Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   One week in, results (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/833173-one-week-results.html)

Jacksie 06-08-2014 01:18 PM

One week in, results

Hi. I have done Atkins in the past and have followed this board for a very long time. In the past, I did have success low carbing and then just got careless. My doctor put me on Metformin awhile back and I refused to take it thinking I would control my sugar with low carbing. It worked for awhile and then I started eating everything sweet. My downfall is pop, more specifically my beloved Coca-Cola. When I cheated in the past, it was the soda pop that would cause my downfall. I recently had to have a blood test
and my sugar was 280 and this was fasting, IKES! This scared me and I knew I needed to get serious again. Yes, I probably should have started taking my Metformin that day but the stubbornness in me refused. So I started back to low carbing June 1.

In one weeks time my glucose has gradually dropped each day. I test several times throughout the day and if I had not seen them drop, I would have started meds for sugar. Yesterday, when I woke my bs was 94. This morning it was 84. It is running throughout the day between 82-101. I pretty much eat Atkins induction allowable foods, lots of meats and veggies. So to sum up in 7 days being on Atkins, I have watched my blood sugars decrease steadily and have lost 10# in 7 days. I am 52 years old and still going though menopause. I am sure this will hinder me but this time it is about getting healthy, feel good and losing weight will be a nice bonus.

Jazlyn 06-08-2014 02:49 PM

Wow. That is great. Good for you!

Jacksie 06-08-2014 03:38 PM

Thanks, Jazlyn. Look how much you have lost! Good for you too. I want to lose 110 pounds. My biggest complaint is I am so tired. I thought I would start getting some of my energy back by now and I haven't. I am so tired, I have to push myself. Last time, I did Atkins (years ago) I did get that energy burst. I guess I need vitamins but I eat lots of greens like kale, spinach and avocados daily. I might have a tiny bit more energy than I did a week ago but not much. I am not getting any caffeine and maybe that is making a difference? People like you and these boards will keep me motivated.

maximumdensity 06-08-2014 04:57 PM

:jumpjoy: hooray losing! blood sugars going down! Keep up the good work!:high5:

Patience 06-09-2014 07:20 AM

Jacksie, are you avoiding caffeine on purpose?
Maybe you could have some for a bit of energy?
Some days I am a bit tired, but I try to reframe tiredness as my body drawing on my fat stores. I try to give my self gentle nudges, when I am tired, not big pushes. Take a very short walk, rather than a longer one, but make the effort for a short one.

Also, I'd suggest never calling coca cola "beloved" again. Ick. Call it demon coke!

Jacksie 06-09-2014 09:44 AM

Thanks, Maxi.

Yes Patience, I am avoiding caffeine because I also have high blood pressure. I thought if I avoided the caffeine my blood pressure might come down. I have been on BP meds for at least 20 years but it still runs borderline. I probably will cave and start drinking some tea for the caffeine and energy. Thanks for your message.

maximumdensity 06-09-2014 09:47 AM

Jacksie,
how about just a small amount to get over the hump so to speak....

Your BP should come down as you lose and your diet improves :) cheering for you !

Jacksie 06-18-2014 09:50 AM

Okay, I have been doing a small amount of caffeine and it is helping, not sure if it is my way of eating or the caffeine but my energy level has been much better.

On a side note, glucose is still running great, sticking to Atkins induction and I have lost 18 pounds in a little over 2 weeks.

Trotter 06-19-2014 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksie (Post 16947266)
Okay, I have been doing a small amount of caffeine and it is helping, not sure if it is my way of eating or the caffeine but my energy level has been much better.

On a side note, glucose is still running great, sticking to Atkins induction and I have lost 18 pounds in a little over 2 weeks.

Awesome!

Patience 06-21-2014 11:03 AM

You should be thrilled about !!
way to go.

Blondie302 06-26-2014 07:42 AM

Jacksie, Im glad to see your story. About a month ago I had some tests done and they told me I was in the range of needing to go on medication for diabetes. They wanted me to check my blood sugar once a day but I cant. I just cant stick myself and I knew my only option was to get back on LC (which I wanted to do for weight loss anyway). My doc said they would retest me in 3 months and if my test results were still high, I'd have to go on meds. Im -really- hoping eating LC will prevent that from happening.

rl2b 06-26-2014 12:50 PM

Jacksie, congrats to you! You are doing fabulous, and those blood sugar numbers are just great. When do you go back to your doctor? I'm sure he will be very pleased with your progress and those results.

Blondie - I think you are definitely on the right path for having to skip meds. Three months is just the perfect length of time for you to get back in the swing of things and to really see some positive results. {{Hugs}} to both of you.
Roseanne

Jacksie 06-27-2014 08:11 PM

I have almost made it one month, to date lost 21 pounds. I am sticking to less than 20 carbs daily. Who said it was hard for a 52 year old to lose? LOL My glucose is running perfect. I do eat a few cherries (5 -9) daily and they have not raised my sugar and I feel like I am getting a treat. My other treat, I have twice weekly is a root beer float. To make my float, I just get a really ice cold can of diet root beer and add 2 T. of heavy cream. I mainly eat eggs, bacon, sausage, burgers, cauliflower, green beans, chicken and salad.

Thanks for the comments and support.

Jacksie 06-27-2014 08:13 PM

I should add that I did test the waters after induction and made a low carb tortilla wrap and I gained a couple of pounds and then did not lose for 3 days. I will not be having the wraps as they do raise my sugar and they are low carb!

squash 06-28-2014 01:01 PM

great job Jacksi! stick with it.

kay9 06-29-2014 07:20 AM

Great progress. Keep it up!!!!

sherlocklabs 07-04-2014 06:21 AM

Wonderful progress!! Good for you!! Yay!