Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tricia84
It’s so simple yet I fail! Please help

Hello all! Well here goes my story 
I’m 30, been married for 6 years and desperately want a family. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my early 20’s. Thin hair, fat belly, acne, facial hair, pain emotional roller coaster all that I will slam out of the ballpark any day and with a smile! The infertility on the other hand is a much more difficult pill to swallow.
I’ve never seemed to be able to stick with low carbing long enough to truly feel its healing ability.

There are a few rock hard facts that just keep me coming back!

1) The longest I ever did low carbing was in my teens and it was the only period in my entire life that I was able to have a menses not provoked by doctors.
2) Nothing and I mean nothing else changes the scale as quickly and steady as low carbing! I’ve been 290 and am 230 through sporadic low carbing over the last 5 years
3) All these “paleo babies” and low carb pregnancy success stories just can’t all be fake! There must be (there is) a relation to healing PCOS/ insulin resistance through denying the body unrefined carbs
4) And last is the proof… I eat a plate of carbs and will immediately feel tiered, bloated, uncomfortable, running to the bathroom and just without energy in general. On the other hand after 2 days of low carbing I feel amazing, energetic with life and desire to be productive with my time. Not to mention no more bathroom issues and any cramps/bloating is gone!

This isn’t rocket science. Eat this feel/look like crap, but eat this and life is sparkles and rainbows with hopes of babies in the future! Why Why why can’t I stick to it! I feel selfish and just low for not being able to do this for my husband and the possibility of a family! I’m well on the road to many more health issues if I don’t get the weight off. Not only for the dream of starting a family but for my own individual health low carbing seems to be as close to a cure all as I can get! It’s beyond a proven fact (ive had much blood work and test done while LC and while not LC it’s not a theory it is proven by Dr’s and myself being a witness first hand to the change) that restricting carbs immediately lessons my insulin resistant and a variety of other bothersome issues so why I can’t seem to stay with it for more than a week or so has me heart broken.

I have no support at all, and so many people around think I’m nuts. I came here looking for a group or individual to help me stay accountable. Tell me thir success stores, what helped them and what didn’t. I need support I want this so bad I can taste it….

Please help
Tricia84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/247/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
I feel for you....I've been on the on again off again journey of low carb for a while. This time I'm in it for good....I was 320+...and in a bad way. I hurt all over....could move well...swollen feet and ankles....on a path to destruction. My story may seem odd...but I'll tell you anyway...During Spring break this year, a local 8 year old was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer... I have an 8 year old DS...so it hit close to home with me. It occurred to me that this little girl wasn't given a choice....whereas God had given me a healthy body...of which I was CHOOSING to destroy with my eating/drinking habits. That is when I made a promise to myself that I would become a healthier me. I've stuck to my plan (Atkins 72)...rid myself of my sugar/carb addiction...and any cravings that went with it.
I guess you need to evaluate WHY you can't succeed....and try to make changes to help yourself. And hey....if you splurge....it's ok. Don't beat yourself up about it....enjoy it...and move on.
There are a lot of great threads on this board....find a supportive group and join in. There are a lot of people going through the same things you are....that's what's so great about this board.
I truly wish you the success that you desire my friend....just take it one day at a time.
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Tricia84
Man I love when God calls me out! As I wrote my post yesterday there was one very small sentence I chose to delete. “I’m an on fire for God Christian and trust solely in him for all healing” I felt I was laying down my weaknesses and struggles, to mention my faith in the same post just didn’t feel comfortable.
So here I am at work in one of my “poor me” moods. I have a container of some delicious food I made this weekend sitting next to me. 15 total carbs for the entire container and I usually eat half now half in the afternoon. I have everything I need to have a successful day but can’t seem to stop thinking about that cherry coke in my drawer. It has 3 times the carbs of my entire container of food. It would ruin my entire plan for the day all before 9am and with just one little can. Not to mention adds absolutely nothing nutritional value wise.
You’re comment brought me back to reality. I took out that sentence as I’ve (unconsciously) tried to take God out of the entire dieting equation. John 6:63 it is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. How could I think I was going to be able to “stick to it” by my own will alone? Thank you for comment and for that beautiful scripture you have in your signature. I love when He speaks to us through others, evaluate was all I needed to see for it to click.
You’ve inspired me to intermingle my daily devotions and dieting. Not to see both as two totally separate daily commitments, to reach out for strength and accountability to the only one who is truly capable of making the change in me. Not just in what I chose to surrender to Him but in everything!
I gave the coke away, got water and enjoyed a good start to the day. Thanks again sherlocklabs
Tricia84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/247/130
WOE: Atkins 72, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia84 View Post
Man I love when God calls me out! As I wrote my post yesterday there was one very small sentence I chose to delete. “I’m an on fire for God Christian and trust solely in him for all healing” I felt I was laying down my weaknesses and struggles, to mention my faith in the same post just didn’t feel comfortable.
So here I am at work in one of my “poor me” moods. I have a container of some delicious food I made this weekend sitting next to me. 15 total carbs for the entire container and I usually eat half now half in the afternoon. I have everything I need to have a successful day but can’t seem to stop thinking about that cherry coke in my drawer. It has 3 times the carbs of my entire container of food. It would ruin my entire plan for the day all before 9am and with just one little can. Not to mention adds absolutely nothing nutritional value wise.
You’re comment brought me back to reality. I took out that sentence as I’ve (unconsciously) tried to take God out of the entire dieting equation. John 6:63 it is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. How could I think I was going to be able to “stick to it” by my own will alone? Thank you for comment and for that beautiful scripture you have in your signature. I love when He speaks to us through others, evaluate was all I needed to see for it to click.
You’ve inspired me to intermingle my daily devotions and dieting. Not to see both as two totally separate daily commitments, to reach out for strength and accountability to the only one who is truly capable of making the change in me. Not just in what I chose to surrender to Him but in everything!
I gave the coke away, got water and enjoyed a good start to the day. Thanks again sherlocklabs
Blessings to you my friend I know you can do this....you are not on this journey alone!
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:52 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
Best wiahes and many prayers. Thank you for sharing your story
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Repeat Offender!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia84 View Post
Tricia...So...why is that cherry coke even in your drawer? If you don't have it, you can't eat/drink it. The best way to stick to low carb is to have ONLY low carb foods in your possession. If you do want to occasionally splurge, go out to eat and do it. Even if it's just one ice cream cone/sunday. DON'T buy a gallon of ice cream....you'll eat it!! Go to Dairy Queen or your favorite place and have one.....JUST ONE!!

Another thing that helped me when I started was (every time I saw a carby food....whether it was in the grocery store or in a restaurant) I said my "mantra" to myself. It is: "Poison...poison...poison...YUCK!!"

They say anti-freeze is sweet, but you wouldn't drink it, would you?? NO...it's POISON!! Obviously, carbs are poison for us too. SO...hang in there, join some threads on the board. There's a The New Year's Day Challenge!!! We Can All Do This!!!! Come Join Us!!!! There are some VERY supportive people there. Please join us. If you are into daily weighing (I am), there's a thread for that too. ^*^Are You A Daily Weigher? ^*^ Lets track this weight loss! November 2014!

I hope to see you around.

“Don’t promise yourself bad food as a reward for good behavior.”

"Always keep people in your life who charge your battery, not those who drain it."
Parisfox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:53 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Trigger828
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: ongoing lc lifestyle
This might sound strange but you are banking on having a family WHEN you lose weight.

what if that doesn't happen? what if you lose all the weight ya want and no good results happen in the baby department???? I mean, sometimes we are truly scared of the end results. A 'what if' it doesn't work? 'what if' I do all this and don't get what I want?

and then the 'what if' it does work? how does my life change? etc.

it is scary when we bank SO MUCH on something. the ins and outs of it are frightening sometimes.

there is only one way to find out if your dream might come true. lose the weight and then deal with what comes your way in life.

when at goal you can re-evaluate your life.

and that is scary. for alot of people.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rl2b
Stats: 329.5/277/175
WOE: Medi/moderate protein
Start Date: 04/27/2014
Hi Tricia,
You are not alone here - there are lots of folks in the same boat with you. Maybe not the same cabin . . . but similar experiences anyway. You can find all the support here that you could ever want!

I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 32 after an 80# gain overnight (it seemed!), etc. I didn't try the LC way of life then, unfortunately but finally wised up now at age 56. I am thrilled to see you want to make a change while you can still have kids, if it is meant to be. Maybe you are not ready to commit at this time, but please know this is not a good/bad 100% perfect choice. It is a process and a learning journey. You will make some not so great choices, and you will learn from them and hopefully not repeat them again.

I've lost over 50# since the beginning of May. I've been kind of struggling with not so great choices lately, so I am doing the maintain dance for a bit. I hope to get my head straightened out soon and make it through the holidays unscathed. My plan is to really buckle down come January and make it the rest of the way to goal, but it's not like that is the end. I'll still be doing this WOE because I know it is good for me and how my body processes carbs. I'll just be doing it a lot lighter and healthier.

I don't need to list all the great things that happen with LC - you already know how great you'll feel, etc. Of course you don't have to make it anywhere near goal to get pregnant - that could happen after just a few short months. Then you'll want to continue on with the WOE because you'll have to keep up with a baby/toddler/child, etc. So, aren't you worth it? Just for you?! And get rid of that Cherry Coke!!! It is not that good - go get yourself a nice tall glass of cold water and truly enjoy it. Others have given you great suggestions - have a treat now and then, and don't beat yourself up about it. Life happens. But it doesn't have to happen every single day, week after week. You'll find your snapping point - your this is it and things will work out! {{Hugs}}
Roseanne
rl2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cheeky1178
Stats: 324.8/288/180-ish?
WOE: 50gms or less
Start Date: 1/17/14
I don't know what help this is but at the least it's a statement of "you are not alone" and you are not crazy.

I was diagnosed with PCOS at 16, on my birthday actually, after being told by many many many doctors that I was not menstruating because I was fat....or on drugs and lying or pregnant and lying. Over many years and many doctors I found Low carb and it was great. I lost 40lbs and felt great...until I added back berries. Rinse and repeat. I fought for years to get metformin and man did it work great, except I spent hours every day with horrendous stomach problems and pains. Low carb is the only thing that has ever worked for me.

Well finally I got back to it and after 4 months, 30lbs down I got pregnant, err not on purpose either haha. 10yrs I had been with my husband, off and on the pill, off and on low carb, and never did I ever think it would happen. I was completely committed to adopting because I didn't want IVF. Of course my doctors convinced me to add back some carbs during my pregnancy and I would up with Gestational diabetes and a premature delivery. Thankfully our baby boy was perfect and healthy with only a few hiccups before we could take him home.

Now I'm ready for a 2nd and I'll be darned if I can not get back on track. I also need to lose weight for surgery to remove a cyst on my ovary sometime in February. The doctor said she's content to wait and watch so long as I'm losing weight....still I haven't been able to get it together.

That all ends tomorrow. Tomorrow morning I will dust myself off and get back to work! All I can do is keep getting back up and keep trying. Even if you're not 100% on plan every percent you're on is better then 100% off.

It's so silly but my son watches Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood on PBS and it's based on the old Mr. Roger's show, one episode was about persistence and every time little daniel tiger got frustrated they would sing "just keep trying, you'll get better" it's stuck in my head and I sing it to myself all the time hoping it will sink in

Best of luck to you!

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; I will not refuse to do something I can do. -Helen Keller"

cheeky1178 is offline   Reply With Quote