Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 AM   #241
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
Patience- You and I seem to have a lot in common. I keep magazines with declutter articles and don't read them. Stack of mags. Make a list and hang on fridge; it's old and turned yellow before it's all done. Oh well, I have clean bathrooms.

Today was my 20th anniversary. Had a nice day except for going to Urgent Care with another gout episode. Just had one in April.
Yes, we do have standards, of a sort! Sorry to hear about the attack, that must be so frustrating. Is there a medication for treatment?
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 AM   #242
Major LCF Poster!

Mary, so sorry you are being put through the wringer.
Such a cascade of consequences from your fall.

Declutter is hard work for me because I have to make decisions about stupid pieces of paper or other trivia I've kept. I've learned that I can only do bits at a time (the timer idea is good in that regard). Usually when something conjures up an emotion of some sort, I stall. It's amazing that things can do this to me.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #243
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
Mary, so sorry you are being put through the wringer.
Such a cascade of consequences from your fall.

Declutter is hard work for me because I have to make decisions about stupid pieces of paper or other trivia I've kept. I've learned that I can only do bits at a time (the timer idea is good in that regard). Usually when something conjures up an emotion of some sort, I stall. It's amazing that things can do this to me.
I have a strategy that might work for you, I use to do this for my kiddos when they had too much clutter (aka toys, clothes). Put things in a box that you might want to get rid of -- label it with the date. In six months, if you haven't touched what's in the box, it's may be time to get rid of it or pass it on to someone else that may appreciated it....

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-11-2014 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: silly grammar errors...
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:52 AM   #244
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/322/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
Good Morning & Happy Wednesday ~ Yesterday was a much better day. Reminding me that posting and being accountable is important.

Mary ~ Wishing you a speedy recovery from your flu Really excited to hear about how the tapping works for you.

JustJo ~ Love the idea about the box. For me paying forward is pretty easy, I run 2 thrift stores for the charity that I work for and I know that a huge percent of the money raised is being spent to actually help people with disabilities.

Patience ~ I'm with you about paper items, very hard for me to put items through the shredder.

Oncloud ~ 20 years is a significant milestone. Sorry to hear about your attack.

JoanneO ~ I'm not very good with abbreviations .... what is a PCP?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:57 AM   #245
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindym View Post
Good Morning & Happy Wednesday ~ Yesterday was a much better day. Reminding me that posting and being accountable is important.

Mary ~ Wishing you a speedy recovery from your flu Really excited to hear about how the tapping works for you.

JustJo ~ Love the idea about the box. For me paying forward is pretty easy, I run 2 thrift stores for the charity that I work for and I know that a huge percent of the money raised is being spent to actually help people with disabilities.

Patience ~ I'm with you about paper items, very hard for me to put items through the shredder.

Oncloud ~ 20 years is a significant milestone. Sorry to hear about your attack.

JoanneO ~ I'm not very good with abbreviations .... what is a PCP?
OOoh I love charity thrift stores that's where all my FAT Jo clothes went... and they got some really lovely pieces... (Good riddance to size 4XL down to size 6 clothes!!)

Can you imagine I use to box up clothes when they got too big just in case? How insane was that? It was like 1) I knew I wasn't going to maintain, didn't have faith in myself and 2) It was giving me permission to gain back the weight... NOT this time....
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 AM   #246
Major LCF Poster!

For some reason that one (putting things in box to get rid of at some future date) doesn't work so well for me. I need to think about why. Maybe it's because of the work it takes to assemble the potential "get rid of" box. Although I am doing pretty good at getting rid of my too big clothes. I've had issues with hanging on to too big, too. And had to buy bigger clothes when I had gotten rid of perfectly good bigger ones. Ouch! I agree, not this time! It's more a wee regret that I didn't keep more of my smaller sizes, as if keeping them 15 - 20 years wasn't enough.

One thing I have been working on is thinking of the waning moon as a the time to pare down and toss, or to say no to any new commitments. Only modest success but time to try again.

Last edited by Patience; 06-11-2014 at 07:12 AM..
Old 06-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #247
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
For some reason that one (putting things in box to get rid of at some future date) doesn't work so well for me. I need to think about why. Maybe it's because of the work it takes to assemble the potential "get rid of" box. Although I am doing pretty good at getting rid of my too big clothes. I've had issues with hanging on to too big, too. And had to buy bigger clothes when I had gotten rid of perfectly good bigger ones. Ouch! I agree, not this time! It's more a wee regret that I didn't keep more of my smaller sizes, as if keeping them 15 - 20 years wasn't enough.

One thing I have been working on is thinking of the waning moon as a the time to pare down and toss, or to say no to any new commitments. Only modest success but time to try again.
Just think, Patience, those 15-20 yo clothes probably aren't in fashion any more... out with the old and in with the new for a thinner sexier bod... no?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:15 AM   #248
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Sorry Mary!! Hope you're better soon!!
Thanks JustJo!! I hope to have at least 20 more too!!
Glad to see you back, Cindy!!
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:27 AM   #249
Major LCF Poster!

Patience- Doc said to drink black cherry juice to prevent. No, can't just eat some cherries. Boo! I drank 2oz this morning begrudging the carbs and natural sugar!! Started another steroid packet to get rid of it this time.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:29 AM   #250
Major LCF Poster!

I've been doing well with getting rid of too big clothes this time. I have kept them before and was so sad to put them back on later. Will not be happening this time!!!
Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #251
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Isn't gout from too much purine in your system?
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #252
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
I've been doing well with getting rid of too big clothes this time. I have kept them before and was so sad to put them back on later. Will not be happening this time!!!
I love Dr. Phil's insightful quotes and one of my favorites that comes to mind especially while on this journey was this one:

"Relevant past behavior predicts future behavior."

So while I'm on this journey, I've kept that in mind. My "relevant past behavior" as for the "big" clothes was to box 'em up and keep them until I needed them again. So I would NOT be repeating the "predicts future behavior" part again, was to donate them as soon as they were too big for me...

It's like the Albert Einstein's quote: The definition of Insanity is to repeat an action over and over again and expect a different result.

This one's a good one because it defines my weight loss/gain yo-yoing thru life... Lose the weight by LCing; then eat carbs like those carb-eaters and gain the weight, lose the weight by LCing, then eat carbs like those carb-eaters and gain the weight... you get the idea...
Old 06-11-2014, 03:08 PM   #253
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Still here but doing a 'drive-by' post!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #254
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 300/246/199
WOE: atkins
Start Date: april 1
july 4 i'll celebrate 20 years sobriety thanks to aa......problem right now is i'm 5'11 and weigh 270 pounds...but,i have dropped 30 lbs in last few months by not eatin bread or fruit...thanks for being here for me.
therealmrheartache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:52 AM   #255
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Realm...congrats on your 20 years!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:40 AM   #256
Major LCF Poster!

therealm! And huge on 20 years sober that is a huge accomplishment!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:43 AM   #257
Major LCF Poster!

HUGE to all those that had losses today!
For those that didn't, remember the scales are EVIL!!

Today is day 29 without a loss or gain. So I think I can safely say that I am officially in this LC WOE "maintenance" with <1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs daily! I'm so excited!

So far my personal 4th of July goal is going amazingly well!
Old 06-12-2014, 03:52 AM   #258
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
Going through everyone's posts is a blessing to me! I am sorry for those with ailments (both physically and emotionally) but glad you're able to share with us because it put things in perspective for me. I'm adding all of you to my prayer list for relief of your illnesses and for the strength to continue this WOE. I say all this because I have a co-worker who had gastric bypass a few months ago and lost too much so fast that she's having lots of trouble and it has changed her personality and emotional state. She is not healthy at all. Talk to you guys soon!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #259
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/231/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Morning all !

Cindy - PCP stands for Primary Care Physician .. glad to see you back

Cloud - Happy anniversary ! Sorry about the gout, my dad had it bad, hope you feel better soon

Patience - it's amazing how attached we can get to our stuff, I've been working on it too

Therealmr - Welcome ! and Congrats on 20 years

Bronwyn - I've known a lot of people too who have had the surgery and did not do well after, both physically and mentally .. too much of a risk for me to consider

Enjoy the day everyone
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 06:38 AM   #260
Blabbermouth!!!

Tonight I am going to a Bariatric Information evening at our local hospital. About 11 years ago I went and they let me attend their support meetings all while I attended 12 step meetings and logged onto these boards for support. I learned a lot. Their main theme was that habits were more important than diets. I told them at the time I didn't think I could have the surgery because I wasn't willing to take a serious look at my feelings which was part of their workbook, Habits not Diets. They didn't try to coerce anyone into the surgery and said they could change their minds right up until the last minute. Anyway, I lost my weight over a period of time and near the end they invited me to be part of their discussion team for people thinking of the surgery. I have seen many have it who have suffered because they have gained the weight back. WLS is only a tool, no different than a kitchen scale. It helps someone know how much is enough food to eat. But you can still play games with it and within two years after surgery, the body adjusts to the new smaller stomach and intestines. If you haven't changed your life style and know how to deal with life on life's terms, you will still be playing the dieting game.

Their surgeon went to a differnt hospital and this hospital decided not to offer the program any longer. Fast forward to 2014. I just happened to walk by a bulletin board at the hospital and noticed an announcement for this information night. The hospital is working with another hosital in another city. They will do the pre surgery and post surgery care for patients in our area. I called them up and it turns out the lady in charge was the same lady who was involved back in 2003. She remembered me and I asked her if she would let me come and say a few words about the 12 step program as an adjunct tool to support folks who are interested in an alternative way either before or after or instead of. She said most definitely. So I am checking it out tonight. Next month, they will start their support meetings once a month. They have found that many times folks that have the surgery turn to other addictions (shopping, spending, drinking, gambling, drugs, etc) when they can't use food to satisfy their compulsion if they haven't worked through their issues. Anyway, I feel I can be useful here and want to share my experience.

Old 06-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #261
Major LCF Poster!

Welcome a new day. Grateful that yesterday was another good day. Been very busy at work and looking forward to having a couple of days away on Sunday and Monday of this week. I purchased a one night stay in a resort about 3 hours away from a charity auction and decided to extend it by an extra day.

JustJo ~ Thanks for sharing the quotes.

Patience ~ Paying it forward has really helped me and actually being able to watch how happy people are to have my too small or too large stuff has helped too.

Thanks Oncloud ~ DD also has gout, I will tell her about the black cherry juice.

TheRealm and on 20 years and losing 30 pounds. Looking forward to getting to know more about you.

Bronwyn ~ Sorry to hear about your co-worker.

Thanks JoanneO

Mary ~ That is so awesome that you are going to share your experience with others.

I better get ready for work.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #262
Major LCF Poster!

Mary- You are such an inspiration for all of us and I am happy that you will have another avenue to share your knowledge and experiences to help others. Through this thread I've learned that you are an amazing lady!!!

Cindy- So glad you are back and posting. Sorry about DD. I know how painful it is. How does she treat it?
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #263
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Bron for the prayers. I need all I can get.

JustJo- Amazing. I can't believe you don't even have flucuations! You've obviously nailed it!!

Welcome Realm!! Congratulations on your major accomplishments!!! Ready to get to know you!!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #264
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/245/150
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
Mary- That is so great of you to share at the meeting. Hope you feel better soon.

Oncloud- Hope your gout gets better. My nephew suffers from it too. It has been very hard for him to lose weight. LC works best for him but it also triggers his gout. He's pretty much given up at this point.

Cindy- Enjoy your extended weekend!

Bronwyn- Several years ago a woman that worked at my kid's school went in for stomach bypass surgery and died a week later from complications. That solidified my decision NOT to have it myself.

Just jo- Congratulations on maintaining!

I didn't get a chance to weigh last week (vacation) but this week showed -3lbs from last time. So I have officially met my July 4 goal of 10 lbs. and have lost 11. Doing the happy dance
The past few months I've been saying that I needed to clean out my closet. The funny thing is that I'm not small enough to start giving away my wardrobe just yet, but I do have several boxes of smaller clothes that I probably won't wear that I have been saving for 20+ years. Styles have changed and my tastes have changed over time. I'm also a "shoeaholic" since clothes shopping over the years has not been that enjoyable, I could always pick up some shoes. So I have way too many now. It's time to declutter!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #265
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Oncloud and Jo!!! Weeeehoooo 30 days -- still maintaining with no weight loss or gain... *doing the happy happy dance!!* ------->
Old 06-13-2014, 01:52 AM   #266
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLynn View Post
I didn't get a chance to weigh last week (vacation) but this week showed -3lbs from last time. So I have officially met my July 4 goal of 10 lbs. and have lost 11. Doing the happy dance
Huge on the -3 lbs and meeting your 4th of July Challenge that is soooo amazing!!! I'm doing the little happy-happy dance with you!! ------>
Old 06-13-2014, 04:54 AM   #267
Blabbermouth!!!

I went to the meeting to observe and see how the presentation changed from 2003. It almost seemed like a sales pitch. They had colored slides showing how much safer it is now than it used to be, and how it increases your chances of being alive five years from now with surgery vs dieting. It was sad in a way because there were people in the room who only had 100 lbs to lose which is totally doable with lifestyle change if you stick with it and change the mindset from one of dieting to one of wanting to do the best for yourself. For me I usually turn to food now when I need love, am lonely, feel sorry for myself, feelings that I have to find alternative outlets for. But I am getting better at catching it before it turns into a binge that adds on 50-60 lbs.

I will go back in a month to share at the support meeting. They only have to attend 2 support meetings. If you are over 70 the insurance won't approve it, they said because you already have one foot in the grave. Nice huh? If you have no health issues and have a BMI over 40, it will be approved, but they were told not to lose any weight lest they fall below 40. If your BMI is 35-39 with at least one co-morbidity, it would be approved. I have met a couple families who have lost loved ones who have had the surgery and others whose health was compromised seriously. Maybe in this day and age it is better. But what they haven't fixed are the risk factors for regaining the weight. There really is no real support group. They meet up a bit. There may be some facebook pages. But you still have to get to the root causes of why you turn to food or whatever other addictive substance so that it doesn't continue to happen going forward. We need to do the footwork and make life style changes.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #268
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/231/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Well said Mary

Saw the ortho today for follow-up on the hip and to check out the knees. Good news, hip is doing great, he does not need to see me until next April. Not so good, both knees show moderate osteoarthritis - I kinda figured, based on how they feel - he suggested cortisone shots if I want them. Need to do some research on that before deciding. Eventually will need both knees done, depending on the progression .. hey I'm looking at this as just more motivation to lose weight !

Also had bloodwork done last week, in prep for my 6 month visit with primary on Monday. I can access results online before appointment which is nice. Again good and not so good news. The good, A1C down to 5.1 from 5.3, and TRIG down to 95 from 120. The not so good, total CHOL up to 209 from 189, LDL up to 139 from 112 and HDL down to 51 from 53. Hmmmm. We'll see what she says Monday, but may have to tweak my plan a bit.

Wishing all a nice Friday the 13th and a great weekend
Old 06-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #269
Blabbermouth!!!

Joanne, I found by adding in more raw veggies and switching the meat/dairy to fish/eggs, it really helped with the numbers. My chol dropped to 141 on the last visit and that was after I got rid of dairy altogether. I use tofu now instead of yogurt and whip it up with my pumpkin. It looks just like my custard and I add stevia and pp spice, even though I only taste the stevia, I am having today for the first time since the accident. It used to be a staple, real comfort food. Can also be turned into ice cream if soy milk is used.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #270
Major LCF Poster!

Happy Friday ~ Working for home today because my vehicle is in the shop. A whole bunch of things .... costing money I don't want to spend and it is raining like crazy today.

Thanks again Oncloud ~ it feels good to post again and she is attempting to deal with it using diet but she is in pain lots. She is 22 and has had so many health issues. I'm so grateful that I have been so healthy. How are you feeling?

JoLynn ... dancing is good for us

JustJo

Mary ~ my personal feeling is that it is such a waste of insurance dollars that could be used on other health issues.

JoanneO ~ your positive attitude.
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote