mix
thermos of ice water

Hava great day!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I keep my son low carb too. I do make some bread with coconut flour from time to time and he likes that as a treat. I usually do a salad with ham or turkey and cheese, mayo for dressing. Or ground beef with melted cheese. Snacks are rasberries right now cause they are in reason or apples. I also include bacon, salami or cheese as snacks. Water to drink.
The first few days he did not eat a lot and complained, but now he eats it all.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I think they need a few days to adjust. Everyone at school likes to see what the girls bring and of course they eat that attention right up! They are called the healthy triplets.... and I was worried they wouldnt like taking their lunch
Old 09-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lizzybme
Stats: 270/149.8/150,2011: 156/240/207/196.2 after baby
WOE: LC after baby year later
Start Date: 8/21/09, 11/6/2010 #100 lost, 149.8 3/3/2011
My son is just 10 weeks old right now but I want to feed him as real as I can. Due to medication and my health problem after birth I couldn't breast feed him more than 12 days. He is on soy based formula right now due to milk intolerance.
I know that I don't even want to start with cereal.
But what should I start with???
lizzybme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ChristineP
Stats: 198/182/140
WOE: South Beach Diet
Start Date: 09/10/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsibley View Post
These are great ideas, my son just came home and told me he is done with this free lunch program here and he wants a lunch box and normal food! I'm just so proud of him and only 11 to boot His report of the food just floors me, breakfast at (mind u he eats two,one at home and the free one at school, at home its yogurt laced with organic granola of his choice, vanilla soy milk, fruit, and sometimes salt rising toast) school breakfast consists of sugar cereal, choc milk, cinnamon sugar grams and maybe a fruit once a week, and he couldn't even identify lunch! We just moved here from Rochester and what a huge difference! I thought oh maybe its just the first week of school chaos, nope this is just how they do things here! I told him yup baby we'll go get you a lunch box this weekend!

Vjsibley, you can get involved in your kids’ school nutrition services

I did… and then I found a group in my area “Nutrition in the Schools” (it’s local) that helped me out with getting the word across

Our school breakfast offerings included, deep fried french toast sticks, funnel cake and those sausages dipped in pancake batter and deep fried with a little cup of syrup to dip in (not an exaggeration)

The healthy options were next to nothing and lunches weren’t much better
They now serve mini pancakes once a week, and the rest of the week are high fiber cereals and scrambled eggs

We’re still working on lunch

A typical week’s offerings are Nachos w/ taco meat, served with corn, hot ham & cheese on a pretzel roll, served with sweet potato fries, popcorn chicken (which according to my Daughter is barely even chicken) with “seasoned mixed vegetables” (ugh) and Max Sticks (which is a really big, thick breadstick that is stuffed w/ cheese and served with overly sweet “pizza sauce” AND a serving of pasta

My biggest issue is the fact that there are children in our school district who rely on these meals as their main sustenance, and we’re giving them stuff that’s not much better than McDonalds

I actually got push-back from other parents at a hearing, because we’re “trying to re-invent school lunches for a small minority of children”
REALLY?

My answer was that this is NOT for a small minority of children, it may be a small minority that RELIES on these meals, but each and every one of our children who eat school meals DESERVES to be fed well balanced, nutritious meals, that arent’ deep fried, breaded, canned and packed in sugar syrup!

Oops, sorry let me get off my soap box

My kid packs, gets pizza at school every other week

She likes salads (all kinds leafy or chicken salad, anything but tuna) fruit Kebabs, isn’t a fan of sandwiches, so I just pack pieces of leftover grilled chicken or roast turkey
Pretty much whatever leftover meat from the night before, she’s happy to have cold for lunch the next day with a piece of fruit and a drink. (I do give her a juice box a couple times a week, it’s a treat for her)
I started her early eating like that though, she’s 13 and there are some kids who have made fun of her for eating cold turkey meatloaf… and she then looks at what they have on their lunch tray and says “I’d rather eat this than THAT!”
ChristineP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: rosethorns
Stats: 252/140/150
WOE: atkins I eat non allergic food
Start Date: restarted 1-07
lizzybme I wouldn't give him cereal. Look for somethng else. Let me think about it.

My kids are in there late 30's. So let me see if I can remember what I made for them. I didn't want them to have too much sugar.

Cottage cheese in little cups with fresh fruit.
I use to make mini pizza for them out of good things.
Homemade hot pocket or calazones made healthy for that time.
salmon , cream cheese dip w/ veggie sticks

Let me think some more.
rosethorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
My son is 6 months, egg yolks were his first food. Then soft pieces of ground beef. He has tried a few vegetables, but does not really enjoy them. So far, meat, eggs, and cheese make up his diet.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Just wondering if anyone has any hot lunch ideas. I have the girls these rectangle thermos things and I can fit left overs in there but I was looking for something filling warm and healthy now that the weather is cooling down a bit.

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: girl81
Stats: past/100/healthy
WOE: unprocessed
spinach quiche
broccoli cheese casserole
chicken wings
omelet
homemade fish sticks/patties
homemade chicken fingers
spaghetti squash in meat sauce
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
I'm late getting in on this, but I've just been noticing some things about my five year old and always trying to get him to cut out the sugary foods. Unfortunately, I don't think his teachers push foods the way I do. I should reword that. They don't put foods in the same order of importance that I do. I teach my children to eat their protein because then they will be able to play all day. Lately, my son's lunch box is returning with his protein still in it. He's had a cold so I'm trying to chalk it up to that, but still I've noticed him crying for sugar. He's very smart, but it actually sounds like he's got a problem. I need to do better on my end, so I'm reading up on it. I'm just looking for ways to help him in this area. At one point I was working less than 20 hours a week and able to bento healthy lunches. I thought making them prettier would help him. My efforts were wasted. Sometimes I would send him with just a tiny cup of peanut butter and a spoon and string cheese. Then yogurt and a few fruits and one veggie. He's stopped eating his fruits and vegetables. What I've made this week is egg and cheese bagels. I feel better about this and want to try him on bagel thins next week. I'm using white mini bagels for now. I also send cubed watermelon and he eats strawberries but last time I gave him some from TJ's and he refused them after one bite. I don't usually put a sweet treat in there. In fact, it's really weird for me to do that, other than chocolate milk which I portion out about 4 ounces of. I don't like white milk either, so I let that one slide. Oh, but he will have white milk in cereal, which is the only way I have it, too. He eats oatmeal for breakfast most mornings. He only eats sliced American cheese which drives me nuts. I guess I'm just looking for something he will find really special, when really it will cut his...possible addiction...

Read me
And also...
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Potaty
Stats: 227high/227now/150goal
WOE: LC + Exercise
Start Date: July 2013 (this time, LOL)
Have you tried making shapes out of the food? I know it is so time consuming but it might get him interested enough to start eating. Pinterest has a lot of ideas if you are on there....things like the hot dog octopus, the "hatching chick" deviled eggs....

I also found hardboiled egg molds at Williams Sonoma that shapes the cooked eggs into animals.
Potaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: bacon bit
Stats: 201/137.2/135 5'2"/33 yrs
WOE: Moving up the Induction ladder
Start Date: May 2011
Yes, I have. I got so involved in Bento making, it's on my blog. I wasn't great, but got better. I still do their sandwiches that way, when I make them.
bacon bit is offline   Reply With Quote