Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #391
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/27/13
Cindy- Proud of you for sticking to your plan during a difficult time. You're amazing!!!! Praying for you!
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #392
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Just Jo
Stats: 265/120/130 BMI=20.6
WOE: Atkins '72 & IF: Daily kcals <1400 & <12 carbs
Start Date: Repeat Offender: May '13 = 265 & 5 July '13 = 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
JustJo, I totally relate. The urge to eat the crappy carbs is held at bay so long as I don't take the first bit of them, but when I do, it sets off the obsessive thoughts and I can't stop thinking about eating thm until they are all gone or I have made myself sick. It can happen even with healthy foods. It is one reason why I use a kitchen scale to weigh & measure my portions at mealtime. The meter in my brain that measures satiety doesn't work, even now.

I am Mary, and I am a food addict and compulsive overeater. I love to eat, so I do it just 3 times a day.
Wow, I guess a lot of us suffer from what I like to now call: "I’m only hungry when I start putting FOOD in my mouth!” syndrome. I've got portion control issues, so of course I overeat -- even "legal" foods, that's why I don't have cheese or nuts in the house, cause I can't control myself. The BF has to hide away the pork rinds (my all time FAVORITE non carb food) and portion it out for me because I am that WEAK.

I've read other threads where peeps talk about maintaining the weight loss or have questions about maintaining... one thing that comes up is "are you always going to have to weigh & measure your food?"

I'm glad to hear you still do Mary, cause you know darn tooting that I am going too as well because I REFUSE to REGAIN!
Just Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #393
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qurlybee View Post
Ha!
Love that!
I much prefer eating larger meals, too, now that I don't count cals. I either ate within a window or ate 1-2 meals when I was primal and I really liked it but I got impatient with the slower weight loss of having higher carbs. I hadn't thought of doing it with VLC. I may try that soon!
I don't know about you qurlybee, I love me a BIG meal. I'd rather wait it out and have it all at once. I love that I'm so "full" I can barely move feeling... but since it's VLC, I don't get the lethargy that one would get with all those crappy killer carbs. Where after you eat those carbs, you gotta take a nap. Does that make sense??
Old 06-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #394
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/259.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
Thank you everyone for welcoming me back. All of you are so inspirational to me.

MaryMary - hope that you get your dog!!!

Just got home from running around with the kids. Walked a lap around the track, my hip didn't hurt at all, good sign. Did some exercise earlier today.

Had a great low carb weekend, hope everyone else had one as well.
sk8termom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 PM   #395
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
MaryMary- Hope you get your doggy! If not, you have a great attitude as usual and you can get another!!

Have fun on your trip Lady! A short trip can really do so much good!!

JJ- What part of Florida are you visiting? Florida is my favorite vacation spot!! Been going since I was a teenager. Have been to many parts but Panama City Beach is my favorite. Probably because it's the shortest drive! Lol Haven't been yet this year but have reservations for a week in August and a week in September.

JoLynn- My sweet cravings come when I'm in a restaurant. They always have the pictures right in front of you!! At home it's snack foods. I want chips and nuts.

My dad retired from the AF and we moved to Winter Park when I was in HS (this was the first time I had ever lived in the US). My dad still lives in Winter Park, my twin bro, in Deltona and my youngest DD in Tampa Bay. So that's where my oldest DD (who lives in Phoenix) and I will be for our Girls Get-Away.

Funny thing is, I take a plane out of El Paso, Texas (closest airport from where I live, still a 2 hour drive away) and fly West to Phoenix to go East to Orlando -- it will be non stop from Phnx to Orlando, so no stopping in Dallas or Atlanta, thank goodness.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #396
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoMtnLady View Post
I leave Thursday for a long weekend back to the town where we lived for 32 years. I have not been there in 6 months and 60 lbs ago. I went shopping yesterday and got some great new, smaller clothes. First time in a long time that I actually enjoyed shopping. I have been focusing so hard on this goal of seeing everyone this weekend, I need to find something to replace that goal so that I don't back slide once this is over. I am a little scared but I hope my resolve and will power will keep me going down.
I can't wait to hear what they all say about the new "thinner" you. It's going to be exciting!!

I can appreciate what you said about replacing that goal (I assume it was being thinner for your adventure to your hometown...) Why don't you plan a "weight goal met" mini vacation some place fun for your next reward? There's nothing wrong with rewarding yourself for a job well done especially if it motivates you to stay the course.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #397
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Fields View Post
If I meet my goal, I'm treating myself to a new bottle of nail polish and a pedicure.
Holy Hannah Strawberry, I have got to share this with you. I went and got myself all dolled up for my trip. Whilst I was at my hairdresser I asked her where she got her nails done. I haven't had a mani or pedi in years. I play the guitar, so I keep my nails really short and do my own. Anyhow...

I had my toes and finger nails polished with a new “gel” polish (it’s the same color sparkly green as my mustang, my favorite color). The "gel" nail polish is suppose to last about a month. When he was done, he wiped something on them and they were instantly dry. The polish feels different than any other I've ever tried. I will let you know if it lasts as long as "they" say!

Just wanted to share that with you...
Old 06-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #398
Major LCF Poster!

Ohhhh, I want gel nails and toes!! That would be great if it does stay on that long!!
Old 06-23-2014, 12:00 AM   #399
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Auntie
WOE: LOw Carb
Start Date: 6/20/14
Thank you all for the warm welcome....I appreciate how welcoming you all are.
Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:04 AM   #400
Junior LCF Member

Does anyone have any experience with almond milk? I have found a couple of unsweetened brands that have net one or net zero carbs. I would like something other than heavy cream to cook with and use in my coffee.

Have a blessed week everyone.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:29 AM   #401
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/238/150
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
I get the Vanilla unsweetened almond milk to blend up berry smoothies. I've also used coconut milk. Very good and low carb.
JoLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 AM   #402
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoLynn
Stats: 286/238/150
Start Date: Restart Mar '14
I think that some of my cravings have to due with the time of year and summer traditions. We just went through cherry season. Now Peaches, corn, melons are coming into season. We used to have an abundance of fresh fruit in the house at all times during the summer months.
I bet when fall rolls around I'll start craving things like pumpkin pie, and oatmeal cookies. I need to break my body of these seasonal expectations.
JoLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #403
Junior LCF Member

Thanks JoLynn! I will pick some up at the market tomorrow.

I don't have a sub for the fruit ( I wish I did) but last fall I made the MIM with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. Came out like a very moist pumpkin bread. Was a great treat on a cold morning and they made the house smell divine.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:42 AM   #404
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 317/268/130
Start Date: June 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo View Post
Holy Hannah Strawberry, I have got to share this with you. I went and got myself all dolled up for my trip. Whilst I was at my hairdresser I asked her where she got her nails done. I haven't had a mani or pedi in years. I play the guitar, so I keep my nails really short and do my own. Anyhow...

I had my toes and finger nails polished with a new “gel” polish (it’s the same color sparkly green as my mustang, my favorite color). The "gel" nail polish is suppose to last about a month. When he was done, he wiped something on them and they were instantly dry. The polish feels different than any other I've ever tried. I will let you know if it lasts as long as "they" say!

Just wanted to share that with you...
Let me know how it holds up! I've seen the new gel stuff around, but worried it would be a lot like the fake nail resin type stuff and be hard to remove. But it does sound pretty....I had my eye on some green nail polish too
Strawberry Fields is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 AM   #405
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
Thanks JoLynn! I will pick some up at the market tomorrow.

I don't have a sub for the fruit ( I wish I did) but last fall I made the MIM with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices. Came out like a very moist pumpkin bread. Was a great treat on a cold morning and they made the house smell divine.
This sounds yummy but......what is MIM?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 AM   #406
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
Does anyone have any experience with almond milk? I have found a couple of unsweetened brands that have net one or net zero carbs. I would like something other than heavy cream to cook with and use in my coffee.

Have a blessed week everyone.
Hey Auntie!! I've used all the Almond "Milk" and Coconut "Milk" Unsweetened products -- they are yummy especially at <1 or 1 carb (actual carbs) and btwn 30-45 kcals for 8 oz depending on the flavor. I haven't cooked with them but I think they have recipes on the Blue Almond Breeze and Silk website, if I remember correctly. Let us know when you cook with them and what you've made. I'm curious to know if they react the same way that HWC or milk would in recipes.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 AM   #407
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLynn View Post
I think that some of my cravings have to due with the time of year and summer traditions. We just went through cherry season. Now Peaches, corn, melons are coming into season. We used to have an abundance of fresh fruit in the house at all times during the summer months.
I bet when fall rolls around I'll start craving things like pumpkin pie, and oatmeal cookies. I need to break my body of these seasonal expectations.
That's so understandable! We associate different foods with the seasons and with holidays/events. We are a society that celebrates everything with food. Let us know what you do to break those seasonal expectations!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:21 AM   #408
Major LCF Poster!

Speaking of which, now that we are all being ever vigilant with our different WOE, how do you celebrate your own b'day?

Do you go off plan for a piece of b'day cake with ice cream or do you stay the course and have something "legal" on plan and what is it??

Inquiring minds (ME ME ME) wanna know.

Last edited by Just Jo; 06-23-2014 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: Silly fingers....UGH!!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 AM   #409
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Fields View Post
Let me know how it holds up! I've seen the new gel stuff around, but worried it would be a lot like the fake nail resin type stuff and be hard to remove. But it does sound pretty....I had my eye on some green nail polish too
You are so right, it does feel like the fake nail resin -- that's exactly it. So if it's hard to remove, then it will last longer than a week like regular nail polish! I green!
Old 06-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #410
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/229/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Quote:
Speaking of which, now that we are all being ever vigilant with our different WOE, how do you celebrate your own b'day?

Do you go off plan for a piece of b'day cake with ice cream or do you stay the course and have something "legal" on plan and what is it??

Good timing on your question, my b-day is in a couple weeks. Had contemplated cake, but I know that's too dangerous for me. The flour/sugar combo just sets me off. Ice cream on the other hand does not. Don't have it every day, but I am able to have 1/2 cup and be satisfied. Thinking I may do small ice cream "cupcakes" and have toppings available for the family.
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 AM   #411
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: JoanneO
Stats: 253/229/140
WOE: Moderate carbs, real food, portion control
Start Date: February 13, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLynn View Post
Dec 2011 I quit smoking for like the 1,000th time. Cold turkey and it stuck. I think my success this time was because I fully understood that for the rest of my life, that craving for a smoke would from time to time rear it's ugly head. And that as long as I recognized and acknowledged it for what it was - just a stupid craving - it would go away and leave me alone.

I'm trying to do the same with food cravings. It's harder.
JoanneO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #412
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I have a summer birthday. Last year I stayed on plan. Two years ago I had a beer, offered to me by a long time friend/acquaintance, during which time of drinking we discovered we were born on the same day over 60 years ago. That was kind of cosmic.
This year I will do nothing special. Stick to plan. My DH will be traveling and I will be home alone, easy peasy. I always am more challenged when there are people around. Last few Thanksgivings and holidays my children have been elsewhere. I missed them, but it makes eating so simple. This year I believe they will be "home for the holidays." I am pretty focused and on plan right now, so my strategy will be just to really think ahead and know what is my food and what is not . . . and get any extra stuff out of the house immediately upon their departure. My goal is to do this without being seen as a stick-in-the mud, but whatever it takes I plan not to waver.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM   #413
Major LCF Poster!

Joanne- Yay!!!! No more smoking!! That's amazing. I have friends and family that have tried with some succeeding and some not.

My birthday was March 12th and I shared a large complimentary piece of cake with our table of four. I had planned to abstain but there was a very serious family crisis that played out in our favor ON that day. I ate some cake but went right back on program the next day.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 AM   #414
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: cindym
Stats: 350(Dr.'s office)/320/200
Start Date: Off and on since 26Feb01
WOW .... everyone has been busy. I worked 12 hours yesterday and came home and went to bed. So tired. Food it good, no change with DH. We are talking but haven't come up with any solutions.

Prayers and thoughts are so appreciated.

Just getting ready to go to a meeting and it is another long day ....
cindym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:10 PM   #415
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Hey Auntie!! I've used all the Almond "Milk" and Coconut "Milk" Unsweetened products -- they are yummy especially at <1 or 1 carb (actual carbs) and btwn 30-45 kcals for 8 oz depending on the flavor. I haven't cooked with them but I think they have recipes on the Blue Almond Breeze and Silk website, if I remember correctly. Let us know when you cook with them and what you've made. I'm curious to know if they react the same way that HWC or milk would in recipes.
Whatever you do, don't try to make instant pudding with it! I did once when I was trying low calorie dieting, and it didn't set. I think I searched online and found that you could do it if you used a lot less almond milk, but then you wouldn't get very much pudding - so I didn't see the point of trying that.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #416
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

I don't think I've ever been on a new/specific woe on my birthday before. If so, I'm sure I cheated and had whatever I wanted. I do remember the last time I was on Atkins though and Thanksgiving/Christmas rolled around. I brought salad to the family Thanksgiving dinner and ate it with turkey. For this past Father's Day, I served everyone pound cake with berries and whipped cream. I had the same except for the cake. I didn't make a big deal out of it and I'm not sure anyone noticed.

I am determined this time to not go off plan at family gatherings. If anyone gives me a hard time about the food, I'm just going to say - "We are here to have fun and spend time with one another. The important thing is that I am here with all of you; it shouldn't matter what food I eat or don't eat."
Old 06-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #417
Junior LCF Member

Years ago, my favorite BD indulgence was a slice of good cheesecake. I loved Dark Forest or a simple lemon cheesecake with blackberries ( it is way yummy so quit rolling your eyes :-) ) I can have the chocolate or lemon cheesecake now if I tweak it to my WOE- no graham crust or fruit but still a lovely treat.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #418
Junior LCF Member

Strawberry, MIM is muffin in a minute. A low carb muffin like morsel that can be a life saver when you think you want carbs but want to be good. I am not sure if this is the place to post a recipe but if not, I will beg forgiveness later. The beauty of MIM is there are so many variations. You are only limited by your own imagination.
Here is the basic idea:

Muffin in a minute

Melt 1 T butter in a coffee cup or measuring cup
Mix in ¼ cup flaxseed meal, (can use almond meal, oat fiber, coconut flour or a* mixture, i.e. half flax, half almond)
½ tsp baking powder
1 egg
Sweetener (to personal taste): 1 tsp xylitol or 1-2 Spenda pkts or 1 T S/F flavored syrup (Torani/Da Vinci)

Mix well – microwave approximately 50-60 seconds (depending on micro wattage).Turn out and let cool. Muffin top should look shiny and a little moist. Serve w/butter or cream cheese while warm or plastic wrap for later.

To get you started, here are a few ideas...

Banana Bread Muffin:* Add cinnamon/nutmeg, S/F Banana Syrup/extract, and nuts
Breakfast Muffin:* Add cinnamon, vanilla,
Spice Muffin:* Add cinnamon, allspice, and cloves
Cheese Muffin:* Add garlic powder and cheese of choice.*
Chocolate-Raspberry Muffin:* add S/F Chocolate and Raspberry syrups, and a cream cheese cube in the center.* * * * * * *

The I survived Dominos Lava Muffin

1/4 Cup Almond Flour
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Splenda (more or less),
1 Tbsp unsweetened Baking Cocoa
1 Egg
2 tsp. Butter or Olive Oil
2 pieces S/F Chocolate Candy on top of mixture.

Nuke for a minute or two until it is set. Let it rest for a few moments so you don't burn your mouth.

I usually use a combination of golden flax meal and a little almond flour ( 3/4 c flax meal and 1/4 c almond flour)

Once you have a ratio you like for your flax/flour meal, double or triple your batch and keep in in a container in the fridge. It makes for a quick breakfast or snack when you feel tempted.

Last edited by Auntie; 06-23-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #419
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 153
Start Date: Jan 2001
I don't know how to attach a picture of Binzi. Nhe came home with us this afternoon and is forever ours.

I had to make it my Avatar - Yeh!

Last edited by MaryMary; 06-23-2014 at 04:26 PM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #420
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Well done Mary!
So happy for you and the pup!
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote