Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Health Support Groups > Children's Health
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Whooping Cough vaccine

There has been a lot of whooping cough going around. The CDC recommends parents and caregivers of young children get the vaccine. My grandson spends lots of time with me (I'm so lucky!) so I will be getting it. I actually had wc a few years ago. I was shocked as were all my friends. I thought it was pretty much eradicated.
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Psmileyf
Stats: 215/193 on WW/174since LC Aug 1st/166
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/1/2011
I've heard of a few people getting it lately too.

My family and I all got the vaccine when my daughter was born 3 years ago. I tend to be pretty anti-vax but this is one I think is really important.
Psmileyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
From what I have read, 75% of people who have gotten the whopping cough in the last several years were vaccinated. But I know that you can't believe everything you read on the internet

We tend to be anti-vaccine around here. I read too much.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: megansmom39
Stats: 249/223/130
WOE: Mixed
Start Date: 5/29/2012
Working in the medical field, I can tell you diseases like whooping cough , t.b., and other diseases we had almost eradicated have made a come back due to the influx of illegal immigrants coming into to the country .This is because in poorer countries they don't vaccinate or screen for them. Then the strains they carry vary from country to country, so it's hard to keep up with our vaccines and treatments.
Legal immigrants are required to have the vaccinations and other health test so don't think I am bashing anyone.
megansmom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: debkeversole
Stats: 370/343/199
WOE: 8/29/11 R9P2 HCG diet
Start Date: 10-8-09
my son was vaccinated for it had every vaccine he was supposed to and had no exposure to immigrants illegal or otherwise and still came down with it at 14 i just do not know anymore
my DH and i were vaccinated in the 70s(born in 68) and seems like maybe those vaccines were longer lasting?? cause we were certainly exposed to it when Kenny had it and never got even a hint of it
debkeversole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Katy
Stats: 299/279/150
WOE: Primal Blueprint 80/20
Start Date: Restart 12/29/13 at 290.5 lbs
For a long time they were not having people get a whooping cough booster after childhood. I've looked on my shot record. At 17 I got a shot that was just tetanus and diptheria but when I went in at 27 for a tetanus booster I got the full tetanus, diptheria and pertussis shot. A lot of adults aren't getting the pertussis shot and the immunity apparently wears off. Or at least that's what I have heard. My son is fully vaccinated and I hope he never gets it. My husband is my main worry. He refuses to get a check up even though we have health insurance and I went in for a physical recently. I don't know when his last vaccine was
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Annabelle
Got mine today and hubby goes tomorrow. It's not terrible in adults but babies can catch it easily as well as the elderly.
Annabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vjsibley
WOE: dont have a clue, in research mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabelle View Post
There has been a lot of whooping cough going around. The CDC recommends parents and caregivers of young children get the vaccine. My grandson spends lots of time with me (I'm so lucky!) so I will be getting it. I actually had wc a few years ago. I was shocked as were all my friends. I thought it was pretty much eradicated.
I too had it a couple years ago, got it when I was watching my friends baby who was too young to get the shot, lucky us, everyone we knew caught it. My doc was like, you should have gotten a booster shot, and I was like, then why didn't you tell me this, lol. She said oh well you don't have to worry about it now, your naturally boostered. So what is the recommend booster schedule? I don't have med coverage anymore, so if this is going around again, I sure don't want to go through that again, that was horrible!
vjsibley is offline   Reply With Quote