Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SC80075
Stats: 304/291.4/140
WOE: Atkins Induction
Start Date: 08/13/13
New here -- introduction :)

Hi everyone!

My name is Stacie, and I am in the century club for sure. I was at the Dr. in May and discovered that I weighed over 300 pounds. My doctor said, "other than your weight, you are very healthy -- for now." I've been trying to lose for a long time, and did, at one point, drop about 65 pounds using Atkins. Most recently I've been debating on having gastric bypass. I sat down with my niece (who is almost my age) and discussed my plans, and she suggested we try one last effort to lose the weight, and if we fail, we'll both consider bariatric surgery.

That was a week ago on Tuesday. I've been low-carb ever since, and going to the gym nearly every day. As of today, I am 293.5, so I am definitely seeing progress.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you a little about myself and hopefully I can find a few friends for online support and community.

I'm 41, and I have had a total hysterectomy -- which means my metabolism is almost non-existant. I have never been a big-portion eater -- but my downfall has always been coca cola -- I LOVE it. In addition to coke, I also love Ben & Jerry very mch -- they're like family to me. LOL. I gave them all up last Tuesday, and as of today, absolutely no cravings. I've been going to the gym since last Tuesday, but yesterday was the first day I met with my personal trainer. I've been walking treadmill, but the trainer wants to change things up a bit. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that yet or not.

On my first day at the gym, I was only able to walk .51 miles on the treadmill. Second day, I got up to .62 It increased a little each day, and this a.m. I walked 1.32 miles on the treadmill. It doesn't take long to build up strength and endurance. Good music helps a bunch though!

Anyway -- I'm a recently divorced mom of 3 living near Allentown, PA. I love to travel -- my profile picture was taken in Prague 2 summers ago -- I'm heavier now. I love to enter sweepstakes as a hobby. My goal is to get healthy, but a secondary goal is to get so hot that my ex-husband notices. LOL.

I'm committed to a 2 - year contract at my gym, so I'm here to stay. I feel very much that I am ready to live again, and hopefully Atkins and my low-carb friends will help me reach my goal!

Please say hello! I want to meet new people and make friends as I go!

Nice to meet you all,

Stacie
SC80075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammi
Stats: 261/225/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2013
Hi Stacie,

I would like to join you in living healthy. I am 58, divorced, with two grown children. I am taking this year off from work to get healthy. I have been on and off diets since my 20's. Ten years ago I lost 90 pounds just by eating a strict low carb diet and doing walking DVDs . Of course I gained it all back plus more by not following through with all the work I put in. I must be serious now because this weight is so bad and I want to travel and have fun. I haven't worn a bathing suit since I was 19 .

I think we could encourage each other and whoever else would like to join in. We can do it! We will take it day by day or pound by pound.
Sammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sammi

Hi Sammi,

I tried to reply last night and my family showed up and one thing led to another and I ended up going to bed. I wanted to reply because I absolutely want to support each other -- day by day -- pound for pound -- of which, I have 2 more this morning (sigh).

I have a sneaking suspicion that my 2 additional pounds might be the result of not eating enough versus eating too much. I took lunch to work (deli turkey and cheese rolls) and when I bit into them, I was almost certain they had spoiled. So I threw my lunch away and didn't eat. It was ok, because I wasn't hungry anyway. Later that night, I ate a string cheese, and it tasted sour too -- so I think it might be something with my taste buds. I did eat a decent dinner last night, and I took in almost no carbs yesterday. I bought some test strips and I checked this a.m -- I am in Ketosis. Hopefully the additional 2 pounds I gained today are temporary.

How was your night? I tried to find a way to personal message on here, but I couldn't see it. I leave for work at 9:30 a.m. EST and get home at 8 pm est. If you try to communicate and don't hear back, work is why ...

I look forward to hearing back from you! I hope you have a fabulous, super-low-carb day .

Stacie
Old 08-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
It sounds like you are off to a great start Stacie.
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning Stacey and Jaz,

Stacey you sound like you are doing so good. Every day is a struggle for me. I just try very carefully to watch all my carbs.

I do try to eat three meals a day because otherwise I feel drained and weak. Last week I tried to skip meals and it backfired on me. I binged on cookies.

I am going to use the ketosis strip today. I have never used them before.

I had a great night. The usual, watch tv and read. My children are grown so the house is very quiet. Well except for my 120 pound dog. My daughter just called me, we are getting another 120pound Great Pyrenees from a rescue. Two is my limit.

You mentioned you traveled in Prague, are you a fellow traveler? I love to travel!

Jaz, I see a picture of you with your son? How many children do you have? I miss not having young children around.

Have a good day to both of you and happy weightloss.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jazlyn
Stats: 290/243/160
Sammi, that is my daughter and my son. I have 3 children, 24,20, and 13 and one granddaughter who is 3. I need to update my picture. That one is really old. lol
Jazlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Prague!

Hi Sammi,

Yes, I am indeed a fellow traveler. I will go anywhere -- if I can afford to
I spent 2 summers ago practically living in Prague and Krakow (Poland). I LOVE Central/Eastern Europe and have plans to go back over Christmas. I'm already planning another trip for very early June of next year. I tried to start a group travel site for plus sized individuals (Big World Travel) but couldn't really get much going.

Maybe one day we can take a trip together. I hope by the time I travel in June of next year that I'm down about 100 pounds. Of course, it doesn't help that I went back up 2 pounds today with absolutely NO cheating. Uggh. I'm hoping I lose those 2 plus one more tomorrow. Didn't make it to the gym this a.m., so going tonight at 8. That's incentive to work just a little harder.

Stacie
Old 08-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: got2getmoving
Stats: 298/295/xxx
WOE: trying to figure it out
Start Date: everyday
Looks like you are off to a good start! I am about the same weight and age as you, but I can't seem to get my mind in the right way and just keep putting more weight on. Good luck on your journey!
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:25 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Hi Fonda,

It took me several stop and start attempts mostly with calorie counting to get my mind straight and to finally do this. Unfortunately, by that time, I was up over 300 pounds. If your head isn't right, it is very very difficult to do.

I have my moments, but something has triggered inside of me this time, and I absolutely do not even remotely want any of the old comfort foods. I have been thinking seriously about bariatric surgery -- and this is my last attempt before giving in to it. I don't want to do it that way, I want to do it this way. I'm praying every day that I can keep going, keep seeing the numbers on the scale go down and that I keep having the will and determination to go to the gym when everything inside of me wants to be at home watching TV and relaxing.

Low carb is definitely easier for me than calorie counting. When I calorie count, I start skipping meals so that I can have ice cream, etc. This time, except for the rare occasion, I don't even want ice cream. Ice water has become my very best friend. I drink it obsessively.

I don't know for certain I will be able to lose the weight I want to shed, but I know that if I don't try every single day, the answer will be much clearer -- no, I won't. So, take some time to yourself -- think about your goals and see if you can find the reason you're not being able to commit. Maybe there is something you need to do before you can really wrap your head around loving yourself enough to do this.

I'm here for help and support if you want or need it. We all do from time to time. I hope you're having a better day today!

Stacie
Old 08-23-2013, 07:49 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Stacie! I have been on and off low carb for almost 12 years. I did really well 13 years ago, lost about 40 lbs got pregnant - then went back to eating poorly. Did really good about 3-4 years ago, exercising 4 days a week - eating on track and lost about 40 lbs. My schedule at work changed - kids' daycare provider stopped - stopped exercising due to schedule changes and then eventually went back to my poor eating habits. I now weigh about 40 lbs heavier than my starting weight I did 3-4 years ago (80 lbs heavier if you count the loss and then the gain!!!!).

I love the way low carb make me feel, emotionally and physically - that is why I don't understand why I can't or won't make the committment! My entire body aches, I am miserable and constantly on an emotional roller coaster!

"I don't know for certain I will be able to lose the weight I want to shed, but I know that if I don't try every single day, the answer will be much clearer -- no, I won't. So, take some time to yourself -- think about your goals and see if you can find the reason you're not being able to commit. Maybe there is something you need to do before you can really wrap your head around loving yourself enough to do this."

This is so true ---you would think my kids, my health and my husband would be reasons enough. I just don't know what it is going to take to get it together.

I will be following your journey and cheering you on!
Old 08-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Good Morning All,

Fonda, I have been many times where you are right now. It was very hard this time to finally get my head into the game. I don't know what the final spark was. Really I think there was quite a few combined.

When I grocery shop, I feel like people look into my cart to see what the fat person is eating. When I go anywhere, wether it be a movie, dinner a party or even church, I scan the crowd to see if I am the heaviest woman there. Usually I am. I will never forget about 30 years ago going into a restaurant with my then husband and my two great children. When I was seated, the table next to us had two couples. When we sat down, one of the men mooed at me. I was soooo embarrassed. My family did not hear, but I ordered nothing to eat. I was mortified. Do you think that put me on track? No, I just ate more feeling sorry for myself. I also have a thin sister who would in a roundabout way make indirect comments about my weight. I think she meant well,but approached me in the wrong way.
Also, going to an amusement park and not being able to snap a belt on. It didn't fit. The airplane is another story. Asking for a seatbelt extender. Yuck.

I am done with the pity party. We have the power to make ourselves happy. I look everyday to all the great things in my life. It took a long time to get to this point. Life is good,, and I am trying daily to live it healthy and happy. This time the weight loss is just for me. I want to get off high blood pressure medication. I want to travel. I want new cute clothes. I always took care of everyone else,now it's my turn!
I'm sorry I got long winded there. I could just go on and on, but we all have our stories to tell that got us to this point.

I wish you well Fonda and hopefully we can help you back to being healthy.

Have a Good Friday everyone.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Sammi! We are similiar in many ways. I appreciate your openeness.
got2getmoving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sequins
Stats: current goal: 299 lbs
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: Pro-Atkins since 1999
*Waves from down in Lititz*

Welcome, Stacie. Hope it's going well for you.

Having had gastric bypass way back in 1988, I can tell you that it DOES work. That being said, I'd never, ever do it again. I have several very bad (life threatening) health problems as a result. I'd be happy to talk about them privately if you want to hear.

I hope Atkins gives you so much success you never go down that road.

Melissa
Sequins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:15 PM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Hi Stacie, welcome, hope all is well with you. Back n 2001 and again in 2003 I looked into bariatric surgery, went to their support meetings, met the team, did the workbook they suggested, Habits nt Diets, and eventually decided that since I was losing ever so slowly I would wait and see. I eventually found that I needed portion control so started weighing my portions along with no sugar, grains, starches and alcohol in Dec 2003. It was what I needed and lost the rest of my weight over the next three years. I had a blip in 2011 for 7 weeks where I ate crap again and regained 32 lbs in 7 weeks. It was my wake up call and now am back with what worked years ago and learning to maintain. That has been my challenge this year. I never had the surgery and am grateful I didn't go that route. From the people I met that were successful with the surgery, it took a lifetime committment to change their life style one day at a time. They used the resizing of their stomach or a sleeve or a band to accomplish that as a tool to prevent them from regaining. Instead of that tool, I used the kitchen scale to gauge how much was enough. I get the same benefits with my guts intact. I am very grateful I never went down that road.

I only got on the scale once a month because my husband had to take me to hisoffice so I could use their scale in the shipping dept, so we went once a month. I git into that habit and it helped a lot because the number on the scale some months stayed the same or only dropped a couple pounds. But over the year I lost between 25-50 lbs a year. It took me five years to loose it all. By then it was ingrained into my psyche and it gave me a chance to get to know the new Mary in a smaller body. It has been so long now that the memory of her has faded but is not forgotten.

I wish you the best and would love to support you through your journey.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hi Melissa and Mary

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm still hanging in there, so we'll see where this goes. Melissa -- you are so close! I appreciate that you are willing to talk. I'll let you know if I decide to go that route, but for now, I'm going to stick with Atkins and exercise.

Stacie