Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: honey23
Stats: 287
lowcarb? Atkins? paleo? Calorie counter? *new*

Hello

I have never joined a bulletin board but I feel a lack of motivation to keep losing weight. I am considered obese and have always been that fat girl. I was bullied through out my schooling and just fell into a void of food. I am also celiac I do not eat any flour and I have found it easy to follow a low card/grain free lifestyle. I found that I gained a lot of weight when I was DX with celiac because of the sugars and alternatives to flour. I feel confident in my weight loss ability but lack drive. I have been stuck at 290 for what seems like years and I'm sick of it. I have never felt like I should weight this much my frame feels smaller my ribs are tiny. I am hoping to gain some confidence and support out of this group. and lose about 100 pounds.

I am try to make a plan and stick to it.... I need some help I hear that I can just count carbs and forget the calories and lose weight? Has anyone had success with this?
I have also heard that all i need to do is stick to 100grams of carbs a day and eat more fat and protein then carbs with calorie restriction.
Then I came across Atkins and liked the idea but I'm not a fan of eating brand diet shakes and bars. This is a lifestyle change not a diet for me.
paleo is just confusing

I am a carb sensitive person. When I have to much sugar/carbs I get light headed and then sleeping and grumpy. I do not have diabetes but I fear that its not to far away from getting to me at the young age of 25. I am looking for guidance....and maybe a buddy.

Thank you
- MIS
honey23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2014, 03:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
You are confusing the Atkins eating plan with the current "Atkins industry" which promotes 'products.' You should avoid ALL those things--bars, shakes, etc.

I'd suggest you get to your library and find a copy of Atkins (my preference is his first book published originally in 1972). I also like Eades' Protein Power because I think that explains the low-carb eating dynamic even better than Atkins.

You should really focus on whole foods and not processed stuff.

If you check the Atkins threads here on this board [in the section on 'weight loss plans'], you will get an idea of what the basics are, but there's no substitute for reading the book itself.

You CAN do this--and enjoy the process, too.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:43 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: honey23
Stats: 287
thank you so much I will look into the atkins thread. and get the book no problem.
honey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kay9
Stats: 432/249/200
WOE: Atkins Extended Induction
Start Date: August 27th 2013
Welcome. Lot of informative threads by supporting members here so def soak up as much as you can.
kay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/246/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
Good advice given about reading the book and checking out the atkins board. The one thing that you really should focus on is your motivation. So many of us have started and stopped this LC way of eating too many times to count. It sometimes takes awhile to realize that this is truly a lifetime eating plan and not just a diet that will "end" someday to have you go back to old habits.
Investigate the different plans and find something that you will stick to.
Keep coming to the boards for lots of information and encouragement.
JoLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:40 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Honey, there are lots of different plans and I selected on where there is no grains or sugars. When I was losing, I was a meat eater and lost my weight slowly as I did have some health issues. But it is still doable. This is a great support system. Keep coming back.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I agree with Leo and others.
Skip the Atkins products in the grocery stores (except on the rare occasion).
100 carbs is likely to be too high for you.
Atkins induction is a good place to start (there are several induction threads on this forum, just ask). Many people follow low carb principles (generally Atkins) without going through induction but personally I think that's a good place to begin because after a while carb counting will become second nature, and it's a base that lots of us understand and we can offer advice if you share your menus. There are variations called Nutritional Ketosis that I like a lot, but very low carb is the basis of that, too.

You may have to worry about calories later (as an old mare, I pay attention), but as you are just starting, young, and have a fair amount of weight to lose, I'd say get the carbs down and worry more about calories later. If you are hungry eat foods that are on your plan.

The most important thing, imo, is to pick a plan and stick with it. Come here for advice and support, everyday if possible.

Last edited by Patience; 07-31-2014 at 07:15 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote