Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Support Groups > The Century Club
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: oncloud9now2
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 5/27/13
Sorry your headache hasn't gone away, Michele.
oncloud9now2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Sorry Vilya! It will get better! You have done so well! Amazing!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

alassea- I keep a food and weight journal on a website that counts your calories, carbs, etc. You can also add exercise to show calories burned.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: alassea
WOE: kiss atkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
alassea- Wish I was more crafty. I'm not good at it at all. I do have a best friend and a sister that swap clothes around with me. We are all doing this WOE now so maybe we won't need to do that anymore. When one gained, they gave smaller clothes to whoever was smaller at that time.
jan, I've tried lots of crafts over the years, i used to take a lot of adult ed classes so I've done crocheting (i'm still beginner/moderate but i can read a pattern), sewing & quilting (not where my talent lies but i certainly appreciate others can sew!), metalsmithing (again, not my forte), rug punching (kinda like rug hooking) and lots and lots of beading classes which are my favorites! I've been doing collages lately (you can't go wrong with magazines, scissors and glue!) and making/folding paper boxes (bottom and lid).

pinterest is my friend
alassea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncloud9now2 View Post
alassea- I keep a food and weight journal on a website that counts your calories, carbs, etc. You can also add exercise to show calories burned.
i keep a hand written food journal and i also use [Removed by moderator. Please see this link for details: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...hone-apps.html] as for exercise, i have some mobility issues so I've been checking out youtube for chair exercise videos. then i need to just do it and make it a habit which is easier said than done.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

I too have medical problems that keep me from exercising. I am trying to walk more. Just move more. I'm starting from almost completely sedentary. I'm trying to march in place during commercials.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #37
Major LCF Poster!

I used to make earrings. I love jewelry. I still have the beads, gems backs, etc... but haven't tried in years. I was never actually that good at it, but I enjoyed doing it.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

The boxes sound interesting. I know I sound like a broken record but I'm not very good with technology. I doubt if I could navigate Pinterest.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

hi jan, some exercise is better than no exercise at all until we can make it an every day habit. i used to walk everywhere years ago. now i'm at the point where i need two total knee replacements so walking as a form of exercise isn't an option. that's why i'm looking at those chair exercise youtube videos. don't let the fact that you're sitting fool you, they still make you work it. for most of those videos all you need is a chair with no side arms , like a kitchen chair.

i find beading very addictive , there's just something about all those shiny sparkly little beads and all the pretty colors. if something can be glued down then i can usually bead all over it and around it.

another good thing about beading.....you don't want to get your work dirty so you don't bring food or drinks around it (and i will make people wash their hands first before i let em touch some of my stuff !)

for the paper boxes , all you need is two pieces of square paper , one piece is a 1/4 of an inch smaller than the other, and with some folding and a little bit of cutting you have a cute gift box!

and as for pinterest, i might never have heard about it if i hadn't read about it in someone's post here on lcf. i didn't know anything about it until i googled it, then went there and just started clicking on stuff. after a while you get the hang of it!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:15 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBelly
Stats: 239/219/195
WOE: deb's low glycemic carb based on Atkins & S Beach
Start Date: 5/13/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phranquie View Post
My goal for this 8 week challenge is to stick to plan and lose down to 140lbs, for a loss of 19.4lbs. This will be a real test for me as I will be travelling for 3-4 weeks during this time.
go Frankie go! I know you are the one that's going to do it.
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TheBelly
Stats: 239/219/195
WOE: deb's low glycemic carb based on Atkins & S Beach
Start Date: 5/13/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by alassea View Post
hi jan, some exercise is better than no exercise at all until we can make it an every day habit. i used to walk everywhere years ago. now i'm at the point where i need two total knee replacements so walking as a form of exercise isn't an option
I hear ya. I broke my foot.. it's healed now but walking is not the same now I ride a bike.
TheBelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I've stayed on plan during the last challenge, and that is what I plan to continue.
My plan is 20 or fewer carbs a day, and I've met that goal I guessing 90+% of my days.
I say guess because I am still not systematically recording my food. I am getting better at this, but must keep that on my goal list for this challenge. No alcohol is one of my top goals and that I've kept to completely. Easy to measure that one! I also managed to get a battery and put into my scale (that was another goal met!). End of denial. My first weight was 172, and I've been weighing at 170 for over a week. So I am OK with that weight, as I know I've lost since restarting in March. Only God will ever know what my start weight was (I am sure it was my lifetime high), but I've lost a size. I could do more exercise, but I am not sedentary. Lots of strenuous yard work, but would like to incorporate more systematic strength training and that sort of thing. Still it's third on my list. So, going forward:

1. Stick to plan (which includes no alcohol)
2. Improve tracking of food
3. Increase activity level

Last edited by Patience; 07-07-2013 at 07:39 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:56 AM   #43
Major LCF Poster!

Post removed by moderator. Please see links for details: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...hone-apps.html and Terms of Service - Policy Modification
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

We will continue to have gully washers today. Up another 1/2 lb. today. Total= 1 1/2 lbs. in last 2 days with no cheating. Rain is depressing; especially in the amounts we've had lately. Don't even know how many days in a row we've had these storms. DH was out yesterday and he saw transformers blowing as he was driving down a major highway! Unbelievable.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Mary, is your weight loss story on here somewhere? I would love to hear your story.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #46
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
Oncoud9now2...if my story is out here, it is buried in one of these many threads.

I will try to net is out.

I was a chubby child who was put told at age 10 by the doctor, she will outgrow it, but if not, bring her back at age 12 for some help. So at age 12, I was counting calories...700-1000 a day and was given speed by the doctor. I can't believe my mother allowed this but backin the 1950's they didn't know any better. Mom was obese after having 7 sons and me at the end. Dad was tall and slender. Needless to say, I didn't inherit his genes.

I never kept the weight off for any length of time because it was all a diet...you go on it and you go off it. I didn't know how to maintain. I would get scared at a normal weight because I didn't know how to be me.

Teen years brought more dieting. I loved sweets and would stockpile the candy during Lent only to consume most of it in the week following Easter. On a Saturday I could consume half a loaf of white bread toasted loaded with margarine and cinnamon/sugar.

My dad died when I was 10. It was a big deal in my life. One more thing to make me different. I went to college and lost weight to get into a special dress at age 20. Success! Problems in college and I had to leave for a year. All this time, I was weighing in from a high of 198 to 160 in high school and college. Even at 170 I had a fat mentality. I went hiking at 26 and met my husband climbing Mt Washington. We had two kids, a boy and a girl. I gained 80 lbs with the first preg and lost 60, then gained 90 lbs with the second bringing me to 250 lbs. I tried weight Watchers, Tops, one meal a day, and a 12 step program at age 30. I lost weight finally. I got down to 200 lbs, then proceeded the yo yo syndrome from age 34 to 52... Trying a few more diets, 12 steps again, then gave up. My mom died when I was 28 and it took me 20 years to grieve and get on with life. I suffered from depression during that time. My kids became teens with many problems. My husband got into AA in 1984 and recovered from his drinking addiction but I never quite got it. At age 44, I was up to 300 lbs and ate for the next 8 years getting up to 376 lbs.

At age 52, I was thinking of WLS as an easy out. Thankfully, I wasn't able to meet their requirements of attending their support meetings as it was too far away. A co-worker said she could help me if I could give up sugar and grains. I told her I could and thus became my odyssey in 2001. I went for my physical and told my doctor I was doing Atkins. My sugars were at insulin resistant stages, good cholestoral was low at 37 and blood pressure was 150/90, heading in the wrong direction. My doctor didn't know much about Atkins other than she wanted to watch my cholesterol. The nurse set my goal weight at 170 lbs which I thought was a joke. I visited with a counselor and nutritionist and let it go in one ear and out the other as they were telling me to do low fat.

Two years later, I went back to the doctor for a physical, having lost 75 lbs and still doing Atkins. I found this website around June 2001 and was a great support tool. My cholesterol wentuo by a point because the good chol went up by 9 and the bad down by 8 pts. At this time, I was thinking I really did need the WLS and there was a group in the next town. I weighed 300 lbs and was losing very slowly but the half dozen pills I was taking were being reduced. In the third year I went to the WLS meetings, met the surgical team, worked on a book they recommended, Habits not Diets, and met the group of gals having the surgery. They wanted meto lose 15 lbs and go to the support meetings. Over the course of this year, I joined the YMCA, went swimming, and lost 25 lbs in year 3. But when I thought my weight was stalled, I knew I needed more structure as I was eating all day long and still lost but I was not developing good eating habits. I reread the books and none of them really said how much was enough. The barometer in my head that told me how much was enough didn't work. I asked on these threads if anyone knew of a low carb structured food plan and I was directed to a 12 step program. A lady on here became my sponsor and I worked the food plan she told me to do. I called her every night and we planned my weighed and measured meals for the next day. When she could no longer sponsor me, I found someone else who was doing this food plan. I have not let a day go by without committing my 3 meals to a sponsor EXCEPT in 2011 when I thought I could do it on my own. I put her number away, locked up the kitchen scale and proceeded to eat like what I thought a normal person ate only to gain 32 lbs in 7 weeks. During that time, after I started to eat sugars and grains, my panic attacks returned with lightning speed in just 3 short weeks. My life was spiraling down hill. I finally broke down and called for help and restarted with a new sponsor. Within 3 weeks, the sugar, grains and panic attacks were gone.

To this day I call a sponsor every day as part of my program. I use this website for support along with phone meetings, phone calls, 12 steps and other media. I am maintaining a 225 lb weight loss or should I say learning how to maintain one day at a time. I examine my life and make changes. I needed to change me in order to change the outcome. I can't blame my morbidly obese life on anyone. It is not a moral issue in my mind. It is a disease and is just now being recognized as such. But it is more than a physical disease, it is an emotional and spiritual disease. I was filled with anger, fears, resentments, doubts and insecurities. I was discontented with my life. After working through the steps, I feel as if the promises of a life second to none are coming true.

As soon as I pick up the first compulsive bite, my compulsion to eat again is off and running. To keep it at bay, I need to do my program one day at a time. My food plan is simple...3 weighed and measured meals with nothing in between except coffee, tea, water or diet soda without exception. But my abstinence includes writing my food plan down on paper, calling it into my GS sponsor, giving it all to The God of my understanding. I tried to do it on my own. It is just another diet and I fail if I do. I am not an island as the song goes. There are some things that are on my food plan that I don't eat because I am allergic in some way to them, like dairy and nutrasweet. I don't eat beans/legumes, grains, alcohol, sugars and hydrogenated fats/sugars. I do eat eggs, meat, fish, poultry, soy, greek yogurt, veggies (raw & cooked), a fruit and fat in a structure that gives me about 100 total carbs a day with 30 grams of fiber. It is about 30-35% protein, 40-45% fat, 20-25% carbs. I lost 75 lbs in 2004 after having lost 100 lbs on Atkins. Then the next 50 lbs came off over the next two years.

In 2006 I had a panniculectomy and in 2013 a neck and face lift removing hangin skin and jowls. I also had the excess skin removed from my upper lids. I am saving up for my arms in a couple years. I was 52 when I started having just entered menopause and using a cane to get from point A to point B. This year I turned 65 years and have a walking program where I shoot for 8,000 to 10,000 steps a day.

If you click on my name here, I think you can see my before pics. I used to be a size 34-36 (5x-6x) and am now an 8-10 (medium). Miracles do happen with God's help and my fellow humans. I do my part by taking the next right action and leave the results in God's hands. No more diets. Thank you for asking about my story.

MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #47
Major LCF Poster!

Wow. I am so inspired and amazed by you! I am going to copy and print this if you don't mind. ? I would like to keep it for those down times. I pray in a year or two or however many it takes, to tell you and others my story and I can only hope it will inspire them as much as yours has me.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

I don't mind at all. There were many who inspired me early on so that I could keep taking one step in front of the other. We need each other.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Yes, we do. Thank you so much for sharing.
Do you count the carbs in veggies? I do but have heard others say they don't. I don't think I would ever lose if I didn't because I would eat too much. Also, there are some great recipes on here but if I ever stray from 'straight' meat and veggies I gain or don't lose. Is that normal? When I made the LC Eggplant Parm I was up 1 1/2 lbs. and it took about 3 days to get them off. ???
Old 07-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Mary- Your pics are amazing! You look like a different person! I know you feel like a different person too.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #51
Blabbermouth!!!

Oncloud9now2, I only counted the carbs initially when I got the foodplan outline to see how it broke down. The calories vary from 1200-1500 depending on the type of protein. The carbs vary slighly depending on the type of veggie.

I have found I like a few different breakfasts that I vary, rotating them so I don't eat the same thing. Some proteins I get more than others. For example, at breakfast the basic outline is 4 oz protein and 8 oz fruit or the eqivalent of 1 fruit. I can't eat dairy cheese as it upsets my stomach. But if I could, it would be just 2 oz dairy hard cheese or 4 oz cottage or ricotta cheese. But I can use soy cheese, and I can mix proteins, so today I am having a jumbo egg with an oz of shredded soy cheese and an oz of cooked bacon. I make an omelette with the egg and soy cheese and add 2 oz hot salsa (optional) to it. On days when I feel decadent, I have cantelope for my fruit. I can have 8 oz or 1/2 cantelope. So breakfast is the meal I have the most carbs. From everything I have read, it is the best meal to have a fruit.

I usually have a meat protein at lunch. So today I am planning 4 oz roast chicken, 8 oz kale, 8 oz salad, 1/2 oz or 1 tbsp fat (dressing &/or butter). There are some optional condiments that I use.

At supper is where I have my Greek Yogurt for protein, 8 oz, with 4 oz pumpkin, 16 oz salad, 1-1/2 oz fat (dressing &/or butter), 1/2 oz ground flax seed meal in my yogurt & pumpkin. It is like a custard that I stick in the freezer a bit. I add stevia, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla flavoring. So the 8 oz yogurt = 4 oz protein. I read that it isn't good to have yogurt for breakfast because of the acid in our stomachs when we wake up.

I could just as easily have meat, eggs, fish, poultry as my 4 oz protein at any meal.

So what I am doing is measuring portions. The carbs have been established. When I eat fish for protein instead of bacon, I save a 150 cal for the day. I did this 1-2 a week when I was losing. I like fish and still enjoy it occasionally, especially swordfish, tilapia, haddock, cod and scallops, but they are a special treat. If I have 4 oz cooked bacon, it is when I want to have a special treat. People get quite creative when working with a set list of menu items. Although I don't eat a lot of soy, I do have it for breakfast about 4 times a week. There are a zillion ways to fix it.

Anyways it works. I have seen others besides myself lose over 100 to 200 lbs and keep it off. We work the 12 steps with it which lets us work on our emotional and spiritual recovery too. I am learning how to express my emotions and not be a people pleaser. I am learning how to establish boundaries.

We only weigh once a month because if we follow the outline, the number on the bathroom scale will take care of itself. My indicators with the doctor changed. Blood pressure is 118/70, cholesterol is 158 with the good cholesterol up from 37 to 67. Triglycerides are 58, fasting sugars are 83. Even though I had 5 brothers (2 living) and had a mother with diabetes, I don't have it.

Exercise isn't necessary but I found I had more energy as time went on so decided to take up walking because I could fit it in anytime, anywhere.

Whatever food plan you use, I suggest you do it without exception. How tall are you, age and weight?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Mary- I am 5'4" tall, 58 years old and weigh 305.5 as of this morning. I have never put my weight on anything. This is a big deal for me to post this. Since being on here, I have hinted at weight. I feel more comfortable on LCF than anywhere so far. I would never tell my dh. I know hw is not blind , but I don't want him to know exactly..??
I live a pretty sedentary lifestyle but would like to begin walking more. I have congestive heart failure, in 3rd stage renal failure(not on dialysis) HB pressure, bulging discs in neck and spurs on knees from arthritis.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
hope everyone had a good holiday weekend!

Mary: amazing story

Jan: I'm glad you feel comfortable here! It's amazing how just losing a few pounds can start to heal the body!

Today I am going to try to eat less salt and calories and drink more water...seems like I keep losing and gaining the same 3-5 lbs
Made some Knox blox and planning on making some oopsie rolls this afternoon...have to watch Days first

Have a great day!!
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Hope leaving off salt works for you. Fluid can wreck havic on your weight.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: thecloude1
Stats: 325/261/150
Start Date: February 4, 2013
Jan: Not only salt but the darn heat gets me too
thecloude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #56
Blabbermouth!!!

Frankie, I was reading about RA and ordered some books. It is fascinating. I think I will be busy for a while. Have you read all the books? Which was your favorite?

Oncloud9now2, you definitely have some challenges ahead. So you follow Atkins? Are you doing Induction? Do you look at just carbs or calories and carbs? Do you incorporate veggies too? I remember when I did Atkins even from the beginning, I let myself have a bit of fruit and one slice of Ezekiel toast buttered on Saturday morning. That was something I looked forward too. I eventually got to the point taht I had to look at calories too. I knew I was in it for the long haul. I also knew that anytime I had anything with sugar or flour I would get a negative reaction. The reason I had Ezekiel bread is that it was made from sprouted grain so in some ways it was a veggie more than a grain. Today I don't eat it, but it helped me get through the first year. How has it been working for you?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I can tell just putting on my rings and my shoes that my hands and feet are retaining, and the scale hasn't budged for me in the past 5 days. it seems that my body is a barometer for humidity.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
I am doing pretty good with food the last couple of days. We eat out on weekends so it is more of a challenge. Went to a Buffalo Wild Wings Sat night and requested nutrition info. They had none but told me to look online. Really??? Then online they tell you to request a PDF nutritional info. So I did. Then when they finally send it days later it does not show all the food. That company purposefully makes it hard to see what you are eating, shame on them. Luckily I was able to find out the nutrition info on a wing with no sauce was from other sources.

Mary- I have not read any of the RA books. I just read about it in the Brain Over Binge and it makes a lot of sense to me. Let us know what you think of it.

Jan- PM me your address and I'll get my Fitbit Zip out to you in the mail. (Also be very carful with going around and writing the food journal name out so it is not seen by the moderators. I thought that was OK and they told me it was not and gave me a warning!)

Bella- WTG with sticking to the no alcohol and to losing a size!
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #59
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you soooo much, Frankie. I really need help.
Yesterday I ate about two days worth of LC food. I didn't eat anything off plan but I just couldn't seem to get enough. I ate my normal breakfast of 2 eggs/ 1 sl. cheese/ 1 sausage patty. From there on...bleh. I made LC Eggplant Parm. There were 6 sl.of eggplant and before day was over I had eaten 4. 2 Atkins Bars, 2 Dobie Muffins( 1 w/cream cheese), almost a whole bag pork skins, 3.5 oz. turkey sandwich meat and some peanuts., 1 LC tortilla. I can't believe I ate all that. Several are treats that I would have one of in one day. Oh my!! I am going to be strict with myself today.

B- 2 eggs/ 1 sl. cheese, 3 sl. bacon
L- 1 2.5oz. pouch tuna on 3 Ro. lettuce leaves., ! Dobie Muffin
D- Lg. Ro. lettuce salad w/cucunber and 4 oz. grilled chicken
S- Atkins Bar
Old 07-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Mary- I count carbs but also try to keep my calories under 1400. Usually around 12,000 or less cal. a day. Carbs are usually from 12-18. Some days up to 20 -23, infrequently. My protein and fats are close to the same each day.