Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
The Labor Day Challenge!!!

The Labor Day Challenge!!! We Can All Do This!!!! Come Join Us!!!!

Come join us on the Labor Day Challenge!!! Think of the amazing things we can accomplish in two months!!! The rules are: No Rules! Feel free to join during any stage of this challenge!!!

Pick your own personal challenge based on whatever is important to you! and come report in whenever it suits you. Some will have a specific weight loss as a goal and some of us will have goals based only on desirable behaviors. A goal could be as simple as coming in to post. Think outside the box. What do **you** need to keep you going?

Each challenge we meet new folks in these challenges all with a common interest of living a healthier way of lfe. We may travel a different path to get there but get there nonetheless. You are all welcome!

We Can Do This!!!

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/264/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
My goal is very humble this time - keeping on track as much as I can, though I know I won't be "perfect". Eating 25g of carbs or less, doing some exercise. Losing 10 lbs would be nice too. Thank you for starting this new challenge.
sk8termom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
My goal for this challenge is to not lose or gain any weight 'cause I seriously think I've finally figured out my kcal and carb thresholds.

Wishing everyone success on accomplishing their Labor Day Challenges!!

Last edited by Just Jo; 07-05-2014 at 07:09 AM.. Reason: Silly fingers! Ugh!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:22 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ColoMtnLady
Stats: 296/216/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 2014
Thanks Mary for starting this. I think my challenge will be losing 10 lbs. i will have to work very hard to accomplish that.

I have been at the hospital with my mom. The docs found a malignant tumor the size of a pear in her left lung. This is her second bout of lung cancer and is untreatable. They will try to make her as comfortable as possible. We are looking at probably less than six months. This is a great test for me to see how strong I really am to get through this and stay on plan. I have been talking the talk so now it is time to walk the walk.
ColoMtnLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 317/282/130
Start Date: June 2014
Colo - I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. Praying that you have the strength and courage to deal with this and the blessing of getting to spend ample time with her.
Strawberry Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/234/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Goal for Labor Day is to be at 220

Colo, sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis. You will both be in my thoughts and prayers
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Colo, sorry to hear about your mom, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family! I lost my mom in 2001 and my son in 2004 to cancer...
Old 07-05-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Oh JO, sorry to hear about your losses. Must be hell to lose a child.
Colo, be gentle with yourself . . . but you may well find some strength by staying with your eating plan.

My goals are pretty much the same: stay on plan and avoid nuts, alcohol and artificial sweeteners. There are some days that I crave a drink, but not so often. As for food, I have settled into a way of eating that is almost automatic and I like it.

Sending you all some positive energy!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:21 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Oh JO, sorry to hear about your losses. Must be hell to lose a child.
Colo, be gentle with yourself . . . but you may well find some strength by staying with your eating plan.

My goals are pretty much the same: stay on plan and avoid nuts, alcohol and artificial sweeteners. There are some days that I crave a drink, but not so often. As for food, I have settled into a way of eating that is almost automatic and I like it.

Sending you all some positive energy!
Some days are rougher than others, but I'm lucky to have a grandson who is now 13 yo. He looks so much like his father and his mannerisms are identical... that's the sad part too...

Automatic -- that's how I like to describe my eating too... I don't really think about it since all I have in the house is "my" food... so it's pretty automatic here too!

Wishing you success on your Labor Day challenge, Patience!!

Last edited by Just Jo; 07-06-2014 at 04:23 AM..
Old 07-06-2014, 08:10 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/234/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Heading out tomorrow on vacation, our annual motorcycle get together with friends from all over, so this will be my last weigh-in until Monday 7/14. I'm at 230 today. We're heading to the Blue Ridge mountains in VA, the land of sweet tea and BBQ. Heaven help me

Have a great week everyone !
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Hello everyone!! I've missed you all! My DH has not been doing well. He had quad heart surgery back in December of 2006. Had complications and never really got that healthy feeling back that most do after the surgery. He is having a little trouble breathing and goes to lie down and puts his BIPAP mask on and naps. He told me last week that he thought he might need to get checked out! Major for him to say that. That's when I really got worried. Now says he's better and doesn't need to go to doc!!

Goal: same as last one, weigh in at 240. HoHum!!
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Lady- So sorry about your mom!! I've lost both my parents. It's so hard but sounds like you are handling it as well as to be expected. I agree with Patience. Give yourself a little slack during this time.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
I'll join in. My goal is to be at "goal". So 13 pounds in 2 months. Totally doable. AND to keep up my track record of no binges. That'll make 11 months no binge and a total of 67 pounds lost.
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Have a great time JoanneO!!! Sounds like fun!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:40 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

JJ- No words for what you've been through losing your son. My sister lost her son at age 35 to a massive heart attack. He was only 3 years younger than me and we were like siblings. It was devastating for our entire family. Prayers for you!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 317/282/130
Start Date: June 2014
I have two goals. The first is to lose 25 pounds. That's an average of 3lbs a week and since I have so much weight to lose I think it is a goal that is not too extreme. My 2nd is to keep on the grocery budget I set for us, which will help me save $160 a month. I'm going on a vacation in December, so I need to save up for it.
Strawberry Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Easily Amused

Gallery: FindingMyWay
I would like to join in too. I have done low carb many times over the years but need to find a way to make it work for life this time. I'm older and wiser now but still trying to find my way.
My goals for this summer are to stay on plan and be back in my jeans ( I'm stuck in stretchy pants land) by Labour Day. I have well over 100 pounds to lose and don't have a scale right now so am just focussing on eating right.
FindingMyWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

JoanneO, have you ever gone to the Motorcycle Ministry gettogethers in Keene NH. I hear people come from all around.

Colo, praying for you, your family and your mom. How blessed you are to have tome with her where you can each tell the other how much you mean to each other and to make amends for the hurts caused to or by each other. My mom died suddenly and I never had the final goodbye. There were things left unsaid that haunted me for years. Please don't let that happen. I pray you will be with her as she lasses over to the next journey.

My brother drew a picture for us when my mom passed ... of an ocean with sail boats. We were on one side and the ships setting sail containing my mom were heading to the other shore. We could no longer see her but the folks waiting for her on the other end were jubilant when she arrived. I know she has been near me even now nearly 40 years later whenever I have needed her. I write to her or talk to her and have a heart to heart whenever necessary. It helps to know she is just a blink away. The best to you.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jacksie
Stats: 248/218/140
Start Date: June 01, 2014
I would like to join to. I have been looking for a challenge. I have done fairly well for 5 weeks and plan on sticking to the WOE. By labor day, I would love to see onderland but that might be a stretch. I also plan on keeping my sugar in check, get all my water in, and also take my vitamins.

Thanks for starting this as this will keep me accountable.
Jacksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:48 PM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

to all the new people! Wishing all of us success on our Labor Day Challenges!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:49 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sherlocklabs
Stats: 320+/285/130
WOE: Atkins, LCHF ~ Clean Eating Only
Start Date: Restart: 6/29/14
I would like to join! This sounds like fun!
My goal is to stay on plan.....and to be able to wear my 2X clothed (which I just packed away today....into a plastic tub). I will be tickled if I am able to do that by Labor Day!
Colo: so sorry to hear about your Mom. Enjoy each other....Prayers are with you both.
sherlocklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: 10derHeart50
Stats: 286/270/175
Start Date: July 06, 2014
Hello Everyone....May I join your challenge?
10derHeart50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:56 PM   #23
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ColoMtnLady
Stats: 296/216/140
Start Date: Jan 2014
Welcome to all the new people, MadMarsha, FindingMyWay, Jacksie, Sherlocklabs, 10derheart50, welcome aboard.

Joanne-have a great time on your motorcycle vacation, sounds like a blast.

Cloud, Hope your hubby is feeling better.

Jo, I cannot even fathom the pain you must have gone through losing your son. I admire what you have done to be able to go on and be such a success in your life. Kudos to you.

To all who have sent thoughts and prayers my way, thank you. It is all beginning to sink in, for me and her. She has some dementia and floats in and out of reality sometimes, but on Friday morning she was very lucid and I was able to explain everything to her. We also talked about our feelings for each other so that was great. Unlike my sister, I have never had an argument with my mom much less ever raised my voice to her. I am 55 and she is 72 so she was very young when she had us kids, she was still a kid herself. But she did the best she could and I have always felt that she loved us. She has been a great grandmother to all 8 of her grandkids, I know she is their favorite. She lives about 2 hours away so I will spend most weekends with her, we'll just have to see how it goes. Thanks again for your prayers.
ColoMtnLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:20 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Auntie
WOE: LOw Carb
Start Date: 6/20/14
Colo- if you are able, get hospice involved. They are an amazing service whose goal is passing with dignity. Not only are they available to help your mom, but there for the family as well. I lost both of my parents very young and encourage you to celebrate every moment....use the good towels and china just because it is Tuesday. Record her voice, record her stories. The thing I miss most is I didn't have the chance to record either of my folk's voice. It may seem silly now, but trust me, it will be priceless some day.

Oceans of support to you.....
Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/241/150
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
Colo-So sorry to hear about your mother. Great advice from Auntie about recording her voice. My mother-in-law passed when my DH was 21 and we cherish the tapes of her singing with her acapella group.

My weight loss goal will be 15 lbs. The Labor Day challenge will be ending around the time when I will be taking a trip with my SILs to Hilton Head. Back in March we had all said it would be nice to loose 20lbs before the trip. To this point I have lost 35! Anything over this amount will be the most I have ever lost before. I've done Atkins several times and have lost 25 to 35 times over and over. So I'm very excited to continue on this downward trend.
Welcome to everyone - let's do this!
Old 07-07-2014, 02:08 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

My goal would be to heal and return to work full time right after Labor Day. In the next couple weeks, I want to start back part time maybe 4 hrs couple days a week, God willing.

I would like to continue on normalizing my meal plan and pehaps get to 155 lbs.

I want to continue to work on my balance issues and hope to have solved the dizziness problems by then.

God can perform miracles and I am seeing them little by little.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Madmarsha
Stats: 212/157/145
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoMtnLady View Post
Thanks Mary for starting this. I think my challenge will be losing 10 lbs. i will have to work very hard to accomplish that.

I have been at the hospital with my mom. The docs found a malignant tumor the size of a pear in her left lung. This is her second bout of lung cancer and is untreatable. They will try to make her as comfortable as possible. We are looking at probably less than six months. This is a great test for me to see how strong I really am to get through this and stay on plan. I have been talking the talk so now it is time to walk the walk.
I will reiterate what "Auntie" said. Please do involve hospice. Not all hospice companies are the same so do some due diligence and interview several; but when you find the right one and you understand what they do and don't do, it's a wonderful resource and you can just focus on the remaining days without being bogged down in things that no longer matter. It's so hard for some people to accept reality but I am not one of them. I lost my dad nearly 51 weeks ago and by July 13th when he finally died and he had been "1 week away" for WEEKS, it was a relief and a blessing and I thanked God for finally taking him. My mourning had already begun. It was all over by that time but the dying.

Now, I wasn't low carbing at the time. And honestly, his death probably contributed to me finally getting off the schnod. I know my weight troubled him and I'm sorry he didn't get a chance to see me now. So I didn't get a chance to see how I would have done under that strain; but when it's time for my mom (she just turned 86 and isn't well), I vow to keep as on the straight and narrow as I can and not use it as an excuse to overeat pizza and pasta and fast food just cos it's more convenient. I can eat salads or bun less hamburgers just as easily.
LDL: 191
Madmarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM   #28
Easily Amused

Gallery: FindingMyWay
I tried on my jeans. I can button them but could only zip them if I lay on my bed. I want to be able to pull them on, zip them up and wear them comfortably be Labour Day. I'll try to resist from trying them on again for a couple of weeks. I'm so impatient.
FindingMyWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: slendercate
Stats: 188/177/140
WOE: Protein Power
Start Date: January 2014
I am in for this challenge for sure.

I don't know how much I will lose, but my plan is to lose 10 lbs by labor day. I intend to stay focused with my exercise and diet.
This is the perfect challenge for me, as sometimes I get discouraged and can use the accountablity of a posting my progress.

Colo, so sorry to hear about your Mom's diagnosis. I lost my Mom to Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma in 1991. Thankfully, she didn't suffer, and my sister and I had time to make memories before she passed.

Just Jo, sorry to hear about your loss of your Mother and son.

I will keep you both in my prayers and thoughts.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome to some more newbies!! It really helps to hear everyone's story.