LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ShellyBelle
Stats: 352/323/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Re-start 9/15/14
Calories..?

Obviously, I have a lot of weight to lose...I've been keeping track of food and with the exception of one carby day (not bad carbs...just ate a whole avocado and a huge salad) I've stayed at or under 20 TOTAL carbs. Do you guys watch calories at this stage in the game? I notice I've been hitting around 1800 a day and I'm worried this might be too much. (I love meat and fat! LOL)

Thoughts?
ShellyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/27/13
In the beginning, I didn't really look at calories. I do think though that after a few months, you need to watch them somewhat. I don't mean that you need to cut way down; just be sure you're not being excessive. My opinion.
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you're losing weight, then your calorie level is fine. Even with low-carb, you don't lose weight without a caloric deficit, but Dr. Atkins assumed that the satiety of ketosis would keep people in a caloric deficit. And that's how it works for most people.

I'm severely metabolically resistant, hypothyroid, and post-menopausal. When I began losing at over 300lbs, a nutritionist insisted that I should eat no less than 1800 cal. But I already knew myself; even at that weight, I'd gain on 1800 cal. I needed to eat no more than 1200 (but keep in mind all the issues I have that require the low calories).

So the caloric level is irrelevant, unless you don't lose. Then you may consider lowering calories to see if that's the issue. Dr. Atkins and Dr. Eades both identified the major reason why people on low-carb plans stop losing--carb creep or calorie creep. In other words, the WOE becomes familiar, and gradually we stray into either too many carbs or overeating low carb.

Also keep in mind that when you lose a lot of weight, you often have to eat less to lose. I 'stalled' after losing about 80 lbs, not realizing that my 'smaller' body needed less food.

Sorry if this is much more than you asked
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Parisfox
Stats: 247/..../160
WOE: LC & VLC
Start Date: Repeat Offender!
Leo....Great advice. Definitely NOT too much info. I'm the same way. If I eat anywhere near what "they" say I should I gain. I, too, am metabolically resistant, hypothyroid, and post-menopausal. NOT a good time to be overweight.

Your WOE says LC and Calorie Cycling. I get LC...I do that. But what do you do re: Calorie Cycling??? If you'd rather not put the answer in Shelly's thread, you can IM me. Thanks...
Parisfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ShellyBelle
Stats: 352/323/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: Re-start 9/15/14
Thank you so much Leo!! That helps me to understand...I've noticed the last few days my calories have been a bit high...and I haven't lost anything. I will re-evaluate and try to lower my caloric intake this coming week to see how I do. I don't know why I've been so hungry - I'm normally struggling to get enough fat.
ShellyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Judy-
When I got to about 250 lbs, I could lose only at about 1,000 cal a day--900 was better. However, that was really frustrating to do on a daily basis. Then I discovered JUDDD--which is alternate day 'dieting.' I developed my own version.

I ate 400 cal on MWF, and 1400 cal on Tues., Thurs., Sat. and on Sundays, I ate 900 cal. (I would switch Sat. and Sunday depending on social commitments).
This averaged 900 cal a day.

When I was doing this, someone posted her experience with Weight Watchers. She had stalled, but using the exact same number of points, but cycling them low and high during the week, she was able to lose again. There's something about the variation that helps somehow.

My endo was amazed at this and thought it was a great idea. I lost to goal this way--low carb always.

Now I maintain by having a 'lower calorie' day as needed because I cannot eat over 1,100 cal without gaining. However, my smaller body at this age really doesn't want or need any more food than that. It's my 'head' that wants to eat more, and that's what I need to control.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote