Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   Again w/the body cramps (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/812992-again-w-body-cramps.html)

brooke&kaitlynsmom 09-27-2013 03:31 AM

Again w/the body cramps

I woke up this morning with what feels like charlie horse's in the muscles up around my ribs. I never know which way to stretch to smooth those along like when they happen in the leg. Then, after that, I did get one in my leg and then one in my back while taking my shower. I can feel my muscles twinging, just waiting for me to make a wrong move so they can tighten up. Thank goodness I have to get a fasting blood test done this morning and the dr is already checking for potassium and magnesium and a lot of other things. Maybe they will be able to tell what's causing this. Whatever it is, I'm obviously "extra-deficient" in it today. :hyst:

ravenrose 09-27-2013 08:30 AM

sorry to keep harping on this, but have you tried drinking LOTS of water when they strike?

You just started induction and are losing water FAST right now, right? this is pretty normal to get bad cramps when you are dehydrated from this in particular. I sometimes have to drink 4 tall glasses of water to get it to stop, but that always works.

good luck! *hug*

brooke&kaitlynsmom 09-27-2013 08:45 AM

I've been drinking a gallon of water a day since I started. Guess I need to add more.:dunno:

cfine 10-07-2013 06:33 PM

Chicken broth!!

Monster 10-14-2013 02:19 PM

Are you taking an over the counter potassium pill? You are washing out potassium on induction too. If you take a bunch of these they will kill you - no lie. If you take 1 a day, they will help with the cramps.

brooke&kaitlynsmom 10-15-2013 02:55 AM

I had went to the dr and they were doing a complete blood workup. Amazingly, the only thing I was deficient in was just the vitamin D. The results were normal for the potassium, magnesium, etc. I had expected one of those would be low. Everything else was in the normal range. All the dr did was Rx a once a week vitamin D pill.

Patience 10-20-2013 12:07 PM

More sodium is what works for me to stop the cramps -- quite a bit more.
I've supplemented for a long time with P and Mag, but what finally worked against cramps was sodium supplements.

justmaxine55 10-21-2013 10:43 AM

The Atkins book says to either have a 1/2 tsp salt or a cup of beef broth every day. That seems to be working for me.

Rustybeth 10-22-2013 03:15 AM

Pickle juice

I know this sounds crazy, but get some pickle juice--right from the jar and drink a mouthful of it. If you don't have that, try straight vinegar. I know, I know, it sounds horrible, but the pain of the cramp would last a lot longer than swallowing a mouthful of tangy liquid. It's been tested in medical environments--I read about it in a book called "The First Twenty Minutes". I don't have it handy to cite, but it is in there as a proven cramp reliever, almost instantly. And I'd really like to know how it works out for you. I am eternally grateful that I haven't had any cramps recently to test it on.

Good luck.

brooke&kaitlynsmom 10-23-2013 12:16 PM

Rustybeth, that actually sounds like an idea. I've tried everything else, so far that I can find out about it. I might as well try that, too. What have I got to lose except the cramps, right? Can't hurt. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know how it works out.

Patience 10-28-2013 03:17 PM

The broth and most pickle juices also contain salt.
Monster, there are some people who should not take potassium, but I have taken as many as 8 tabs a day, and I am still alive and kicking . No lie! That said, salt is more important for me than potassium. As has been explained to me, our bodies shed potassium in order to hold onto salt. My supplementation with P has gone down as my sodium intake has gone up.

Knock wood, but my cramps are finally fading in frequency and intensity. I wonder if my body is finally adapting to this WOE?

PegLeg 11-12-2013 01:00 AM

I know the water does help , but I never thought of salt. It only makes sense to help the body hold on to the water you drink. I am an old Atkins fan and have just returned to this Woe for the upteenth time so I haven't had cramps yet, but I know they are coming. Good to know.

synger 11-20-2013 10:45 AM

Along with these good suggestions (I definitely supplement potassium and magnesium when I'm first getting into ketosis, and drink a lot of fluid each day), you also may want to begin a stretching regimen.

I find that when I stretch my legs regularly, I am much less likely to get cramps. Or when they threaten, it's easier to keep them at bay until I can get out of bed and walk around.

Oh, and I've had to keep a much closer eye on how much alcohol I drink. More than a couple of drinks, coupled with less fluid intake than usual, coupled with a hot bedroom and sweating... is a recipe for screaming leg cramps for me.

ShellyBelle 11-21-2013 07:33 AM

During the day I can sometimes tell if I'm going to cramp at night. My muscles will feel sore and "weird" almost weak throughout the day - when I have it feeling it never fails, I get a cramp at night. What I try to do is a series of leg and feet stretching exercises (I get them in my feet really bad) prior to going to bed and that will sometimes help. Also, salty broth keeps them under control for me.