LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Desdemona98
Stats: 154/154/125
WOE: Primal
Start Date: still trying to start...
Kids and Paleo/Primal

So, are there any moms on here? Have you tried to feed a paleo/primal diet to your kids?

I want my son to eat said diet when he is at home, at least (daycare is pretty standard american diet stuff), but he is in a phase where he doesn't want to try anything I make. It is pretty frustrating but since I don't think a 2 year old should go without food I give him other things. He still nurses as well so at least he gets that nutrition.

He see's his dad every other weekend and his dad does not have the same views on food as me... at all.. so that does not help things out. I know he gets a lot of crap food at his dad's place. We've had the food talk numerous times, including when we were living together but he won't bend.

If anyone has experiance with this and some tips I'd be thankful! He will eat cheese, yogurt, olives, and carrots so he gets those things in bulk hehe. But, I want him to expand his horizons. He of course loves carbs.. especially bread/grainy ones and that is all he wants to eat. I don't buy it though, he is the type who would prefer to not eat than to eat something he doesn't like. So if I threatened no food he'd just shrug it off and scream to nurse every 5 minutes.
Desdemona98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM   #2
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
My son is 21 lol, and I've tried to get him to go "less processed" while he's home for the summer. Baby steps are better than nothing, though I don't know how good he'll be able to do it away at school. Their choices are pretty processed on campus.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
I'm not fat, I'm fluffy

Gallery: QueenBacon
Stats: 230/166/130
WOE: paleo eating
Start Date: Low carb living a few yrs now.. Restart Nov 2010
I have a 5yr old and a 9 month old.. let me just tell you, a kid will not starve himself!
If you give them tons of options of course they will not eat what you choose..

When my daughter was that age I'd make her sit in her highchair untill she tried it and or ate it, and there were even nights she fell asleep in the highchair. but she learned early on that if she didn't eat dinner what I made, she didnt eat and she sat in her highchair untill she ate it or untill she fell asleep there and she went to bed. After a week she atleast tried things, and atleast then I knew when she really liked or didn't like something..
Another trick I have learned is I tell her that she has tried it before and liked it, and usually she just eats it again..
Fit into my Guess Black Skinny Jeans
"i may pause, but I don't stop"
QueenBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

My son doesn't have a high chair anymore.. and I am still unpacking so we don't even have a table. Its not really helping things. This weekend while he's at his dads I am going to unpack some more and hopefully get the table setup. For a little bit I had him stay in the kitchen, but its small and crowded and I don't even like staying in there for long.

Last night I made him try my the food I made before I let him touch anything else. I let him, "graze," during the day (when he's not at daycare) since it lets him listen to his hunger cues. I read a lot of child psychology and there have been studies showing that kids who stick to strignent meals at too young of an age AND are forced to eat all of their foods no matter what have more problems with obesity when they get older because they have lost their ability to listen to their hunger cues. I want him to eat as naturally as possible both with the what and the how. So, trying to juggle those two is difficult. Graizing is "suppose," to be more natural for young kids, but on that one I'm just taking the word of Dr. Sears. I haven't read a specific study myself (small stomachs and fast metabolisms).

Since he still nurses I'm not sure how well the "no food," thing will work. I would have to cut him off from nursing and with a recent move I don't want to eliminate his favorite source of comfort yet. I think I will give him less choices though.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lauraleeor
Stats: 210/140/135
WOE: paleo
Start Date: November 2009-medifast August 2011-paleo
i have 3 kids-5, 7, 10. they eat a SAD at school and I don't restrict them at other peoples houses, etc-we talk a lot about making "good" choices.

I still buy z bars and some other snacky glutenous items but I am trying to phase it out.

they can eat fruit and veggies all day if they want but that is all. I will give them a snack of cheese or a boiled egg with apple wedges. My oldest loves meat so I will make a lot of extra burgers when I make them he will just have a patty heated up.

I don't make any pasta or bread items anymore and I rarely bake (to everyone's dismay) and my 10 year old has not lost weight but he is "cut" as you would say. He looks lean and strong. All my kids are at the 95% in height and weight and have been their whole lives--so we are not fat per se but we are meaty people I think the good choices are paying off for them.

They won't eat the way mom eats though-they think I am a nut

Laura Lee
lauraleeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

I wish my son would eat more meat I have cooked steak, ground meat, chicken, fish, shrimp (which he'll eat with breading of course, ug), etc. The only thing I can get him to eat is bacon and sausage. I pay a pretty penny to at least get him that but of course without nitrates and as little additives as possible. He'd be a happy vegiterian if I let him.

When he was little he was on the top of the charts but he's dropped since his picky stage started. I expected him to drop weight (his dad is super thin naturally) but I wish his height would stay up. Hopefully it's just a phase.

I need to take the time to make some of the kid based Ketogenic (sp?) foods I've seen. Maybe he'll eat those. He will eat coconut macaroons (the expensive raw health-nut type) so I've bought those, but I really should make them because they can be pretty bloody expensive.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lauraleeor
Stats: 210/140/135
WOE: paleo
Start Date: November 2009-medifast August 2011-paleo
will he eat a piece of cheese rolled up in turkey? does he eat burgers-for meals I have to pack I do a lot of burgers or turkey burgers and cut them up with kitchen scissors and they eat it out of a baggie! does he still eat bread? You could do a slice of ezekial bread with almond butter and a touch of honey on it.

all 3 of my kids have different tastes-one is a fruit and veggie kid-I add advocado to a lot of his stuff and he eats eggs too.

one is a veggie and meat eater, no fruit, likes boiled eggs as well.

the oldest one is all meat all the time.

Laura Lee
lauraleeor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

I tried to do the bread and peanut (this was before I read about legumes) or almond butter with him but he just wanted plain bread. He won't eat hamburger (what kid doesn't eat hamburger? ha). He has never been into advocados, but it's been a while so I think I'll try them again and try to dream up a way to make it seem good.

he doesn't eat bread at home anymore. I don't buy bread, not even gluten free since none of it is really, "that" good. I did find some rice cakes that he likes but he won't let me put anything on them. I have not bought any more. He likes olives so I buy a lot of those, the naturally cured ones not canned. He does eat cheese, but only certian brands.

I have tightend down on him with what he can and can not eat around dinner time.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Cuthbert
Stats: 265/199/200
WOE: Paleo
Start Date: December 2010
Feed him a bowl of zombie brains for breakfast (that is a diced avocado with eggs fried in coconut oil only enough to turn the whites white and then chopped up and put over the avocado. Just pour the coconut oil on top for that extra slimy texture. Great breakfast for a growing boy and if you pitch it the right way, it really looks a bit like a diced zombie brain. Some kids respond well to gross.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

hehe, I might eat that if he doesn't. I don't think he's into gross, he doesn't seem to like mixed food that often. He will sometimes eat egg salad (homemade of course) though. So maybe he'll do some zombie brains.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lileve
Stats: 221/187/120
WOE: LC - atkins my way
Start Date: new start: jan 2013.
My daughter (almost 2yrs)will eat most things anyway, but to up the enthousiasm I let her 'help' with the cooking: snapping the green beans in half, cutting up her banana, putting vegetables in the pan. It works even better if she helped pick out the foods at the market! I don't really let her handle the meat (its either raw or too hot), but she likes that anyway.
I had to stop feeding her early on cause she refused to eat if someone tried to feed her. If she still refuses something I let her eat from my plate with my fork (a bigger one than her toddler fork) and the novelty of that always gets her going too.

Good luck with the paleo feeding
Lileve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: JazzleBug
Stats: 235.7 | 216.8 | 135 @ 5'6"
WOE: HCG/Primal Blueprint/Leptin Reset
Start Date: 4/6/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
I have a 5yr old and a 9 month old.. let me just tell you, a kid will not starve himself!
If you give them tons of options of course they will not eat what you choose..

When my daughter was that age I'd make her sit in her highchair untill she tried it and or ate it, and there were even nights she fell asleep in the highchair. but she learned early on that if she didn't eat dinner what I made, she didnt eat and she sat in her highchair untill she ate it or untill she fell asleep there and she went to bed. After a week she atleast tried things, and atleast then I knew when she really liked or didn't like something..
Another trick I have learned is I tell her that she has tried it before and liked it, and usually she just eats it again..
This! We have a similar policy and it has been such a blessing for our family. Our boys eat anything now - everyday primal/paleo/low carb, ethnic food, and new things. In fact, they're always looking to try new things when we go out or if I want to try something new (the marrow bone experiment was...interesting LOL). Kids won't starve, but they will learn and reap the rewards.
JazzleBug is offline   Reply With Quote