Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   The Century Club (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/)
-   -   Brand new and already craving (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/century-club/809538-brand-new-already-craving.html)

tubbypsychrn 08-05-2013 05:52 PM

Brand new and already craving

Hi folks. Today is the first day of my new low-carb diet. I've been avoiding it for years, knowing that so many of my favorite foods are sugary starchy bits of heaven wrapped in awesome. But I had an appointment with a new GI doc today, and she's made it pretty clear: low carb or bust.

I've already been eyeing my daughter's M&Ms and have been obsessing over CHIPS for hours. Doritos, Ruffles, kettle cooked, in a bag, in a cardboard cylinder, and eventually in my belly. I'm so ridiculously carb-addicted.

On the upside, I've survived the day. Hamburger patties with mozzarella cheese and tomato sauce for lunch and broiled cod for dinner. But you know what would just top off the day? A big bag of chips, followed by a heaping pile of cookies, all chased down by a nice cold glass of Coke.

I'm in trouble...

thecloude1 08-05-2013 06:01 PM

:welcome: You can do this!! The first few days have to be the hardest...it does get easier :D. Make a bucket list of things you want to do as a thinner person...whenever you are having these cravings...revisit this list and ask yourself which is more important...the cookie or ??? Good Luck!!

Natalia 08-05-2013 06:06 PM

It sounds like you need to purge the temptation. Only allow your family's treats that you don't care for.

The first few days aren't easy because you're detoxing from wheat and sugar. Allow yourself as many servings as you need of induction food.

Don't forget about salty broth with butter. It will help your electrolytes so you won't have such a headache from detox.

Hang in there!!

Jazlyn 08-07-2013 07:28 AM

It takes me about 3 days for the cravings to go away. How are you doing?

Natalia 08-07-2013 08:20 AM

I hope we didn't lose the OP to the Dark Side!

Missy's Journey 08-09-2013 09:19 AM

takes me a good week before food isn't an obsession. stay strong

Spagirl116 08-12-2013 07:34 AM

Join one of the groups so you can get additional encouragement! Some of the ladies who have already responded to you are in the Labor Day Challenge. We made a goal to be X amount of weight down by Labor Day. Then we are going to do a Halloween Challenge. No one is holding you to what your goal is, but we will encourage you to get there! I haven't seen you respond yet, we are all hoping you got past the cravings and are on your journey! Good luck.

Michelle765 08-12-2013 10:03 AM

Missing chips and dip?

PORK RINDS!! They are salty, crunchy awesomeness with 0 carbs. They are horribly addictive though, so I don't buy them often. I love using kind of wide green pepper strips to scoop salsa up (Simple Truth Organic has 1g/tablespoon and is YUMMY). I also make a dip from mashed Hass/California avocado, 1/2 c sour cream and 1/2 cup mayo, salt to taste. Dipping green pepper in that is heavenly!

If your sugar cravings just won't let go, try 1t of l-glutamine powder in 4 oz of cold water or so. Stir for a minute, then chug it. It does the trick for me and is not horribly expensive.

pooticus 08-13-2013 05:36 AM

Eat something low carb, fatty and delicious. Hard to feed the cravings when you're full from real food. It does get better. The first 3 days are def the hardest. Congrats on making a decision towards health!

Sequins 08-30-2013 02:55 PM

It's hard with kids around. My son's 15 and loves his sweets and crunchies. :/ Best thing you can do it NOT think about it. Find an activity (even an stupid online game) to turn to when you get those urges. If it gets really bad, go for the string cheese or a HB egg.

And Welcome! Welcome :)

Natalia 08-31-2013 06:13 AM

OP hasn't been here since the 10th.
I think we lost her to Carbville :(

Elizabeth779 09-15-2013 11:47 PM

Hi, I read this post and was going to try to encourage the OP, and note she has not posted back.....which has scared me since I so relate to her carb addiction issues.......so I'm going to post a similar topic and reach out to other low carb supporters.

Dear OP, we hope you're doing well.....:)

jseymour1591 09-16-2013 08:10 AM

Orbit sugar free gum in spearmint helped me with cravings the first week or two! Every time I thought about anything I couldnt eat I would pop a piece in my mouth!

Elizabeth779 09-29-2013 12:49 AM

I'll try the Orbit sugar free gum trick....I'm past the hardest days of getting back on LC track....I love when the sugar cravings go away....it makes me feel free and unburdened.

Dear original poster -- if you come back, please respond.....we want to help you on your journey since so many people have been so wonderful to help us.....

hope you're doing well......even if you've slipped up, you can always get back on track

ladyvanessa 10-03-2013 11:50 AM

Try taking some n-acetyl cysteine for the cravings. I find it really helps!