Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
What's Your "Epiphany" Jingle Bell Challenge?

Come join us on What's Your "Epiphany" Jingle Bell Challenge? through January 6, 2014. Think of the amazing things we can accomplish in 9 weeks!!! The rules are: No Rules! Feel free to join during any stage of this challenge!!!

We were thinking that Epiphany might mean that moment when you made the decision to change your life, a paradigm shift. What prompted you? Epiphany is also the day we celebrate the message of love being announced to the world through a story of the 3 kings. It is a time to love not only our family and friends, but ourselves too. How can you show yourself that you re worth being loved by you? Let the Jingle Bells rock!

Pick your own personal challenge based on whatever is important to you! and come report in whenever it suits you. Some will have a specific weight loss as a goal and some of us will have goals based only on desirable behaviors. We are all at a different place on this journey A goal could be as simple as coming in to post .. Think outside the box. What do **you** need to keep you going?

We Can Do This!

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 05:00 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chris 232
Stats: 242.8/230.6/133 5'6" age 64
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 2/2006, restart 2/2012 & 7/2014
Well, it is my first day back and almost back to my previous highest weight. Being on here daily or weekly had made the difference in being accountable to myself. So here I am again. My goal---to lose weight obviously, but only through December 30, I'll miss the last week. I've got a very busy January.
Because I got rid of my fat clothes when I lost 60 lbs last year, I have very few things to wear. It is cold and even my sweatshirts are tight. So I have to lose some weight.

I've become lax in my faith devotionals, feeling more self-centered and depressed--and having a cold right now doesn't help either. Anyway today is a new day.
I will enjoy hearing about all of your lives as we journey together during the next few weeks
Chris 232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
Start Date: July 2013
Hi All,

I would love to join you on this challenge. My goal will be 20 pounds. That would bring me down to 212. I look forward to this challenge. Chris my clothes are big on me too. All I wear are my yoga pants and even these are baggy. I refuse to buy clothes until I truly need them.

Good Luck to All, We can do this!
Sammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Hi Chris, great having you join in.
Time for me to regroup, too.
Right now, it's working on being patient, and flowing with my emotions.
I won't have a weight goal, but will focus on things I can control.
That includes what goes into my mouth, but not what the scale says.
That's just one many indicators

Let's rock it and hear those bells ring!
More from me about the epiphany as the season moves on.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
new and familiar friends!! My goal for this challenge is to at least maintain but would love to get to 249lbs by Christmas....I'm hovering around 260 right now with a rough weekend in store. Good luck everyone!!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: groovygiirl
Stats: 301/261.6/200
Start Date: Feb 13, 2013
Hi everyone I'm goal for this challenge is to lose 20 lbs. would like it to be more but I'll be pretty happy if I can accomplish this by Jan. 6th.
groovygiirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: DesertGurl
Start Date: 8/22/14
Would love to join in here!

Setting a goal of just 10lbs for the challenge. Admittedly I am somewhat of a slow loser so losing 10 will be major progress, especially over the holidays.
I have come to accept that I cannot lose weight like I used to, and I am prefectly ok with it. More important to me is that I continue to hold myself accountable, keep trying, and set and keep the promises I make for myself.

Look forward to spending the holidays with you all!

Starting Weight: 239.4
Goal: 229.4
DesertGurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: pawleys14
Stats: 305/277.8/175
Start Date: restarting August 11, 2013
yes, I am joining... goal to drop 20 pounds... and do some type of exercise every day......
pawleys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

ok, it sound like 20 lbs is somthing to aim for, so I after that goal too.
Pawleys14- you have a Derek too! I have one, but my son who is 33, born in October. It is amazing how many different ways that I've seen that name spelled. But I wanted a name without a nick name. No grandschildren from either of my sons, oh well.

Nov 2 - down 1.8 = 228.2
Old 11-02-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

chris - my little Derek is 4 1/2 - my grandbabies are the loves of my life... just wish that we were not soooo far apart . I am in Sc. they are in Michigan.... but we Skype a lot....

my name is Diana and my older son is Erik.... so Matthew and Michelle named him Derek - for the two of us..... I think that was sooo sweet....

I have been up and down this past week... was dog/house sitting and did not eat the best but on track again..... was way down on Monday.. but then ate some things I should NOT of eaten - but going back down again.... thing is my metabolish has always been strong.. even as I age... so if I eat really clean I can drop pounds.... but it also works the other way... if I eat bad carbs... yes I gain...

so I really have to get my mindset back..... and lose.....

everyone have a great day

Proud Grandma to Kyle and Derek - the loves of my life.... granddaughter Abigail (Abby)

May today there be peace within you. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.
I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Great how they derived Derek from your names. Chris how do you figure no nickname from Derek. I know Ricks and Erics that started from Dereks.

Danielle, I just love this:

I have come to accept that I cannot lose weight like I used to, and I am prefectly ok with it. More important to me is that I continue to hold myself accountable, keep trying, and set and keep the promises I make for myself.

You have given me some ideas for my own goals. I hope you don't mind if I borrow (with credit)?

Last edited by Patience; 11-02-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Not at all, Bella! I'm only happy that something I wrote resonates with someone else.

I've had a long road with the battle of weight loss... I was successful about 12 years ago, when I dropped about 80lbs and was within 25'ish lbs from my ultimate goal of 125. It was my first real attempt at weight loss and I was so naive in many ways..eventually I lost hold of my grip, life threw its curve balls and I began to regain slowly over the next several years, plus some. After that it was attempt after attempt to regain that "mojo" I had, only to fail and fail again.. Well, what I didn't realize was, I was actually doing quite well, but I was all too much of in a hurry to get it off no matter how. Ffwd a few years and I have learned a thing or 2 (a ton!) and woken up to the realization that as long as I continue on the path I set before me and continue to try and try some more, *that* is all that matters. The real wake-up call for me was when I realized that NO ONE else was beating me down but ME. I'm my own worst critic and I can be extremely hard on myself. The last several months are teaching me how to let go, trust the process, be myself, and believe that in the end this will all work out. Also, learning that the journey never truly "ends", that it will always be a work in progress, even in maintenance. This is something I've not ever been able to wrap my head around until recently...always the mindset that when I got to that number I'd be 'done' .. Not so fast, right?....Definite work in progress over here!

My Journal:
♥Choose More, Lose More....Aventures In Carb-Cycling.......♥

"Belief gives you the power to achieve the extraordinary" ~Chris Powell
Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi everyone,
My watch that counts my steps died this morning. I am going to see if there is a way to change its battery. So I went searching for another one. The ones that hook up to a PC we very expensive and I don't want to wear a chest band to measure heart rate.

I settled on one from New Balance for 59.95 and when I got it home, it didn't work. I will try to change the battery on that one and if it doesn't work, I will retrieve my battery and return it. I shoukd have known since the box it came in looked as if it had been opened.

Getting my hair done this afternoon then raking. I want a watch to wear before all the exercising.

I have been switching over to vegetarian for a while now. I eat low carb plant based for breakfat and lunch. Still have my greek yogurt for supper with salad. That will be the next one to attempt to change.

Goal this challenge is to attempt to walk 10,000 steps a day and have a few vegan days a week. Still low carb but on maintenance levels. I have never maintained my weight before for any length of time.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

names--as a Christine, it has always been shortened Chris. I guess you can make a nick name out of anything, but around here they just try to shorten your name. So Derek would only become Der or Ek-never Eric. we have a friend named Ronald who goes by Ron--so when I named my older son Aaron-he said 'oh Ronnie'--I immediately said 'No his name is Aaron'. He was the only person who tried to change my son's name.
I know a guy whose name is Richard and he named his son Richard, but the father is called Rich and the son Chie.

Anyway I was eating some chicken, and then thought I'm not hungry anymore--so I will finish the rest on my plate for dinner. It is only the first week of this plan, so I'm still strong, we'll see what happend mid December. I've already cancelled a sign-up for my garden club pot luck---always a downfall evening for me. I'm sure the party will go on just fine without me.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Starrhae
Stats: 11/2003 185/155 restart7/30/2013149/134.8/125
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 7/30/2013
I just found the new board !! I am ready to bring the NewYear in a healthier me!I want to keep on keeping on and do the best I can!!! That is my goal!!
Starrhae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Danielle - wow - what you said..... I could be saying that...... I would sabotage myself at times.... will really try hard not to do that again.... I know that I will never be perfect on this WOE... I am only human... but by trying hard I will reach my goal....

mary - sorry that your watch died...hope you can get something that works..

chris - I have never really liked nick names..... my oldest son Erik and my FIL (always a joker) called him Ric - I sure shut him down on that one... other son Matthew and I do not call him Matt very often.. other people do,,, but I love name Matthew.... just like I love the name David... and have always called any of my friends that are named David - David - never Dave or Davey

starr - yes, I agree I also want to be healthier for the coming year......
Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

This was in my Facebook feed this morning....By Chris Powell.
I LOVE it. This has been what I've kinda adapted over the last couple months...on a quest for transformation in every aspect. Changing my perception has made a MAJOR difference on my journey.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Danielle,I love it!! Thanks for sharing!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 02:10 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Danielle and Desertgirl- what a powerful statement. it referrs to everthing in life-from dieting to faith.I need to reread that often-maybe print it out and put it near my TV chair.

MaryMary - Is your new watch working? Hopefully my legs will feel better soon and I can start walking. somedays I can barely walk between the chair & bathroom. pain and stiffness, and to think that in the 70's we owned a quad, so I did steps all day withoutholding the railing, Now I use the railing to putt myself up stairs, glad we own a ranch house now.

well down a lb: 230
11/1 -1.8
11/2 -1 227.2
Old 11-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Danielle - wow just love that saying... going to pass that on to my friends..

was today 274.9 -my goal this week to eat really clean and do my WA and my walking DVD - and see what happens.... count and measure every bit of food that goes into my mouth
Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 AM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

The new watch battery we installed is working but I can't figure out how to set it so it is going back today. I will go buy my old standby.

We went and tried to replace the battery in the old one but it is in there tighter than a drum almost as if they don't want you changing them.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Glad someone else likes it as much as I do. It's on my screensaver so I see it often.

Diana, you can definitely do that this week! You're doing great!!
Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Returned the watch, bought my old standby. We did yardwork in between everything else that had to get done, cooking a couple days worth of salads. With the winds we had on Friday, there was a chunk of them. Still have to do the back yard.

As a result, I only had approx 5,000 steps on Saturday and again on Sunday. Now we are back on schedule.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Hi everyone! I was out of town for the weekend and haven't gotten in on the challenge yet.I've lost 46 lbs since May 27th. Only 6 lbs last month. Hmmmmm... I don't think I could lose 20lbs(I'd love to), at my age my metabolism is not what it used to be. I'm thinking that trying to up my walking might help me to lose 2 lbs a week. I'll set 16 lbs as my goal and not be mad at myself if I only lose 8. Today's weight=274. 258 would be goal(high goal) LOL
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kath17
Stats: 415/261.4/240
Start Date: May 12, 2013
Hi, I'd like to join in on this one. I would really like to see 100lbs gone by the new year; that's 23lbs. Not sure if I can do that, but would like to be as close as possible.

I'm not sure I had an epithany, but knew I was killing myself if I didn't change. I was having so many problems standing and walking, problems breathing, so on and so forth. I can say some things have improved some, but there's so much more room for improvement still. I do think that is what is keeping me going right now. I really can't tolerate being in pain all the time especially with my back.

I was starting having a lot of back problems a couple of years ago, but couldn't get x-rays because I was above their weight limit. I was so embarassed. At first I tried to lose some then, but it didn't last and went spiraling up faster than I'd ever gained before.

I have made a lot of strides so far this year, but want to reach around 100lbs gone and feel like I've accomplished something. And i really want to get to under 300 by my 40th birthday in March.

Kathy
Kath17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:13 AM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Welcome, Kathy, you can do it.

I was 376 lbs when I started here back in 2001. My Epiphany or "light bulb" moment came when I realized 2 things. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPap machine. My doctor said they don't know what causes sleep apnea, whether obesity causes it or whether sleep apnea causes the obesity. You wake up so tired from a restless sleep that you grab the first carby thing to get a quick energy kick.

Hand in hand with that, when I slept, I would wake up feeling like I couldn't breathe and the realization that this could and probaby will kill me. I had a dream that I died and my brothers (all of whom are older than me) had to carry my over-sized casket down the aisle in church . Very morbid I know.

So I called the local hospital and told them I wanted their WLS, they said I first had to come to their support meetings for 8 weeks (60 miles away) and lose 15 lbs. I said if I could lose 15 lbs, I wouldn't need your surgery. A co-worker overheard me. After I got off the phone feeling especially hopeless, she said to me, if you want to lose 15 lbs I can help you. She asked me if I thought I could stay away from sugar and grains. Thinking back to 1992, I did something similar, and said yes. She said she followed Atkins off and on and that we could help each other, sort of like the buddy system.

That's how it started on Jan 23, 2001. Five months later I found this website. Over the years I lost very slowly because my metabolism was so screwed up and I was on half a dozen different medications including a beta blocker. I read the books on low carb and did the best I could. I remember treating myself every Saturday morning to a slice of Ezekiel bread toasted with butter to have with my huge egg and cheese omelette. My rationale was that I didn't want to feel deprived and wanted to be able to make choices around food freely without setting myself up for a binge and mindless eating. By now my medicines had been discontinued except for a sleep med and a mikd anti depression med.

That first year I lost on average a lb a week, the second and third year 1/2 lb a week. I was around 300 lbs when I started looking into the surgery again. I was feeling as if it would never come off. So I started going to the hospital's support meetings (now right in my town) and met the staff. The meetings were free and I did what they said. We used the book "Habits not Diets" as a workbook. I didn't rush into anything. I started swimming and doing mild aerobic exercising at the YMCA because I had lost my job. That third yesr I lost 25 lbs.

It was then I realized I needed more structure and found on this website a person who followed a more structured version of low carb. She became my new buddy and we went to support groups on the phone. That year (2004) I lost 75 lbs. I am down now to 200 lbs but kept going to the WLS support meetings because they started to let me share how I was doing it. Attending a 12 step group now became an option or tool that was something for the candidates to consider instead of surgery. In year five I lost another 25 lbs and year six another 25 lbs until I got to where I am today, 146 lbs. I am still a member of the 12 step group and follow their guidelines, very Atkinesque if you work your way up the carb ladder as Atkins suggests. This summer, I was able to stop the sleep med when I realized I was sleeping just as good without it.

I am very grateful to God, my family, all the folks here and in my 12 step support group for being there for me when I needed it. I want ti give back what everyone so freely gave me.

That was my Epiphany!
Old 11-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
Start Date: July 2013
Mary your story is so inspiring . What kind of watch do you like? I would like to buy one.

Kath17 I am so happy you have joined our group. Let's help each other! You are doing great.
Sammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #28
Blabbermouth!!!

Kathy - you can do it.... and I will be on the journey with you......

Mary - wow your are just awesome... and you really are an inspiration for us all......

did my WA early this morning... and I worked really hard.... my sister did not go with me today... and I always work harder when I go alone.....

will do my walking DVD later this afternoon.... really trying to eat clean and up my exercise this week.......
Old 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
Start Date: 5/27/13
Epiphany- I was pretty average size all my life till after college. Yes, I dieted in high school but was so active that I stayed pretty 'normal'. Got married, had a handicapped child and an awful marriage. Stayed in it for 16 years. Fatter and fatter. Yoyo dieted the whole time. Married my now DH who loved me fat or thin! Hit the jackpot this time. Treats me like a queen. Well, 9 years ago, I did Atkins and was on here until I lost 110lbs, felt great and stopped posting. Also, stopped eating right and gained it all back plus. My health has deteriorated. I have been diagnosed with Stage 3 Renal Failure. Last year, I spent the week of Thanksgiving in the hospital and was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure. I knew I had to do something. I told my doctor that I would try to lose weight and she said she believed me because she knew I wanted to live. "Wanted to live????!!!!" Big eye opener. So, I came back to what I know works. I have a whole new attitude this time. I know this is a life change. I know I will never be "done" as Danielle said. I must continue in order to live. I am going to keep posting too. Mary is a great inspiration for keeping accountable through posting. I am doing my best without being obsessed and fanatical as I was the first time.I started out at 321 on May 27th and am now at 274. I am here because I DO want to live!

Last edited by oncloud9now2; 11-04-2013 at 08:54 AM..
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Mary!! Thank you for sharing your story!!!Your ambition has made me get out and walk more and more everyday!! Now to hear your whole story makes me want to be the healthiest I can be even more than before!!
Oncloud 9now2,your story is an eye opener and I know your going to do it!!

Kathy !! You r going to love this board and all the people who are here sharing !! Each day you will get up and read a new story that will make you keep on keeping on!! If u can buy a fitbit.Just seeing how many steps u made so far will make u want to move more!! You will do it!!!I ordered mine on Amazon for $55!!
I honor the place in you in which the entire Universe dwells, I honor the place in you which is of Love, of Integrity, of Wisdom and of Peace. When you are in that place in you, and I am in that place in me, we are One.