Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Children's Health (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/childrens-health/)
-   -   Whooping Cough vaccine (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/childrens-health/779892-whooping-cough-vaccine.html)

Annabelle 08-03-2012 07:41 PM

Whooping Cough vaccine

There has been a lot of whooping cough going around. The CDC recommends parents and caregivers of young children get the vaccine. My grandson spends lots of time with me (I'm so lucky!) so I will be getting it. I actually had wc a few years ago. I was shocked as were all my friends. I thought it was pretty much eradicated.

Psmileyf 08-04-2012 04:59 AM

I've heard of a few people getting it lately too.

My family and I all got the vaccine when my daughter was born 3 years ago. I tend to be pretty anti-vax but this is one I think is really important.

cfine 08-06-2012 05:41 AM

From what I have read, 75% of people who have gotten the whopping cough in the last several years were vaccinated. But I know that you can't believe everything you read on the internet :)

We tend to be anti-vaccine around here. I read too much.

megansmom39 08-06-2012 12:04 PM

Working in the medical field, I can tell you diseases like whooping cough , t.b., and other diseases we had almost eradicated have made a come back due to the influx of illegal immigrants coming into to the country .This is because in poorer countries they don't vaccinate or screen for them. Then the strains they carry vary from country to country, so it's hard to keep up with our vaccines and treatments.
Legal immigrants are required to have the vaccinations and other health test so don't think I am bashing anyone.

debkeversole 08-06-2012 12:12 PM

my son was vaccinated for it had every vaccine he was supposed to and had no exposure to immigrants illegal or otherwise and still came down with it at 14:annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed: i just do not know anymore
my DH and i were vaccinated in the 70s(born in 68) and seems like maybe those vaccines were longer lasting?? cause we were certainly exposed to it when Kenny had it and never got even a hint of it

Katy 08-06-2012 11:47 PM

For a long time they were not having people get a whooping cough booster after childhood. I've looked on my shot record. At 17 I got a shot that was just tetanus and diptheria but when I went in at 27 for a tetanus booster I got the full tetanus, diptheria and pertussis shot. A lot of adults aren't getting the pertussis shot and the immunity apparently wears off. Or at least that's what I have heard. My son is fully vaccinated and I hope he never gets it. My husband is my main worry. He refuses to get a check up even though we have health insurance and I went in for a physical recently. I don't know when his last vaccine was

Annabelle 08-07-2012 04:48 PM

Got mine today and hubby goes tomorrow. It's not terrible in adults but babies can catch it easily as well as the elderly.

vjsibley 09-17-2012 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabelle (Post 15848580)
There has been a lot of whooping cough going around. The CDC recommends parents and caregivers of young children get the vaccine. My grandson spends lots of time with me (I'm so lucky!) so I will be getting it. I actually had wc a few years ago. I was shocked as were all my friends. I thought it was pretty much eradicated.

I too had it a couple years ago, got it when I was watching my friends baby who was too young to get the shot, lucky us, everyone we knew caught it. My doc was like, you should have gotten a booster shot, and I was like, then why didn't you tell me this, lol. She said oh well you don't have to worry about it now, your naturally boostered. So what is the recommend booster schedule? I don't have med coverage anymore, so if this is going around again, I sure don't want to go through that again, that was horrible!