Old 11-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: HiTekRedNeck
Stats: 550/505/250
WOE: LC Paleo
Start Date: 11/29/2013
Reintroduction

Im D.

This is my second time around. I got a handle on this once before, with help from a lot of people right here, when I was in my early 30s dropping from 490 down to around 350 (which for me, at 6'7" with a Clydesdale frame was pretty fit). Then I got married, had a kid, went to grad school while working full time, and then started a business while working full time.... I am winding that all down because my health will simply no longer allow it.

Now Im 45, at 505, down from 550, and needing to reinvent this process. I am now diabetic, have considerably less muscle mass than I used to, really bad lower back/hips, knees/ankles, feet, and I have probably aged 20 years in the last 10 from stress and working 80 hours a week.

The good news is that Im down to about 60 hours a week. The bad news is that since I have some debt to pay off, that isn't going to go down appreciably for at least a year, and I no longer want to wait. I don't think I can put this off much longer without having some serious consequences.

I could use some advice from some of you who have done this with busy lives in your 40s, without access to a gymn, or a real kitchen... or a car, LOL, how you made it happen.

The plan right now is to focus on one pot, crockpot meals, canned veg and avocados. Stay super low carb, fill the crockpot at bedtime and empty it in the morning for breakfast/lunch/dinner.

Exercise... well, I already walk 2-3 miles a day, and the pain is off the rails. I have tried body weight calisthenics and the joints just cant handle it. At this point my plan is to focus on what I put in my face for a month or two, so I can get the body weight down 50+ lbs, and gradually reintroduce squats, pushups, etc.

I would like to get back to where I can carry myself, hike, camp, do jujutsu, and work physically all day again. I suspect that at 45, that is around 250, and I'll probably have to lean out a bit more once as I age to keep active...

I could use someone to keep me honest. If you have something in common (age, size, busy life, broke as hell, etc.) please hit me up. Let's keep each other going.

I could really use some ideas on how to do very simple paleo oriented crockpot cooking. By simple I mean one pot, eat it all day, have it be nutritionally balanced, and filling, and low carb. I think it can be done. I just have to figure out how. I have only 30 min a day to cook sometimes and I have to make that count.

I could really use some ideas on how to rebuild some muscle mass without a gymn membership, and with really bad joints. None of the things I used to able to do work now. I have to relearn everything.

That's it. I hope to report good progress over the next year or two. The alternative would suck.
HiTekRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
The crockpot plan sound like a good one to me.
Just be sure that the veggies are low carb . . . green beans, that sort of thing.
You can buy inexpensive cuts of meat. Don't overdo the avocados . . . Atkins induction was 1/2 small per day. You could likely to one, but I don't know how many you intend to eat. Are you male or female? I really can't tell from your post.
(Upon rereading, at your height, you are likely a male.)
Good luck. Sounds like you have made the commitment. That is so important.
Don't overdo the exercise. Your first returns will come from diet . . . after a while you can gradually increase the exercise.

Last edited by Patience; 11-29-2013 at 09:06 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
The crockpot plan sound like a good one to me.
Just be sure that the veggies are low carb . . . green beans, that sort of thing.
You can buy inexpensive cuts of meat. Don't overdo the avocados . . . Atkins inducation was 1/2 small per day. You could likely to one, but I don't know how many you intend to each. Are you male or female? I really can't tell from your post.
Good luck. Sounds like you have made the commitment. That is so important.
Im a man, thank God. At 500 lbs, 6'7" and bones of a Klingon, I'd have a few more challenges otherwise.

I have discovered that avocado is necessary, even though I don't really care for them, for me to maintain this lifestyle, otherwise I suffer from the dreaded 'blarney stones' which will tear me up quite literally. Magnesium supplementation is also helpful.

My big challenge really is finding recipes with enough nutrition, but no carbs. Most veggies will turn to slush after 8 hours in a slow cooker. Which is why I am trying to supplement with canned greens and avo, just to be safe.

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

The slush is not so bad in the sense that I think the taste would still be there and the nutrients are not going anywhere.

You could add frozen, and overnight on the low setting, they might keep their shape longer.

The other thought I have is that if you want want you canned veggies to keep their shape, just add them before eating. Let the pot do the work on the meat and seasonings. Since canned are already cooked, you could just stir them in right before eating.

How ya doing today?
Old 11-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I'm good. Just prepping my crockpot station today and shopping for the next couple of days. I'm fortunate to have a grocer about a quarter.mile from thehouse. Dreading the withdrawala. Last time I did this I liked non stop for about 36 hours. Hopefully this run will be more kind
Old 12-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kath17
Stats: 415/261.4/240
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: May 12, 2013
Welcome I don't know if you have time on the weekends , but if you did you could prepare a number of different foods then and freeze so you have a variety to choose from.

Kathy
Kath17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: andipand
Stats: 293/287/150
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 08/04/2014
Welcome and Good Luck. This is an excellent support thread. There used to be so many more people here in the century club. Let's hope it's because everyone met their weight loss goals - Yay.

Walking 2 to 3 miles a day is awesome - keep thiat up. Everyone else had some good ideas for crockpot cooking. I'm not as up on paleo as I would like so i can't comment on the food....
andipand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sk8termom
Stats: 291/259.5/170
WOE: modified Atkins
Start Date: April 1, 2014
Welcome!!!!! I'm a crock-pot cooker as well!
sk8termom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: slvrmoon
I've also pulled down my crock pot. I bought the crock pot liner bags as well because we have an issue with cleaning it right away - LOL.
slvrmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Never heard of crock pot liner bags!

But it is good weather for one pot cooking, letting the crock pot do the work.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:16 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
I renetly saw a low carb crock pot or slow cooker recipe book. I got the 3in1 for Christmas and used it yesterday. I also got a vegan slow cooker cookbook for Cristmas. My husband loves the stuff so far.

I saw a movie tonight called Fat Sick and Nearly Dead. You could possibly get a quick start from that. It is a good movie.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FattyBoBatty
Stats: 250.4/224/150 (5'4")
WOE: South Beachin' Atkins
Start Date: January 6, 2014
HiTekRednek, did you continue with Atkins? Were you able to find any good low-carb crockpot recipes? I would love to be able to do that as well instead of making 2 different meals at lunch and dinner. It would be cost and time effective. Hope you're doing well!
FattyBoBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

I just found this link in the Recipe Forum on Low Carb Slow Cooker Recipes

Add your favorite Crock Pot Recipe!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: FattyBoBatty
Stats: 250.4/224/150 (5'4")
WOE: South Beachin' Atkins
Start Date: January 6, 2014
None of them have an actual carb count.
FattyBoBatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

You can figure out the carb count by entering the ingredients and measurements into an online tool. There are plenty of them out there.