Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #91
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
JustJo it was not a planned cheat. It was an office going away party for a colleague, filled with cake, cake, and more cake! I ate what was put in front of me but my taste buds didn't like it, nor did my conscience. My next meal was what I've been eating these last few weeks and I've not eaten any more junk food.
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2014, 02:42 PM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronwyn View Post
JustJo it was not a planned cheat. It was an office going away party for a colleague, filled with cake, cake, and more cake! I ate what was put in front of me but my taste buds didn't like it, nor did my conscience. My next meal was what I've been eating these last few weeks and I've not eaten any more junk food.
Oh that's hard, those office parties with all those carb-y foods. Have you come up with a strategy when faced with something like that again?

I have faced those especially since 1st week in May was teachers appreciation week, we had carb crap in the staff lounge all week long and PTA brought us goodies every morning. I gave mine to my colleagues. The luncheons they provided during that week, I switched lunch duty with one of the other teachers so she could enjoy the carb crap foods and I avoid the staff lounge like the plague. We had a going away party for 3 of our teachers and when offered cake and ice cream, I said "I'll have some in a little while." Surprisingly no one ever comes back to ask if you've had some -- that line has worked many many times.

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill

“This WOE is not a Diet,
It’s my Salvation, my KEY to being
Healthy, Happy and Thinner!”
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #93
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/240/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
Just Jo-Thank you for sharing. You give me hope that I can finally lose this weight that I have been carrying around for far too long.
JoLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #94
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLynn View Post
Just Jo-Thank you for sharing. You give me hope that I can finally lose this weight that I have been carrying around for far too long.
I'm here for you, Jo!
I feel it's my responsibility to share what I've experienced during my LC WOE journey with others so that they too can be successful in their journeys!
Old 05-24-2014, 06:14 PM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Just Jo- I must be at the point you were before deciding to do it for real and lose it. I have lost 70. Lbs but can't seem to stop snacking now, especially in evenings. I never eat off plan, just way too much. I have been treated for depression for the last 14 years. I had to retire early from teaching. Any insight on what turned you around?
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:37 PM   #96
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
Looking forward to Sunday. It has been a hard week. Lots of food thoughts with a little action yesterday. Ate too much. Need to reactivate the kitchen scale.

Thank you for your inspirations JustJo!
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #97
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
Just Jo- I must be at the point you were before deciding to do it for real and lose it.
Wow HUGE on your 70 lb loss, that's awesome!!

I'm going to answer you post in 2 parts, hope you don't mind, but I kinda wrote a lot:

I'd like to say it was perseverance and dedication to following the plan without cheats -- but I'm not really sure why it "clicked" this time. I call it the "perfect storm" all the elements line up (mind & body connection) and you're just ready to "Do it".

But this time around I did something entirely different than my other successful periods of extreme weight loss. I've lost 100s of pounds over the years and thought I was a carb-eater and gained them all back + some. I finally realized that I'll never be a carb-eater, but that took some time to figure out...

Anyways... I did research on weight loss surgery, not that I would do it because I can lose weight with A '72 and always have. Just to see how many kcals they ate, etc. Did you know that they start off on a LC diet for about 6 months before surgery? Could never find how many carbs they were allowed. After surgery, they were still on a LC diet with no more than 600-800 kcals. So I restricted myself to 800 kcals under the supervision of my doctor -- since it was summer break, I figured I can handle any issues that might come up health-wise because of the low kcal + ultra low carb (6 grams) WOE. I did this from 5 July to 1 Jan, then I upped my kcals to 1000 and carbs to 8. Now I am up to under 1400 kcals and 10-12 carbs daily. I haven't gained or lost anything in 11 days so I am hoping that I have found my "sweet spot" as I like to call it.

In the past weight loss attempts, I'd lose the weight but forgot the most important step: MAINTENACE... how stupid right? This time, I wanted to know exactly how many kcals and carbs I can have daily w/o gaining/losing weight. I have portion control issues so knowing how many daily kcals really helps me stay in control of that because I could eat all day long snacking on no carb foods... sorry about the length of this post.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:38 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
...can't seem to stop snacking now, especially in evenings. I never eat off plan, just way too much...
If you're snacking on "legal" foods, then I wouldn't be overly concerned. The only drawback of course is that you won't lose as quickly -- BUT you'll still lose! Remember Dr. A's golden rule: "Eat when Hungry!" You shouldn't be miserable doing this WOE -- so feed the need!

With my portion control issues, I don't do cheese or nuts because I can't control myself. I also have my DH measure pork rinds for me and secret away the rest. That's the only way I can handle it.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:39 AM   #99
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
Looking forward to Sunday. It has been a hard week. Lots of food thoughts with a little action yesterday. Ate too much. Need to reactivate the kitchen scale.

Thank you for your inspirations JustJo!
You're welcome, MaryMary!
Old 05-25-2014, 05:41 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/228/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Thank you Just Jo (wow lots of "Jo's" here, love it) for sharing, I find your story to be very helpful... I'm hoping that this time I have found that "perfect storm" you talked about

Once again, back on track, and down 3 pounds this week

Wishing all a wonderful weekend
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:49 AM   #101
Blabbermouth!!!

JoanneO, what town in Mass are you from? I don't live far from Mass.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:53 AM   #102
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneO View Post
Thank you Just Jo (wow lots of "Jo's" here, love it) for sharing, I find your story to be very helpful... I'm hoping that this time I have found that "perfect storm" you talked about

Once again, back on track, and down 3 pounds this week

Wishing all a wonderful weekend
Gotta the all Jos right? HUGE on your 3 lbs this week, Jo -- WTG!! I'm over here cheering you onward and downward!!

Wishing all of us continued success as we follow our personal LC WOE journeys!!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bronwyn
JustJo we have birthday parties monthly and I BYOF to eat unless there is some healthy food on the table. With this party it was catered and I didn't plan. Lesson learned and I've moved on!
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:16 PM   #104
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Bronwyn, I got tripped up at a colleague's retirement party.
I ate some small sweets and drank some champagne.
I was not psychologically prepared . . . but I have put that one behind me.
I typically do better, so I just have to move on.

Jo, I love S.E.A.L.! Thanks for sharing (I never noticed it in your signature . . . duh!).
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:47 PM   #105
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post

Jo, I love S.E.A.L.! Thanks for sharing (I never noticed it in your signature . . . duh!).
LOL Patience, thanks. Actually it's a new signature as of a couple of days ago. I wanted to change things up a bit!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:42 PM   #106
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
JoanneO, what town in Mass are you from? I don't live far from Mass.
While I grew up in Medford, I'm living in Gardner now, it's about 15 minutes from Rindge, NH.

How are you feeling these days ? I hope recovery is going well for you
Old 05-25-2014, 07:48 PM   #107
Major LCF Poster!

Ok, I eat almost a bag of pork skins and lots of almonds in the late evening. I just can't control myself. Think we will quit buying them both for a while.

Good attitude Patience! I'm going to move on too. I'm giving the rest of my almonds and pork skins away!

I too have lost several hundred pounds over the years. Ten years ago I lost 110lbs on LC and was on these boards but thought I was'finished' and went back to old way of eating and started LC this time 36lbs heavier than when I started then! I began this time more for my health than anything else. I am 59 now and have several health issues that will benefit from a loss of weight.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:43 AM   #108
Blabbermouth!!!

JoanneO, Gardner is not far away, as I live near Nashua. Maybe some day we could meet up.

Recovery is up and down. Emotionally I am challenged while the brain heals. If it weren't for these boards and an occasional OA mtg, I would feel totally isolated since I can't drive. It is a lesson in patience and reliance in others, not my strong suits.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:01 AM   #109
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Ok, I eat almost a bag of pork skins and lots of almonds in the late evening. I just can't control myself. Think we will quit buying them both for a while.

Good attitude Patience! I'm going to move on too. I'm giving the rest of my almonds and pork skins away!

I too have lost several hundred pounds over the years. Ten years ago I lost 110lbs on LC and was on these boards but thought I was'finished' and went back to old way of eating and started LC this time 36lbs heavier than when I started then! I began this time more for my health than anything else. I am 59 now and have several health issues that will benefit from a loss of weight.
In a nutshell you have described my battle with myself in losing the weight, putting back on repeatedly over the span of my entire adult life. I've lost literally 100s of pounds over the decades -- I have been 100% successful EVERY single time I decided to lose weight and DIET using A '72 -- what I failed to understand was to follow the REST of the journey! I didn't realize or pretended not to realize that this is a WOE not a diet... diets have an end goal and stop, LC WOE's end goal is the grave...

I am NEVER EVER going to be a carb eater (well I can be if I want FAT Jo hanging around again). I get that NOW -- don't know what brain cells finally fired to make me realize that. But I REFUSE to REGAIN!! And I solely have that power over what I put in my mouth and I am a control freak so it's going to be easy! **cue "take-over the world" evil villain laugh** Yep, I am going to be an LC WOE Lifer!!!!

Must have been a night for pork rinds... cause I ate a 5 oz bag (kcals = 800 & ZERO carbs, thank goodness) Told DH that he has to put them away and measure them out for me from now on cause I have no portion control!! He is willing to help me do this... he is such a great support. Funny thing is though, he loves me literally thru thick (FAT Jo) or thin. I asked him once if me being Fat Jo bothered him and his response was, whatever makes you happy makes me happy!!! He never indicated (verbally or non-verbally) that I should lose weight EVER!! Who could ask for anything more???

As for nuts... OMG don't get me started -- seriously ONLY eat a hand full with my portion control issues? So I don't buy them so I can't eat them! Someone said true wisdom is acknowledging your faults/downfalls -- I am so wise now!

Last edited by Just Jo; 05-26-2014 at 05:03 AM..
Old 05-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~*Kimbers*~
Stats: 373/360/175
Start Date: 05/10/2014
If it is not too late I would like to join please.

I just came back to low carb a couple of weeks ago and am doing great. My goal by July 4th is to be under 350 (-12 pounds from now), and maintain at least 100oz of water daily.
~*Kimbers*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #111
Major LCF Poster!

Kim!!! At the start of your journey it is certainly doable. You're doing great!!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #112
Major LCF Poster!

No nuts or pork skins yesterday!! Yay!! Down a few pounds of water weight from all the salty snacks. Going to make it thru today too!!
Hope everyone is doing great today!!!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #113
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
JoanneO, Gardner is not far away, as I live near Nashua. Maybe some day we could meet up.

Recovery is up and down. Emotionally I am challenged while the brain heals. If it weren't for these boards and an occasional OA mtg, I would feel totally isolated since I can't drive. It is a lesson in patience and reliance in others, not my strong suits.
I'd love to meet up someday, my mom grew up in Nashua, as a kid we used to go visit my Memere every weekend, she lived on Ash St, and Duhamel's was right around the corner... we'd get a nickel to go buy some penny candy. In those days you could buy a LOT for a nickel lol.

We are a lot alike in many ways. I hated having to rely on others after my surgeries. Drove me nuts not to be able to do things for myself, or get out, or drive. Eventually I had more "up" than "down" days, and I'm sending good thoughts out that you will have the same soon
Old 05-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #114
Senior LCF Member

Welcome Kim ! Good goals, you are on your way

Way to go Cloud ! great news !
Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #115
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: ~*Kimbers*~
Stats: 373/360/175
Start Date: 05/10/2014
Thanks!!!!
~*Kimbers*~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #116
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome Kim... Hop on board

JoanneO, sounds like fun!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:52 PM   #117
Major LCF Poster!

I have eaten well all day and I will not be having any nuts or pork skins this evening!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

Where are you Cindy???
Old 05-26-2014, 05:58 PM   #119
Major LCF Poster!

I'm going to bed. Didn't cave and eat snacks!!
Old 05-26-2014, 07:28 PM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/240/150
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
Kim!

OnCloud9- Good Job avoiding those snacks!

JustJo- I don't know when, but I think it has clicked with me too that this is a new way of eating. All the other times I have "done Atkins" I always saw an end to the "diet". I would imagine myself eating what I wanted only in my new skinny body. I've come to realize that I will eat this way for the rest of my life. I cannot go back to carbs. They make me sick! I feel so much better now that I do not want to fill my body with junk that makes me feel bad.

I'm only 3 months in this time around and so far have been committed to this WOE. I only hope that later on I do not lose my resolve. I guess time will tell.